skip
Years ago

What is going on with the Slingers?

With both Davidsons & Melmeth gone, Pero struggling to be fit last year and rumours of nobody really being happy at the club what are the chances of Singapore putting any sort of decent team on the court this season?

So far Ben Knight is their only confirmed player which I think has to be a major concern, not just to the club but also to the NBL.

Does anyone believe that this team will play on again after the coming season? I certainly dont.

Topic #11266 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Ben Knight is a decent piece, but you're right - they don't have much else. Darren Ng was apparently very close to signing there, so maybe they'll coax Marcus away as his game is improving (not sure of his study timing though).

After that, their best bet is to go after some SEABL kids like Reardon and Conn and at least try to assemble a half-arsed side like the Pigs last year. Maybe spend up and lure a non-import from Europe like Tait or Dickel or whoever.

They'll need a lot of luck to survive another two years I reckon, as sad as that is to say.

Reply #131220 | Report this post

dinozzo  
Years ago

I remember hearing some time back that they were getting chinese players in for next season. Maybe the nbl are yet to release that they will be able to play as non imports. I guess we'll need to wait and see

Reply #131226 | Report this post

I dont think the slingers are going to survive very long unless the focus on getting a few more asian teams into the league! such as a thai team! some asian rivalry would really assist the league

Reply #131227 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Correct me if I am wrong, But I certainly wouldnt think that Chinese players would be allowed to play as locals.
AFAIK, even players from Singapore are still regarded as Imports.

Reply #131228 | Report this post

im sure they have changed the rules on asian imports to a degree, but what to exactly im not sure

i know slingers had a few asian development players last season

Reply #131229 | Report this post

People are talking about some NCAA and NAIA young players .

Darren Ng could have become the new poster boy so lets hope the 36ers do not keep him too much on the bench .

Assuming the team basicly will be young players then most likely the PG and C will be reasonable high profile imports. Can not say more .

Reply #131234 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Skip, I think they can have Singaporeans as locals, but I don't know that many/any are good enough for more than a development spot. They need to allow them to run Chinese players as locals.

Reply #131238 | Report this post

Re all this talk about imports . So far Singapore citizens can play as locals but only for the Slingers .

Player who are citizens of any other country in Asia can not play as locals nor can Singaporeans play for any other team.

Last year there were 2 Singaporeans in the team full time but both are having a a steep learning curve though the PF is certainly adjusting to the NBL game style.

The NBL needs to make a decision whether the league is for australians/nz's and US imports or whether the league wants to open up and embrace Asian players from PRC , Phillipines inparticular but maybe also Korean and Japanese players as locals.

Reply #131240 | Report this post

C.Paul#3  
Years ago

Is Mike Helms playing 4 the slingers this season??

Reply #131343 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:39 pm, Fri 10 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754