Bobby Tables
Years ago

Clippers/Hornets agree on deal for Chris Paul

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-wojnarowski_chris_paul_clippers_121411

Hornets get Eric Gordon, Chris Kaman, Al-Farouq Aminu and the Timberwolves unprotected first-round pick.

Clips get CP3 and some future second rounders.

Was the price too high? Paul is excellent, an all star, but trading a young scorer, a big guy and a first round pick...they had the makings of a solid team, will Paul be able to fit in with the group?

Topic #27077 | Report this topic

Interested  
Years ago

Im sure the NBA stepped in after the clippers declined and have forced the clippers to accept the trade.

The NBA does what they want when they want regardless of the rules or processes in place.

Reply #343042 | Report this post

Hydra  
Years ago

Hope he agreed to re-sign at the end of a season or it is 66 games rental for all that.

Knowing the clips. He will be a Knick come the following season.

Reply #343043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBA are like the AFL they change or bend the rules when it suits!!

If the cliipers make a couple of smart moves in 2012/2013 and keep CP3 they could be a contender on the west

Reply #343046 | Report this post

dud  
Years ago

CP3 and Griffen ---the new Stockton and Malone?

Except replace Stocktons assists with points.

Reply #343050 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

I think Paul agrred to take his option for next season, so Clips have him for at least 2 yrs.

Seems like a lot to pay for 1 player.

They now have 5 or 6 PGs and no SG!!!!
Billups or Mo Williams will have to play SG unless they trade for one.

T-Wolves pick may not be as good as everyone thinks, Adelman is good at improving crappy teams so they may finish 10-13 in the West.
So unless they "win" the lotto their pick could be around 8-11.

Reply #343051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the clippers are pretty good now. i dont think they will need to change to much having butler at the 3 billups will play the 2 and with griffen and jordan at centre and power forward what else do they need??

Reply #343056 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Potential power shift in LA? Are the Clippers finally going to emegre from the shadows?

Reply #343059 | Report this post

dud  
Years ago

Hard to compete with the fame and $ of the Lakers

Reply #343061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why are people having a go at the NBA "bending" the rules, do you not realise who currently owns the Hornets? the NBA, so they control the team as it will.

Reply #343062 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Some concerns about Paul's knee, but it's the Clippers - if they can get a top 10 player, let alone a PG to team with Griffin, you do it every day of the week.

Kaman is replaceable (pretty sure he was on big money), Eric Gordon is replaced by CP3. Chauncy plays back-up PG (best back up PG in the NBA!), they trade Mo Williams who I think is rubbish anyway, try to get a shooting guard with some perimeter D capability who can hit the 3. Rip Hamilton would have been good!

Maybe Jamal Crawford?

Reply #343063 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Ridiculous that this was accepted when the Hornets were getting a lot more in return from the other Lakers deal IMO...

No team with Mo Williams can win in the postseason though. He has to go straight up. They need to make some serious moves to even up this roster. Hopefully they do, but knowing the Clippers, they won't...

Reply #343064 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I just think it stinks that the Hornets were getting more quality players in the other deal, and the league only approved this because Dan Gilbert cant cry about a playoff team getting a star player (even if they were giving up the best 4 and best sixth man in the league - shows how clueless his basketball mind is).

Such a whinger who needs to shut up and put a good team on the floor and quit meddling in the affairs of other franchises.

Reply #343065 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

The NBA is concerned about selling the NOH, so wanted a young star player.
Martin, Scola and Odom are not that type of player.
Gordon is, plus they get Minnesota's pick (potential top 5 2012)

If I was running the team I would have wanted to get rid of Okafor's terrible contract in any Paul trade.

Reply #343068 | Report this post

lickity split  
Years ago

Or they could amnesty Mo Williams to free up extra cash for the next free agency (Hope they do as I also hate Mo as a player!).

Reply #343069 | Report this post

JOaRiDrAN  
Years ago

I bet stern doesn't block this one. Conspiracy rotting the Lakers. Broken trade forces Odem out, Gasol unsure about playing in LA and we get no one. Rort

Reply #343075 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Wow... that's painful. Granted they will more than likely get the scoring they need out of Paul that Gordon was putting out, but Kaman will be a hit in my opinion.

I know that this means that DeAndre Jordan will be starting for them now, but Kaman appears to have been undervalued in this trade.

Paul has the same injury-prone issue that Gordon had. I'd suggest ditching Mo Williams and offering some phat cash to Jamal Crawford to bring him over as their starting 2-man.

Reply #343077 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

JOaRiDrAN - not sure you can complain after the whole Pau Gasol- for - junk trade a few years back.

Reply #343084 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

Isn't Gordan an unrestricted free agent after this season??? What a loss for the Hornets if he doesn't sign an extension before then.

Reply #343099 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

thedoctor, that Pau trade doesn't look so bad now Marc just re-upped with the Grizz.

Reply #343104 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Nutwork, plenty of trades look good years later. At the time, it was 'Draft Rights to Marc Gasol' + junk for the Grizzlies' franchise player.

Regardless of Marc Gasol's ability now, that trade is probably the most lopsided in recent NBA history and delivered two championships and a finals appearance to the Lakers

Reply #343107 | Report this post

JOaRiDrAN  
Years ago

Ok Doc fair point the Lakers stole Gasol and won 2 titles but the GM of the Grizzlies thought it was fair so that's good enough for me.
I'm pissed cause the Odom deal was done, all 3 teams agreed until stern stepped in and stopped it which threw a spanner in the Lakers locker room. Odom got the shits (understandably) and demanded a trade causing his stock to drop and the Lakers got sweet FA for him.
Gasol is the next pissed of Laker to be traded for less than he is worth and all of this because the leagues owners cried that the Lakers will land cp3. It is what it is I just think it's hypocrisy at his finest. My money is still on Dwight Howard getting traded to LA maybe around the Allstar Weekend.

Reply #343118 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

The GM of the Grizzlies at the time the Pau Gasol trade was made was Mr Laker, Jerry West. The deal, talent-for-talent at the time was so lopsided towards the Lakers it wasn't funny.

As the NBA owns the Hornets, Stern has every right to make a decision based on the Hornets. Remember he also has to try and find a new owner for the Hornets and players like Odom etc wouldn't appeal to many potential owners thinking of buying the franchise and trying to rebuild it.

It looks like the Hornets will also be missing David West. Losing two all-stars in a few weeks hurts the potential to sell the team, along with putting butts in seats to raise revenue and interest new owners. The only thing appealing to a new owner is cheap, young guns and draft picks, something the Clippers gave up.

The Lakers deal wasn't better than the one that sent CP3 to the Clippers. The Clippers deal offered a a potential young all-star in Gordon, a large expiring contract in Kaman, potential 2012 lottery pick (unprotected T'Pups pick) and a potential young stud on a rookie contract. Nothing in the Lakers/Rockets/Hornets deals came close.

Reply #343122 | Report this post

Simon  
Years ago

TR is exactly right, While the Hornets would have gotten more talent right now with lakers/rockets trade, it wasn't Rebuilding material.

EG and Aminu are a great place to start a new team, let alone a 1st rounder from the wolves and their own 1st rounder (likely to be lottery) in whats set to be the best draft since 2003.

This i think was the best outcome for the hornets in this situation, no-one wants to end up like Cleveland did, and have the star walk for nothing basically.

Reply #343148 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

TR your right in your post about the Paul Gasol deal to the Lakers, it was a stinker that handed the Lakers 2 championships. However it was not Jerry West that made the move it was his replacement and current Grizzlies GM Chris Wallace that pulled the trigger.

West left the Memphis Grizzlies in July 2007, the Gasol trade was done in February 2008.

Reply #343993 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:02 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754