afroman jnr
Years ago

the condition of stadiums

i recently umpired at Pasadena and on court one we had bad leaks from the roof, and it was a bad safety hazard, alhtough it also ment we had to stop the game as soon as we saw water.

does this happen at other stadiums, if so how badly?

Topic #12020 | Report this topic

parasol  
Years ago

yes came is meant to be cancelled with any safety risk - as one of the umps you are the official to make this call

Reply #140339 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

Used to happen at hilcrest but that was mainly the hot air inside (caused by players once they warmed up) cold air outside, condensation would form on the roof and then leak down. Usually wasnt a problem for the early game but the next game once some condensation built up.

I assume this was rain causing the problem???

Court 1 at Athol Park used to leak a bit, the other courts leak but to a lesser extents and could be covered by people wiping the courts regularly. Of course if it is unsafe then you cant have that happening and the game should be called off.

Sorry they are the two main courts that I have been involved in, but I bet Port Adelaide leaks too.

Reply #140341 | Report this post

afroman jnr  
Years ago

yer it was because of rain

Reply #140342 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Last year Pt Adelaide was shutdown and a couple of games had to be postponed/played somewhere else because of all the water on the court.

Reply #140358 | Report this post

drip drip  
Years ago

Southern leaks all the time - they run around with towels mopping up the rain..... perhaps BSA should spend some money on fixing the leaky roofs instead of painting the walls.....

Reply #140377 | Report this post

somelikeithot  
Years ago

Leaks al the time at the Dome but none of the rumours are true.

Reply #140397 | Report this post

Gravity man  
Years ago

Hey Drip Drip,BASA can only afford paint that is given to them free,they wont fix the Leaks,court 2 at Wayville leaks under the basket,when it gets wet under basket they are told to keep games running and NOT to cancel games,thats why BASA has withdrawn sports insurance so they cant be liable for any broken ones suffered by a wet patch.Ongoing Basa problems

Reply #140400 | Report this post

rumor monger  
Years ago

Pasadena new courts no spring.PA boards over concrete and also at Port Adelaide.Starplex too far away .Wayville the ferris wheel not working all the time.Hillcrest next to a Ford dealer.Mars next to a Mosque.Hills rec center well its in the hills.The Dome its in a hole in the ground.MV well its at morphettvale and leaks.Have I missed anybody ? All stadiums have their bad points and their good points.

Reply #140417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

port adelaide is not on concrete trust me otherwise some of the issues that hav occured wouldnt hav

Reply #140426 | Report this post

Keith Martin  
Years ago

Wayville court 1 was leaking a few weeks ago during rain. Game was not cancelled. Umpires had towels to mop up puddles. I wonder if BASA can be sued for letting games go on in these conditions if somebody is injured or is it up to each player (or parent, in the case of juniors) to stand out of the game?

Reply #140427 | Report this post

Jack Spratt  
Years ago

Ok so Wayville, Pasadena, Port Adelaide, Hillcrest, M/ vale, Marion etc, ect all leak when it rains.

No one has mentioned Mars or Starplex. Could this be because they are run by private enterprise and actually spend a tiny bit of money on regular maintenance?

Reply #140431 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:11 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754