coast2coast
Two months ago

Big V Season Predictions

Who are people tipping to win Big V mens this year? For state champ I have Shepparton, unsure about division 1 and 2...

Topic #51825 | Report this topic

TrevorTorrance  
Two months ago

Westgate Imperials maybe???

Reply #936707 | Report this post

Juice  
Two months ago

My Big V prediction is that it will again be run like the step child of the NBL1 and not given the proper effort, respect and investment it deserves. I hope I'm wrong

Reply #936749 | Report this post

AssistantsPen  
Two months ago

I think JUICE hit the nail on the head, crowds will be low for most teams and production costs no doubt reduced down to a substandard podcast and few highlights on instagram.

NBL1 has sucked the life out of the top division and some division 1 teams, I thin Shep will be strong and Broncos in the mens champ.

Division 1 men you'd think RMIT will up there again with Pakenham removed and could see them wiping the league up.

Women's hard to see it not being a top heavy league for most of it, with hope for an upset again in the final like last season.

Westgate is great they are joining, but it's in YL which is already an over subscribed league with too many divisions and dilutes the talent pool of what should be a premier U23s league.

Reply #936761 | Report this post

BallerC93  
Two months ago

Juice and AssistantsPen if it was given proper effort, respect and investment as you suggest, what needs/should be done to see this as being successful from your eyes?

Reply #936778 | Report this post

Hmmm  
Two months ago

It won't be Gippsland United in the Woman - Div2 champs to not fielding a team!

Reply #936801 | Report this post

Juice  
Two months ago

It should have its own app, a dedicated weekly pod cast and show with commentators that actually know the league and the players in it. With video of what they are talking about. Its promotion on social media should include matches of the week in all divisions in which said commentators attend. As well as player features. Basically everything NBL1 gets.

Reply #936802 | Report this post

Fox trot  
Two months ago

Top 2 in each senior mens comp
SCM Men Pakenham & Bellarine
D1 Men RMIT & Warrandyte
D2 Men Mornington & Wallan

Reply #936933 | Report this post

SonicBoomer  
Two months ago

Some fixtures would help...

Reply #936937 | Report this post

AssistantsPen  
Two months ago

Improvements would be

A league structure that promotes success not just trying to shuffle teams who apply would be a good start, 2 up and 2 down like it once was.

Venue standards in the top division something they seemed to have given away over the years, Balwyn High not a Championship standard venue and neither is GSAC except that at least McKinnon put on a show.

Video live streams so a crowd can be seen, instead of coach benches. If we are going to live stream at least have commentators as silence is a horrible view.

Actual league media with coach/player interviews, NBL1 has smashed the BigV in this area and shown it can be done. Generate interest.

Local clubs to step up getting people in the door when its not finals.

Removing Sunday games?? just extend the season play Saturday nights only.

More double header/ triple headers or play youth league on Sundays.

there is a start ...

Reply #936969 | Report this post

SonicBoomer  
Two months ago

> Video live streams so a crowd can be seen, instead of coach benches. If we are going to live stream at least have commentators as silence is a horrible view.
> Actual league media with coach/player interviews, NBL1 has smashed the BigV in this area and shown it can be done. Generate interest.

Great ideas but all this costs money - where is that money coming from? Even if the BV did a tie up with some university journalism programme to get cut-price work experience kids in, that's still a drain on resources. I'd love to see this, but lots of other things need to happen first, like paying scoretable officials and statisticians more than $20 a night

Reply #937003 | Report this post

BigD  
Two months ago

The funny thing about the whole BigV to NBL1 comparison - they're both run by BV, so there’s a reason nothing is being injected into BigV, because they don’t want to.

Reply #937005 | Report this post

AssistantsPen  
Two months ago

Cost everything is a cost in BV while they charge clubs a fortune for a substandard state league comp.

Cut the LIVE streams and give us a less diluted league, less divisions, more competitive games, not stretching talent pools of players and referees. Clubs don't seem to have a problem bouncing out an import but not paying locals or game day staff any better.

Clubs engaging with their junior programs, the fact that some large junior programs don't attend senior games shows there is a HUGE disconnect (not a league issue) but the league should be looking into this (NBL1 does) If you're in the championship division men or women and playing in front of parents on a Saturday night questions should be asked if you're really promoting the game and its pathways.

Reply #937015 | Report this post

Red ‘n’ blue  
Last month

With the season about to commence I was wondering if anyone knew of new players/transfers in big and championship level

Reply #938840 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:12 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754