Bballfan
Last month

U16 Nationals

VIC teams published for 16 Nationals. Are they still favourites? IMO not the girls. That'll be one of the QLD teams unless Ryan takes hold like she can.

Topic #51878 | Report this topic

Weedy Slug  
Last month

Great selections for vic metro women lol, what a joke.

Reply #938380 | Report this post

DeepWombat  
Last month

Vic Metro Boys look very strong. 3 returning from last year's team. Great size, ability to finish, and both interior and perimeter defense. Probably not as good an outside shooting team as last year, but with so many scoring options on the floor I don't think it will matter too much.

Reply #938387 | Report this post

Sunset10  
Last month

IMO definitely not the best teams selected for either the girls or boys.

QLD will dominate the girls

QLD and NSW will dominate the boys

Reply #938388 | Report this post

Crabby Crabot  
Last month

Im back for another critical look at Vic metro women's team. Woeful. Disgusting selection process.
M Ryan has made Australian team she won’t be playing
V Lubjcic tore ACL at combine won’t return for 12 months
E Brown didn’t attend full tryouts as injured during tryouts
E Anderson didn’t attend full tryouts as injured during tryouts

Future state players, don’t waste your efforts on high development training, academies, schools basketball - here are a few tips:

1. Get off the bench and get involved in an on court brawl and bring the game into disrepute because you will be protected by the powers that be.

2. Don’t tryout! Why waste your time actually taking the court to try out when you can be injured and sail through to combine and state team list.

3. Have relatives that help you through.

4. Have training sessions with the head of the women’s metro state program

5. Be coached either historically or currently in VJBL by the current state coach

6. Have parents that follow Tim Notke’s school of thought because when he said "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard" he was definitely referring to parents working hard on their ass-kissing abilities.

It’s lucky the other states are so terrible, even with this lucky dip of a team, vic metro women may still get a medal but please don’t call it rose gold.

Reply #938390 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

@ CC, it always been that way. It's rubbish.

Reply #938393 | Report this post

Frogface19  
Last month

Certainly a few surprises in the Vic Metro girls team thats for sure!!

Any thoughts on the Vic country teams?

Reply #938396 | Report this post

Crabby Crabot  
Last month

2 other former coaches and I personally watched a number of the A/A reserve grade games of the Eltham Dandenong Tournament and prior to that some practise and grading games. We believe, they have chosen incorrectly based on what we observed, injuries and tribunal aside.

Our rough team outline:
Fakalata
Brown
Kata
Scarafilo
Shanahan
Ryan
Ljubicic
Craven
Trout
Ryan
Barbakas
Tavete
Anderson
Richardson
Jones as the only bottom age

Reply #938398 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last month

Who from the emergencies got promotion?

Reply #938402 | Report this post

Frogface19  
Last month

@ CC your team looks much stronger on paper.

Reply #938404 | Report this post

DeepWombat  
Last month

The Country boys look to have gone for talent over size. They look to top out at 6'2. There will be at least 2 6'9 kids at the nationals, which may prove challenging. Also seemed a little inconsistent in effort and intensity at the combine, but that could very well be injuries the boys were playing through. Certainly a talented bunch who should be able to put plenty of points on the board at the nationals. May struggle with the other team doing the same however.

Reply #938407 | Report this post

XXXX  
Last month

Unfortunately parachuting in a HP Manager who has no knowledge of the local scene has allowed the lunatics to take over the asylum. Having said that, its not entirely her fault, its endemic in the HP that selections at all levels neglects performance in games of basketball. You can see it from FDP, to SDP and NPP selections through to State teams.

On a side note re the girl involved in the brawl. I expect there is a fair bit to that story that hasn't been let out, it will and should be left to the Tribunal to decide the outcome.

Reply #938408 | Report this post

Crabby Crabot  
Last month

@weedy - Unsure who will end up in actual team, but would have to assume Anderson will get call up if injury subsides in time, maybe TD Puoch, Barbakas.
They originally were going to take 4 emergencies, then they increased to 7 then at naming the team went to 8.

Reply #938409 | Report this post

Frogface19  
Last month

@CC What Aus team has M Ryan made? Im aware shes in the U17WC squad, but that team hasn't been announce to the best of my knowledge, or has she been told she cant play the U16 Nationals because she is preparing for the WC?

Reply #938410 | Report this post

Crabby Crabot  
Last month

@Frogface correct told she can't play but believe she will be named in the team - stay tuned.

Reply #938411 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last month

An 09 making the u17WC team, hopefully not.... 07/08 is extremely stacked.

Reply #938412 | Report this post

Crabby Crabot  
Last month

She is quite versatile but I agree with you Weedyslug.
That U16 will struggle without her if that's the way it goes.

Reply #938413 | Report this post

Frogface19  
Last month

Wonderful effort if a double bottom age makes the WC side! as @weedy said the 07/08 age group is strong... watch this space I guess!

Reply #938414 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last month

Thought similar... prior to injuries.

Fakalata PG
Jones PG
Browne PG
Ljubicic SG
Scarafilo SG
Tavete G/F
Puoch(Tie) SF
Anderson CF
Ryan CF
Barbakas PF/C
Trout PF/C
Richardson C

Reply #938415 | Report this post

Jayhoops  
Last month

I'm told Ryan was a standout at the camp in January despite being an injury replacement. I tend to believe CC that BVic have been given the heads up of her impending selection.

Is anyone actually surprised that the same coach botched selections for the third year in a row, or that another HP manager with inadequate coaching experience allowed it to happen?

Even without Ryan they will still medal and mask the incompetence. Queensland were poor last year and SA's talent is spread between Metro and Country.

Reply #938419 | Report this post

Crabby Crabot  
Last month

Jayhoops the head coach cried her way back in and all but begged for the role back as she promised HP manager a gold.

Unfortunately you mirror my thoughts the other states just aren't up to it and VM will medal.

Reply #938420 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last month

Those playing in her position are Taylor and Russell, both at the COE.
I can't see BA making room for an 09.
Leap frogging others like Mead, Bijkerk, Gardiner, Petrie, Notoa etc seems unlikely.
Should be a lock for oceanias at the end of the year.

Reply #938424 | Report this post

Manders  
Last month

Selection processes in Vic are broken. In part, it doesn't matter because you could probably fill a couple of teams of highly competitive teams and the results come through. What matters is that it impacts on kids. Some kids will realise it’s all hubris and so move on. But it does impact on kids.

Reply #938427 | Report this post

BigD  
Last month

This is what happens when a high performance head coach who has never coached before is hired and jokes about it on social media.
The only reason two of the state head coaches have returned for another year is because no one else applied for the role, which is saying a lot.

Reply #938428 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last month

If you wanted to push more kids towards footy...

Reply #938429 | Report this post

XXXX  
Last month

It would be a disgrace if they pick Ryan for the Gems. I'm a big fan and think she probably has the most potential out of the whole 09 crop, but she's not currently even the best player in that age group and she's certainly not at the level of the better 07 wings in any of the major States. Her time will come, robbing a more deserved kid of that achievement would be really disappointing.

Agree with most of Weedy's picks, Scarafilo, Barbakas and Anderson should have been shoe ins. It shouldn't matter that Anderson couldn't try out, her performances last year were sufficient. I can think of a couple of others I would consider very unlucky but those 3 stand out as obvious picks.

Reply #938430 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last month

The gems 06/07 U18 asia
The sapphires 07/08 U17 wc
First phase sapphires 09/10 U15 oceania < the only team she should make this year.

Reply #938433 | Report this post

Frogface19  
Last month

XXXX.. agree her upside looks great, but she would need to have improve 1000% from Nationals in WA last year to be in the 17WC now. And maybe she has which is great.. shes a lock for U15 AUS IMO
There was 3 better bottom age players ahead of her in WA ( 2 from QLD,1 x SAC), let alone go up 2 age groups for the WC in 9 months!! I appreciate different types of players.

Reply #938434 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last month

Assuming

Hocking
Olechnowicz
Smith

Reply #938435 | Report this post

Frogface19  
Last month

IMO ...Yes from what i saw, but know players develop at different stages. Your thoughts?

Reply #938436 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last month

U15 I had...

2 PG tbd, (wait for U16s, about 6-7 in contention)
Hocking
Olechnowicz
Ljubicic, (wont happen this year)
Smith
2 of Bonham, Daly, Scarafilo, Puoch, few others
Ryan
Barbakas
Richardson
Johnson

Reply #938437 | Report this post

Frogface19  
Last month

Hard to argue with that list IMO, it'll be interesting how the bottom ages go this year in Bendigo, mainly Bonham, Daly, Jones who seem to be best of the bottom age talent? Have I missed any?

Reply #938439 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last month

10 is not as deep as 09. 11 is deep.

Toeleiu was very good but now looks to be playing for nz.

Some names...

Jones
Luki
Adkins
Davey
Bristow
Bonham
Daly
Jarvis
Springett
Gribben
Lukell
Clague

Reply #938441 | Report this post

XXXX  
Last month

Hocking, Olechnowicz and Smith are definitely the standouts, with Ryan. All three were better players than her last year, though the difference wasn't huge and her skill set seems more translatable to a higher level. I've seen her play this year and the impression I get is that she's kept improving, her shot in particular looks better and she looks stronger, but I doubt she could compete effectively with any of the better 07 wings.

Reply #938443 | Report this post

Hooping  
Last month

Who is the Gems coach?

It is correct if an 09 is picked for the Gems, then they miss the Australian u16 National Championships?

Reply #938445 | Report this post

Frogface19  
Last month

I struggle to believe they have already picked the side..

Reply #938446 | Report this post

Jayhoops  
Last month

You're misunderstanding CC's assertion. I also don't believe they've picked the side, but they would obviously have an idea going into the camp of who their 12 are and Ryan is one of those. If true, this would make her unavailable for U16 nationals.

Obviously many on here disagree with the merits of such a decision, but that doesn't mean it won't happen.

The Sapphires coach is Tom Garlepp, and Crocs coach is Nathan Cooper-Brown.

Reply #938453 | Report this post

Ally Oop  
Last month

VIC Metro U16 girls looking even weaker now that the main PG has been banned for 20 weeks after the tribunal... If she, Ryan, Anderson and others are out, an SA team might pip VIC Metro for a bronze medal IMO. Both SAM and SAC have a strong starting 5 and both have talent that is amongst the best 09/10s in Australia. QLD most likely for gold and silver, but watch this space for bronze now the VIC team is depleted.

Reply #938675 | Report this post

Frogface19  
Last month

Throw in Ljubicic with a knee reconstruction it really puts Vic Metro chances of medalling back to the pack.
QLD look the early runner for gold/silver now and they will have the best few players in the tournament and decent depth players.
I'm still not convinced SAM/SAC have enough talent to medal @Allyoop, both may have a few decent players, but I believe they will drop off from their 4-10th player.
Assuming metro will have Hardin who played very well last year and will be there best player? Annielise Elliott come of an injury last year and didn’t get much court time, I’m sure she’ll be better this year.

who else will stand up ? Maybe Isabelle Daly but shes a bottom age and untried at this level?

SAM don’t have the depth of previous years but happy to be proven wrong

SAC - had 6 bottom ages last year with only Stockley and Hocking that looked decent but will need much more support to medal IMO

It’ll be a great tournament again and I look forward to seeing all the athletes do there thing.

Reply #938685 | Report this post

Team nWo  
Last month

Why was she banned for 20 weeks?

Reply #938686 | Report this post

Frogface19  
Last month

Local game of basketball and there was a brawl mainly with the parents but the kids were involved.

It was recorded and doing the rounds!

Reply #938687 | Report this post

Team nWo  
Last month

Jesus.....just saw it. That's crazy. Was it a club game (domestic) or a rep game? Insane either way.

Reply #938688 | Report this post

Billo  
Last month

Quick to write off Vic Metro girls??
Will maybe be missing 2 or 3 of the named team, but still stacked. A lot of talk on here about coach and system. She is a good caoch.
Maybe less talk if the girls still go on and win gold.

Reply #938689 | Report this post

Jayhoops  
Last month

Winning gold with a "stacked" group (in your words) would make people forget about two years of poor selections and underperforming?

Reply #938691 | Report this post

Billo  
Last month

@Jayhoops

You are right about underperforming the past few years, can't hide from that.
2021 & 2022 definitely disappointing result, 2023 we performed much better but clearly the second best team. SA too good.

2024 obviously won't be at full strength but the depth of the squad is good and the aim is still gold. But cannot afford any more injuries! But there are certainly 3-4 other teams who are very strong and impressive as well.

Reply #938693 | Report this post

The Bear  
Last month

I agree that injuries and potential national team selection will play a big part in how well the metro girls will go in the tournament, though i'm really surprised that theres no mention of the country girls. The country team has some strong talent in there and isnt out of the mix with upsetting the standard expectation of Vic metro being the number one team. Watch this space......

Reply #938694 | Report this post

Jayhoops  
Last month

Based on talent they were on par but Vic managed to lose by 16 and 15 in their two games vs SA.

SA were organised and played to the strength of their best player, and Vic did nothing to disrupt that in the grand final. The only bright spot was Rivet with four threes, who wasn't even picked in the initial 10!

I agree Vic's depth is fantastic this year, so there's no excuse for the coach if they aren't in the grand final and taking it to Queensland.

Reply #938695 | Report this post

XXXX  
Last month

Vic Metro has a lot of depth in that age group, but the squad they have chosen is not representative of this. It would be good for Vic basketball if this team doesn't medal as it might force some change.

Reply #938698 | Report this post

Billo  
Last month

@XXXX

I agree with you about a comment on the Metro squad. I think overall there is great depth but a couple of the names I was not expecting to be there, or a couple not included. So yes, representation is interesting.

I wont voice my thoughts on the couple of names included in the squad as this would be quite unfair and not necessary. So I dont want to go there.
But interested to know people's thoughts on a few of the girls who were possibly unlucky not to make the squad? Both 2009 and 2010.

Reply #938700 | Report this post

Bluey  
Last month

good question Billo. Who was unlucky to miss in both the girls and the boys? There's always a few that go on to make the selectors look silly. Josh Giddey & Steph Reid both spring to mind.

Reply #938702 | Report this post

XXXX  
Last month

The worst omissions are all emergencies, Anderson, the taller Puoch twin, Scarafilo and Barbakas. Scarafilo is averaging over 30ppg.

Reply #938708 | Report this post

Frogface19  
Last month

XXXX...BINGO...well said, i can handle Anderson as she has a reported stress fractures in her back with a 12-16 week recovery window.

Naming Ljubicic is farcical as she's had a total knee reconstruction and is 12 months off playing!

Reply #938710 | Report this post

Billo  
Last month

That is correct news about Anderson. Very sad for her. Good girl, good player

Reply #938711 | Report this post

Hmmm  
Last month

Vic Country Girls Coach is outstanding communicator and leader IMO who will (like her predecessor) will have team exceed expectations with TEAM success.

Reply #938714 | Report this post

Jayhoops  
Last month

I don't agree that expectations were exceeded over the last two years, but I think this is more of an issue with the Country HP system. Carly and Mat are undoubtedly fantastic people.

Reply #938722 | Report this post

The Bear  
Last month

Agreed @Hmmm, the country girls will thrive under her coaching style.
It appears this forum is largely focused on Metro, so i'll try my hand at some insight into the country girls squad.

Eliza Ashby is fantastic mid. Very hard to guard and great iq.
Georgia Baensch is a jet PG, regular dead heat with metro PG Fakalata
Neave Terpstra is a 3 point SG
Amily Smith another strong guard
Elise Napier is their big, strong player with a bright future

This is likely their strongest 5 atm, though the rest of the squad are strong players and will only get stronger as a team over the next few months. It'll be interesting to see how they fair against the metro girls in their scrimmages leading up to the nationals.
Don't write them off just yet

Reply #938723 | Report this post

Ally Oop  
Last month

Assuming all the above information is true, and Ljubicic, Fakalata and Ryan are unable to play at 16 Nationals, and Anderson is injured, which emergencies do you think will replace the three and who will VIC Metro have as a starting 4/5 then? (As a guess).

SAM and SAC teams not named yet, but guesses for their team's starting 4/5 would be:

SAC
Hocking
Stockley
Stella Reed
Ava Woosnam
Mia Richards

SAM
Elliott
Hardin
Daly
Gribbin
5th? Either another strong guard or 6"5 Alex Deng

Any guesses for the starting 4/5 for the QLD teams?

Reply #938726 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last month

Probably the same as last u16s.

Catip or Luki?
Thorburn
Smith
Kolb
Mapp? Or they might go smaller

Sherrington
Olechnowicz
Foai or Moke
Ilic or Gurney
Johnson or Ilic

Reply #938727 | Report this post

Ally Oop  
Last month

@weedy what about the starting 5 for vic metro?

Reply #938730 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last month

That would depend on who comes in.

Reply #938731 | Report this post

Frogface19  
Last month

@weedy, any idea NSW and WA lists looking like in this age group ?

Reply #938733 | Report this post

Ally Oop  
Last month

@weedy who do you think should come in from the VM emergencies?

Reply #938734 | Report this post

Frogface19  
Last month

@weedy, any idea NSW and WA lists looking like in this age group ?

Reply #938735 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last month

WA M
https://basketballwa.asn.au/wp-content/uploads/2024/02/Metro-2024-SPP-16-ANNOUNCEMENT-.pdf

WA C
https://basketballwa.asn.au/wp-content/uploads/2024/02/Country-2024-SPP-16-ANNOUNCEMENT-3.pdf

NSW M
https://www.bnsw.com.au/news/2024-u16-metro-state-team-squads/

NSW C
https://www.bnsw.com.au/news/2024-u16-country-state-team-squads/

Reply #938736 | Report this post

Frogface19  
Last month

Sorry not sure what I did there !

Reply #938737 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last month

Allyoop-
Scarafilo
Barabakas
TiePuoch

Reply #938738 | Report this post

Ally Oop  
Last month

Weedy - agreed

Reply #938751 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last month

Selector gonna look real silly when the tournament comes around.

Reply #938752 | Report this post

Manders  
Last month

Another BV mess.

Reply #938753 | Report this post

Mr. Cesp  
Last month

@Billo

Agree with XXXX, Anderson, Puoch, Scarafilo and Barbakas were unlucky. However, I would have also liked to have seen Leuluai included at least as an emergency, as a bottom ager. Saw Jones v Leuluai in a high school game last year and it was great viewing.

Reply #938760 | Report this post

Ally Oop  
Last month

So, in theory, if Barabakus, Puoch and Scarafilo replace Fakalata, Ryan and Lublijic, who is deserving of the starting 5? Jones as main PG?

Reply #938772 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last month

If she makes the u17 WC as a double bottom ager... think that would be a very poor decision by the selectors.
Easily one of the best 09s but I've seen her go up against 06/07s and she struggled.

Fakalata, ljubicic, ryan, anderson. funnily enough I’d go with those who were not selected in the s5.

PG Jones
SG Scarafilo
SF Puoch
PF/C Barbakas
PF/C Richardson

Reply #938778 | Report this post

Sunset10  
Last month

I think it'd be

PG - Brown
SG - Scarafilo
SF - Tavete
PF/C - Richardson
PF/C - Trout

Reply #938787 | Report this post

Juice  
Last month

Let me see if I got this right, all the bad mouthing of the coach and HP manager and the 6 month process of seeing the kids competing against other states at ECC, SCC and each other at the combine will have been because the girls that supposedly missed out due to a gross error in judgement are in fact Emergencies???
I thought all this conjecture was about players who didn't even make the squad at all. So did they get the 15 top kids right or not? Who missed out all together that isn't there?

And an argument for another day is there is no such thing as high performance at 12,13 & 14 years old, they are no where near close to being even 50% of finished product.

Reply #938854 | Report this post

Manders  
Last month

Just looked at the vision of the brawl, looked like most of the kids were just trying to stop the parents. Horrendous behaviour and very sad for the kids quite frankly. Hopefully the adults were given very substantial bans - anyone know the number of years they got (and I hope it was years)?

Reply #938856 | Report this post

Team nWo  
Last month

Except for the one stomping on someones head

Reply #938860 | Report this post

Billo  
Last month

Manders
My view only, but I think some of the parents should have been punished harder than others. All behaviour was bad, but some was down right ridiculous. Word is that some parents may have been handed 1 year ban, but not 100% sure on that. Maybe others can confirm? I think that 1 or 2 of them are very lucky if that is all they did actually receive.
Not sure exactly how many of the girls were suspended in the end, but 1 should definitely have a higher figure than the others. Little bit harsh if some of the players on the fringe of the scrum receive similar penalties.
Having said all that, I wasn't there myself so don't have all of the facts.

Back to the squad. Definitley been a few slight distractions the past few weeks but whatever the final team is it will still be quite strong. As previously discussed in this thread we know that there will probably be 2 or 3 changes. mid July will be the proof time I guess if the coaches and selectors got it right or wrong. Sounds like a couple of people here may have written them off already.

Reply #938862 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last month

They are probably favourites still with sa.

Reply #938865 | Report this post

Juice  
Last month

I think sometimes when a kid is talented, but doesn't make a team, people automatically blame the selectors and nepotism instead of thinking maybe that kid can't run a play or maybe their basketball IQ is not where it needs to be. There are plenty of talented young juniors out there who just don't know the game and couldn't replicate what's drawn on the coaching board on the floor.

There are people on here all the time talking about this kid is good and that kid is good, but they never mentioned their IQ never mention whether they're a student of the game. It's all just they are 6'9 or 7 foot , they are good shooters etc. as if that's all it takes to be good at basketball. And unfortunately, the only way to know whether a kid has a high basketball IQ or not is to coach them. And to be honest, it does not take a highball IQ to be good on a Friday night

Reply #938881 | Report this post

benchballer  
Last month

And then it looks like when some have a higher Basketball IQ and desire than the coach that does not go down well at all! Especially in the states where the coaches are perhaps not as well trained as the powerhouse states.

Reply #938883 | Report this post

Jayhoops  
Last month

Juice everything you've said is correct, but also missing the point. This is the third year of controversial selections after two years of underwhelming results.

The issue doesn't exist in the boys program. Even if they get selections "wrong" with the benefit of hindsight, they've managed to win as they should be.

This suggests a fundamental problem in the girls program with the coaches, selectors, the process, or all of the above. I can't speak to potential nepotism or anything like that.

Weedy you don't have Queensland South or North as your favorite?

Reply #938885 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last month

QLD teams not the favourite going in imo but certainly can win it.
Each has a standout player, the rest can be up and down.
If you can slow down Olechnowicz and Smith, likely you will get the win.
Both vic and sa have more options.

2 of the emergency vic metro players are superior and have been superior throughout juniors imo. Vic has a problem where they identify players that might be better in the future... that may prove true but they are not the best available right now.

Reply #938889 | Report this post

Ally Oop  
Last month

Agree that IQ is critical and only the coach really knows if a kid has a great feel for the game, good instincts, reacts well to pressure etc. Also, some kids may have peaked by 14, some may still have heaps of upside and peak in their 20's. No way to know.

Weedy, do you have QLD teams in your big contenders list? And one SA team in particular or both?

To be fair it’s probably a 5 horse race for the top 3 spots between SAM SAC VM and the 2 QLD teams. There is also the element of luck of the draw that needs to be considered in tournaments. A bad game at the wrong point can cost you a lot and some teams might get away with a bad game if it’s against a weaker team and learn from it. Some teams will get the advantage of an easier pool.

Reply #938890 | Report this post

DeepWombat  
Last month

I watched the SAM girls play VM in Perth last year. SAM looked far stronger and were never not in control of the game. It didn't seem like 2-3 different selections for VM would have made much difference.

On the topic of picking players to win now, versus those that will be better later, I think some balance is required. I would say that producing future Opals and Boomers is more important than winning nationals. I’d imagine that BA and the state HP coaches influence some picks to get players ready to compete for national team selection, even if they are picked over players that can better help their states win nationals now.

Reply #938892 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last month

Potentials with length or size, they do get preference(usually because we produce so few) but it hasn't really worked out on the women’s side. Those given a free pass at 16s or 18s and some who have even gone onto t Coe scholarships without proving themselves have not produced for aus jnr teams and I can’t think of any who have made the opals.

Reply #938893 | Report this post

Frogface19  
Last month

I wouldn't be getting too excited about SAC being top 5 from what I saw last year. I appreciate they got heaps of illness and injuries but they didn’t have the depth. Considering they had 6 bottom ages that tells me they were keeping one eye on this year with there selections anyway. They had one absolute gun , one very good player and the rest were average at best. So unless they find 2-3 better players this year I can’t see them at the pointy end of the tournament.

SAM - not convinced either, as I mentioned earlier, they are relying on Eliiott and Hardin. Good players but like SAC the drop off after that. Daly will help but untried at this level and it’s never easy for bottom ages.

As much as Vic Metro appears in turmoil, they will be way too strong for both SA teams IMO!

QLD
VICM
QLD
NSW M
VIC C
WA M
NSWC
SAC
SAM
TAS
WAC
ACT
NT

Reply #938907 | Report this post

SabreTooth  
Last month

I have to agree about SAM and SAC the depth is just not there and cant see them medalling

Hocking, Hardin, Elliot and Daly the standouts but there are queries at the highest level on each of them. Hocking is a great player and really aggressive and physical but really concerned with her shot as shes not tall enough to only rely on her inside work. Hardin surprised me at the AJCs last year and was a great contributor but she cant be more than 5'5" so will that catch up with her? Elliot was pretty quiet at AJCs last year and I really thought shed have gotten more time and had more of an impact, hopefully it was just because she was coming back from an injury. Her and Daly I think have the best combo of length, athleticism and skill

Reply #938913 | Report this post

Frogface19  
Last month

@sabre tooth, agree with all your points from what ive seen and its hard when you only see minimal games to judge these talented athletes.

Hocking,from what im told is a really hard worker and working O/T with HP to improve her shot. I hope this comes better for her so she improves her overall game, as i agree she's too small to play inside. Last listed 175cm, so hardly a dwarf !
Its a SAC thing by the sounds as Sienna Lehmann, Krystal Thompson shot was never elite.
Daly shot ( last time i saw ) was elite and i really hope this continues over her journey. Has she changed district teams? did i see shes at Eastern Mavericks now?

Elliott just needs a decent run with injuries and im sure shell be able to perform at great level at Nationals. Hardin is small, but she cleaned up nearly every PG in Nationals in WA

Reply #938928 | Report this post

SabreTooth  
Last month

I hope working with HP helps but I would think a trainer would be the better option there. I doubt very much is she's 175 or if she is that's with shoes. Agree re Lehmann and Thompson elite slashers, passers and defenders but average at best shooters

Daly is at Mavericks and in the same team as Hocking

Hope Elliot has a good tournament and Hardin keeps proving me wrong

Reply #938932 | Report this post

Frogface19  
Last month

Thank you @ Sabre Tooth. I hope all kids reach their dreams and goals.
Time will tell I guess.

Reply #938934 | Report this post

Bluey  
Last month

time will tell, and whether they've made the state team or not in U16's will likely have very little baring on their future career.

Am I right that there's a boy in the U17 Aus team who did not make the VM U16 team last year and is now at the COE? that's quite a turnaround in 6 months!

Great to know that you can still be 'found' without being part of the traditional pathway.

Reply #938936 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last month

SA M

B
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=778104984417375&set=pcb.778105064417367

G
https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=778104517750755&set=pcb.778104641084076

Reply #939324 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last month

My bad, the rest on the list.

B
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=778105011084039&set=pcb.778105064417367

G
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=778104567750750&set=pcb.778104641084076

Reply #939330 | Report this post

Frogface19  
Last month

That's not their final team @weedy! It’s a squad

Reply #939334 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last month

Yep.

Nsw also with a reduced list.

https://www.bnsw.com.au/news/2024-u16-country-metro-state-team-squads/

Reply #939338 | Report this post

Blues67  
Earlier this month

SA Metro just released their final teams on social media.

The girls team looks far and away the weakest team they have ever sent away to a nationals. Predicting 5th to 8th, no size and will have to play their starters big minutes in the pool games.

Reply #939795 | Report this post

Jayhoops  
Earlier this month

I agree. Same goes for the boys too:

https://basketballsa.com.au/2024-u16-state-performance-squad-announcement/

Did Basketball SA deliberately try to sneak in this announcement? There's nothing on their social media about it.

Reply #939798 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Earlier this month

U16 BOYS

TOURNAMENT PLAYERS
Joshua Dartnall
Jack Isaac
Arlee Jamieson
Josh Louis
Tex Launer
Awak Machar Jr
Cohen Mortimer
Giancarlo Nalupta
Zemes Pilot
Samuel Uzcategui Monetenegro

DEVELOPMENT PLAYERS
Levi Hibberd
Lucas Breeding
Henry Riddle
Jonathon McConnell
Daniel Deng
Raheim Brown

U16 GIRLS

TOURNAMENT PLAYERS
Alek Deng
Annaliese Elliott
Ava Thomson
Caitlin Hardin
Isabelle Daly
Isobelle Purdie
Lara Gribben
Maia Freemantle
Poppy Dix
Shamah Gabriel Yak
Zoe Jaekel

DEVELOPMENT PLAYERS
Annelise Lovell
Atrina Zand
Eloise Pederson
Lucy Pederson
Sydney Reemst

Reply #939799 | Report this post

Frogface19  
Earlier this month

@Blues67.. who have they missed in regards to size or simply no size depth in this age group?

Reply #939810 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Earlier this month

They do have size, it is u16s... so still growing.

Reply #939811 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Earlier this month

Blues67,

Deng is 6'4/5
Gribben and Dix maybe 6'2?

So a little bit of size

Reply #939812 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Earlier this month

Deng probably will be the second tallest in the comp.

Reply #939813 | Report this post

Blues67  
Earlier this month

Sorry, meant that their players with size, from my information are very raw.

Very guard heavy and don't understand why as Elliot and Hardin will be playing 30+ minutes a game.

Reply #939814 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Earlier this month

All bigger than 6'4.
I’d guess...

#1 Clague
#2 Deng
#3 Johnson

Reply #939815 | Report this post

Jayhoops  
Earlier this month

You don't understand why they didn't pick more talls that are even more raw than the aforementioned names?

SA's two best rep teams which make up the majority of the metro and country state teams are all guards or small wings. The talent just isn't deep this year for SA.

Reply #939816 | Report this post

Massive  
Earlier this month

If you think this years team is weak I think you'll be blown away by next years team. It will be weaker but sac will be weaker than them.

Reply #939817 | Report this post

SabreTooth  
Earlier this month

As mentioned size of the bigs not the problem just that Deng is very very raw and Dix is a bottom ager, Gribben will be fine. Perhaps a few more long wing type players might have helped but not sure whether there's any depth at that position either? By my count 7 guards and only Elliot and Daly have any size and length

Reply #939819 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two weeks ago

Watching both boys and girls u16 state champs, lots of good talent in both.
Logan win the boys comfortably.
Girls currently in progress.

Reply #940346 | Report this post

thinkingball  
Last week

Any intel on VicM women's updated team list?

Reply #940596 | Report this post

Crabby Crabot  
Last week

M Ryan named, as I suggested might happen, in sapphires squad.
Good luck VM, definitely going to need it now.

Reply #940748 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last week

WA teams announced

https://basketballwa.asn.au/bwa-u16-state-teams-footlocker-national-championships/

Reply #940750 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last week

TAS selection camp list

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=968778695247643&set=a.651928030266046

Reply #940758 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Earlier this week

QLD u16 teams.

South B
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=762970215817106&set=a.396758035771661

South G
https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=762959705818157&set=a.396758035771661

North B
https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=762965012484293&set=a.396758035771661

North G
https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=762954569152004&set=a.396758035771661

Reply #940904 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Earlier this week

NSW U16 teams

http://www.bnsw.com.au/news/2024-u16-state-team-announcement/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTAAAR1iZA1WZowDn7_XTQ2SCYe4-slYphVb3NESC7JSWG77GBzyjTOOr6ZvsOk_aem_AfVBUwtXPL8ZL259RjAr8ghO48jieQXVrHV23qVZnKuSJRxavRmuhsqhlhBiB6fZI5DcdaKteujCghPhxmV3ZsYK

Reply #940929 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Earlier this week

SA country u16 teams

G
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=898906082148936&set=pcb.898906115482266

B
https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=898906085482269&set=pcb.898906115482266

Reply #940961 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:01 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754