Dunkman
Two months ago

Nz at kings elimination play in final

Both sides stacked but average game. Home cooking not helping.

Topic #51838 | Report this topic

Dunkman  
Two months ago

Awarding mediocrity by let sides 4/5 in finals, both sides are average. Home cooking not helping breakers though. Cheatham just done an ankle by diving Adams diving for the ball.

Reply #937032 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Two months ago

Can't understand mody playing cheatham on the perimeter the whole first quarter with no effect. As soon as they got him in the paint it created opportunities for him and more space for pjc.

Reply #937033 | Report this post

Screeningnick  
Two months ago

Normally I'd just say this game is rigged to get Sydney over the line.

But then I remember NBL refs are just the worst in any pro league in the world.

Reply #937037 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two months ago

It's a farce, nz get back into the game and refs come to kings aid.

Reply #937038 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two months ago

Horrible disqualification

Reply #937039 | Report this post

hoopie  
Two months ago

Agree rep the reffing comments - not even subtle, either. The NBL needs Sydney's $ and eyeballs more than NZ’s.

Reply #937040 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two months ago

Rubstavicious is a gun at both ends and refs get rid of him on two dubious calls, I like Hunter as a player but he's been moving on every screen and no calls.

Reply #937041 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two months ago

Come on breakers. PJC is an excellent player.

Reply #937042 | Report this post

SmallieBiggs  
Two months ago

PJC!!!
Goodnight Kings.

Reply #937046 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two months ago

Clear foul foul on WMW and no call, it's rubbish. Go breakers.

Reply #937047 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two months ago

HOOPS CAPITAL BABY!

Reply #937048 | Report this post

Knowall  
Two months ago

The refs are plain fkn cheating

Reply #937049 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two months ago

Onya, Breakers!
Tough stuff.

Reply #937050 | Report this post

Knockdown3  
Two months ago

What did PJC say to the commentators??

Reply #937051 | Report this post

retired  
Two months ago

Kings GONE.

Smith,Longley and Bogut-oh how sad-ha ha ha

Good game from Breakers-Cartwright outstanding.

Breakers to play Hawks now.

Reply #937052 | Report this post

Drexler  
Two months ago

Pretty to watch. PJCs talent is almost as infectious as his terminal case of little man syndrome! I love it

Reply #937053 | Report this post

Knockdown3  
Two months ago

That postgame interview he just gave was atrocious

Reply #937054 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two months ago

It was. But the rest of his night more than made up for it.

Reply #937056 | Report this post

Knockdown3  
Two months ago

Breakers Hawks in Wollongong will be a great match up.

Reply #937057 | Report this post

Knockdown3  
Two months ago

"It was. But the rest of his night more than made up for it."

For sure. He had a killer game tonight.

Reply #937058 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two months ago

PJC absolutely ripping into Rucker, ranked him 7th in some list he made, lmao. I'll be honest I like to be team neutral but after the way the refs made early calls I couldn’t help but back breakers. PJC absolutely magnificent, Cheatham and WMW also played great under major injury concerns. Leafa also if he concentrates on D. Wonderful team effort from nz.

Kings are a rabble, too much iso and players who think they are better than they are, not enough blue collar workers. It would be a very hard team to coach. Back to back though is a very reasonable achievement though for the former hoops capital.

Reply #937059 | Report this post

Ski 76  
Two months ago

Will Hoops Capital be taken off the court next season?

Reply #937060 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two months ago

Kings and Flames both out, more like Poops Capital.

Reply #937061 | Report this post

Knockdown3  
Two months ago

Agree dunkman regarding Sydney.
There's no continuity through the game with offense like that.
Not to mention on and off defense.

PJC was outstanding
If he really thinks that Ruckers opinion matters that much, then he should probably re-assess his priorities, otherwise he's carrying way too much of a potato farm on his shoulder.

His match up next game with Swaka La Bullok/Hickey will be a riveting battle.

Reply #937062 | Report this post

hoopie  
Two months ago

Hoopless Capital or Hopeless Capital - I can't decide LoL

Reply #937063 | Report this post

Ski 76  
Two months ago

Terrible recruiting imo.

Valentine washed NBA player was never good enough.
Hogg was injured way too much would of moved him on sooner.
Adams living off prior glory looked like he didnt give a f all season.

Reply #937064 | Report this post

hoopie  
Two months ago

I'm starting to feel sorry for the Sydney coach - he’s going to be the scapegoat, regardless of how good or bad he actually was.

Reply #937065 | Report this post

Sykesb  
Two months ago

Sydney coach has to go, no adjustments at all, poor rotations and lost the locker room, Kings could have saved this season if they axed him early.

Reply #937066 | Report this post

101 annon  
Two months ago

Happy now Sydney's season is over ( I’m a Kings supporter) to inconsistent to go any further & probably didn’t deserve to make the finals.
NOW SACK THE COACH

Reply #937067 | Report this post

LV  
Two months ago

Hoops Capital

Reply #937068 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two months ago

@ hoopie, totally agree, who knows if the kings coach is any good, I do agree that his subbing was woeful all season, maybe trying to keep to many egos happy.

@ Ski 76, kings been good at recruiting in recent seasons but got it all wrong this season, even the locals were mostly ineffective. Glover obviously had a go at someone as he hardly played and didn't see the court in last two games.

Cooks was clearly missed around the basket at both ends, he can’t make a jump shot but deadly from at the bucket. Bolden just didn’t produce that.

Reply #937069 | Report this post

EssenX  
Two months ago

The Kings were playing a crippled Breakers, had the referees giving them every call and some, and they still lost!

Some of the players are poor, but the coach is not up to this level.

Sad not to see Glover play. He stole game 5 from the Breakers last season with a broken rib. He epitomizes what the Breakers brought tonight. I can see him in a Breakers uniform under Maor.

Breakers will be sweating on Cheatham, but if he recovers I can see the Breakers beating the Hawks. The Breakers defensive intensity was something else.

Reply #937070 | Report this post

hoopie  
Two months ago

God, Maor is painful to watch on TV. I feel sorry for his players - that constant noise barrage must really get into their heads.

Reply #937072 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two months ago

Congrats to the Breakers, PJC was a beast, best player on the court by a significant margin.

Felt a bit like a mercy killing to be honest, glad to put this season to rest and looking forward to seeing what we put on the court next season.

Reply #937073 | Report this post

Patty"TheGOAT"Mills  
Two months ago

I think Bruce's time is up.

Reply #937076 | Report this post

Yup  
Two months ago

Why no Glover?

Reply #937077 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Two months ago

Was thinking the same essenx - glover would suit the breakers and mody to a tee

PJCs interview was disappointing garbage but otherwise what an outstanding night! Impressed even by his shot options and the way he turned to his three once they started trying to give him space to cover the drive.

Against the hawks they should have some fair officiating so will be a good battle.

Reply #937078 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Two months ago

Hunter was good I thought and would also suit the breakers. No doubt he'd be a target if he leaves the kings

Reply #937079 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Two months ago

For the conspiracy theory boys who always say the game is rigged and the league wants a particular team to win. If you really think the result is pre-determined you are a complete idiot for watching, yet alone commenting. Why would you have any interest at all in such a competition?

Reply #937081 | Report this post

EssenX  
Two months ago

Just because they can try to rig it, doesn't mean they get away with it. In fact, it can make the game even more interesting. The calls were definitely one-sided last night and not in the my name is Anon and the refs are biased against Perth sort of way. Home cooking is a thing in the NBL and typically Melbourne and Sydney come with extra sauce.

Reply #937084 | Report this post

Bored  
Two months ago

Hogg's body language in the final 4 minutes was putrid.

Reply #937085 | Report this post

retired  
Two months ago

Well I wonder what Glovers mother thinks about the Kings organisation now after Angus did not play the last 2 games because he spoke the truth about their so called gun import and the 2 players had push and shove at training.

The truth hurts and these high paid imports cannot take it.

There are not too many imports who come to play in the NBL can play defence.They are scorers mainly.

When he arrived there she said Kings were the best organisation around but when he was at the Hawks they were well and truly the most hated(Kings).

Coach will definitely be gone and he should have to explain why Glover did not play considering his heroics last year.

The owners should be regretting their decision now but on the NBL App it says the coach is preparing for NBL 2025.

There should be a number of players certainly GONE also.

Reply #937086 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two months ago

For me the whole Glover "leak" had the stink of an agent leaking something to force a player's court time or release to me, and I think it was no small reason in why he didn't play yet again - possibly it did happen like the Telegraph reported, but it seemed like the kind of thing that would be strategically leaked to turn a fan base against the coach. In the arena the fans were calling for Glover all game - personally he may or may not have helped, but even when playing he has been a shadow of his 2022-23 self offensively and settles for the long contested 3 way too much while attacking the basket far too infrequently.

I've been a big fan of Glover ever since he arrived and maybe he's in the right here, but I'm skeptical.

Reply #937087 | Report this post

LV  
Two months ago

Someone on NBL Overtime, maybe Copes, said Sydney had no leaders this year.

Very true.

Reply #937090 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two months ago

Yes really hard to judge the coach from outside, Glover certainly hasn't been the player of last season and yes there imports have been very average though Hogg was hurt most of the season. I was told that they just didn’t follow coaches instructions, now that never works as Kelly has found out. It’s a team sport even around the Cottons of the world. I can see kings losing a few players. It still proves no matter how many great offensive players you have you still need to play D, who is the defensive leader at the kings, so many poor defenders.

Reply #937091 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two months ago

Moar is right about Rubstavicious, he should be first round pick, plays D, can shoot and is tough, absolute disgusting decision in yesterday's game. He might not have the projection of some other next stars but he’s the most ready, gun.

Reply #937094 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two months ago

Dunkman what was the disgusting decision?

Reply #937095 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Two months ago

I was dubious before the game of how much blame Mahmoud should shoulder for their performances but his post match did him no favours... he seemed to have no idea why they lost the game and what they could have done different. Can't see him staying with the kings or in the league

Reply #937096 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Two months ago

One of the best indications of the difference in reffing was the travel call on mantas. That same step into the shot occurred twenty times at least in the game, especially by Hogg, and went uncalled.

I don't buy into it being rigged but there's no doubt there's a bias albeit probably subconscious

Reply #937097 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Two months ago

In 38 years of watching the NBL, I have never ever seen a team that simply did not want to be there and that was Sydney last night. Wow. Something clearly going on internally.

Reply #937098 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two months ago

Refs favour home teams generally because the fans are absolutely a factor. That's all the "bias" is typically IMO, I don't think refs consciously favour one team or another for the lion's share of calls, but some refs are more swayed by the home team fans than others.

Personally, even after last night, I'm not 100% certain that a portion of the players - especially the imports - are not the issue more so than the coach, based on their interactions with him. I sit close to the Kings bench and since the slide began multiple times a game I would say I observe behaviour from the players that disrespects/undermines the coach. Maybe it's deserved and he really has no idea, maybe it's not. I'm confident our ownership group knows which one it is though, and that's the way they will go. We'll know soon enough.

Reply #937099 | Report this post

Sykesb  
Two months ago

2 main factors in Kings season

1.Coach was terrible, couldn't make a a Def adjustment, poor rotations and his wins don't matter attitude he had in every press conference clearly led to losing the locker room

2. Losing 4 solid defenders in cooks, Walton, Simon and Suarez and replacing all of them with bad defenders (Adams, bolden, Valentine, hoggg) was too much to overcome

Reply #937100 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two months ago

He got a tech for a flop, it was rubbish, they call that on the real floppers there would not be many players left on the court and that gave him for fouls and and then got the unsportsmanlike for dropping his shoulder on a screen on Hunter which gave him the disqualification. Let me tell you the shoulder drop was nothing compared to some of the moving screens that got missed in the same game. He is one tough youngster and if I'm recruiting I’m looking at players from Latvia, Lithuania and some of these lesser paying leagues for my imports instead of flashy g league or average nba players.

I also thought it was funny that Rucker, who I’m fine with his commentary said he only ranked PJC at seven as he hasn’t proven himself in the nbl, lmao, PJC was mvp in the German league which has been ranked as high as number three in world leagues and are world champions. He has been a winner on all his euro stints. I’m still laughing.

Reply #937105 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two months ago

Thats why its a forum I guess.

Reply #937107 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Two months ago

I didn't realise mantas foul was an unsportsmanlike but in that case it was laughable.

Earlier Hunter went at him and shoved after the whistle and no call! Farcical

Reply #937115 | Report this post

Just a fan  
Last month

Abdelfattah has officially got the sack. Surely BG has the job.

Reply #937167 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

I haven't seen that, rumours or fact ?

Reply #937168 | Report this post

retired  
Last month

Don't bring Goorijan back.Huge mistake

What happened last time he was at the Kings and do not say it was the sponsors issue.

As you have seen over recent years.Wherever Goorj is it is a big spend to put the team together and they fold after 1 year.

Reply #937170 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last month

Big spend is no issue. Sydney is a financial powerhouse. No one is better placed to make a hoops capital investment. Bring back the Goorj!

Reply #937172 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last month

The spend under him is huge, I recall Goorj infamously had a $100K budget just for supplements.

Reply #937181 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last month

"What happened last time he was at the Kings and do not say it was the sponsors issue."

It wasn't a sponsor issue, it was an "Owner is also owner of an international scam organisation" issue. I also don't think Goorj bears any responsibility for the Dragons folding (and in hindsight the ownership group were pretty much bang on with their demands that led to the decision to fold).

Having said that, if we do make a change (and I know the rumours are strongly learning towards yes on social media today) I hope we don't sign Goorj, but more because I think he's probably a little past it at 70 years old and based on our national team as well as his time at the Hawks' basically delegating to his staff tactically, so it would make the assistants key. It would be just about the polar opposite of the approach we've made with coaches since the current ownership group has been onboard, and I'd prefer they land somewhere closer to the middle.

Reply #937182 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Kings are impatient, they like winning, for all his knockers, Smith been winning for a long time in all his endeavours, so if it was me I'd chase Jacob Chance but it could take time to establish and not certain kings give you time. Weaver would be good as well.

Reply #937186 | Report this post

retired  
Last month

If Goorijan gets the gig guess who will be his Assistant-Jackomas

Reply #937232 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last month

Goorjian would have been wise to retire before now, based on his name and past successes.

I confidently predict that any team which takes him on will not win the GF
- his thinking appears to be out of date
- he appears to struggle with making changes forced on his team mid-game
- he will struggle to find top quality imports who will buy into his coaching style
- the other teams will generally have better squads and he will be up against some very good coaches
- the expectations put on any Goorjian-coached players will be enormous

Reply #937233 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:58 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754