LC
Years ago

Andrew Gaze joins BA Board

Andrew Gaze has joined the reformed board of BA to help get basketball back on track...

Link to story: http://linky.com.au/pwt9l

Is Gaze's influence on the board going to help? Chuck is a former player that has done nothing to help so how is Gaze going to make a difference? the only difference I see is that Gaze is the most widely known and recognisable face associated with australian basketball in Australia. I still reckon we need a Frank Lowy type of person to take control.

Topic #16580 | Report this topic

Years ago

Less teams and Marketing... thats what its all about.
So hopefully he has some ideas about that side of things.

Reply #195056 | Report this post

Woody  
Years ago

Yeah... minus the tax fraud though... :)

Reply #195057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hear what you guys have said and they are good points, however, I think that hopefully, Gaze will be able to make some positive improvements that he has publicised need to be made and soon.
My main concern is that he might get 'turned' to the current way of thinking at the NBL: burying heads in sand....

Reply #195059 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

frightening...

Reply #195061 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

One thing Gaze would be great for is using his media profile to market the game. He is just about the only guy that has any national media pull and he has such a genial nature that people can't help but love him.

He is not the hard nosed businessman that we need reorganising and running the league though. Can anyone see Gaze cracking heads together to make these kinds of things happen?

Reply #195067 | Report this post

WallStreet  
Years ago

What you guys miss is that success in sports and business can be directly related. Andrew Gaze is an extremely self motivated person, with excellent leadership and communication skills. He also has the respect of the Australian community. A great move.

Reply #195070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WallStreet- the parallel between success in sport and business is also a double edged sword.
Many previously successful sportspeople have made what they believed to be an easy transition, thinking the same mentality that helped them in sport is an easily transferrable skill, only to have screwed things up royally, despite their best intentions.
Management takes a long time to master- it is that way for a reason.
I hope Gaze will be given room and scope to do a good job because if he doesn't, then I'm not sure what or who else can get positive results for the game in this country.

Reply #195073 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Worst case, he gives them a better media presence. Can hardly hurt, although maybe having two Tigers reps on the board is questionable (assuming Seamus is still there).

Reply #195076 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Hopefully it keeps him off the Fox commentary team! But seriously though, I tend to think it's certainly not a bad move in terms of exposure for basketball.

Reply #195085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basketball in Australia needs massive change- not just exposure!

Reply #195087 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Anonymous - Basketball in Australia in general does not need massive change, however basketball at the top does. Grassroots basketball is still doing very well.

Reply #195089 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I like this move. A recently retired player and one who has played the game. Much better understanding and knows the people.

They should add in Copeland and Rucker to help him out.

Reply #195100 | Report this post

playa  
Years ago

Gaze can bring his NBA champinship cradentuals to good use !!

Reply #195103 | Report this post

:O  
Years ago

I hope Gaze realises that the grass roots funds the boomers, and all their efforts are required to get more pople(kids) playing bball.
The rest is what follows

Reply #195123 | Report this post

skinny  
Years ago

Thats a good move. BA right now is a joke, and the people running it are hopeless. Andrew will hopefully have a positive impact and maybe the employees at BA will learn something from him, because they are doing a crap job at the moment.

Reply #195146 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

:0,
the grassroots do not fund the boomers. if the grassroots fund anything in BA's constrained budget, the fund their own insurance cover, and the outstanding public liability and D&O coverage that BA provide to all associations and clubs, and they fund perhaps some of administration junior tourney type stuff and some of the limited other things BA do.
The Australian Sports Commission virtually exclusively, along with Australia Post and Peak, fund the Boomers...
The grassroots make a tiny contribution to BA's extremely limited total revenue - its actually one of the biggest weaknesses in the sport.

Reply #195166 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

skinny, i am an open apologist for BA and State Bodies generally on these boards....without slagging....and perhaps based on some KP type indicators, tell us what the BA employees do "crap" right now.
So what I mean is, provide a list of what YOU KNOW that the BA staff are meant to be doing, and assess their performance against that list.

Reply #195167 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Already this move has got BA headlines - it was a top five sports article on News.com.au yesterday evening and I've spotted it on Adelaide Now and The Age since.

Reply #195171 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

anonymous - I do agree that there needs to be some big changes, and Gaze on his own isn't going to be the messiah or anything. Just sayin, more exposure at least is a small step in the right direction!

Reply #195181 | Report this post

steve hull  
Years ago

AUSTRALIAN BASKETBALL

A BOY
A GIRL
A BALL
A DREAM

GREAT TO SEE GAZE OFFERING HIS SERVICES,THE FIRST POSITIVE NEWS TO COME ALONG IN YEARS !
PLEASE PUT CHUCK OUT TO PASTURE QUICKLY.
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP,BUT ITS TIME AUSTRALIA BASKETBALL STOOD UP ON ITS OWN FEET AND HAD A CRACK !
AUSTRALIA'S PAST PLAYERS NEED TO BE CALLED TO ARMS !
THE AMERICAN INFLUENCE & IDEAS HAS RUN ITS RACE AND THE RUN AND STUN RAZZUMATAZZ THING WORKED FOR A BIT.
ITS TIME TO TAKE OUR AUSTRALIAN LEAGUE TO THE AUSTRALIAN PUBLIC.THE PRODUCT IS GOOD,NEED MORE QUALITY 5'S IN THE LEAGUE AND TOUGHER DEFENCE.

Reply #195215 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

steve, have you just unleashed the fury of CAPS lock?

Reply #195221 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

don't you love blokes that just type without thinking?

So Drew joining the BA Board is the first positive news to come out in years...

hence....all of you who thought...

Nathan Jawai getting drafted was positive...are wrong
Lauren being MVP and BDP of last years WNBA was positive are ...wrong
The Opals winning the world champs was positive ...are wrong

etc etc etc

Reply #195223 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:13 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754