Hooper
Two years ago

Tyler Johnson

A few games in, and I'm interested on peoples perspectives on Tyler Johnson. Is it a classic example of a role player not translating to the NBL, or have the Monstars stolen his powers?

Topic #50509 | Report this topic

LV  
Two years ago

His career trajectory is down, down, down

That's pretty significant I reckon

Reply #901570 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Imo he could be a good fit, again imo the other Brisbane guards over dribble the ball.

Reply #901571 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

He wasn't drafted but I'm talking the past 5+ years

Is also a sign of NBL strength. You can't necessarily expect a guy from end of NBA bench to come and dominate

Reply #901572 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Or because he got a big contract in the NBA and is comfortably set for life he's not willing to go all out for whatever chump change the Bullets are paying him, relatively speaking of course.

Reply #901574 | Report this post

Hooper  
Two years ago

The problem I have, is that he looks like he isn't dynamic in any area, including defence. Walker is a third import in the NBL, and is better than him. They need a playmaker with Sobey, particularly whilst Sobey recovers. Johnson unfortunately isn’t it (so far). What role does coach James Duncan play in this also?

Reply #901586 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Sobey, Walker, Cadee over dribble the ball, hard to play in a team like that.

Reply #901589 | Report this post

Ben  
Two years ago

He's been hamstrung a great deal by a tightarse ownership group, but a great deal of blame surely lays with GM Sammy Mack for his shitarse roster construction.

We need a point guard? Hmmm no, let’s sign a duplicitous player in Tyler Johnson when we already have Sobey playing the exact same role. What could go wrong.

Reply #901591 | Report this post

Bullets  
Two years ago

^^ Agree 100%
It's been the same story with the Bullets for years.
Send Johnson home and get a proper PG!

Reply #901598 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Sobey has probably got a say in it, I'm certain he wants to play the point. Smaller stadium but Brisbane do pack it out, just be nice to put a winning team on the floor.

Reply #901601 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two years ago

Didn't have much impact today but has been pretty productive up until then.

Needs to be more aggressive but Brisbane really are guilty of not involving both Johnson and Baynes more. It was frustrating to watch because Johnson is still a quality player.

Sobey I think is being a bit selfish in trying to get his game going. Forcing it too much I mean. Issues with how Cadee, Johnson and Sobey work together. Commentators suggested starting all three which I think is worth a go.

Reply #901604 | Report this post

Frisbee14  
Two years ago

I find it somewhat interesting that Gaze pipes up about tactics when his own coaching career was an absolute disaster. But always easier sitting on the sidelines.

Reply #901612 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Gaze was in a difficult situation when coaching, mates with JVG certainly did not help. Gaze would have been better with less so called stars in the team, some of their imports were horrible.

Reply #901613 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Gaze is the Undisputed NBL goat

There's plenty of elements to coaching and playing

He's absolutely over qualified to be offering opinions on the ins and outs of NBL games, regardless of his 3 year stint being mostly a fail

Reply #901614 | Report this post

Hooper  
Two years ago

" Didn't have much impact today but has been pretty productive up until then."

Are we watching the same season?

Reply #901616 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two years ago

"Are we watching the same season?"

Yes. Only had 24 points last game! At the same time as saying that he isn't utilised well.

Reply #901617 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

The guy is shooting 51% from the field and 63% from 3. The real issues are he's not imposing himself enough on games and his coach needs to utilise his strengths more.

Also keep in mind he barely played last season, he's likely to show more and more as the season progresses.

Reply #901624 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Two years ago

Hmm... An NBL team going for a "name"/gimic player (wasn't there that "reunited with Baynes" thread initially?) instead of a no-name that is more an ideal fit for a team... We've never seen THAT not work out before (although it used to be mostly the Kings)

Time and time again teams go for the more talented individuals instead of talented players who fit into the team properly...

Reply #901628 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

To be fair to the Bullets they would've had no idea how Baynes would play from his long lay-off, as things currently stand he's hardly dominating so maybe they wanted to sign another 'superstar' player to off-set another Baynes injury or poor form.

From what I've seen of him Tyler Johnson appears to be in cruise control a bit not interested in having to be seen to be 'the man' on the team, he's made his money and set for life regardless, so content to just cruise along without over exerting himself too much.

Baynes wants to try and get back into the NBA, Sobey still thinks he's a gun, Walker's trying to impress to avoid being released so with those agendas in play Johnson is probably more content with not rocking the boat. Something needs to happen though at 0-4.

Reply #901635 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

I just don't think he sees enough of the ball, the suggestion that him, Sobey and Cadee play together, lol. Put him on with players that want to play team.

Reply #901651 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:59 am, Wed 8 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754