Luuuc
Last month

WNBL 24/25

Ball in BA's court as NBL owner looks to buy into WNBL

The ball is in Basketball Australia's court as NBL owner Larry Kestelman formally explores the possibility of purchasing the WNBL in a landmark play to unite the sport in Australia.
But despite the surging popularity of basketball in Australia, seven of eight WNBL sides operate at a loss.
AAP understands BA is open to a change in the way the WNBL is run.
"We're working on some new concepts with them that'll come to fruition in the coming weeks in months."
Discussions of the sale come as Geelong's basketball association, Geelong United Basketball, joins forces with a private consortium of investors to purchase the Melbourne Boomers' WNBL licence, subject to approval from BA.
Under the proposed sale, the franchise would relocate and rebrand as the Geelong United Boomers.
AAP understands the major sticking point is that from a broadcast standpoint, BA would prefer there to be two teams running out of Melbourne, rather than only the Southside Flyers.
But with no other buyers interested in the Boomers' licence, the only other options appear to be BA running the team themselves, or the franchise collapsing.

Topic #51866 | Report this topic

Footloose  
Last month

just let LK take ownership of the entire league already!! Plus, what difference does it make whether the Boomers are located at Parkville or Geelong?

Reply #938038 | Report this post

KET  
Last month

Interesting - I'd like to see NBL takeover WNBL and see more alignment - see if they can find efficiencies like resourcing, digital infrastructure, see if they can use it to get sponsors across both leagues plus NBL1 and juniors to broaden the value proposition and demographic reach. Maybe that extends into the broadcast rights arena eventually too.

And then ofcourse there’s alignment with things like a potential gather round.

Reply #938050 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last month

There's so much to be done behind the scenes to bring this to fruition in time for next season, but I'm getting mostly positive vibes from the snippets I'm hearing so keep your fingers crossed everyone.

Since every day matters, everyone should also get behind the Lynx to sweep the GF series 2-0, thus allowing 100% focus to be on next season with minimal delay ;)

Reply #938052 | Report this post

BigD  
Last month

The location of the Boomers is a massive deal when it comes to broadcast deals, that would be a major sticking point.

If you only have the one team in Melbourne it'll be impossible to get Kayo/ESPN to have a broadcast deal, which is what they’re after (same as NBL). If Kestelman is in talks to buy the league, he wouldn’t allow only one Melbourne franchise if it can be avoided.

On next season - there’s rumours flying around that A LOT of players are moving to Europe to chase the $$. The league may be missing almost all of their big names next year.

Reply #938056 | Report this post

JD14  
Last month

BigD - where are these rumuors coming from? and what players?

On next season - there's rumours flying around that A LOT of players are moving to Europe to chase the $$. The league may be missing almost all of their big names next year.

Reply #938059 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last month

LK will want to align all teams or atleast most of them in a few years if he takes it over.

Bendigo ain't gonna survive, Tassie license surely.
Canberra will likely have a future men’s team, so they should be fine.
The rest already are aligned apart from

-Cairns/townsville
-Brisbane/no brisbane, easy fix
-Nz/no nz
-illawarra/no Illawarra

I think the aim might be 10 teams for a while before nz and Illawarra come in.

Reply #938066 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last month

Yeah, I'm not sure if they're included in the immediate expansion plans but it would be great to get NZ back in the league.

Reply #938069 | Report this post

QuokkaWoylie  
Last month

Brisbane already have a team coming don't though? Although latest I heard is that was delayed as well.

One of the local podcasts was hyping up the prospects of a women's NZ team play in the comp. Hopefully that would mean the league is run more professionally though. Some long flights, especially to and from Perth!

Reply #938071 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last month

Expansion plans were for Brisbane and Newcastle but that was years ago.

Reply #938072 | Report this post

Camel 94  
Last month

Lynx arent aligned with the Wildcats . The license was given back to BWA by Bendat due to their viability a few years ago. Hutchy should have bought that license back when he bought the Wildcats but bought the Bendigo Spirit instead because of his strong country Victoria roots and didnt want to see them go under.Could have potentially had a NBL Game 3 semi and a WNBL Game 2 GF at RAC Arena on the same if they had both.

Reply #938088 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last month

Aligned by location.

Reply #938089 | Report this post

LC  
Last month

Hearing the Geelong venture is not going to happen.

Also, Geelong does not align with a possible NBL takeover model so cannot see it working unless LK starts a Geelong NBL franchise.

I too am hearing a plethora of WNBL stars are looking to head to Europe post Olympics.

Reply #938101 | Report this post

Dave Marshall  
Last month

Newcastle are still keen, but it's contingent on a replacement for Broadmeadow Stadium being built, and that's currently a bureaucratic mess.

Reply #938105 | Report this post

BigD  
Last month

Geelong venture is indeed not happening.

Now up to 5 teams might be handing back their licence in boycott of BA running the league.
This is becoming such a mess.

Reply #938119 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last month

Forcing the hand of BA who are incompetent.

Reply #938125 | Report this post

LC  
Last month

It really is getting messy for BA...

Reply #938137 | Report this post

QuokkaWoylie  
Last month

Any decent reporting on this anywhere?

Reply #938141 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last month

Lynx arent aligned with the Wildcats . The license was given back to BWA by Bendat due to their viability a few years ago. Hutchy should have bought that license back when he bought the Wildcats but bought the Bendigo Spirit instead because of his strong country Victoria roots and didnt want to see them go under.Could have potentially had a NBL Game 3 semi and a WNBL Game 2 GF at RAC Arena on the same if they had both.

It's actually a good thing they faded SEG ownership.

Reply #938247 | Report this post

cabbage  
Last month

So... have Southside got a game 3 push in them? I kinda suspect not, but hope so, coz more basketball.

Reply #938294 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last month

All WNBL clubs not interested in BA revamp of league.

Reply #939313 | Report this post

BigD  
Last month

It's really saying something for all eight clubs to boycott BA having anything to do with the league.

Reply #939349 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Earlier this month

"As it stands right now, I'm told that the Melbourne Boomers are out (of the WNBL competition) for next year"
- Shane Heal

--

WNBL also posted today that the free agency period officially starts on 10/5/24

Reply #939923 | Report this post

Footloose  
Earlier this month

out completely Luuuc? Or now Geelong?

Reply #939925 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last week

I don't see anything about this on the WNBL or BA websites that I can link to (shock), but the Pick & Roll tweeted this update today:

Reply #940670 | Report this post

Jayhoops  
Last week

I also saw that post from TP&R and can't find the statement anywhere else. Perhaps it was distributed to media outlets, and they've published before the WNBL/BA got their shit together? (shock)

LK has a lot of bargaining power with WNBL clubs giving BA an ultimatum. This is pure conjecture, but I imagine he's offered effectively zero capital for controlling interest in the league. Neither factor of which would sit well with BA given they're clinging to relevancy.

I'll be interested to learn what sort of capital they can raise for a product that will lose money for 5-10 years at a minimum. At least a LK-owned WNBL could consolidate resources with NBL franchises and/or the league office.

Reply #940671 | Report this post

Footloose  
Last week

Sounds like a step in the right direction

Reply #940672 | Report this post

DMc  
Last week

Seems like they still want to keep majority ownership and decision making control, but want others to subsidise it for them?!

Probably unlikely to happen, but it'd be great if they were able to attract investors who are already involved in women's bball, such as WNBA ownership groups or current /former players (similar to how NBA players have bought stakes in NBL teams). Imagine if WNBA power couple Diana Taurasi and Penny Taylor (or one/some of the cashed up young stars such as Caitlin Clark or Angel Reese!) bought a minority stake!

Reply #940686 | Report this post

+  
Last week

older players may have some $ but newer ones still establishing themselves and getting set up. Would be multiple leagues looking for investors.

Reply #940687 | Report this post

TrevorTorrance  
Last week

how much are they trying to raise? So LK is keen to absorb the WNBL but pay nothing and run under the NBL banner? What assurances has he given?

Reply #940688 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last week

If BA let go of the wnbl then they would have to lay off quite a few people. Those at the top would also see big hits to salaries.
These people still think the nbl being sold to lk was a mistake.

Reply #940689 | Report this post

BigD  
Last week

Would they though?
Have you seen how low the number of people they actually employ for the WNBL?

Reply #940690 | Report this post

Dr Dre  
Last week

WNBL is dead, - More local players to head off overseas next season.

Time to consider NBL1 women becoming the premier competition by gaining EOI's from 2-3 clubs in each state to form a Super League and build from there.

Reply #940691 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last week

Or kestleman creates nbl (women/men) and let BA fail with wnbl.

Reply #940693 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last week

Yeah, exactly. What's to stop LK starting his own women's league?

Reply #940697 | Report this post

Dr Dre  
Last week

Limited to no Financial benefit for LK Group to join the men/women competitions. WNBL needs to be a Non-profit set up, even playing field in terms of player budgets and share expense as much as possible. Any profit from commercial sponsorship after expenses invested back into the league. Must be run at a worst case breakeven every year.

Reply #940698 | Report this post

QuokkaWoylie  
Last week

The WNBL as a competition is the longest running professional league for women (regardless of what that looked like at the start) in Australia, you would hope they'd be able park their egos enough to work out how to keep it going.

Reply #940703 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last week

Quokka, you cracked me up on that last one. Love your optimism.

Reply #940706 | Report this post

QuokkaWoylie  
Last week

That's what I think needs to happen not necessarily what I think will happen. Honestly, for how big a grass roots sport basketball has become it surprises me how insular it is at every level (club, nbl1, BA etc). No idea how you'd even attempt to fix that.

Reply #940762 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:13 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754