curtleyambrose
Years ago

Info about the NZ NBL?

Anyone know what the salary cap is for the NZNBL? And also what type of crowds do they get (size)? I'm surprised theres not more direct contact between the NBL and the Kiwi league apart from some Aussies playin there each season.

Topic #14259 | Report this topic

Years ago

This is a bit off-topic, but I don't get why we have a New Zealand team in the Australian NBL, when they have their own league.

I assume their league isn't as big and not up to the same standard, but still, I just find it stupid. Just for argument's sake, I feel the same about the NZ teams in the A-League and NRL. I don't have anything against New Zealand, and I know it's good for the players and that sort of thing probably, but it's a different country, so I don't really see the point of them having teams in our leagues.

Reply #167606 | Report this post

Fat Bottomed Girl  
Years ago

Here, here 3. Lets get the game fixed in our own back yard 1st before we "tinker" with an international comp.

The fact that we may be about to loose the Hawks to the NBL while the Slingers & Breakers are running around, whipping crowds into a deep sleep, just isnt good enough.

Reply #167616 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think the Hawks' problems are probably more of their own making?

As for the original question, I'd say the NZ NBL might be a little bit better than or around the level of the SEABL in terms of cap, crowds, etc.

This year is one of the first I can recall in which AU NBL teams have picked up NZ NBL imports. Crowe has done pretty well for the Blaze. Hendrix has been a mixed bag for South. Adelaide looked at Pace.

We might see more of that in the future?

Reply #167627 | Report this post

curtleyambrose  
Years ago

Yeh this idea of creating new teams over night really grinds my gears (in all sports). Having said that, the breakers would benefit from another team in NZ, maybe on the South island to get the interest up.

Reply #167706 | Report this post

Fat Bottomed Girl  
Years ago

Curtly, if you petition the NZ NBL they will come and play one of their home and away games in your back yard; You would instantly double their average game attendance (if you had 3 people in your back yard, that actually watched the match) and would surely triple the average IQ that is at every game!

Reply #168309 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:51 am, Wed 8 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754