Observer
Last month

Sixers import

Just reading about Sixers planning to sign Import ,I'm curious to see who it is ,I hope it’s a fresh face ,not an injured recycled import as we have received in past ,I take Cleveland or Williams .Anyone has any clues? I assume Sixers might only get two imports due to spending big on DJV and Humpries.

Topic #52001 | Report this topic

Dave  
Last month

I read somewhere, on here I think, that they have offered Kell a multi year deal?

Reply #941871 | Report this post

Peter  
Last month

Piecing together Intel from Q Anon and a few other posters with 36ers needs:

- Need starters at 1,3 & 4 spots, with 2 roster spots left.

- 4 will be mid season appointment of top local or 3rd import, with local being good enough to be worth the wait/gamble. Assume they are expecting multi year deal with local (who would strengthen local core with Isaac, DJV etc even further) therefore also half a long term play if willing to risk derailing this season for them.
- hope 1 of the younger guys really steps up before November and assume they will tweak something to create spot for above local or import.
- 1 will be stud PG import which is still a while away
- signing of import 3 is to be announced in about a week. If so, this player needs to be a stud aswell. Cleveland fits the description, but as good as Kell played under Scotty, does he fit that need?

Reply #941872 | Report this post

Peter  
Last month

*risk potentially derailing this season for.

The coaching staff and players already signed showed at the back end of last season they can be competitive, but import signings from here are key

Reply #941873 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last month

Dave, I saw the same thing. It was a regular poster on the Sixers Facebook page. I think there might be some truth to it, so I would not be surprised if the import they sign in the next week or two is Kell.

I'm ok with that, he’s a solid pick and roll scorer and defender. But if they are also going to sign an import point guard, then that means Kell will be defending opposing threes. I *think* that will be ok, because he is a big guard. Not sure what others think?

Anyone got any idea about who the 4 could be? I think someone already said that Motum is not coming this season as he has another year to run in Japan.

Thon Maker seems to be the latest idea. Really not sure about him. Has never really seemed to stick anywhere and make a name for himself. But he’s always been a bit of a mystery!

Reply #941877 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Last month

Interpreting the Weston video interview presser that the 36ers posted online yesterday
( and please correct me if I am wrong he is not the clearest guy moreso because the questions were way too open )

9 players signed so the two spots left are both for imports
Import 4/5 to be announced in the next week or two
Has 6/7 years in the NBA and has played here before
They have stopped discussions with Brock Motum.

Import point guard to be signed after summer league and NBA camps, have over 80 names on the board that they are looking at.

As I said this is just my interpretation from this and other interview comments so I reckon watch yourself and try and piece it together. I just wish someone would ask more direct clear questions.

Reply #941879 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last month

Ballin Fan, my understanding was that the 4 will be left open for a possible high level Aussie to join in November. A third import might be added there IF the Aussie 4 falls through.

The Sixers said they are looking for an import point guard but will wait until Summer League to see who is available.

IF the rumour about Kell having an offer on the table is true, he is probably the signing the Sixers are expecting soon.

So I'm expecting an import 1 and 3 at this stage, with a 4 man a maybe during the season. The team is a bit thin in the front court, but if the import point guard is a star playmaker, I could see the Sixers getting by with Lat and Starling at the 4.

Reply #941882 | Report this post

LaPark  
Last month

It does sound like the AFL clubs chasing Griscti accelerated the timeline on them signing him and maybe why they had to develop a Plan B of "go for 2 imports and reevaluate in November if we need more help"

Weston does seem to have some long-term plans for building the team into a more consistent winner, which is good and probably been missing for a few years. This season's slight pain could pay off long-term though if Griscti turns into a legit player in the coming years.

Reply #941885 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Last month

Beantown, I wish what you have posted is true but NBL rosters can only contain 11 players
or do you have information that the rosters will be extended to 12 for next season?
Or is one of the rostered players getting a buy out?

They now have 9 rostered players meaning that they can only sign another two players.
Or is there something else I am missing here ?

Reply #941888 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last month

Ballin Fan I think they will cut/ demote an Aussie to a DP if the 4 becomes available. I think it was rumoured awhile back that Dech might be bought out, for example?

I tend to believe that the Aussie 4 or third import is probably more aspirational anyway. I think its much more likely that we just run two imports all season.

Reply #941894 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

If Kell comes back and doesn't play the point Sixers will have to many wings again, just don’t understand how they are balancing their side. Imo Kell plays point or not at all.

Reply #941899 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Last month

Beantown I think you are on the money there.

The Dech buyout rumour was so strong, I heard that Ninnis or someone personally flew to WA to assure Sunday that he was still required.

To me Starling would be the best guy out as I don't see him as a long term 4/5. And when someone was injured he has the versatility to be an all purpose replacement.

I thought Weston addressed the rumoured Aussie 4 as Motum whom he said is now contracted and would take a spot away from an import anyways.

I personally like Trey Kell, but only as a point guard
I be would be happy to have him back, but it sounds like they are going in a different direction for that point position.

Reply #941902 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last month

I wouldn't want to see Kell as our main point guard. They said they are waiting until Summer League to find their point guard as well, so IF Kell has an offer on the table, that suggests to me that they see him in a slightly different role.

The way I see Kell is not as a lead point guard, but as a pick n roll playmaker who would be a great second option. So I would have him start at the three defensively as a secondary creator after the import point guard.

That way he is not struggling to chase nimble little guards around screens and when our main point guard has a rest, or gets too much attention, Kell can hopefully keep the offence rolling.

Reply #941910 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last month

Ballin Fan, I didn't see the video you refer to, nor am I really up to date with what's going on, but if you've taken away that the imminent import signing could be a 4/5, then is there some truth to the Alan Williams rumor maybe? Would fit the description?

The only local 4 you'd go out of your way to sign is Motum. It has to be Motum. Could the plan be to bring in Williams, have him cover the 4/5 until they secure Motum/import, and then slide Williams to backup 4/5, and drop someone like Starling? Or it could be the case that the young local big could go back to DP?

Surely, the only player worth gambling on availability would be Motum. If it was me, I'd just sign 3 imports.

Reply #941915 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last month

Alan Williams? Yikes! He can't stay healthy and wouldn’t fit next to Isaac. That would not make any sense for the Sixers at all!

Reply #941916 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Last month

Getting an import 4/5 first was not mentioned in yesterday's video interview, it was mentioned in a previous interview. The Advertiser also mentioned a while ago that Galloway was leaving to go to somewhere where he was promised a starters role. So I am just trying to put clues together really.

Williams to me does not fit the description. To me Gary Clark is the one who fits the description but really I have no idea, I am just going on the social media snippets put out by the club.

Reply #941917 | Report this post

Peter  
Last month

I have watched the videos. He specifically said he has spoken with Motum's agent and while he had interest in returning, both sides ruled it out as he has 1 year left on current deal and was earning too much overseas.

He will announce an import over coming weeks, but didn't elaborate on what position, but it's not a PG

He has a heap of PG's on his radar but the top 2 are both going to summer league so needs to see how that plays out.

I like the way he sounds, he doesn't sound like a used car salesman, is big on culture, which is non negotiable for him and is building a team including succession planning for years to come. Goal is to retain a strong core and consistently make 4.

Said it's hard to go from basement to penthouse in 1 year but long term culture of the club is very important. Based on that, if a high end Aussie 4 with right attitude is available later in season, I could imagine him trying to lock them in long term as part of overall strategy

He was really happy with Lat signing

Reply #941921 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Last month

Have posted on this before, I would prefer someone else to Kell. Need a guard import with speed. Kell is slow and not a good defender. Hyrum Harris could take him to the rim off dribble from 3pt line. Sixers need some leg speed in the back court.

Reply #941936 | Report this post

Jonno  
Last month

I'm hoping the import forward is Cleveland or Simon or Hogg

Reply #941938 | Report this post

Bertie Bixer  
Last month

6/7 years NBA exp and played in nbl before. James Ennis has no club ATM.

Reply #941943 | Report this post

Peter  
Last month

Reading latest ESPN mock draft. Flowers not listed. If he doesn't get drafted does he return to Adelaide? He didn't really play under Scotty?

Reply #941996 | Report this post

Basket 91  
Last month

Flowers should've done a second season as a next star and entered next year.

That’s something next stars don’t do enough of imo.

Reply #941999 | Report this post

Mathew  
Last month

It's a tough call to do a second or a third season as a next star because it does hurt your draft prospects. Even if he did come back I don’t think it would be with Adelaide because I don’t think he fits the coaches game style

Reply #942017 | Report this post

NP  
Last month

Could Gary Clark be an option?

Reply #942114 | Report this post

LaPark  
Last month

I get the vibe Ninnis isn't particularly interested in the Next Stars concept or using a roster spot and playing time to develop a player for another league to take.

Reply #942122 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Last month

His owners are probably interested in the payout the club would receive if drafted and signed though

Reply #942131 | Report this post

Observer  
Last month

Did Weston say that there will be an import announced thus week?
Possibly stalled?,back to drawing board?

Reply #942219 | Report this post

LaPark  
Last month

He said he hoped to have the first one signed in a week or two 9 days ago, so they're still within their originally talked about timeframe.

Reply #942220 | Report this post

NP  
Two weeks ago

Ninnis has come out and said the 36ers won't be spending as much as the normally do.
Spoke to DJ Hogg and Cleveland.
No mention of an import close, unlike what Weston said.
Will go to summer league.
NS highly unlikely.

Reply #942259 | Report this post

KET  
Two weeks ago

Do you happen to know where he said that ie a SEN interview or something? Would love to listen to it.

I understand that spending isn't everything and we also want the 36ers to be sustainable.

At the same time, they need to spend to have a fighting level of talent, which I don’t think they do and if they only sign 2 imports I don’t think they will especially if they don’t completely nail the imports NZ Breakers style.

The problem hasn’t been expenditure, it has been reckless expenditure on the wrong people, like imports that never play or a revolving door of coaches.

Even when they spent big on MM they didn’t funnel their spending around him to make it work with a good PG to attempt a Gibson-Ervin style duo.

Whilst they’ve said a lot of the right things and fully acknowledge that Humphries and DJV are a fantastic starting point, I just don’t trust the 36ers to get the roster right.

Reply #942264 | Report this post

Peter  
Two weeks ago

Weston now quoted that 2 imports will be PG (looking for a stud so will take some time) and a 4 man who can do grunt work.

"Weston said the import 'four man' will have to play multiple roles, be able to put points on the board and have the ability to play some minutes ‘at the five’ (centre).

"We are looking for a guy who has grunt, not a fancy guy and be able to fit in with the culture we are building," Weston said."

Assume this means the waiting until November to potentially sign a gun local at 4 spot is now dead and 36ers will look to run with 1 stud import PG + I read lower cost 4.

I hope I'm wrong but not sure even with starting 5 including DJ, Ice + 2 imports will compete with Sydney, Tas etc.

Reply #942421 | Report this post

Beantown  
Two weeks ago

Weston on the 4 spot:

""And at the four spot (power forward), we are after someone who can stretch the floor and some who can defend.

“Someone who can defend (Jack) McVeigh, (Jack) White and (Xavier) Cooks."

Weston said the import 'four man' will have to play multiple roles, be able to put points on the board and have the ability to play some minutes ‘at the five’ (centre)."

Not asking for much! Lol!

If they get a guy who does all that he will cost top dollar!

They definitely should be knocking on Gary Clark's door. Brantley might fit the bill as well.

Reply #942430 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two weeks ago

Beantown, lol.

"We're looking for someone who is 7 feet ll, has perfect teeth, good looking, hits 100% of threes, can play every position, can play every minute of every game, will not get injured, would be a 99 on 2k, and will play for free."

Reply #942433 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Two weeks ago

worry but dont worry

Reply #942434 | Report this post

NP  
Two weeks ago

Oh we are worried Q ANON.

Reply #942435 | Report this post

NP  
Last week

Can we conclude that whoever the GM thought he'd have signed a week ago has fallen through and they are back to the drawing board?

Reply #942565 | Report this post

Jonno  
Last week

Patience required on imports, most teams dont get their imports locked in until after Summer league.

At least it sounds like they are looking at the right types of players as imports this time, which is a welcome change.

Reply #942566 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Last week

That guy signed with Sydney. Still different options at play. Owner needs to know he has over paid in the past but thats no reason to stop spending this season. He now has someone working in the interest of team success and not their own pockets.

Reply #942567 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last week

So, sixers have missed out on Walton Jr & Oliver? Can they sign 2 or 3 imports?

Reply #942568 | Report this post

Peter  
Last week

Q Anon, assume it was Cam Oliver they missed out on as an import, not the gun Aussie they were chasing being Keli Leaupepe

Reply #942569 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last week

What the hell are the Sixers doing about imports this season? So many teams have signed imports, some multiple imports and yet the Sixers new GM said an import was going to be signed a week or two ago. Same old shit with the Sixers.

Adelaide -
Perth - Cotton, Doolittle
Cairns - Edwards, Groves
Brisbane - Prather, Scott, Cook
Sydney - Oliver
Illawarra - Harvey
Melbourne -
SE Melbourne - Walton
Tasmania - Crawford, Doyle, Sword
New Zealand - PJC

Reply #942570 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Last week

Only Walton Oliver and Cotton on that list are impressive to me. Rest are below par or unproven in the NBL. Sixer fans needs patience. Like I said it may well be a very good Christmas in Adelaide.

Reply #942571 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Last week

Add Doyle to impressive.

Reply #942572 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last week

Cotton and Doyle are continuing imports and Walton has an out clause, Oliver under Goorj should be fine but jury still out, as Q Anon said, some very average players there with the rest.

Reply #942573 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Last week

We need more teams in the nbl. Can't take it serious still. Sick of the small venues the nbl make for the new teams.

Reply #942574 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last week

I'm not sure waiting until Christmas time to do anything is a great idea, that's mid-season. Look at last season we waited until mid-season to fire CJ and despite the positive turn around under Ninnis that in-action ensured we missed the playoffs for the sixth consecutive year.

Way too often the fans get served up dud imports by Sixers admin, pur imports over the past 10 years:

Jamar Wilson, Daequon Montreal, Ebi Ere, Kenyon McNeil, Jerome Randle, Terrance Ferguson, Eric Jacobsen, Shannon Shorter, Ramone Moore, Ronald Roberts, Alan Wiggins, Josh Childress, Jacob Wiley, Adris Deleon, Demitrius Conger, Eric Griffin, Deshon Taylor, Donald Sloan, Tony Tucker, Jeremy Kendle, Brandon Paul, Dusty Hannahs, Todd Withers, Robert Franks, Antonius Cleveland, Craig Randall, Ian Clark, Jamaal Franklin, Trey Kell.

Reply #942575 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last week

* our imports

Reply #942576 | Report this post

NP  
Last week

RAKEEM CHRISTMAS?

Reply #942577 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last week

He was mediocre with the Breakers and that was six years ago now.

Reply #942578 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last week

Jrue Holiday? Lol

Reply #942579 | Report this post

Jonno  
Last week

I'd wait to see who we do sign before complaining too much

If they were trying to sign Walton and Oliver who would have been good gets, it's a sign they are at least looking in the right direction import wise

This will be the first imoort combo signed by Weston/ninnis, so I'll see how it goes before saying its good or bad

Reply #942580 | Report this post

Massive  
Last week

I like the messaging that's coming out of the 36ers. With patience and no doubt a trip to summer league the GM will get this done. That guy is a walking success at whatever he does (easy research shows this to be true).

Reply #942581 | Report this post

a5ian nbl fan  
Last week

@Dunkman about the out clauses I reckon every import and most of the league would have an out clause of some sort.
It's the league we live in now days but I suspect teams have put a time line on when they can excercise their rights and clauses

Reply #942583 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last week

"I like the messaging that's coming out of the 36ers. With patience and no doubt a trip to summer league the GM will get this done. That guy is a walking success at whatever he does (easy research shows this to be true)."

Thanks for posting Matt

Reply #942587 | Report this post

LaPark  
Last week

I like the messaging from the GM too, but at this stage it is just talk, so could be meaningless in the end.

I at least like there is someone basketball minded in charge who is seemingly looking to build a sustainable basketball program, rather that just dump $ into imports and hope the pieces all work. There's been very little ability to build a cohesive team over the last few years and even if the results don't fully come immediately this year I'm hoping they can start the process towards building that team.

Reply #942588 | Report this post

Massive  
Last week

@sebastian wrong.....again lol.

Reply #942592 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last week

Sorry Mrs Matt

Reply #942593 | Report this post

Jonno  
Last week

I like that they are looking for a high level PG and PF/C as the imports to start the season.

Im hoping we get guys along the lines of Jaylen Adams and Jerrell Martin

Reply #942598 | Report this post

Massive  
Last week

...….and again :-3

Reply #942604 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Last week

I'm still laughing about qanon not thinking pjc is impressive. Obviously missed the whole of last season!!

But on a serious note where are all those import contacts DJV was going to call and entice to sign with the 36ers? Maybe he's got the hint...

Reply #942666 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last week

Have you watched DJ at Waverley...He has far greater problems to worry about when Krebs is schooling him

Reply #942671 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last week

DJV is a far better player than Krebs. Star NBL players like DJV just use the mickey mouse state leagues to stay in shape during the off-season, NBL benchies like Krebs need to ball out in those leagues to try and improve their court time in the NBL.

Last season in the NBL:

Vasiljevic - 19.7 ppg

Krebs - 5.3 ppg

Reply #942673 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last week

Don't react emotionally champ. Watch the game and then comment.

Generally the stats along with the vision don't lie. DJV is not making any Olympic team.

But you're cute for defending your boy.

Reply #942674 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last week

You're the one reacting emotionally to some nothing NBL1 games.

DJV is not going to make the Olympic team, nor is he my boy.

Reply #942679 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last week

Nor is he currently out playing bench players like Krebs

Reply #942682 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:59 am, Sun 16 Jun 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754