skip
Years ago

36ers v Spirit 7:00pm Tonight

I find it hard to see anyway Adelaide could drop this one. Their only downfall could be that they will go into this one more than expecting to get the win and get caught by surprise.
BUT, I cant see Ninnis letting that happen though. Also, with it being early in the season and players still wanting to prove they are worthy of more minutes, I cant see the players being off guard either.

Im going Adelaide by 27 points with Bruce to top score again with 28.

Crowd - 4336

Topic #17450 | Report this topic

Mutley  
Years ago

I think you have the margin about right, but Ballinger will be the high man. Sydney will scrap in the first half, and get blown out in the second.

I presume Kersten will suit in Winitana's place if his ankle doesn't pull up?

Reply #205214 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Agree with Skip - should be a big win to the Sixers. Get control early, then rest some stars. Would like to the Burd-man get some more court time, but then we all do. Schensh was unguardable and hopefully has practiced the finish during the week - don't be suprised if he gets 20.

See you all there in the kiosk lineup at half time. If you are in front of me and buy the last cornetto this week - watch out.

Reply #205217 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

Yeah certainly if the game is close, it is hard to image any 36er outscoring Adam Ballinger.

With Winitana out, i would image all forwards would share more minutes but Hill would also be expected to step up. As Kersten can only really play point, I would not image he would replace Paora in the 10.

Knight and Low are the players i will be keen to see. Knight is a monster who is effective on the offensive glass and has with a mid range jump shot. I could not find out anything about Low on the NBL web site {why did i even bother ?} but from memory i think he is a big guard who was a "Husky" from Washington State, but i could be wrong.

Reply #205218 | Report this post

Flinders 31  
Years ago

Anyone know what and when pregame is for tonight?

Reply #205221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did anyone notice the ATM that's in the building now?

Finally!!

Reply #205225 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Cabra vs Concordia is the pre-game which I guess will start at 5?

Where is the ATM? I noticed there is a new beer bar as you enter the stadium to the right.

Reply #205226 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

the ATM is right next to the pokie room

Reply #205227 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

pre game starts at 5:30,

Reply #205228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

go cabra

Reply #205229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ATM is next to the Woodville Canteen, close to the Merchandise Shop.

On the left when you first walk into the stadium.

Reply #205230 | Report this post

RG  
Years ago

The portable ATM is being trialled by Weslo who I believe are still in serious discussions/negotiations with Mal Hemmerling re the Dome ownership. It was extremely successful last Friday and will probably stay all season.

Reply #205234 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Doesn't Eddie own the dome?

Reply #205235 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Mal is helping Eddie to sell it.

Reply #205238 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

weslo/venutix are looking at it yes.

36ers by 22 , Balinger 20/10 Bruce 24/10 ast tyndale 20/10

crowd 4980

Reply #205240 | Report this post

Milklicker  
Years ago

Anyone know if there is any decent food at the dome this year - I didn't really look on Friday.

Also, is tip-off at exactly 7.00pm? Friday's game didn't start until 7.10pm ... unless my watch is fast.

Reply #205242 | Report this post

woody venkat  
Years ago

derrick low is an un dersized sg hes only 6 2 and is born in hawai and represented washington state.

We suck really i love my razotbacks have for the best part of a decade but this is an al time low for the franchise

gruber is exactly that

why we didnt resign troy devries is beyond me

Reply #205245 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I hope you are right about the crowd Thomo but 3 things are going against us.

1 - Its Wednesday
2 - The Adelaide United Champions League Quarter Final at Hindmarsh
3 - The Sydney Spirit

I thought I might be pushing it with 4336.

Reply #205246 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

With no Smith or Rampton, and Martin said to be only 75% healthy, can't see where the Spirit can find anything to pull this one out of the bag. A bit disappointing we are not facing a healthy side really. Oh well, a chance for the team to get some game time under the belt with what is a very understrength opposition.

Reply #205247 | Report this post

KC- gone  
Years ago

Loose tonight and questions will be asked

Reply #205248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crowd tip is 3200

For all the reasons Skip suggested

Reply #205254 | Report this post

Black Dracula  
Years ago

Why can't anyone spell lose anymore?

In any case...I think 4000 max tonight being Wednesday, I predict Bruce will tear them apart, Schenscher should be unmatched in the paint and could go for 20 like someone's already mentioned. I'm thinking Hill will get a few more minutes in place of Winitana...

Reply #205255 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Not a lot to bet on in this game.

Ive got some dosh on

Both Adelaide & Sydney to be leading at at least one of the 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 & full time breaks each @ $2.85

Sydney to score 10 points first @ $3.50

There is nothing worthwhile that I can find that is Adelaide orientated.

Reply #205260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kersten has to replace Winitana regardless of position as Kersten is on contract.

Reply #205261 | Report this post

RG  
Years ago

Spelling?? Not just loose vs lose - what about definately vs definitely, there vs their (or even they're), "could of" vs "could have", etc, etc, etc.
OK - this is a basketball forum not an English class but guys - please proof-read before posting!!

Re "food at the Dome" (using the term "food" loosely) - unfortunately, it seems to be much the same as last year (probably the same stock!).

What's happening with the sound system? The speakers seem to have been changed but the sound is no clearer.

Reply #205262 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

+1 on the food comment. It sucks just as hard this year. Crappy nachos, crappy baked potatoes or crappy hot dogs are the highlights.

No disrespect to the canteen staff - they're usually very helpful and polite, at least the one I go to (south-eastern corner).

Reply #205263 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

forgot about adelaide united, yeah ill re asses my crowd prediction to 4400

Reply #205264 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

ABC has Winitana confirmed as out: link.

I've been trying to think of a 'Regaining Winitana high Paoraity' type pun headline but have been unsuccessful thus far.

Reply #205271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apparently the new sound system is being installed by ?Harvey Norman and the people in Adelaide installing it don't have a clue what they are doing. It might get fixed properly during the month long break.

Reply #205274 | Report this post

SKUX101  
Years ago

Anyone think that Spirit coach Rob Beverdige is a being a bit harsh on his players. Sure they are under performing,but at the end of the day he assembled the roster, and a pretty poor one at that. Shouldn't he take some of the blame for the Spirit's losses. They have so many young guys-Khazzou,Damian Martyn,and even D-Low while being such a college standout is still only like 22 or something.
I think it's time Beveridge accepted a certain degree of responsibility. His roster is weak period.

Reply #205279 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Was mentioned on here that they only finished installing it at 5pm before the last game. So hopefully there has been some testing and sound checks since than and tonight and they have things ironed out. Will be a bit of a learning curve one would imagine tweaking it when there is a decent crowd in side.

Reply #205286 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Sixers 6-0 than not long after Spirit 11-2 run... qtr time Sixers 13-27 OUCH!

Reply #205291 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Wow, Spirit on a 14-0 run. That's a bit disconcerting. At least Skip got some cash on the Spirit scoring 10 first.

Reply #205292 | Report this post

borat  
Years ago

Scenscher is a terrible offensive player.

Reply #205293 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

haha how can one team only have 3 scorers that is pathetic without those 3 you would be crap as bruce ballinger and tyndale (who looks like maybe a hodge triple double?)

Reply #205294 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Does anyone know of a site for streaming or listening apart from nbl.com?

Reply #205295 | Report this post

borat  
Years ago

http://www.abc.net.au/adelaide/radio/player.htm?winstream=http://abc.net.au/adelaide/onair/891stream.asx&ramstream=http://abc.net.au/adelaide/onair/891stream.ram

Reply #205296 | Report this post

borat  
Years ago

we're lucky to be only down 8 at half time.

Reply #205297 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Yep, only down by 8 is alright, still confident of winning this one. Can't see Maher and Holmes going scoreless on a combined 0/10 in the second half. Looks like Tyndale could be on track for a triple double, he seems to be a great pick up, ditto for Bruce. Still though, 41 in a half is pretty average fora team with the firepower we've got, looking forward to a 2nd half turn around.

Reply #205299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crowd is 4010

Reply #205300 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Running away with it now.

Julius who? Tyndale is the new big dog in town.

Reply #205301 | Report this post

Moose  
Years ago

Sixers 99 - 89 down by 9 at the 1/2.
Tyndale 30 Ballinger 21 Bruce 20
Schenscher 14 Brett 4

Reply #205302 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Terrible first half. Cooper came on for Schenscher and that improved things. But they all improved as the game went on, especially Tyndale.
The court announcer was a bit hard to hear but said, towards the end of the game that Julius Hodge has been signed.. presume that's New Jersey Nets..
Sixers dancers are pretty good.

Reply #205303 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

We were up 6-0 after less than 60 seconds and I thought it was going to be a blowout, but then we went over 6 minutes without scoring and really looked ordinary. Maher's shooting tonight was an abortion. It was the sort of game he has once every three or four years, and was painful to watch. But, given the champion that he is he will bounce back on Saturday.

Aaron Bruce is a star, that's all I have to say about him. Ballinger was solid again (he must have blocked about five shots), and I thought it was actually Holmes that made a difference in the second half. Tyndale is really hard to stop when he gets a full head of steam going, and is a FANTASTIC rebounder for his size. He hit a big three in the third quarter, which I think will be great for him as he doesn't seem to have much confidence in his jumpshot.

Schenscher was an embarrassment in his first stint on the court, but was pretty effective thereafter. He is EXTREMELY limited defensively though, and was shown up by the more fleet of foot Khazzouh and Knight. Cooper's defence in the second was good, but he gave nothing on offence. Davidson was really effective despite taking only one shot, and it was good to see Ryan Kersten get a run at the end. Ninnis was trying to get Burdon and Hoban in when time ran out, which I thought was a positive statement, especially seeing as I know what their chances would have been in the dying seconds of a 10-12 point game over the last decade. I also thought we missed Winitana's energy, and given the way he was limping around the sideline I can't see him being ready for the return clash on Saturday.

For Sydney, they fought hard, but to me, were never in any real danger of winning. I said to Squid at halftime that I thought we'd win by 20, but they pushed us pretty hard. Khazzouh has got some skills, as does Knight. Liam Rush always plays well against Adelaide, and Low was a two sided story, great in the first half, crap in the second.

After being so critical of the umpires on Saturday I'd have to say that I thought they were pretty good tonight, as is usually the case when Mildenhall comes to town.

2-0 in the Ninnis era, and while not as impressive as the other night, some good signs coming back from 14 down.

Reply #205304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tyndale is a funny one....Excellent rebounder, good defender, good passer and just finds ways to score, although he's not a pure scorer. Damn he is long though. Looks to have a bit of passion and loves to push the ball up the floor.

Aaron Bruce is elite. Backs himself in and will destroy teams this year....excellent court vision.

Ballinger is just pure class.....MVP calibre and does it all....his shot blocking a highlight tonight.

I will give Luke the benefit of the doubt as he has just started playing after an 18 month layoff. I'd look forward to seeing him when he's fit and reserve judgement till then. Regardless, his size still makes a difference.

We are still a work in progress, but extremely talented. In 2 months I expect us to be a well oiled machine...

Reply #205305 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Both my bets came through! Turned $40 into Almost $130!

Reply #205308 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Tyndale an early contendor for POTW? 30, 15 and 4 with a couple of steals for good measure, those are Davis circa 1987 type numbers.

Reply #205309 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"Maher's shooting tonight was an abortion" lol that's funny whether u meant it or not.

Anyway I think Brucie showed that his first game was not just an abortion.

Tyndale is a star!!! Plays very much like Hodge but is a better shooter, better and more versatile defender and probably a better rebounder. It was great to see him play the point for a bit there too. Disappointed that he layed it up all by himself on a fast break but we can't have it all lol.
Finished with 30,15,4 for those who havent seen yet.

Ballinger was a monster. 5 blocks. Makes me wish they were still worth 4pts in dreamteam :(

Fantastic that we could win like that with Maher and Davidson both extremely quiet. Especially considering the Pigs played at their best.

Refs and Dancers were both great. As were Cabra in the curtain raiser who won by about 15 in Janno Warbout's last game.

Poor crowd. -far better entertainment than soccer.

Sound system was far better I thought.

Food was terrible. -Defs gettin Noodle Box on the way there next time ;)

Getting 6 free Iced Coffees was great too lol. Cheers Pura Milk!

Can't wait a month for the next home game but I guess I'll have to.

Reply #205312 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

tyndale played great but i too was pissed when he didnt throw one down on the break. let the white guys do the lay ups!!!!

Reply #205316 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

hard game to like, but was good that we got it back for the win. That was the first time i have seen brett scoreless for that long, as someone said above i think holmes was the one that turned the game around, he was huge on the boards. Tyndale is like hodge in his allround skills, and it seems that it has worked out for everyone with us getting a very capable player and hodge getting that contract that he wanted and worked so hard for.

The biggest shame is that we dont have a game for a month which is pretty bad but hopefully they get some road form and hold ouar own.

Reply #205319 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Similarly to the game against the Crocs its evident that the team will take some time to gel. Things like rotations, sets, minutes are going to improve.

Things that impressed me tonight was Holmes rebounding and him not forcing his shot so much, looked more comfortable and confidence grew.. I like how Tyndale can get up for rebounds so quick, for only his second game he's looking the goods. Bruce is the real deal, he is so fluid, I still think he has a shot at the NBA. Ballinger is so good at both ends of the floor, still think he is under rated by many. Few people have been questioning Schenschers game a bit.. its been a while since we saw a center who plays a bit more traditionally... still got 14/7 in less than 20 minutes. Sure he got beaten a few times tonight but Khazzouh played really well. If we can get away with a win when we clearly haven't played our best things are on the up.

Side note, great to see United get through to the ACL semi's :)

Reply #205321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would love it if Tyndale was 2 inches taller though. His length definitely helps him at least.

Reply #205323 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

top game tonight. Luke getting his confidence I think. Needs to be more aggressive plus get a hair cut.

Umpiring was good tonight (only a couple of dodgy calls) Much better than last week. Bald umpire missing and got the one with the dodgy pinky on one hand who seemed to get in better position to see exactly what happened. Filmer missed a very obvious arm rake on Brett while he was laying up. Nearly had his arms pulled from the sockets, but no call. Made uo for a couple of travels we made.

Sydney quite a physical side though with lots of niggling off the ball.

Catering much better this week. Actually got my cornetto at half time. Was expecting to have to mug an 8 yo kid to get one if they ran out.

Reply #205324 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Just had a look at the box score. Suprised with the OR's (26 v 18) We didn't seem to want the ball once it was up. Thought is would have been more like (10 v 30)

TO's were the other area. (12 vs 15) We seemed to be always trying to do too much with the rock and making bad passes. Thought it was more like 25 TOs, but obviously wrong.

Ballinger's blocks were some of the gnarliest pounds seen. I think he put a dent in the floor. Eddie's sending him a bill for repairs. Interesting that Luke down as no blocks.

Scotty seems to be able to change the game plan to suit too. He has the best coaching record in the league! 100% win rate.

Reply #205327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Too bad about the incredible stupid scheduling with the ACL on at Hindmarsh. No matter what anyone thinks of Soccer we were very lucky to get 4,000 there.

I was forced to make a choice, and chose to go the 36ers, but to be honest regret missing out on our qualification at Hindmarsh.

Reply #205342 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Don't be too quick to doubt the impact of luke on the floor. He boxes out a huge space and create room for Tyndale and Holmes to board and run. Very valuable.

And as has been mentioned before, he will be very handy when we beat Melb in the semi's...

Reply #205343 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

I was glad Tyndale didn't try and dunk it on that fast break, because it was clearly going to be too much of a stretch for him. *insert name of one of Adelaide's previous petulant me-first imports* would have gone for the crowd-pleasing jam and electrocuted himself. I'll take the two points every time!

Reply #205346 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Hey, and I really liked that high-post quick passing stuff to Schenscher in the low-post for the lay-up stuff, in the 4th quarter. Nicely drawn-up play, Scotty!

Reply #205347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Too bad about the incredible stupid scheduling with the ACL on at Hindmarsh."

Stupid scheduling by who? From memory the 36ers schedule was out before the Asian League schedule I don't understand how you can blame the NBL or 36ers for this one.

Just noticed the Asian League Semi in Adelaide has been scheduled for Wednesday October 8, same night as a Netball International between Australia and England.

I guess you're going to complain about how stupid Netball are for scheduling the game on the same night as a soccer game as well?

Reply #205349 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

I believe it was not a great win by us and shows we have a lot of work to do as at times everyone knew what all were doing other times it looked like previous years espec. our defence work in 1st half.
I thought Scottys coaching was good in a game we didnt play well most of night right time outs changing tactics and subbing anybody that was out of sorts at any time. I thought Holmes introduction and output was huge last night . He was the first to start grabbing some rebounds . Balls is a great allround player and I would not swap him for any other import in our league. Bruce what a coup pity he wont stay around to be our future Brett.
Tyndale is great and hope he has a good jump and 3 point shot hidden as other teams close up his current game. How many charging fouls is he going to get in away matches. Schenscher is probably going to be ok but hell he gets pushed out of rebound position too easy. Re the man Brett he wasnt needed last night wait till we need him against NZ etc next few weeks.
I am afraid the new court announcer is sub standard to previous in adding to game

Reply #205352 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

I actually think Adam could have played better. It took a little while before his shot was super smooth, and he missed one or two passes from Tyndale and Bruce. Ok Bruce's was a little wild, but i have high expectations of the Balls man.

Facinated by the defensive combination work by Luke and Jacob. Luke just steps out and challenges as soon as anyone comes near the key and Jacob can tell how they are going to react and just goes to where the shot miss is going and is there waiting for it. Those two guys work well together.

Reply #205355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I knew someone would put up the weak arguement. Look at the ACL draw and you could tell if Adelaide got thru the game would be played last night as the dates are already set. How hard is it to move the game for one of the biggest sporting events in the history of this state? The draw has already been changed multiple times this season.

We moved away from Winter where we had the glory years due to AFL clashes, but summer has way more events/sports to compete against, and basketball admins have to recognise this.

Reply #205381 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

If the soccer wasnt on last night, homw many more people do you think would have been at the Dome? Less than a few hundred I would think.

Being Wednesday and playing The Spirit would have had more impact IMO.

Reply #205382 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Agree 100% Skip. Lets see the crowd when the big boys come to town on a Sat night with some marketing.
we will need to show in month travelling going to be competitive against Tigers etc

Reply #205391 | Report this post

bloodynora  
Years ago

The crowd would've been larger if they didn't have reserve games on, although I think a couple of the refs must've prioritised to go to the 36ers in place of doing their scheduled games???

Reply #205396 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:38 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754