skip
Years ago

So Long To The Seals

It's official.

Im sure some of you will be over the moon. The Navy Seals are no more. It has been decided (quite amicably) that the group is to be retired.

I would like to thank the people who did support us over the last 2 seasons. Big thanks to Jane, Potsie, Isaac, Bonz & Ben for getting it all started in the first place and giving us the opportunity.

Bizzy, Steamrolla, Bozza, Booga, Noise, Brick, Horse, Danny Boy, Kitchdog, Rookie & Knackers... It was a pleasure.

Cya at the next home game.

Go Sixers.

Topic #11082 | Report this topic

Poor form by the Sixers SKIP YOU WILL TELL US WHY THE GROUP WILL NOT BE RETURNING NOW WONT YOU!

Reply #128883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jasmine......it was because they didnt do anything that any regular fan couldnt do!! They could still exist if they wanted, they just wont be funded by the Sixers and nor they should!!

Reply #128885 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Funded?

Reply #128891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess "funded" means free access and clothing.

Reply #128893 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Rolling in cash then! Some seats in a far-from-full stadium and customised tops from their clothing supplier.

It was an experiment - some things worked, some things didn't. Can't understand the haters coming out so strongly on this topic each time.

Reply #128897 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Jealousy is a curse.

Reply #128898 | Report this post

Jimmy_The_Snitch  
Years ago

If you 'Navy Seals' guys are real die hard fans of the Adelaide 36ers it should not matter as you will have been paying for your season tickets before the seals were created.

If you are real fans of the Sixer why don't you arrange to get your season tickets all together in the one bay and sit together and do exactly what you were doing.

I guess the Navy Seals were so attractive to some was because you get the tickets for free. I guess since they will not be around all this crappolla about you guys being true die hard fans was a load of horse droppings.

The long term die hard Sixer fans pay for there tickets, not expect them for free.

Good riddance to the seals as far as I am concerned but if you guys get your act together and arrange to do the same thing but pay for your own tickets; respect will be shown.

Reply #128900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you will find that many of seals were season ticket holders before the seals started.
I think you will find that many of them will be next year too as season ticket holders.
In fact I beleive a some of them were still season ticket holders while they were seals and let others use their tickets.
I dont believe getting 'free' tickets was the main reason for any of the group getting involved.
I say 'free' like so, because they did a lot more than just turn up at the game and cheer on the sixers.

Reply #128901 | Report this post

Jimmy_The_Snitch  
Years ago

If that is the case nothing will change so what is the fuss about

If the majority of seals purchased and pay for there season tickets out of there own pocket the only thing that will change is that they will not get as much public attention.

If the Navy Seal support the club as much as they say they do, they will become the official cheer squad of the 36ers and have no qualms about doing the little things.

The Port Adelaide Power and the Adelaide Crows cheer squad member do it for the love of the game and the club, I guess we will see if the Navy Seals have the same sort of dedication to the club and sport.

Reply #128904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is already a seperate cheer squad to the Navy Seals.
I beleive that they also get their tickets for free.

Reply #128905 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Kudos to the Seals for a job well done. Love them or hate them they were there every week supporting the club!

Reply #128910 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Jimmy, they worked at the game - at least one replacing paid/commission-oriented raffle sellers for the club. As has been said one or more also maintained their season membership even though they weren't sitting in the seats. Why is there any onus on them to 'prove' the magnitude of their fandom?

You know how I judge their interest in the club? When I've talked to any of them, I note the topics of conversation - always basketball, 36ers, NBL and always enthusiastic.

No need to prove any more than that to me. That they put their hands up in the first place to stick their necks out is something too - more than most of the rest of us did.

Reply #128911 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

sad to see you guys go, loved your work on the opponents, loved the banners..and loved the noise, I just hope you guys can help to make the cheersquad a little more vocal.

thanks for your efforts guys, they were appreciated.

Reply #128930 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!
Who's gonna do the sling shot for the free socks, t-shirts vouchers etc. now??
You were the only guys who managed to sling them further than the first couple of rows.
I for one appreciated your efforts & I know how hard it is to try to maintain the cheering when those around you are quietly watching. I guess that was difficult given where the team were last season.
It was also much better seeing you guys selling raffle tickets than being hassled by the professional sellers they had before.
Your sale of Hudson Maher wrist bands also appreciated, as were the BBQ's.
Seal'D was a great effort too.
Quiz night was fun.
Oh shit....was that you guys that did all that ......or were you just sitting around with your 'free tickets'? *wink*
THANKS!

Reply #128938 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Cheers Dana,

Nah, we didnt do this Quiz Nights. That is the Supporters Groups.

We did however come 2nd at the last one :-)

As for Seal'D, there may still be a 'lost' edition that may well surface one day.

Reply #128939 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Find it Skip, would be good to watch..
Good work lads..

Reply #128945 | Report this post

kdog  
Years ago

hahahahahahaha @ Jimmy The Snitch.

I wouldn't want respect from you anyway, you know, not knowing who you are and all.

Haha.

Reply #128951 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Thanks for the support Jimmy, as Isaac said some of us, I for one still purchased a family pass for the Sixers and will again this season. We put a lot of effort in despite what you think.

It was fun while it lasted, and thanks to the supporters not the haters.

Reply #128955 | Report this post

Jimmy_The_Snitch  
Years ago

If everyone within the Navy Seals group has paid for there own individual season ticket, now and in the past why is it so 'long to the seals'.

Only thing you will be missing out on is the on court stuff, I am sure the club would love for you to continue to cook the BBQ before the game and other charitable things.

If everyone who was associated with the Navy Seals paid for a season ticket, what is the big deal?

Reply #128965 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

Sad to see the Seals go. I'll miss the banners, cheers , Seal'D and taunts (especially the ones directed at shane heal). As for the haters, you're having a go passionate supporters who run raffles, BBQs etc. and support their team every night.............. thats just low.

Well Done Seals!!

Reply #128969 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Jimmy, The Seals are a group organised and endorsed by the Club. I interpret what Skip is saying to mean that the Club has chosen not to continue organising and endorsing a supporter group like the Seals. Pretty simple really.

I would think that if next season began and the Seals were not in their usual spot a thread would be started asking why. Skip is merely keeping forum users informed. I don't see anywhere in his post or any other where a "big deal" has been made.

" guess the Navy Seals were so attractive to some was because you get the tickets for free. I guess since they will not be around all this crappolla about you guys being true die hard fans was a load of horse droppings."

Jimmy, the quote above proves to me what I have suspected for a while - you are an idiot.

Reply #128974 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Jimmy, you've reached new depths with your contribution to this topic. Ill-informed, miles off track, and a new, special sort of idiocy.

Skip's original post was informative and thankful and in no way making a fuss about anything.

I bet it's times like these that you're thankful you're using an alias so as not to associate such pathetic offerings to your real name.

I'm aware of what worked and didn't work from the Seals concept, but I would find no criticism of their characters and interest in the team.

Reply #128983 | Report this post

Denny Crane  
Years ago

Bout time they got rid of them....
Denny Crane doesnt like sea animals. I think we line them up and go shooting. See how fast that fat sea-cow booga can swim before i shoot him. Bang!!!

Denny Crane

Reply #128991 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

jimmy put your ass on the line and tell all of us how u contributed. buying a season ticket doesn't give u a right to sit there and judge others.
maybe if u had ever spoken to anyone of us u would know some are involved at "grass roots" level and have played at a high level when they were a junior. but i guess your a season ticket holder so u contribute so much.so come on jimmy tell us what level u have played at,coached at or contributed to the sport we all love,breath and live basketball
if not shut up tuck your tail between your legs and go home!!!!

Reply #128994 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

denny pack up your orange shirt because i don't think they will be retaining u either

Reply #128995 | Report this post

T.O. Slammer  
Years ago

I hate to say this Seals but after your first game you guys went rapidly downhill. The novelty wore off and in many ways you were an embarassment to the club. A new novel approach was/is needed.

Reply #129002 | Report this post

Denny Crane  
Years ago

Orange? no, black. Orange is a soft colour.... Black or blue tie. Denny Crane.
And Mr Boogyman, i'll see you tonight. remember, i eat you for breakfast.... DENNY CRANE!!!!

Reply #129004 | Report this post

Denny Crane  
Years ago

Dome needs new mops booga, how about we just drag your arse along the ground... hang on, that'd cause more sweat.
No good. I'll think of something... cos I'm Denny Crane

Reply #129006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

t.o.slammer that sounds like phil smyth!! hahah!!

Reply #129008 | Report this post

Jimmy_The_Snitch  
Years ago

You have missed my point completely, as many have said the majority of the past Navy Seals already pay for a season ticket and will continue to do so. What is stopping you guys from doing the same thing as you have previously done but paying for the season ticket yourself.

Why not have the Nave Seals with out getting the extra funding form the club. Unless some are only trying to rort the system?

Do the BBQ and charitable stuff because that helps promote the club in a positive light and every organization on a tight budget needs volunteers to help out.

The majority are already season ticket holders and will again in 2007, I have never questioned your support of the club and it is obvious that most are passionate about the club so what is stopping you from doing exactly the same thing but with out the financial support. This is my question?

I have no problem with the ones that have a season ticket and will continue to have a season ticket in the future; I am just irritated with ones who only did it for the free season pass.

Reply #129010 | Report this post

BettyLeadfoot  
Years ago

Thanks for your efforts. I certainly appreciated them at least you tried. Dana pretty much sums them up.

Jimmy who? never heard of him.

Reply #129013 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

None of them only did it for a free ticket, that's the point. It was pitched as something for (originally, larger) fans who wanted to contribute more. It wasn't pitched as a "get a free ticket if you do x" deal.

How can you be "irritated" by the ones who did it for a free ticket? Can you name them? Or are you just making assumptions?

I'd imagine that a lot of it was about the experience more than anything.

In the beginning, they were more involved and that's why you saw the dance routine or the mucking around with props.

Over time, it was harder for them to stay motivated with less support - security made it difficult for them to do what they needed to do - e.g., not letting them get to certain areas to throw out prizes, etc.

Plus other things.

"rort the system" "extra funding from the club"

Are you serious?! A t-shirt and an empty seat? From memory, they weren't even saleable seats - they were added in.

Reply #129014 | Report this post

3guardfront  
Years ago

Spot on comments from Isaac, congrats from us fans who did appreciate the efforts made from the Seals each week.

From the beginning I was always under the impression that all the boys were always fans with previous season tickets anyway.

Jimmy, you should realise that you are only coming across as looking jealous because you didnt get selected for them in the first place.

Thanks Seals.

Reply #129043 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

well done seals i will miss your banter in front of my seats, there where some great comments this year

sad to see you go,

to jimmy "im diggin my 6 foot hole" then snitch dont let the door hit your arse on the way out,

and to denny craine personal attacks are pretty low and i for one would not blame booga requesting your ip to take it further

agains Seals was fun and at least you made the effort and a lot of what you did was behind the scenes that that haters just didnt know

Reply #129052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jimmy, the real question for you is "please explain that chip on your shoulder?"

Reply #129056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Their hearts might have been in the right place but they were an embarrassment to the state. Funny to start with but novelty soon wore off.

Reply #129057 | Report this post

Denny Crane  
Years ago

Maybe a hug would make it better.... come here Boogy, Hug Uncle Denny

Reply #129064 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

issac will there be a ceromony at the first game to retire our tops

Reply #129113 | Report this post

Jane  
Years ago

Hi Navy Seals. Sorry to read this but I wanted to post and say I realy do know how much you guys contributed, especially the 1st year. I know what the original job description was and want to thank you for being so brave. Many many many people would not be able to do what you did that first night on court. You each steped way out of your comfort zone which I know becomes a fabulous experience once achieved. You did well, lots of people loved you. You were different and had a lot of people talking about the basketball. Well done for all the work you did. It started as one thing but your kind hearts and passion for basketball saw you take the role and make it more community based. Stay positive in your experience. Forget the minority who didnt enjoy your efforts. It is their right too to have likes and dislikes. And none of us can ever please everyone. I hope you carry some special memories of your time in the lime light. I loved working with you. It was hard work but we certainly had some full on laughs.

Thanks for the memories :)
Jane

Reply #129133 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Have to say I was not a massive fan - understand the reason they were there and worth the try but they were not for me.

If I wanted to see fat guys sitting on their cans being digusted with the sixers effort I could look in a mirror.

That said, I did not hate them, I did not like them I was more on the fence.

Reply #129160 | Report this post

Denny Crane  
Years ago

And what are they going to do with yours booga.... Use it as a carpark.
Maybe if you speak to Daniel nicely he might use it as a mop to clean up the mess left by this years team. Well they didnt play basketball, they had to have been doing something at training. I reckon they were on the piss. i mean why else would you get Leonard, and The fatty who was like a thousand years old and couldnt jump, into the team?

I have to apologise to booga, i have been very mean lately. But Bonston is a stressful place, and Booga knows that.... I mean everybody knows it is hard being Denny Crane, even for Denny Crane

Reply #129168 | Report this post

just came on and saw this thread.

Oh well it was fun while it lasted.
to booga, skip, kdog, bizzy it was great getting to know you and i can still remember this years audition. what great fun. its a pity it didnt get loaded up to the website.i am sorry i couldnt join you the previous year but a pending wedding put paid to that.

I will still be selling raffle tickets, helping with the quiz nights and club functions. I will still be videoing club functions, the post match address for the web and almost anything else the club asks me to do. This hasnt been about a free ticket because I have been a season ticket holder since before the cheersquad, during the cheersquad. i did some of this stuff already before joining the seals this year.

I joined the seals this year because i wanted an opportunity to stand out and be part of a loud proud group. it was great to be in melbourne this year and be recognised by travelling supporters.

To set a few things straight bizzy and skip did tons of work for the seald espisodes this year, I dont think people realise how much work went into each episode. The others helped with raffle tickets, setting up, post match stuff, information handouts which allowed me to concentrate on raffle ticket sales for this i thank them for their help.
When i was in the cheersquad I still paid for a ticket and paid for extras to bring family and friends. There were no free tickets for cheersquad members.

To the people that thought this was a free ride i'll bet you dont have the dedication to be at every home game almost two hours before tip off sell raffle tickets in 40 degree heat outside the dome then missing the start, the end of the second quarter and the start of the third quarter to help sell raffle tickets and then hang around after the game to get post match interviews and player interviews all while working fulltime and having a family to look after

And some people have the gall to insinuate that we are freeloaders.

on a brighter note
i am currently creating dvd's of the 98 championship, the 99 championship with the bustrip from that year. i have finished the dvds from the 2002 championship that have all the club celebratory functions which are now uploaded to you tube.

I wonder what name I use now for the forum?????

thanks for the memories seals and remember

keep it seal'd

Reply #129194 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:42 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754