bballer
Years ago

NH- why Athletics numbers are so low?

After watching the commonwealth games live at the MCG and thinking to myself..there are 85,000 packed people here enjoying a special event. Athletics numbers around the country and especially Adelaide are decreasing rapidly. Being an athlete myself, i just cant really comprehend it. the opportuninty to maybe represent your country etc its amazing..like any other sport. yet it seems numbers are decreasing. It is sad really, i hope the commonwealth games will help make some kids dreams and help the numbers in athletics

Topic #6836 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

little athletics is very big with kids at a young age but when it starts to become more serious, trainings etc. it becomes increadibly boring, in comparison to bball where the game changes no matter what athletics espesully the running side all you see is the same lines everytime you step on the track. Its just no fun

Reply #76493 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

The one thing is in the past the kids have had nothing to look up to. Theres always been one or 2 decent athletes from australia, but not enough. Plus athletics doesnt get on the TV as much as say footy, cricket, and even basketball occasionally. I dont think its that its boring, if ur really keen, but youve gotta get the kids interested. They should wanna be steffensen or cathy freeman or craig mottram etc.

Reply #76496 | Report this post

bballer  
Years ago

why cant it get on tv more? The commonwealth games showed that there is interest there!!

Reply #76519 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

The TV coverage was only aussies tho. They only showed heats with aussies in it. Thats why there was so much interest, i suppose. I dont think it was for athletics itself, not saying im not a fan coz i love watching it, but i dont think it will attract that many viewers (the regular athletics season)

Reply #76662 | Report this post

Some one  
Years ago

I would have to say athlettics has lost its appeal when compared to other sports, like all sports lots of people will go and watch but not alot of those people seem to be in the track and feild sports.

the main reason for big crowds at commonwealth games etc is because the country is being represented and its all historic etc but unlike football and NBl its not as entertaining to watch if i want to watch some one run i just have to drive past smithfeild and watch ppl running here and there.

Also atheltics is a more individual sport its like watching tennis of golf its pretti boring.

unless your doin it but unlike athletics tennis and gold and then NBL NBA! AFL have a lot of money involed i dnt hear of athlettes being paid multimillion dollar contracts and huge endorsments by nike like eg le bron Wat was he gettin 5 million for his rookie season and then was signed a 20 million 5 year endorsment deal with nike.

then you go to soccer its ridiculous what they get paid and there treated like gods theres just a bit more insentive in those sports to excel with money liek that on offer.

Reply #80600 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:56 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754