yogee
Years ago

Funny Darren Ng a Sixer!!

Just reported on 7 Sport - Darren Ng has been signed.

Great to see the Ninja back!!

Topic #7392 | Report this topic

Years ago

Just saw this a few seconds ago! Great news!

Reply #83119 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

who is that?

Reply #83122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

U cant be serious hurley .. check the sturt box score .. you will soon find out

Reply #83124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thats right up there with asking who is James Pennington

Reply #83128 | Report this post

wolly  
Years ago

im not really sure wether this is good or bad.

Darren has been out of the nbl a year and might seem rusty a bit but at the same token he probably might of been where forman and holmes are if he had stayed.

hopefully hes good and can contribute well for them team

Reply #83130 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

so how many spots are left?

Reply #83131 | Report this post

wolly  
Years ago

1 i think

C: Wheeller
PF:
SF: Nash
SG: Farley
PG: Maher

6:Copeland
7:AM
8:Hill
9:Cooper
10:Ng

I think most people will agree with me when i say i think our team looks like a cut under most teams this season. our success will depend on would import we can pick up.

Reply #83132 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Watching Darren play in the ABA, he doesn't look like he's lost his touch at all. In fact, he is playing better than he's ever played. I know you can't compare ABA to NBL, but he's right up there with the best of them. Good pick up by the Sixers.

Reply #83140 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Darren is in brilliant form, no doubt about it. Hurley, his games this season (points) have been:

30, 40, 25, 16, 17, 20, 26, 27, 44, 28, 37.

Averaging 39 MPG, shooting at 48.5% from the field and 45.7% from the arc.

If you don't know anything about him, he's in this team photo (#8). There's a photo of him getting an alley-oop here. Plus he was in this Nike commercial. He's a very lightly built guard, but a smart player who can shoot the ball very, very well.

IMO, a very good signing.

Reply #83144 | Report this post

Defence win games  
Years ago

This is great news !

Reply #83148 | Report this post

Stingray  
Years ago

Can play. If im not wrong, was it not Darrens choice to step away from the 6ers?

He can play, forget about the size/build factor > he can go and is dangerous in the NBL. Not a focus, can guard also.
Good luck mate, you have to get more looks up this shot tho.... only part missing the last time.

Reply #83154 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

good to see him back in the side, started to get a cult following last time

Reply #83157 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Great news.

Much better than throwing in a development player/unknown. At least with Ninja you know you have a sweet shooter who you can throw in for short bursts to shoot the lights out!

Reply #83160 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Stingray, he stepped away from the Sixers at a time when his Medicine Studies became full on and couldn't manage both his studies and playing for the Sixers. I am not sure if he has completed his studies, but he must be at a point in his life now where he can manage to come back.

Reply #83162 | Report this post

Brissy_Boy  
Years ago

I agree, Darren is a sweet shooter. The defence side of his game is questionable though. He is playing quite well at the moment. However, the defence is a lot tougher in the NBL.
With the mentioned roster I think he will struggle to get many minutes.

Reply #83164 | Report this post

Sam  
Years ago

there wont be a second import! dont people think its strange that nothing has been said abot this for weeks, since they were keeping it such a secret so no one else would take him. Just good old Fairy tale Phil bull shiting the fans again! thats our team this year plus a couple development players, like it or lump it

Reply #83169 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

lol sam, there will be a 2nd import

isaac, do you know if there still talking with kevin freeman

Reply #83172 | Report this post

Bonz  
Years ago

Great news!

Quality player and I think he is a more mature player now and with the numbers he's been putting up on a regular basis, it should help his confidence in the big league.

I'm sure we'll see some good minutes from Darren this year.

Reply #83176 | Report this post

ring  
Years ago

Darren is an awesome player! This is a great move by the club. I know for a fact that he has come back because his med exams are now all over so he has more time for the sixers. He is a true gentleman of the game on and off the court. Well done Ninja...now give Marcus a few more years and we might see a brother duo in the sixers line up.

Reply #83177 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He is in his final year of medicine I believe. Finishes up around November, so prior to that might be on a limited training schedule. Still, limited training doesn't seem to be hurting his shooting with Sturt.

I'm pretty sure they still have the second import to come.

Reply #83193 | Report this post

Sixers33  
Years ago

Good move by Sixers. I have been waiting for a long time for his return. YES!!!!

Reply #83241 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Why is that Sixer 33 cause you can watch him sitting oin the bench?

Reply #83250 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The official press release:

NG TO MAKE 36ERS RETURN

The Adelaide 36ers is pleased to confirm that the club has re-signed Darren Ng for the coming NBL season.

Ng, a crowd favourite, played for the 36ers from 2002  2005 before deciding to take last season off due to medical studies. His outstanding BankSA State League form for local club Sturt (averaging 28.2 points per game and leading the league), and agreeing to a schedule with Head Coach, Phil Smyth, that will accommodate Darren's training and study needs, has enabled Darren to re-join the 36ers as a popular edition to the team roster for 2006/07.

Darren played 63 games for the 36ers in three seasons and averaged 4 points per game. His sweet shooting is sure to be a welcome return to the team and he will draw heavily on his previous NBL experience.

Reply #83256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers33 gets happy about eveything.

Reply #83275 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

he sure does!

Reply #83281 | Report this post

Sixers33  
Years ago

yes i am a happy bloke

Reply #83303 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Popular "edition," eh?

Reply #83314 | Report this post

BC  
Years ago

It is good news. My only bad thought is how many guards do we need? Just like our women's team do we need 5 or 6 guards out of the 12 spots on a team. Maybe we do but would have thought we need a balance? I guess we will have to run the floor. That is not a bad thing but looking around the league other teams can do this as well but are taller then us. So if they get us into a half court game it could be game over.

Reply #83316 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

With only the Import spot left to be filled and a PF the likley spot for this player is anyone else concerned about who we are playing at SF?
Nash seems to be the name everyone keeps putting there but is he up to starting there? If not Nash, who tho?? Surely Copeland wouldnt be. Dont think AJ is quite ready for that either. I think I would almost rather see

C - Wheeler
PF - IMPORT
SF - Farley
SG - Maher
PG - Hill

Big step up for Hill, but he proved late in the season that he is capable and we need to start preparing for Maher to wind down.

Reply #83318 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

Not really.

We have Nash and Majstrovic who can both provide good service at the 3 spot.

We also have a better backcourt than any other team in the league in my opinion with Maher, Farley, Hill, Copeland and Ng all quality and deserving of minutes.

5 decent players trying to split time across 2 positions suggests to me that we will go with a 3 guard rotation for much of the season with Farley and Hill spending time at the 3.

If that is the case then our PF import is going to have to be a major presence and good rebounder if we are going to keep teams under 110ppg against us.

Reply #83322 | Report this post

wolly  
Years ago

C: Wheeler/Cooper
PF:IMPORT /AM
SF:Nash /Copeland
SG:Farley /Ng
PG:Maher /Hill

i'd go with that. we have Ng at the 2 spot because he is more of a scoring thread than being a gaurd. AM is at the 4 spot because i'd prefer him there more than Nash. Hill is at the 1 spot because if he is ment to be our replacement for Maher one day he must learn the position. Copeland is at the 3 spot because i think his role in the team this year will be more of a shooting role rather than a guard role.

to me this seems like a realistic idea of how the team will be put together but thats just my opinion. thoughts??

Reply #83329 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I still think that the 3 spot is gonna be our weakness. Would Nash start on any other team in the League?

Reply #83332 | Report this post

Sixers33  
Years ago

Skip- no he wouldn't and yes, that would be our weakness if we get a tall muscley import

Wolly- You are right on the spot

Reply #83335 | Report this post

wolly  
Years ago

prehaps if we were to get an import swingman who could play PF SF and even Centre some times. that might be the answer to our SF spot

Reply #83341 | Report this post

kidd05  
Years ago

how about boris diaw then?

Reply #83350 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

No Diaw does not meet our age requirement, he is too young.

Reply #83364 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:53 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754