Bballfan
Last month

Another new stadium for South Adelaide

News today shows the Panthers building a 5 court complex. A bit frustrating when they've just had a new 2 court stadium built. Means Sturt are now enclosed by two strong programs both with much better facilities. Sturt is screwed unless the committee can pull off a miracle and find funds and location. No political leverage to use unlike South which is unfair. Attracting kids and coaches wanting to be elite will be very difficult for a few years and the district competition will be worse for a weakened Sturt.

Topic #51879 | Report this topic

+  
Last month

good on south for getting it done. It's a large basketball participation area that Sturt, South and Forestville cover - SBC is not Forestville's but I understand how that connection is made by some people. Like when Woodville were at the Powerhouse. I understand all clubs are involved at the SBC. South for a long time played with an under capacity stadium - so many teams in the competition and just 2 courts Marion - a lot of lower Div junior teams would never get a "home" game. The old stadiums were built to a decades ago benchmark. Now we have district Divs to 8 or 9 - need more courts. Pasadena was the bees knees in the early 2000s one of the first school / club set ups - not dissimilar to Eltham High. Real estate for Sturt's area would be one of the biggest factors - maybe with the South Rd work they could find some space there when businesses move / roadworks finish. Maybe another 2-3 courts could be added to Springbank ? IMO the challenge is working out benchmarks on how many game day courts a club needs as an average - i.e. one year they may have 70 teams another 55 - so a median needs to be established. South probably now have the right amount of courts / infrastructure for their teams / competitions. No doubt some Forestville teams pick up some more "Wayville" games via the SBC. No doubt Sturt would be on the "growth" plan list for facilities. IMO a good club is about the right people not facilities but the facilities need to be relevant to infrastructure needs for the sport to be of relevance to the community.

Reply #938450 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last month

Once South moves back to Marion, what will happen with the Mitchell Park Stadium? Could Sturt expand to use those courts, or does South have long-term control over Mitchell Park?

Reply #938509 | Report this post

+  
Last month

I would think South need both venues - why would they not use mitchell park still as well ? - it's a good venue. Sturt need new courts either added on at Pasadena or a new venue in their area.

Reply #938511 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last month

I'm sure South will continue to make use of Mitchell Park if they can. I'm just wondering who has control of the stadium? If South is just leasing it from the council then Sturt could potentially take that lease in the future. Not an ideal solution, but it could help them manage the situation until they can get a new stadium complex built.

Reply #938535 | Report this post

lowrider  
Last month

Sturt and south need a new stadium we all agree. Or maybe Sturt a good upgrade.
So much of Sa basketball is only focused on Adelaide. In the country we need new stadiums too, there have been some built/upgrade in the past few years but not enough. New work at the Bridge soon will be good and well overdue.
Your lucky if you are in a marginal seat and can push for extra money. but not all country seats are marginal. Strong just get stronger.

Reply #938692 | Report this post

benchballer  
Last month

Mavericks and Centrals will be the next two to get new stadiums in their respective areas, infrastructure in the two regions for Basketball will not keep up with the two highest population growths regions in the state, stretched to overflowing now. Centrals especially with plenty of greenfield space to do it once and do it properly. Will require funding across all three levels of government though, lucky the current state government loves sport at the moment!

Reply #938696 | Report this post

lowrider  
Last month

Yes, well that is good for Mavericks and Centrals. But both are close to Adelaide. There are other parts of Sa country that really need new stadiums as well, especially in the S.E. Unfortunately so much of the funding relies on the govt and if you are not in a marginal or favourable seat then often get overlooked. Sa govt has been sports focused lately, but mainly in and around Adelaide.

Reply #938699 | Report this post

benchballer  
Last month

The Mount Gambier stadium is impressive (although massive budget blowout)??

Port Augusta's new new looks good, but agree many other country regions need extra courts

@lowrider

Reply #938706 | Report this post

lowrider  
Last month

Sorry, your spot on about the stadium at the Mount. I was talking more about a few others in that region. My bad.
The Mount is impressive but the process had issues. Their blow out is like many building projects in this age which costs more. Govts then hesitate for future building projects now because it could cost more. Sorry, i will stop talking about politics.

Reply #938709 | Report this post

SabreTooth  
Last month

West Adelaide could probably do with a new stadium or at least the landlord to do some updates on things like changerooms toilets etc

Reply #938712 | Report this post

benchballer  
Last month

@sabretooth Toilets yes, just had the minor upgrades from squash to BB training area, but they would be looking for another 3 or so courts too would think

Reply #938713 | Report this post

SabreTooth  
Last month

A refurb of facilities at Port Adelaide would be absolute minimum I'd say and agree more courts on the wish list. It's a bit of an arms race with courts and up to date facilities at the moment with Southern, West and Sturt being left behind

Reply #938715 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:58 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754