Mr. Cam
Last month

Olympic Basketball Tournament Draw [Men]

https://www.fiba.basketball/olympics/women/2024/news/olympic-basketball-tournaments-paris-2024-draw-set-for-march-19

Topic #51884 | Report this topic

Hooping  
Last month

Boomers will draw either:

USA and Lithuania and Pot 4.
Spain/Germany and Canada/France and Pot 4
Spain/Germany and Canada/France and Pot 4

Pot 4 likely Greece or Slovenia.

Reply #938517 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last month

Live from FIBA Headquarters (and we all know where that is, right Mr Bogut?), with Carmelo Anthony and Australia's very own legend, PFT:

Reply #938782 | Report this post

Patty"TheGOAT"Mills  
Last month

Group A

AUS
W OQT GRE
CAN
W OQT ESP

---------------

Group B

FRA
GER
JPN
W OQT LAT

---------------

Group C

SRB
SSD
W OQT PUR
USA

---------------

Holy shit, we got selected into the group of death.

Reply #938784 | Report this post

KET  
Last month

Excuse my ignorance.

Is it quarters (top 8) or semis after the group stage?

Ie, Is it top and best second placed team or top 2 and 2 best second placed teams?

Reply #938785 | Report this post

Patty"TheGOAT"Mills  
Last month

The teams placed first and second in each group, and the two best third-placed teams will qualify for the Quarter-Finals.

Reply #938786 | Report this post

KET  
Last month

If we get Spain and Slovenia, Jesusssssssss

Reply #938788 | Report this post

Ski 61  
Last month

So Canada, Spain, Australia and probably either Greece or Slovenia, but I would say Greece is the heavy favorite, since they are playing at home.

Wow, that's the craziest group ever.

Reply #938789 | Report this post

Patty"TheGOAT"Mills  
Last month

To be honest, I'm so worried. I wouldn't be surprised if we lose every game in Group A.
That's because the game content at the last Basketball World Cup was really poor.
I don't trust Goorj. The tactics and strategy were really disappointing.

Reply #938790 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last month

The Olympics are a tough tourney, and all the groups are basically groups of death IMO. Spain is not the Spain of yesterday. Canada will be tough if their main guys are there, Slovenia have Doncic. Greece we should be able to beat as well.

Personally not sold on Goorj either based on last the last tourney but if we can't beat Spain/Greece/Slovenia then so be it, we don't deserve to make the next round. Still waiting for the next great Boomers scorer after Mills to emerge, and I'm not sure that it will, especially if Giddey still can't knock down 3s.

Reply #938796 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last month

Gonna be tough, group of death for sure.

Reply #938797 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

All groups looking like group of death. Strong field.

Reply #938799 | Report this post

LV  
Last month

We always get the group of death!

Doesn't matter, with only 12 teams it's basically must-win games all the way through.

Reply #938803 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last month

Kinda hard to get a pissweak group when it's a shortlist of 12 countries

Reply #938809 | Report this post

Hooping  
Last month

The OQT teams - perhaps makes it harder to finalise the Boomers team. Don't know exactly who you will get. Canada is NBA style - so they would understand what they are getting there.

The OQT teams will be in full competition mode with preparation games before the OQT events. The qualifiers will be tournament ready. Fingers crossed for some upsets. 2nd - 7th July.

The Boomers will probably be having BBQ's on the beach and playing a couple of 2nd rate warm up games while the OQT are getting down to work. The last WC preparation was extremely poor.

The tough pool will potentially mean that only 2 teams will qualify from that pool.

So hopefully there are some preparation games in mid June v NZ, Bahrain, Japan.

Then trim the squad and have some decent warm up games v the top ranked teams in early July.

Olympics starts July 26th.

Last possible game of NBA Finals is 23 June.

Reply #938818 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last month

Who's going?

Mills
Vasiljevic
Dellevedova
Goulding
Mcdowell-White
Exum
Green
Thybulle
Creek
Daniels
Galloway
Giddey
Ingles
Mcveigh
Travers
White
Kay
Cooks
Pinder
Bolden
Magnay
Reath
Landale
Humphries
Froling

Reply #938820 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last month

Who is going isn't going to matter this time around. Unlikely to advance.

Reply #938821 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last month

I've been a one-eyed Boomers optimist my entire life but it's hard to place much faith in what we saw at the world cup, and our ability to perform at a level to medal. Landale was a massive loss but I am not sure we've learned from it. I think Goorjian will keep trying to "play small ball" and it will keep not working. If nothing else I hope he's considered a clear and obvious need for big man insurance.

But beyond that I don't think we have the horses to do much. Our best players aren't getting many NBA minutes. We have a solid team talentwise from top to bottom but we lack a point of difference or a game breaker. I think when you break it all down, for this team to do better than crash and burn it needs Patty Mills to be 2021 Patty and nothing less. For all the Exums and the Giddeys and Greens, this team still needs its leader and the guy who can make a shot when nothing else is working. The Bat Symbol is out for Patty.

My prediction:

We get a win or two we're not expected to get and make it to the top 8 but I'd be very surprised if any further.

Reply #938822 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last month

I can't remember so could someone help me out here - will we be looking for a new Boomers coach in 4 months, after Paris?

Reply #938823 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last month

Yes Hoopie

Reply #938824 | Report this post

TrevorTorrance  
Last month

wow what a pool! might struggle here- every game is a must win!

Reply #938827 | Report this post

Patty"TheGOAT"Mills  
Last month

Can Landale and Reath be on the floor together? Will Goorj use those two together?
In last year's warm-up game, he didn't use those two together. Landale played as a starter and Reath played as a bench player.

Reply #939136 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:53 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754