Never or ever
Years ago

Coaching predictament

Sixers are sadly hell it hurts just going bad to worst. always the coaches fault but unless fans / members see so light something that says we are moving forward its going to a very long off season.which loks like it has started because i not sure i want to watch them play that poorly again with nil points to show.
coach needs to make some decisions
play daly play creek play johnson play warbout - give young guns some court time to show us theirs a future.
helliwell hellipoor

Topic #27368 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

That was almost harder to read and understand than the game was to watch!

Reply #347495 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

I agree.

We need to get off the coach's case and look at the cattle on the court.

Play Daly for sure for the remainder of the year

Tell Creek to get aggressive and take the game on.

Teach DJ to play D

Clark is the best out there that the SOS group can afford. They cannot to pay them out and pay a new coaching team.

The crowds are up on last year, everyone is talking about the team

Give him the 3 years he asked for and then start to look if things don't turn around

Reply #347497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Key points to consider. The coach is not going to get sacked because they can't afford it. Secondly, like it or not, the players are not the quality of the opponents they face. Thirdly, Adelaide is used to their sporting teams being below par across the board and only very old heads recall when Adelaide was a power in any sport save netball.
One thing you can bet on is that every time Adelaide sixes win it's called a resurgence and when they lose it's the coach. Be honest and ask a local joe blow the name of a sixers player and most wouldn't be able to, such is the lack of interest in these bums. As the fan base continue to age new fans will have to be attracted and just how is the sixty four k question.

Reply #347498 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

We can afford it as we didn't have to pay Ballinger since he didn't play 3 quarters of the season (Insurance would cover his salary). So that is about $150k we saved right there which is enough to payout Clarke's salary.

This is what I hope is the reason why we didn't get a replacement for Ballinger.

Reply #347500 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

would insurance cover ballinger considering it was the sixers medico's that miss diagnosed it and left it so long ?

Reply #347502 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

It was a new injury wasn't it? As in it was his other ankle I am pretty sure. Either way it was an injury during the season.

Reply #347503 | Report this post

Muzz buzz  
Years ago

King james you are a douche
No such things as insurance balls gets paid every cent regardless if he steps on court or not as too crosswell.

Reply #347506 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

im sure the club would have insured them, soccer players are insured as are other codes afl as well,
family member was injured on a AFL list and got his wage paid out by the insurer NOT the club

Reply #347507 | Report this post

very old  
Years ago

Muzz buzz

Unless the front office is very very stupid,it will have followed the same contract / insurance procedures that have been standard in the NBL for almost 20 years - if a player is insured , then their contract is g'teed by the insurer and the club has that money freed up to spend on their replacement

- of course someone whose intelligence and personality is such that they have only accompanied women who , like themselves, think a douche is a bad thing would probably not understand that.

Reply #347511 | Report this post

very old  
Years ago

Muzz buzz

sorry Muzz, just realised that you could be female yourself - which would explain the buzz around your Muzz !! - quick pass the aero-guard !

Reply #347513 | Report this post

Muzz buzz  
Years ago

Insurance is not part of the contract and has not been for a long time. Thank you good night

Reply #347514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Having been a long supporter of the Sixers, I found the end result of today's game hard to take. There is always light at the end of the tunnle but I think the sixers tunnel has a cap. That cap has been put on by coach Clarke.

The coach can teach the guys about the game but he can't manage the players in the game.

Bartlett brang great hustle to the 1st and early in th 2nd but then we didn't really see him until the last.

Ng is a shooter and that's it. When your down, bring him on for a few plays (designed for him) and get a few quick points.

DJ, Warren and Simpson are all down on there season averages over the last few games, do they not want to play for the coach anymore?

I guess I'm just devastated that the sixers I have grown up watching and supported over the last 15 years seem lost under the current leader. I just want answers as to why we can't win.

I'm sorry coach, but you have lost my support and therefore you and your two mates may need to look at a new club for employment.

Reply #347516 | Report this post

very old  
Years ago

Muzz Buzz

If the "contract" you are referring to is the contract between the club and the player - then you are absolutely right, there is NO insurance coverage within that. The Player MUST still be paid if their injuries are employment related.

However - The club CAN insure themselves AGAINST the player being injured. That is a totally separate contract between the club ( employer) and the insurance brokerage.

Is their any other information we need to impart - like - say Hmm - given your name what could be useful info for you ?? --- "only use ONE side of the toilet paper ?

Reply #347517 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

You missed the boat on this Muzz Buzz.... The club insures the contract on the player. The club still pays the contracted amount to the player, and then the insurance company pays the club for whatever the percentage agreed on between the club and insurance company.

Reply #347522 | Report this post

Muzz buzz  
Years ago

I will dull it down for the slow ones on here. There is no Nbl contract that is insured. The players don't have income protection and the teams don't take out the insurance due to excessive premium costs.

The players get paid by the club regardless of performance or injury.

Reply #347524 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Anon get lost with that attitude of giving Clarke his 3rd year!!!! No way in this lifetime or the next he gets to see out his contract! Get off the ganja my friend. SOS will lose alot of season ticket holders if he is around next season, me for one, and ive been there for better or worse for 15 years. But this is a different type of incompetence we are subject too each and every game.

Reply #347525 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

KingJames, mentioned in a reply to you a couple of weeks ago that his wage is not covered by insurance. You might not have seen it. Club not putting up the money to replace him, just Bartlett for Crosswell. Marty's hands are tied on that one, whatever you think of everything else about him.

Both captains gone leaves a very young group in front of a merciless crowd.

Still, you wouldn't be renewing those coaching contracts in a hurry.

Club has long needed to consider spending more or making a change or they'll lose valuable season ticket holders. Harder to get them back than keep them, I'd guess.

Reply #347526 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

The Coach gave up on the team and fans tonight.

Why was Diamond Simpson benched for so long?
He doesn't look injured and wasn't in foul trouble.

The technical hurt.

Our Coach is weak and a bad leader. We need changes and a new coach.

Reply #347538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Already lost a lot of season ticket holders Isaac as a result of the mistake in hiring him in the first place.

Don't think "merciless" is fair. Most of the fans calling for him to be sacked on your forum were at the game and witnessed his mistakes. Therefore those same fans are giving the 36ers a go. Me on the other hand didn't like what I saw of Clarke last year so my family didn't renew our season tickets after 20 years of continuous membership.

I wasn't at the game so can't comment on his coaching.

If he is still coaching next year dare I say it there won't be many "merciless" fans left, just the ones that ignore reality and would still believe drafting Bowie over Jordan was the right decision and "she'll be right".

The good news for Clarke/SOS will be that negativity will be kept to a minimum. What is that saying about "if a tree falls in the woods but no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound"...

I appreciate some of your mates made the decision to hire Clarke so you've got to be reserved but in hindsight it is clear that the decision to hire Clarke was an epic fail.

Reply #347540 | Report this post

tropical booz  
Years ago

Why not put Maher in as caretaker & see how he goes & if he wants it for next year? Nothing to lose from either party. He would re invigorate the Aussies (who can play) & play Simpson the mins he deserves. I reckon it would work! He'd either teach the import pg Warren how to play a bit or cut him.

Nothing could be worse than what u have now & he has time with no pressure to have a feel if he's up to it!

A high 5 & encouraging words from a former champ is what these guys need not the negativity of an unproven control freak who won't change his ways!!

Reply #347547 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Funny Gaze even commented a few games ago that theres no way the talent in this team should have a win loss record like they do, carfino thinks the same, Maher thinks the same.
Coach chose the players...who else's fault is it?

Reply #347552 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, I don't have to be reserved, I have just sensed that the club aren't making expensive decisions and figure I may as well try to provide a less brutal viewpoint. Said long ago that the real problem was not putting up more for Bevo over Ninnis. Clarke wouldn't have even been on the cards.

Over the course of this season and last and prior to that, I have suggested countless possible issues that could be causing poor results. Coaching has been part of that, player mix has been part of that, club culture, leadership, etc.

Reply #347556 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

The club's knee-jerk reaction to finishing bottom for the first time in its celebrated history was to sack Scott Ninnis, a coach who had twice built a team from the scraps left from previous seasons.

Admittedly in his first season he was provided with a reasonably good roster, who, had it stayed together, might have pushed deeper into the finals the following season. The club almost folding and a change of ownership saw an end to that hope. Nevertheless fans were demanding change and history would now suggest Ninnis was the sacrifical lamb.

With the benefit of hindsight perhaps the owners have decided to see out Clarke's contract as they may have regretted pulling the trigger on Ninnis before his contract had finished.

Reply #347570 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ninnis had to go. Lots of reasons for that.

Reply #347576 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Sorry Isaac, I missed your post about the Insurance. Are you saying just the sixers do that or to your knowledge no teams insure their players these days? I find it crazy that the Sixers wouldn't at least insure their marquee player, even if insurance was quarter his salary.

Sixers will probably have 500 less season ticket holders next season if Clarke is to continue which equals to about $150,000 less dollars. Sure there is no garantee that a new coach would stop that slide however, it might encourage those that aren't looking to renew to actually consider renewing, knowing that the club is going in a new direction.

Also I can't see why sponsors would continue to pour money into a team that was second to bottom last year and is more then likely going to be either bottom or second to bottom this season. If I was a sponsor I wouldn't want my name associated with a losing organisation. A new coach would breath new life into the product and is more enticing for a sponsor.

Sure management will lose a bit of money by having to pay out Clarke but they have a lot more to lose in the long run if they don't make changes.

Reply #347582 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think it's pretty common. I don't think Cairns have replaced Rychart or the Hawks Gruber. When you see Townsville make changes, it's been because they had a full season ahead of them or in the case of the Tigers, an owner that throws money at those sorts of problems. Adelaide did change 2-3 imports last year but that might've been during probationary periods, etc. Coach is a different case - as seen with Brendan up at the Blaze, you cop a full payout.

If the club changed coach now, I think season ticket holders would still wait to see who was signed next year (coach and roster) before they made their decision. Maybe the club will make their judgement at the end of this season. Would I make a change now? Probably, just to see who responds on court in playing for a position next year. Every coaching option is flawed though in one way or another so I don't know if the owners could be confident in any choice.

Reply #347585 | Report this post

MS  
Years ago

How much have crowd numbers dropped off over Clarke's tenure?

While I agree that he clearly seems out of his depth on game night as a coach the constant calls on here that management have to burn $ and sack him immediately or risk losing fans seems a bit of a stretch.

Maybe the club is on a bit more of a knife edge financially than the you 'forum experts' actually realise and a payout to sack Clarke could just be enough to have the SOS group say enough is enough and look to bail out?

Then what? NBL clubs that dont make money are really easy to offload, just ask Eddy Groves and Brisbane Bullets fans...

Reply #347588 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

I agree that we need to expose Daly and Creek to more minutes, however with more minutes is also more Points. The season is done, we want our bench players to get low points so we have more points to spend on the first 5.

Wow I feel like Richmond and Melbourne from the AFL.

Reply #347590 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Have crowds really dropped off though?

I think it is unlikely that the club is going to cut Clarke now, as it would mean paying out his contract, which they would have had to do with Ninnis too. But, I wonder what would happen if they announced that they would not be extending it past the end of next season? Would that prompt Clarke to go on his own now?

I want the team to be successful, with or without Marty Clarke. But based on his season and a half in charge thus far, there is just no conceivable way to view his tenure as anything but an abject failure on every possible metric.

Reply #347597 | Report this post

harry  
Years ago

their
there
they're

ffs its what we lean in grade 5!

and why doesnt someone just email the club and ask about insurance?
id ask one of the sos'ers i know down at the dome, but seeing as we wont really be going down there again this year by the looks, i guess you lot can keep arguing about insurance :)

Reply #347620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice to see you listened in Year 5 Harry. It's a pity you missed Year 2 where we covered capital letters in our 'leaning'

Reply #347626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is Robert Shaw all over again. You guys are funny.

Reply #347751 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Breach of Contract - coach fails to deliver. Surely that negates any payout for early termination. I won't get a payout in my job if I don't perform. Just directions to the door.

Reply #347953 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:17 am, Thu 9 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754