annonymous
Years ago

Is this game behaviour acceptable?

Opinions please.

Right handed player fouled upon and came out with sore left shoulder.

Remained on court and then a team mate intentionally steps up to take the free throws..

Opposition realises, complains and then the player steps up and makes the FT's. Obviously his right arm was okay then.

Is this acceptable behaviour and does the opposition have a right to ask for a penalty to be applied. It was an intentional choice to step up with another player.

Just interested what others think..

Topic #37064 | Report this topic

cat  
Years ago

ppfft...gamesmanship..worth a try if it helps..if not..move on

Reply #528302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't know what the rule says but I reckon tech them for basically attempting to cheat

Reply #528303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe the rule is if a player is not fit enough to take the free throws, he has to be subbed off - and the person subbed on takes the FTs.

Reply #528307 | Report this post

Well Read  
Years ago

^Correct

Reply #528310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Then what is stopping a poor FT shooter from just switching with the best FT shooter every time? If they can't shoot, then sub them off, make the sub shoot. This eliminates the advantage.

Reply #528314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know the NBA rule is that if a player is unable to take the free throws (because of injury), then the team can choose someone else to take them. The injured player, however, can't return to the game

Reply #528315 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Yeah, if they don't take the FT, they can't re-enter the game. I believe it is that way in most leagues.

Reply #528316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably the fact a poor FT shooter doesn't want to be yanked everytime he gets fouled...

Reply #528317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The poor FT shooter can only be yanked if they are injured

Reply #528319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the sub for the injured player has to take the shots
article 44 I believe correctable errors if the wrong player takes the shots, they are cancelled and not reawarded as it is deemed to be 'cheating'
ie, player a gets fouled but player b, knowingly takes the shots cause he/she is the better shooter.

Reply #528320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Justin Hamilton wouldn't pull that crap!

Reply #528324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey people just pump your brakes a little with all the Justin Hamilton stuff. You're talking about him like he is the next Cam Gliddon or something.

Reply #528326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has Justin Hamilton got the same vertical leap as Brett Rainbow?

Reply #528328 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Sounds like the other team made a mistake in complaining before the shots were taken by the wrong player.

Reply #528337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

my team pulls this all the time - if the ref is not smart enough to see it - then bonus us...

Reply #528343 | Report this post

Cherry Picker  
Years ago

I suppose it's probably okay for social grades for a little bit of "sportsmanship" but not really acceptable in div 2 or higher district. Just the same I suppose as claiming a foul when a teammate is in foul trouble and you were in the area.
But then I believe in the karma gods will come back to haunt you.

Reply #528367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At D2 level or higher, if the opposition coach isn't knowledgeable of the rules and has it stopped, he deserves what he gets. Most refs would know this rule at that level anyway I would expect.

Reply #528404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What other on court behaviour do we hate out there in hater land? I personally hate it when the opposition start yelling out 'how long' as soon as your team enters the key, refs need to stop that annoying behaviouir.

Reply #528407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hate it when the opposition scores more points than my team

Reply #528408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^408^ I thought they'd outlawed that sort of behaviour years ago

Reply #528416 | Report this post

Europa 32  
Years ago

Saw example at Arena last night. Player injured in leap/scrabble for ball with seconds left in match. Foul called. Injured player unable to take shots and subbed off. Another player went to take shot. Umpire pointed at player that was subbed on to court and said he had to take shots. Missed both. Shots had no importance. Perhaps umpire was reading this thread.

Reply #528420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FIBA Rule book

43.2.1. When a personal foul is called the free throw(s) shall be awarded as follows:

The player against whom the foul was committed shall attempt the free throw(s).

If there is a request for him to be substituted,he must attempt the free throw(s)before leaving the game.

If he must leave the game due to injury, having committed his 5 fouls or having been disqualified, his substitute shall attempt the free throw(s). If no substitute is available, any team-mate as designated by his coach shall attempt the free
throw(s).

Reply #528421 | Report this post

annonymous  
Years ago

europa 32 are you a west fan by any chance cause if you are you must be blind... the injured player did not come off the court in that game. he was standing near the player who went to take his foul shots for him. outright attempt to cheat, otherwise this must have happened in the centrals woodville game as well and if that is the case you are not lying.

Reply #528426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So, just leave it up to the officials, as usual they will always get the rules right in the end. Everyone should now be happy.

416, I hear chanting and players on court or on the bench calling out 'how long' or worse at times. Some times the refs will stop it, but other times they don't. Where is the rule on this? Just probably poor sportsmanship nothing more than that.

Reply #528427 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

like a certain local teams fans using a couple of vuvuzelas less than 5 metres away from the FT line every time you shoot a FT.. so annoying not to mention the abuse towards players... but that is acceptable as well..

Most call out how long after numerous camping in the keyway is let go by refs to try and call attention to it….even if it is not happening at that moment it is likely it has been happening all game…. The players start getting wary and moving out of the keyway so the crowd keeps at it as it gets in everyones head..

Reply #528437 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:41 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754