Luuuc
Years ago

WNBL Round 11

Thu 7:00pm - Bendigo vs Canberra
Thu 7:30pm - Dandenong vs Sydney

Fri 6:30pm - Perth vs Adelaide

Sat 3:00pm - Sydney vs Bendigo (Foxtel) (Bugger)
Sat 7:00pm - Townsville vs Dandenong

Sun 2:30pm - Melbourne vs Perth
Sun 3:00pm - Canberra vs Adelaide

Topic #42366 | Report this topic

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Wish the Melbourne/Perth game was the televised one - looks set to be one of the games of the season! Their match up earlier in the season went to OT and I wouldn't be surprised if this weekend did too, or if not very very close. If the Lynx can sweep their weekend I can't see them dropping another game for the rest of the regular season.

You'd have to think that if Adelaide can't sweep their weekend it just about knocks them out of reach for that 4th spot.

Reply #661597 | Report this post

Strata87  
Years ago

Bendigo surely has to have a chance at winning against Canberra. Jarry should still be out from last weeks head knock.

Thoughts?

Reply #661623 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

They're a chance, yeah, but I still like the Caps. Even without Jarry they still look a balanced team to me, and much deeper than the Spirit, who are highly reliant on their starters (and Laney in particular). More has to go right for Bendigo to win.
If you believe in the Spirit they're paying $3

Reply #661625 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

"Bendigo surely has to have a chance ...
Thoughts?"

http://www.hoops.com.au/forum/42368-betting-nbl-round-10-wnbl-round-11/#p661632

Reply #661633 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Rangers v Flames live stream tonight:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/live

Reply #661640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

shocker of a game for most part
Snell had 4 travels, and did little else BUT hit the timely threes...Taylor had 4 fouls before half time one being a tech, her last one came in less that 3 seconds on court, all were for throwing herself at players getting to the basket but thats how shes always plays. Sydney got the lucky win, Rangers as usual cant last the game,their main core players get too tired. Brondello there watching,not sure there was a lot to be impressed with sadly

Reply #661735 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Anyone know why Ezi didn't get any minutes last night against Bendigo? She was listed on their live stats bench but had 0 minutes next to her name.

Reply #661746 | Report this post

"Anyone know why Ezi didn't get any minutes last night against Bendigo?"

She wasn't at the stadium. I know it doesn't help much, but can only assume carrying an injury of some sort.

Reply #661753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She was on the wnbl podcast. It was her highschool graduation.

Reply #661764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Definitely looked like a scrappy game. Certainly can expect that from the Rangers given all their injuries, but worrying signs for Sydney if they expect to defend their title.

Reply #661767 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

High school grad! So there's more to life than sport? I'd do my own wedding ceromony via skype from the dressing sheds rather than miss a game.

Reply #661769 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Oh well then a graduation is a far more positive reason for missing the game than I was expecting!!

I agree, Sydney are worrying - not a great look when four of their starters get 5 TOs each. If they stay in that 4th spot I can't see them beating Perth, Townsville or Melbourne in the three game semi final series. Even more so when those games are 3 in 6 days or something ridiculous like that, the way they consistently play their starters for 35+ makes me question their ability to win if it went to 3.

Reply #661776 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Wish Perth had a stream, Lightning up by 4 at HT. Is the streak dead?

Williams on fire with 19 already but Whitcomb/Kunek awful from the field atm. Bishop and Seekamp combining really well for Adelaide.

Reply #661846 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Adelaide legit outplaying Perth, but Williams has been ridiculous.
It's like she decided that every quarter was the 4th.
Final scoreline really unfair

Reply #661847 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Yeah it obviously wasn't a 17pt game but in the blink of an eye Perth are doing that to teams (plus it was all about bench v bench late). Worrying signs too that Williams FG% dropped from 81% to 76% in that last quarter.

Reply #661851 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

What a game by Williams!! Adelaide would've been absolutely blown out of the water there if Whitcomb and Kunek had've shot at their usual clips.

Waves2Lynx, never doubt the streak! Being down by 4 at the half is nothing compared to what they've been down and come back from the past few weeks.

Reply #661853 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Does fatigue factor stop them Sunday? I'm no so sure it will.

Reply #661854 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

There's no way it doesn't slow us down, playing a tough game and then flying cross country to play a fresh team.
On the plus side there's plenty of potential improvement in Kunek & Whitcomb.
Burton playing 5 minutes in the 1st half tonight and then nothing after half time despite being very needed doesn't seem like a good sign for the state of her ankle.

Reply #661865 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Interestingly it was a similar scenario for the Rd3 OT game, with Perth on the one day travel break, albeit from a soft home win over Bendigo. Melbourne was the rested team but were minus O'Hea, Deuver & Tomlinson. Melbourne obviously well placed but I'm not sure I'll be rushing into any short odds out of respect for the unit Perth have become - reminds me a lot Flames last season, who kept pulling out results no matter what, including 4-0 when backed up next day - traveled interstate for three of those.

Reply #661869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one can't stop Perths offensive! No ones kept them under 80 pts in recent times other than the Rangers.

Reply #661882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And I'd say rangers are done and dusted, their worst year for many many years , if not ever.......combination of poor selection, bad timing fir injuries and some bad coaching decisions.........hope they put some new blood at the helm for next season, though not sure who is left of any caliber to coach at this level

Reply #661885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Williams 41pts in 31 minutes...Who was guarding her from Adelaide?

Reply #661887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

rangers will miss finals this year due to major injuries...not sure that's the coaches fault though. cavanagh has got them still playing hard which is a good reflection on the coach.

Reply #661890 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Holy shit Williams that was insane! In form WNBA starter running rings around a solid team here.

Reply #661892 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Haha Melb Fan doubting the streak, especially away from home, is why I'm on the bottom of the tipping :P

Reply #661893 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Ridiculous to call for the coach's head after her team has been smashed by serious injuries like this. Nothing wrong with Larissa's coaching IMO.

Williams 41pts in 31 minutes...Who was guarding her from Adelaide?

Plenty of players had a crack, but it doesn't matter who is guarding her when those pull-up jumpers are dropping like they did last night.

Reply #661895 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Had Sara Blicavs not been injured I'd have them right up there fighting with Adelaide and Sydney for that final playoffs spot. It's pretty rough to call for Larissa's head when she's been down her best player (IMO) for the better part of the season and then down an additional two starters over the past three games. Most if not all teams have been down a starter at least once this season, but I don't recall any team being down two or more at any one time apart from Dandenong.

In terms of Melbourne vs Perth, I just can't see how the Boomers are going to make up that 17 point gap between their average ppg - because I certainly can't see the Lynx scoring sub 70 points. I'd expect Liz to go for around 20-30 points, O'Hea 10-15, but who else will stand up? No other players have been reliable enough for them this season in terms of scoring. I think to beat Perth they really need more from Cole, Garrick and Smart off the bench. I'm tipping the streak to continue for at least another week given they play again in Perth next weekend as well.

Reply #661897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth has no hope in hell of guarding liz so they will swarm her hard. if that works there will be open looks everywhere for melb and I think this game will be decided by if they hit them or not

Reply #661898 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Bec Cole is a player flying under the radar at present, IMO. It seems to have taken a season and half to break out of her injury setback but I thought she's greatly impressed in last few games.

Reply #661901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Speaking on Coaches heads, I think Bendigo and Canberra have under performed and questions should be asked.

Reply #661902 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Certainly agree re coaches - Goriss certainly has a few worries IMO - their roster is a lot better than their record suggests which is disappointing. On Pritchard, I think it's more a recruitment issue - I feel Bendigo probably have more trouble recruiting those big marquee imports like Williams/Taylor because of their location and/or resources. Doesn't help that they lost Griffin either, but I can't really see a coaching change doing much to change their fortunes.

Cole definitely has the potential to step it up even further, I'd like to see her continue that form of late against a top 4 calibre side though - her better games have been against the likes of Bendigo and Canberra thus far. She's one IMO who could potentially benefit from a change of scenery, just about her whole career has been under Molloy so I think a different game style/input could potentially elevate her up to the cusp of Opals squads.

Reply #661908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bendigo recruited Rachel Banham who was drafted 4th overall and has Kobe Bryant as a big supporter.

Pretty big name/reputation although she hasn't played like an elite player this season.

Reply #661915 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I think health has been Cole's main problem, not location or coaching. I know it's cool here to blame Molloy for everything negative about the Boomers, but Bec was very much pushing herself into the Opals squad conversation (IMO at least) prior to doing her ACL a few years ago. Now she has worked herself back and is playing pretty effectively again, seemingly with confidence on the up, all from within the Boomers system. It's great to see.

Banham ... yeah, huge college reputation, but yet to bring that to a higher level. I thought she was a savvy recruit by Bendigo, because she's the type of player who could potentially do a Griffin and elevate her game here with the increased opportunity. It hasn't worked out to the best case scenario though. She's still a dangerous player to have on the floor, but not a go-to star. No shame in that. The WNBL is a strong league these days.

Reply #661918 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Banham has at times lived up to the hype around her, I definitely wouldn't call her recruitment a bad one by any stretch. I'm just talking about those WNBA and/or internationally established players - Williams, Pondexter, Palau, or Montgomery for example.

Reply #661920 | Report this post

pauline  
Years ago

perth without there starting centre beats lightning on the boards by 39-27. please explain?

Reply #661923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anderson has had three years at Rangers and yes the run of injuries isn't ideal, the team selection hasnt t helped either
If a team is totally reliant on just one player (as is being suggested as their down fall) as in Sarah Blicavs then that’s certainly not ever going to win them a championship
Rangers with Anderson at the helm lost four key players from their roster , a roster that had them make finals, Mallott did not return, Sherf moved to Canberra, Clydesdale and Novosel both went to Adelaide, you need to question why
Then they choose a 38yr old who has retired from the Spanish national team and wanted to "tick the box" to play in Aus and has been injured for a good part of the season
Then they round the ten off with two players who should really be development players to keep their budget low
A run of injuries certainly isn’t a coaches fault but the players have been run into the ground over a very short season, why because they lack depth in their bench
Sydney and Canberra are in a similar boat, so too Bendigo , so perhaps this new format of having to actually pay players a half decent amount has been more detrimental to the league due to budget restraints for many clubs
Adelaide Perth and Boomers obviously with no budget restraints have been able to capitalise on that.

Reply #661924 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

They say change is as good as a holiday, and I'd tend to agree with that sentiment for the most part. Not necessarily anything against Molloy, just sometimes that challenge of a change of club can be beneficial for players, not just in basketball but in other sporting codes as well. Just look at the changes in Steph Blicavs when she went from Townsville to Dandenong, O'Hea from Bulleen to Dandenong, Batkovic from Sydney to Townsville for example.

Injuries definitely haven't been a friend of Cole's but hopefully now she's got her confidence back those issues will be a thing of the past. She definitely has high potential and the work ethic to get there if she can stay healthy.

Reply #661925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Under Anderson the Rangers finished 3rd and then grand final runners up. This season who knows because injuries cost them any real chance. She can coach. Courtney Williams goes down early in the season and are the Lynx still in top spot? Some personal agendas in here I think.

Reply #661927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think Anderson's coaching record defends her from this season full of injuries. Losing 2 opals and an import will deplete any team. I think the current roster fully fit with maybe one or two upgrades will be challengers next season.

Reply #661930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Magbegor in the US doing her official visits? She was planning to do them in December.

Reply #661933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure why she would go the ncaa route. She'll get drafted to the wnba next year if she doesn't go.

WNBL is prob the best place for a prospect of her level.

Reply #661934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Best thing she could do is go to college.

She is too small to be an international centre. And it is the only position she is ok in. No range, not a passer so nothing to offer as a 4.

If she is the future of the Opals, we are no longer a top 10 team.

Reply #661955 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Is that our top 4 now? Not impossible that Adelaide can make it but you'd think they have to win every game from here on out. Canberra game effectively an elimination match.

Reply #661983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Too small to be a center..
194cm is small?

She only looks small against Cambage 203cm, Hamson 200cm and Hamblin 199cm.

Magbegor will get physically stronger in time.
Maybe not Tokyo, but certainly 2022<

Reply #661984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not seeing the love for Cole to be an Opal, I know she has had her fair share of injuries but I’m not convinced of her game. She’s a below average shooter & prone to turn overs under pressure. She’s always struck me as a 2 guard in a PG body which makes her a tweener IMO.

Reply #661988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, too small to be a centre and a very limited game.

It is one of the many problems with the COE. They don't develop players with any foresight at all, particularly the women's program. It is simply geared to preparing junior teams to be competitive.

Reply #661989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cole, Garrick, bishop, snell, hurst, Lavey overrated.
Should not be in the squad or considered.

Reply #661990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Magbegor is 18...
Give her 5 years mate. She's there for experience.

Reply #661991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

COE is absolutely about thinking next level. I'm sorry your kid didn't make the program though.

Reply #661992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coe is terrible imo.
What is the point of having 98 and 99 born kids still in the program.

Most kids that come from there can't handle the ball.
The ones who can have gotten there skills from a previous trainer.

Reply #661993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Cole, Garrick, bishop, snell, hurst, Lavey overrated.
Should not be in the squad or considered."

Hurst and Snell as good as anyone at those positions atm. Bish as well since Griffin is injured. Post your healthy available 12 so we can point out all its problems for you.

Reply #661995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mitchell
Mansfield
Ebzery
Seekamp
Cumming
Ohea
Allen or Talbot
Blicavs(injured) -Smith as replacement
George
Batkovic
Tolo
Cambage

Reply #661997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so bish is overrated but george gets in your team???? why?

Reply #661998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Better rebounder, can shoot from the perimeter...

Reply #661999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also has more familiarity with brondello and the team.

Reply #662000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

30% perimeter shooting is rubbish and she can't defend a dead tree stump but ok she does get more rebound then bish (0.4 more)

Reply #662001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they both aren't great but George is the better option.
They are a 4th-5th post option imo.

If mijovic could play defense, she'd be there. Has no drive to be good...

Reply #662002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

neither does George tho. nice girl but flakey as they come on the court.

Reply #662003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Griffin is best at the 4 but we can't take both her and Mitchell. Blicavs next best. We want to give Cambage space and surround her with shooters.

6'2 Allen at pf, 6'1 ohea at sf, 5'11 cumming at sg, 5'5 Mitchell at pg might be a nice option. 6'8 Cambage at center...

Reply #662004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anderson is a farce of a coach. Just watched clips of her post game interview, complaining about what her team was 'dished' in the 2nd quarter.

Mrs Anderson can plainly see from livestats that her team earned the first 4 fouls of the quarter before the whistle was blown against her side. At which point, she decided to substitute in an 18 year old who was expected to match it with Opals level players, and unsurprisingly, bricked FTs, got caught out of position and fouled, while her teammates turned the ball over repeatedly. While the tide turned against her, the foul count remained 7-4 in her team's favour.
Perhaps turning the ball over ball 6 times that Q might be a reason why her team wasn't successful in that period of time.

Or blame the refs - that works too.

Reply #662006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who is this new resident Anderson hater? did Mark wright discover this place?

Reply #662007 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Less than 3 minutes in and Dowe already has 2 PFs & Standish 1. Eeks.

Reply #662008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can assure you 007, there's more than one.

Reply #662011 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

One quarter in the books and Liz already has 10 & 5,
but Sami has 14 & 4 assists, and Courtney 8 & 4 steals.
Spewing that it's not being streamed.

Reply #662012 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

46-51 at halftime. I don't think that's going to be enough once foul trouble + fatigue start to bite.
Liz already respectable full game numbers of 22 & 9
32 points @ 14/21 for Courtmi Willcomb

Reply #662017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If someone at the game could tell me how a team manages to go through 3/4 of a game with only 5 fouls please let me know. Something I'd want to teach my juniors

Reply #662034 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

How about a team that manages to play a half of basketball, and their leading rebounder has 1 rebound.
Adelaide do you want that 4th spot or not?

Reply #662038 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

This game sounds epic. Been keeping an eye on the stats and it has been basket-for-basket all through the 4th.

Reply #662040 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Holy shit .. they did it.

Reply #662047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought the Rangers were very competitive in Townsville. They won the second half with a depleted team and had all their 3 bigs on 3 fouls before halftime. I guess haters gonna hate.....even if they don't make sense!

Reply #662055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide lose to Capitals without Nat Hurst! The Lightning won't make finals now!

Reply #662056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only person not making sense is Anderson and her supporters. No one is arguing her side isn't depleted. No one actually expects her side to actually make the top 4 anymore. But to blame the refs and suggest that's the reason she lost yesterday is disingenuous.

Reply #662058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like Larissa was frustrated at the referees. This wouldn't be the 1st or last time a coach will comment on the refs. I believe there is a separate thread commenting on how poor the refs have been this season?

Reply #662063 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

> #661983

...and they're gone.

Put me down for a Courtmi Willcomb jersey.

Reply #662064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a game by DJ cambage!
Would be great to watch some of these game's, surely fox can stream a few more.

Reply #662091 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Lynx v Boomers rematch is the TV game next week.

Reply #662093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

''Coe is terrible imo.
What is the point of having 98 and 99 born kids still in the program.

Most kids that come from there can't handle the ball.
The ones who can have gotten there skills from a previous trainer.''

have to agree here , it certainly has many areas where it just does not meet the mark of a so called elitist program. Most of those kids can shoot, just so long as they dont have anyone on them, and they can go through the motions of defense, they 'look the goods'but putting it into practice against mature court smart players doesnt happen till they have been out a good few years, so you do need to question is the COE in its current mode really worth it. Non are decent ball handlers, or even court smart, and apart from getting the advantage of a hall pass for national teams, when they get out into the big kids game they really are no better than those good players who either chose not to go or didnt get the opportunity.

Reply #662094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

""The only person not making sense is Anderson and her supporters. No one is arguing her side isn't depleted. No one actually expects her side to actually make the top 4 anymore. But to blame the refs and suggest that's the reason she lost yesterday is disingenuous.""

a frustrating season for any coach, so many injuries, but she needs to own it and not blame the refs, as a coach shes not been smart with how shes used those players, she has literally run them into the ground, Blicavs(cummings) barely gets a break and when she does she stands at the side waiting to go back on, shes is a brilliant shooter and certainly a go to player but shes not a machine and it shows when her shots stop falling,then you have Palau a 38yr old guard who has been injured more than shes been sound as her marquee player, yes an ex olympian , yes a great player, but why pick a player like that, when she already had Lavey and Toddhunter, plus Antoniadou as a back up(this kids hardly touched the crt and she kills at training the few sessions I have seen)......then signing two juniors straight from COE, who had no experience at senior level as rostered players, they should have been development players, so many things as a coach she could and should have done differently and this is the result they have been given, I dont think even if Blicavs had not done her ACL the end result would have been very much different, they were loosing games then because they have struggled all season to finish off
loosing so many good players after doing so well last season you do need to question why? Rangers lost two of the best guards in the league in Clydesdale and Novosel, plus one of the few home grown bigs in Sherf and why did they not get Mallot back she would have been great alongside Pederson...somethings not right at Rangers and you cant blame the refs for any of that.
Yes the reffing can and is atrocious in many games , more so for the loosing team,but you need to adjust to the refs
Its such a short season, player fitness and management is certainly key, many scoffed at Molloy for being careful with Cambage, and Ohea, but look at the result,
many here also said Anderson was not up to this level when first appointed, now maybe sadly they may have been right.

Only a few more games left and then hopefully Rangers can regroup,will Anderson keep her job, who knows, but lets hope the clubs makes better choices for next season in all areas.

Reply #662095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think everyone's got the point that you don't like Larissa. Let's move on from the Rangers and focus on who's gonna make the Top 4??

Reply #662097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth, Townsville, Boomers, Sydney will be the Top 4.

Reply #662099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boomers vs Perth in the GF and think Perth will win it in 3.

Reply #662100 | Report this post

Double Dribble  
Years ago

What a game b/w Melbourne & Perth. It had everything,
great shooting by Perth, big game from Liz (and no tantrums). The two W's shot very well again, instead of Kunek shooting well it was the other K, Kayla.
It must have been pleasing for Kunek too nail those free throws after leaving Melbourne last season and moving to a coach who KNOWS how to develop a player.

Can some one tell me what player has Guy developed into a better player?

There isn't one.

Reply #662101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think everyone's got the point that you don't like Larissa. Let's move on from the Rangers and focus on who's gonna make the Top 4??

if your referring to the post immediately above yours then thats my first matey. and I happen to think Anderson is a fine coach,but perhaps WNBL is too much for her.

top four IMO will be Perth, Townsville, Boomers and Sydney, and probably in that order, depending on injuries and foul trouble, think all 4 have a chance on the day as all have attributes that can get them the win, and if Novosel had not gone down with an ACL, I think they had a good chance of snatching one of those spots too.

Rangers, Canberra and Bendigo have all had shocking seasons, Bendigo loosing Grif sounded their season hopes big time, but the league as a whole have seen few real blow out games, all teams have at times shown great form. Hopefully next season teams will have adjusted to this shorter more condensed season and will manage their teams better to avoid so many injuries.

Reply #662102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Losing griffin obviously impacts a teams chances of winning, no doubt. Not sure what they did in the pre season though because they look out of shape big time. They also have a coach who speaks to them like they are prep children, which can't be helping their cause.

Reply #662103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth have shown small ball is the way to win in this condensed WNBL season.

Reply #662104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, its because they have the 2 best backcourt players in the wnbl and a top 4 sf.
It's only close because they have terrible post players.

Reply #662106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

* Perth backlash post *

Perth have shown recruiting as many american imports as possible is the way to win in this condensed WNBL season. :-)

Reply #662107 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Andy Stewart is a heck of a coach IMO. I don't think he gets enough credit for what he does over here in terms of getting maximum production out of his players. I love his demeanour too, both with his players and the refs. No unnecessary carry-on that infects the playing group, just delivers his messages.

We all knew from the start that Perth's backcourt would be elite, but 2 players don't win basketball games on their own. The way we've managed to not get destroyed by all the quality bigs in the league this season is again a credit to Andy, and to the collection of undersized players who have bought 100% into a system of working for each other.
By rights the condensed season should have hurt Perth more than anyone, with our distance away, our lack of depth, and the tempo we're forced to play at to compensate for lack of size. I still don't quite get how we're at the top of the ladder right now, but the collective group attitude is probably the #1 factor underpinning it.

Reply #662108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth have also been lucky to play alot of teams when undermanned during the season which has helped them. But full credit to them just the same.

Reply #662111 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

It's true - we've caught quite a few teams at an unfortunate time, health-wise.
With the number of injuries around the league this season I know we're not alone with that, but it feels like we've got more than our fair share of it.

Reply #662113 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

I believe you are right on target, Luuuc. Teams can recruit stars and coaches can take as many whiteboard & training drill sessions as they want but comradery & culture is the essential ingredient. Sydney Uni Flames, Western Bulldogs, Richmond but not Melbourne United, are all testimony to that lately.

Reply #662118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes, the communication between players and coaches has a lot to do with the success on and off court, and coaches actually having belief in their players from 1 to 12 is a huge bonus for any team.

Reply #662121 | Report this post

Double Dribble  
Years ago

This is why Melbourne hasn't gone anywhere under Guy's coaching.
Just look at his record, always finishing in the bottom 4. Yet gets another 3 years.
Who has the answer?

Reply #662123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hasn't gone anywhere? he still might win the title this season!

Reply #662125 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Has there been a change to how finishing positions are determined? Is it still season splits or is it now percentage?

Reply #662126 | Report this post

Double Dribble  
Years ago

Not because of his coaching, he has had very good teams in the past and not delivered.
Last season he lost at least 5 games because of his subbing.
This year he has a 6.8 centre who is unstoppable.
They should win.
But have all the players bought in?

Reply #662127 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I hope it's still season splits, seeing as every team has a 3-game series against every other team this season. Makes it perfect for that system.
I know the NBL tweaked their system but I don't recall hearing anything about the WNBL changing.

Reply #662129 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

I believe it is splits deciding the final placings - though the WNBL site ladder had teams ranked on percentage when teams were on equal records.

In terms of the top 4, Perth have splits over them all bar Melbourne which will be decided on Saturday, Melbourne has no splits over top 4 teams, Townsville has the split over Melbourne and is tied with Sydney (to be decided on the 29th), and Sydney has the split over Melbourne. If Adelaide were to sneak in they do have the split over Sydney but they really do need other results to go in their favour now. Shout out to Helen (@hoopshots) /BasketCase for the split sheet - absolute legend for putting that together.

Reply #662130 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Definitely is still splits - the below taken from the official 17/18 media guide;

"The order of the ladder will be determined by each team's winning percentage. If teams are tied at the end of the
season, ties will be broken by the head-to-head record of tied teams."

Reply #662131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hasn't gone anywhere? he still might win the title this season!

Boomers who were broke last season, suddenly became financially viable and bought some players, not a lot to to with his coaching, more to do with who he has playing, though I still am not convinced they will get the title

and yes he got another three years go figure lol

Reply #662132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3 more after this one or including this one? Either way that is a big commitment considering his recent record.

Reply #662134 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Thanks Melb Fan. I'd spent the morning tabulating season splits then noticed how the ladder is being shown.

Perth still need a win for certain top. The other three is tight to predict, with Townsville or Sydney most likely for second. Melbourne could win all three but would still need good fortune to get second (teams like Canberra & Bendigo should have some extra barrackers there).

If Townsville snare second then third will still be a good prize IMO, because Townsville will be vulnerable even with two at home.

I penned my own Outright market today and even at 2.75 with some bookmakers I believe Perth are decent overs. The other four are a bit or a lot too short IMO.

Bookmakers best odds:

Perth Lynx
Sydney Uni Flames
Melbourne Boomers
Townsville Fire
Adelaide Lightning

Reply #662136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whilst I agree with the odds, is every teams defence or offence that bad that they can't expose Perth's weaknesses?

Reply #662139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Townsville have to most talent out of any team and should win it! But their high credential imports don't fire year in year out??

Reply #662142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perths strengths in Williams and Whitcomb are too hard to stop for teams, let alone worry about exposing Perths weakness!

Reply #662149 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

It should be a great finals series, any of the four teams can win it if it all clicks for them. Perth have to be favourites and Sydney the shakiest. A grand finals series like the game last week (and for next week too) would be fun to watch.

Reply #662150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When does Tupaea come back in?

Reply #662151 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

I think the long term prognosis was she's due back by the end of the home & away?? Not sure what the latest update is.

Reply #662152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Flames want her to play but I don't think Tupea wants to play & risk possibly re-injuring her Jones fracture.

Reply #662153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't think she should be allowed to play her injury was not from this season and she has not taken the court not even in preseason so how can they Permit that
Different if it was an injury sustain this season and she was returning from it but she was out before it began

Reply #662155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

she going to a Minnesota lynx camp?

Reply #662157 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Perth deserve to be favourites atm, but it really is an open contest IMO. As a jump-shooting team with no Plan B, we will always be vulnerable.

On the other hand, when we're nailing tough shots at 76% accuracy, we are very hard to keep up with!

Reply #662162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That is some highlight reel. Dont think it mattered what Adelaide did on D she had an answer for it.
I want to say alot of them shots were bad decisions but she nailed them all.

Reply #662168 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Bendigo supporter here...

If any coaches need to be worried, definitely Simon. Players aren't happy, supporters aren't happy and club not happy. Yes Griffin is out... though a key player, that is one player. He has been there for three years, had greater depth in some of those seasons and still no finals appearances. Yes location etc may be a challenge for them at times, but previous coaches had that issue and managed to get the best (and more) from the players!! And championships!!
If it weren't for Sion, the likes of Snell and Wilson would still be there - big game players in this league ad experienced. Snell all but said this plainly in her Herald Sun article. Players like that would have bridged the hole missing from Griffin. He and his agenda is ruining the club. Needs to go! Check out Bendigo Spirit army page if you want to see how the supporters feel about him!

Reply #662172 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Is it true that Tess Lavey lives in Bendigo?

Reply #662173 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I believe she may have a house there but hasn't lived there since she left spirit and went to Perth. Originally from swan hill. Another one they nolonger have but she never played under Simon.

Reply #662176 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Would not know where she lives though

Reply #662177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lavey left for Perth because Bendigo didn't play her, that was under Harrower, players will only sit for so long, coaches need to understand that, different when they are teenagers and development players, but they can’t stay like that for years on end waiting for injuries to give them a chance, Lavey only lasted one year in Perth , now signed two yrs with Rangers.
Can players get out of contracts ?

Bendigo could have used her this season

Reply #662183 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I suppose sitting on the bottom of the ladder and losing by 30pts each week isn't much to smile about?

Reply #662201 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

What do we think of the MVP race? There's four clear favourites - Cambage, Williams, Batkovic, Taylor (makes team of the year easier to figure out).

I think out of those the most likely winner to be in the end Cambage on current form or Williams if she's able to carry Perth to the finals and the league doesn't want the baggage of giving it to Liz.

The other two can still get it, Batkovic has still been playing well and Taylor's been injured I just think they're further behind and will need to carry their teams more come finals.

Reply #662207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is the voting system the same stupid one as NBL where the winner is whoever doesn't have great teammates?

Reply #662208 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Cambage will win MVP. Without her, Boomers are a bottom 2 team!

Reply #662209 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

How is the WNBL MVP determined?

Reply #662210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Batkovic will win again. It is an open secret that the fire coach gives her max votes every game irregardless of how she plays and she will get a lot of votes from oppo coaches because she racks up big individual stats

Reply #662212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

both coaches give out 10 votes after each game, max of 5 for any player

Reply #662213 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

So does that mean a coach can distribute the 10 as they please? Eg. 5-4-1 or 2-2-2-2-2, etc.

Reply #662214 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Lavey apparently is best mates with Sara B.

The 2014/15 Bendigo roster was as follows. Sara was starting (I think?). Unfortunatly the four young guns (+Penaluna) moved on after that season:

Kelsey Griffin
Belinda Snell
Gabrielle Richards
Sara Blicavs
Kristi Harrower (retired mid season)
Chelsea Aubry
Madeleine Garrick
Kelly Wilson
Heather Oliver
Tessa Lavey
Jane Chalmers
Elyse Penaluna
Tayla Roberts
Andrea Wilson

Reply #662221 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

I'm fairly certain Lavey lives with Sara & Tayla Roberts in Michele Timms house - one of them said it ages ago on the WNBL show.

In terms of the MVP race, I feel Liz will get it - though I think Williams is the more talented/deserving player. Who from the Boomers will be pinching votes from her? Maybe O'Hea, but not enough to really put a dent in her chances. Williams is competing with Whitcomb for votes, and I wouldn't be surprised if Kunek and Standish pinched a few from them here and there. Same deal with Taylor, she's probably going to have quite a few votes pinched by Snell, Ebzery, Wilson and even Hamson at times. If it were decided on those coaches votes, then in order I'd say Cambage, Batkovic, Williams, Taylor then Whitcomb coming in at 5th.

On the Bendigo discussion earlier, their SEABL team has signed Tessari, Payne, Karaitiana, Hurst, Wild & Jess Rennie for the upcoming season. https://twitter.com/joelbpeterson/status/942917452244992000

Reply #662226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All star 5 so far has to be

PG- Whitcomb
SG- Williams
SF- Taylor
PF- Batcovic
C- Cambage

Reply #662242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Batkovic is somehow averaging 20ppg while only shooting 44% from the field and and 15% from 3.

Reply #662246 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Ah yeah if it's a voting system rather than a panel of judges than agree that favours Liz as Williams/Whitcomb will trade points. In the future I'd like to see more than 8 coaches decide each game. Include the refs, at least one member of the media maybe too. Counters bias of all groups that way.

The All-Star team seems straight forward, really only that 5th spot that should have any contention but agree it's Whitcomb's as thing stand now. Players like Bishop, Snell, O'Hea, George, Cummings the next tier and one of them may sneak in.

Oh forgot to mention but great video Luuc, thanks! Geez CW makes our league look pedestrian (which is what you'd want from a regular WNBA starter and Team USA member).

Reply #662261 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Agree, I was surprised (if it is true that is) that coaches votes decide the league MVP - I'm sure most if not all would vote fairly but as suggested above re Townsville/Suzy there for sure could potentially be personal agendas going on there. I'd have thought refs would have some sort of say like they do in the Brownlow, but other than that perhaps even a panel of BA officials.

Reply #662264 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Batkovic won two MVPs under Buckle and another two under Lucas. But yep, Brassard must have been rigging the votes for years. Maybe it was the Russians?

Reply #662266 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Oh last year was just your typical East Coast bias and anti-anything from WA hate for why she won the award over Sami ;)

Reply #662272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For all the conspiracy theories out there this is how the MVP race actually works. After each game both coaches and the refs award a 3/2/1. If you really wanted to figure out the likely leading MVP you can probably do it yourself if you have the time or the interest to do it.

Go through every game and award a 3/2/1 and then multiply it by three. Give the best statistical performance from the winning team 3 votes. The two and the one could be from either team depending on if the game is a blowout or close and if there are more outstanding performances.This formula makes it hard for players from teams that haven't had as many wins from winning the MVP.

When you look at each candidate that people are discussing starting with Liz. Since the refs give votes you would think this would harm Liz's chances a bit, can't see them giving her votes in any of the games she has been tossed. She will have also lost votes to O'Hea on some games.

Asia's chances would have taken a little hit by missing some games. Also she would have lost votes at times to Wilson, Ezbery, Snell and Hamson.

Williams will be up there as she has been a consistent best performer for Perth but will occasionally lose some points to Sami and Alice.

Batkovic has been the leading scorer for Townsville most of the season and has probably only lost top votes to George on a couple of games.

Based on this I would say it will be between Williams and Batkovic.

Reply #662291 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

That's a pretty good summation. The Melbourne v Perth game from thr weekend is a good example of this. IMO, Whitcomb was Perth’s best player but Liz was dominant for the Boomers. Every chance the votes from the game look like this:

Perth
3 Whitcomb
2 Williams
1 Cambage

Melbourne
3 Cambage
2 Whitcomb
1 Williams

Referees
3 Whitcomb
2 Cambage
1 Williams

So despite it being another very good game from Courtney, she may have only pocketed four votes

Reply #662296 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Thanks for the explanation. If true it's done this way I believe Taylor won't have been pipped for 3's by teamates much at all and at some point before her injury it would be close between her and Liz. Possibly true that disciplin could affect Liz's tally?? Williams should be the swooper from behind and of course Suzy will poll in a lot of games. Some games Williams work, on LiveStats, only happenned after HT, so top votes might not be so automatic where other keept them alive to HT.

Coaches in sport can have a habit of marking their own players a bit harder and not wanting to be seen as biased, so I guess inividuality in this way would be a factor, although you'd expect they'd be directed to be as realistic as possible.

At this point I suspect Liz is ahead.

Reply #662306 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I think it's between Liz & Suzy
Sami would have taken way too many votes from Courtney IMO. I've been lucky enough to see a lot of recent Lynx games and Sami has been clutch, even in games she was out-scored. Her influence all over the court is always going to put her in the votes.
Taylor has missed some games, and as mentioned Sydney have a number of players who have also had excellent games in Malott, Snell, Ebzery & Wilson.
Batkovic always gets her numbers, even in losses. I'd have her a nose in front of Liz atm.

Reply #662323 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

All jokes aside, been kind of ridiculous if Suzy wins again in a race against three other players this time.

Reply #662342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well I think you could easily discount any ref votes going Cambages way lol
So maybe she's not going to be in the running, opposition coaches probably won’t be giving her too many either

Reply #662344 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:23 am, Thu 9 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754