Anonymous
Years ago

phil symth should be sacked

look at what this guy has done mee, cat, oscar, jacob,dusty and now willie. also ingles and newley won't play under phil. why is the club keeping him. we could of had more championships by now but its the image thing for phil. if someone tries to take that away from him he gets rid of them. we have the money now pay these players what they are worth. If you buy cheap your going to get cheap results. look at the season just gone.

Topic #10476 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Just in case you seriously think you're putting across a new view, I'm warning you that you will cop a lot of "there are already x million threads about this" - because there are.

Mee and Cattalini get more money in Cairns than we were ever able to pay.

The team were not able to fit Dusty under the cap at the time with an increase to Farley in his second year and could not match Brisbane's offer.

And as for Farley, I can't really comment too much, but I wouldn't blame Smyth for that at all.

In the immediate past, the club was limited by the cap. Smyth doesn't set the player recruitment budget so I don't think you can put that criticism on him.

Reply #120534 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

put your name up then we will take you more seriously, to hide behind anon means shite

Reply #120535 | Report this post

TK  
Years ago

Let him ride out his contract. By then Goorj will be available.

Reply #120545 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Please TK, anyone but Goorj. That will turn the fans away in droves (we might win, but the games will be boring as hell).

Reply #120554 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

That's a joke, yes?

Goorjian would never be accepted in Adelaide.

Reply #120555 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Is this Ground Hog Day?

Reply #120558 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Dicko, there is already a "would you take Goorjian as coach" thread on did on here with some interesting responses if you are interested.

http://www.hoops.com.au/sa/i.cfm/forumlist/8809/

Reply #120559 | Report this post

kat  
Years ago

whats the go with farley?

Reply #120560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they didnt want him back and its a good decision.

Reply #120561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Little do you know about who wants farley back. Little do you know. There will be some big suprises in the near future.

Reply #120564 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

Kent not sure about 'Ground Hog day', but that new Denzel movie, DEJAVU is pretty good!

Reply #120570 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

I heard that sweet and sour sauce from KFC is also pretty good

Reply #120572 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

Not funny Brockman, the pain is still so deep for my poor taste buds.

Reply #120578 | Report this post

Jimmy_The_Snitch  
Years ago

Maybe the Sixer should fire Phil Smyth and then they could hire John Kosmina and Ross Aloisi as captain coach of the club.

We would then get a loud mouth intense coach that shows raw emotion and doesn't take crap from the umpires or the governing body, both are fantastic role models for the sport and kids aspiring to play the game, both have achieved enormous amounts in terms of championships and grand final appearances, 0  6 is testimony to that.

Phil Smyth doesn't look so bad does he.

Reply #120583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kosmina's team made the Grand Final thugh Jimmy- where did the sixers finish?

Reply #120589 | Report this post

MS  
Years ago

Jimmy,

Id rather have a coach and players who get pissed off and crack the shits when they lose than sit there looking like they couldnt care less.

Granted Kosi and some of the team have well overstepped the mark on this occasion but IMO too much passion is a better option that none at all

Reply #120591 | Report this post

Jimmy_The_Snitch  
Years ago

#120589 - Lets hire Don "slap Slap" Shipway again so he can bring the club and sport into disrepute again. Standing up and screaming obscenities at the media or players is no a good way of showing your passionate.

MS - So Phil doesn't have any passion for the club or sport of basketball anymore?

Did he categorically say this to you or are you simply judging his action on the way you perceive him?

Reply #120600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you at it again Snitch ?? Give it a rest mate....Phil is done.

"The team were not able to fit Dusty under the cap at the time with an increase to Farley in his second year and could not match Brisbane's offer."

Tends to happen when you are on $100K per season and you get asked to be brought back to $50K. Brisbanes $175K then looks pretty good hey ?

Reply #120611 | Report this post

Jimmy_The_Snitch  
Years ago

Give what a rest? Maybe it would be a wise move to lock any topic surrounding the reappointment of Phil Smyth. I didn't start this thread and just stating my opinion on a subject regarding basketball in SA.

Isn't this like the 10,000th Phil Smyth coaching thread this month? Maybe you should tell the ammoniums poster who started this topic to give it a rest.

Reply #120613 | Report this post

MS  
Years ago

Jimmy,

I dont believe I ever said Phil didnt have any passion for the club or sport - again you just read into things what you want to suit yourself - my post said "sit there looking like they couldnt care less"

What I was inferring was that to me (yes that means in MY OPINION - your not the only one around here who is allowed to have an opinion) the team and coach this year looked rather blase about the way the season was going and just accepted the poor results. I was hoping for some proactive moves by someone.....anyone to try and change things around and make the team more competitive.

So answering your last sentence - of course I am judging Phil and the team on their action (or inaction as the case seems to be here) as I am not Phil nor do I know his phone number to ring him and ask him. I could turn around and ask you if he has catagorically told you he has passion for the club - or are YOU just judging him on long past results?

Reply #120616 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Apart from our perceptions of Phil, and the fact that we had a disgusting year this year. Who are you gonna replace him with?

no point in removing unless you are guarenteed a better replacement, that doesnt mean someone who looks better, sounds better or stomps up and down the sideline, it means someone who brings more knowledge, experience and talent to the team.

i repeat, WHO out there brings more of that?

Reply #120618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ask hemmerling. he was talking to the options.

Reply #120619 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

please no more smythe blogs to the season starts!

He is the coach for next season, whether you, i, we like it all not. Throw your support behind him and the team. managment have made the decison that phil is to finish his exisiting contract! Lets see how the season goes and then debate his coaching!

Reply #120628 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

Oh, but i do wish Smyth was gone! : )

Reply #120629 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

holes getting deeper and deeper

Reply #120670 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

TK let him ride out his contract, by then Westover will be available (62 years old).

Reply #120682 | Report this post

Skudpud  
Years ago

So what happens if Phil turns it around next year and wins the championship, are you going to say that he still sucks and that he should go??

Reply #120684 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

Don't tell me I have to just put up with because I don't. People on here have a right to express their opinion. What I saw of Smyth this year did not impress me at all. Can someone please tell me what transformation Phil is going to have over the break to make him a far better performer next season?

Reply #120685 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Better tools to work with (players).

Reply #120695 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

And it would appear that so many players are wanting to play for Phil too - well at least those guys over 35 years of age anyway.

Reply #120700 | Report this post

Jimmy_The_Snitch  
Years ago

Squid - why did Brett stay in Adelaide if Phil was such a bad coach? It's not like he wasn't offered more money elsewhere and everyone know he stayed in Adelaide for a lot less than his marketplace value.

But as long as you and other can have the opportunity to bag him, you will feel good about yourself.

Reply #120719 | Report this post

PJ  
Years ago

his family is here.

Reply #120721 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Poor EC - Westover now signed for 10 years at Melbourne.....

Reply #120722 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Jimmy the Snitch
I find your post(#120600)on Don Shipway very interesting.If you knew any of the past players who played under Don you would realise that they hold him in very high esteem up to this day. The question I ask you is whether the past players under Phil have the same respect for Smyth?
I'll go as far to say it's a mixed bag......

Reply #120750 | Report this post

stiffffy  
Years ago

"Is this Ground Hog Day?"
Love ya kent :)

Reply #120823 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

Pretty obvious why he stayed in Adelaide Jimmy, for the same reason I have always been here, born and bred, family here etc. And of course the chance to play again alongside MARK NASH.

Reply #120873 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:03 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754