jimmy de bas
Years ago

Mottram a complete and utter amateur

Anybody catch Criag Mottram's 5000m heat last night? More importantly, did anybody watch his post race interview? I could not believe what I was hearing from a so called 'professional' athlete.

First of all, he was running in the final heat of the 5000m. The rules are that the top 4 qualify from each heat and then the 3 closest losers get a gig. So Mottram running in the last heat, you'd expect him to know what time he needs to run if he happened to finish 5th and needs a quick time. He said he hadn't checked the required time and simply that he favoured himself to finish in the top 4 and didn't need to worry about the time.

Secondly, he didn't know the name of the Qatar athlete who made a break about 800m from home.

Anybody else find this ridiculously unprofessional?

Surely if you were at the Olympics, you would do everything in your power to give yourself the best chance of winning. You'd study the field, you'd know what times you need to run... you would be prepared for anything. He said he was confident of finishing top 4... well good on you. Doesn't mean you can't prepare for the worst and know what time you need to run... just in case you choke. Would it have really been too much trouble to just check the times?

Confidence is one thing, being ignorant and an amateur is another.

Topic #17028 | Report this topic

skip  
Years ago

I dont tend to take much notice of the after race interviews. The athletes are tired and generally quite emotional and the last thing they want is a mike shoved in their face.

Reply #200801 | Report this post

Danger Mouse  
Years ago

Yeah dodgy strategy, backing yourself to outsprint the pack with some quality names in it. and especially after admitting that he could have pushed the pace earlier himself and got the required time to qualify....why would you take such a risk at the Olympics!?.... but as he said, if he made the final he wouldn't have made an impact anyway with that form.

Reply #200808 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

"Complete and utter amateur" is really unfair based on, as Skip said, a post-race interview. Like the rest of the heat, Mottram ran his best effort on the night and not everyone can make it through.

My favourite part of that race was the guy from Somalia who was well behind the rest of the group. Still battled through and even raised his hands to celebrate finishing despite coming in about 15 seconds behind anyone else. Ah, the spirit of the Games!

(One of my pet hates is post-race interviews - especially with swimmers - I will leave the room rather than listen to them.)

Reply #200812 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

I would have said rather that he copped it pretty gracefully. Didn't resort to sports cliches, just basically said he wasn't good enough on the day. I agree also, post-race interviews are bollocks, and should perish in hades.

The Somalian guy was priceless! Good on him.

Reply #200816 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Not all sports are the same dude- if i'm fighting someone in a boxing match, you bet i'm scouting his technique. Running, well its a bit like swimming, you leave it all out on the track and hope your best is good enough, the other competitors will take care of themselves.

Reply #200821 | Report this post

RMM  
Years ago

Sally McLellans interview was amazingly hillarious i think she may be a little retarted...

And Usain Bolt is an absolute legend!

Reply #200825 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not quite so - there are tactics involved (same with cycling) and it's fair to say he could've benefited from more knowledge of his competition. But "complete and utter amateur" for a guy who went out and ran 5,000m against some of the best in the world is very unfair.

The commentator who appeared to have knowledge of running had noted during the race that there were opportunities where Mottram really should've tried to push away and create a bit of a gap before it got down to a sprint.

Reply #200826 | Report this post

???  
Years ago

Not quite true Quagmire. The pace of this race was slow. Mottram would have known this and it should have been a factor in how he ran the race in case he didn't finish top 4. Having an each way bet i.e finishing top 4 AND if not, running a qualifying time to me would have been smarter. I'm sure it was a time he could have run if allowed to set his own pace!

Reply #200828 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

Agree about McLennans interview ... would love to see it again ...

Reply #200851 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

RMM how ironic that you misspelled retarded

Reply #200852 | Report this post

jimmy de bas  
Years ago

All fair points. But not even knowing what time you have to run is unforgivable in my books. He was in the final heat! You don't get a better opportunity than that. Ah well, his waste of an Olympics, not mine.

Reply #200856 | Report this post

Eric the Eel  
Years ago

Look at some of the other Sally McLellan interviews - she is certainly NOT retarded (or retarted!) - and how extremely unfair of you to say she is. She was definitely on a post-race high though. That interview is one of the highlights of the Games.

I agree about Craig Mottram. Given he was in the last race so he knew exactly what time he needed to qualify. In the interview he said he knew it was a slow race. What bad preparation to not even know the time.

And Isaac, how right you are about the Somalian runner!

Reply #200862 | Report this post

bolks  
Years ago

The person who interviewed Sally McLellan straight after her race said to her "You must have ice running through your veins at the moment."

By the way that interview went, i wouldn't be surprized if that wasn't the only thing flowing through her viens.

Reply #200917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even more ironic that you mispelled "misspelled". Talk about retarted.

Reply #200922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Personally, I loved the McLellan interview just for the fact that she was so raw. The swimmers are all so media savvy and have one eye on the microphone, the other on their endorsement deals whenever interviewed, which is totally fine, but McLellan was just pure, unfettered emotion. When she asked the interviewer, whose name escapes me, "Did you see me?" I completely lost it!

Reply #200923 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

200922 quite clearly you are the retard

Reply #200936 | Report this post

Not motts mum.  
Years ago

So Motts didnt know "Oogle Baloogal" from Qatar.

It would not be so important to know the guys name, it would only be important to know that the guy was in the race and what country he came from.

I would be suprised if the guy from Qatar could name Mottram by any other name than "that guy from Australia"

The rest of his strategy is up for debate.

One train of thought would be that he didnt concern himself with other peoples times, he only concerned himself with what he was going to do, not worrying about things he couldnt change

Reply #200990 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

He couldn't change other people's qualifying times but he might've been able to change his own to get below the other's times if he had known what they were!

I think he should've known the time to beat if he didn't finish top four. His reasoning of "If I couldn't finish top 4 in my heat then I wouldn't have been any good in the final" (or similar) doesn't wash with me. The final is a different race. It could be run at a different pace, people may be tired, the weather may be different and who knows Ooga Booga from Qatar might have blown his load in the heats.

Reply #200993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

to answer the title - if he doesn't get paid - then YES he is a complete amateur

Reply #201012 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:46 pm, Wed 8 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754