patts
Years ago

Commonwealth games standouts

Does anyone have any guesses on who are going to be the standout players at the commonwealth games for men or women from any country? Besides LJ- as we all know she will kickass anyway.

I am tipping for the womens Aus team, Erin Phillips and LJ. I think Angela Marino will do well for NZ ans she was their top scorer in the Olympics.

I am not sure on the mens?

Topic #6369 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

find it very hard to get excited about the basketball at the commonwealth games

yes we will get gold medals
but really it would be like watching the melbourne tigers or the sydney kings playing

sturt/woodville/centrals or any other ABA side.

Reply #71687 | Report this post

patts  
Years ago

Well anonymous, why dont you go move to America if Austalian basketball bores you so much.

Reply #71698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who is bored with australian basketball?

all i said was i didn't want to watch games that were very one sided.

I love Australian basketball, have seen Aussies play overseas, been to olympic game (s) follow them whenever or wherever but I can't get enthused knowing we will virtually beat some teams by just turning up.

And don't tell me I'm the only one that is why they are still selling basketball tickets

why Foxtel are still pushing to get people to sign up - and the games themselves aren't that well supported.

only 2 weeks away and there are 11,000 tickets to the opening ceremony available.

In all games that I have known, or tried to get tickets to the opening ceremony is usually the first to be sold out.

Reply #71704 | Report this post

Sawmeinhalf  
Years ago

Hang on a minute. I didn't get any tickets for the opening ceremony when I applied!

Must only be the richest tickets left.

Reply #71730 | Report this post

Trex  
Years ago

A side show at best, a couple of our best women players decided that playing in Euro was more important to them.

The canadians gave the Comm games no cred prefering to concentrate on the World Champs later this year.

How can you get excited about the prospect of teams getting belted by margins that can at best be described as embarassing.

The men will have at least one or two games where they will have to work, the women, noone is within a bulls roar including NZ.

The Opals world Challenge in Apr will show just how poor the Comm games comp was.

Reply #71735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anonymous #71704.
The basketball has been sold out for ages, except for a couple of women's sessions in the country that did not involve Australia. I have been trying to get tickets since the first ballot and missed out then. I was only able to get one morning sessions for the womens. It does have a semi final, but knowing my luck, it won't be our girls.

The opening Ceremony tickets cost $420 or $590 each. Who can afford those? I paid $50 for a Closing Ceremony ticket, but the ones that are left cost $100 to $420. No way would I pay those prices.

To the comment that the games are not well supported, the only tickets that we can buy now are to the minor sports. Athletics has still got tickets, but have sold out 2 complete days. Remember how many fit into the MCG!!

Reply #71743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldnt go predicting gold medals too soon.... weve gotten way ahead of ourselves before.....like when we thought we'd just run NZ over for the world champs.... sure india, scotland will be laughable games... but Englands got more experience then us with 3 former NBA players on the team. We should clean sweep and embarass every team......... that has to be good for boomers confidence leading into the world champs.... but would the team be recognisable????? watching the finals has made me question CJ's place on the team, if thats CJ in pressure situations i think we need to pull the stick outta mahers ass and get him out there!

Reply #71767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon 71767 I was going to say exactly the same thing. Lets not pencil in the gold yet. NZ beat us to get into the last worlds and did very good there.

Reply #71773 | Report this post

Rodman  
Years ago

I dont think men are much chop ... just might be me though

Reply #71803 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:36 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754