Isaac
Years ago

Preview: 36ers vs Hawks

In the spirit of today being the opening game for the 36ers' 07/08 season, here's my game preview - everyone is welcome to add their thoughts and tips:

Tonight, the Adelaide 36ers begin their 2007/08 NBL campaign against the Wollongong Hawks.

Adelaide should stop the trend of road success - so far this season in the NBL, the away side is four-from-four with wins going to Brisbane, Melbourne, Townsville and Cairns on the road - and look to account for the new-look Hawks.

While Adelaide will put import Mike Chappell through a fitness test today to determine whether or not he will suit, Wollongong will enter the game as underdogs regardless. They had a rough off-season, losing franchise player Glen Saville to the Sydney Kings, and both imports - Cortez Groves to the South Dragons and Adam Ballinger, of course, to the 36ers.

Full preview

My tip: 36ers by 15+.

Topic #12818 | Report this topic

Bizzy  
Years ago

Great write up, I heard Phil on the radio and he seemed confident that Chappell will suit up tonight.

My tip: 36ers by 16+

Reply #149369 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

It would be fantastic if Chappell plays but we'll kick ass regardless.

Sixers by 15

Reply #149373 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Ill go as far as 6ers by 22

Reply #149376 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anyone willing to top 22? :P

Reply #149377 | Report this post

sc  
Years ago

Can Isaac or someone else confirm the tip-off time?

The Sixers site has 8pm but the NBL site has 7:30 ACDT. It is bloody hard to know whats going on when different times are published.

Last year they were even advertising incorrect times on the radio.

Reply #149378 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Maher triple double.

Reply #149384 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It's at 8pm.

Reply #149385 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Sixers by 18

Ballinger to top score with 31

Reply #149392 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

Is it worth getting there early, if so what time would pre-game "entertainment" start?

Reply #149396 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

From the 36ers site:

The curtain raiser for tomorrow night's game will be the school "grudge" match between arch rivals, St. Peter's College and Prince Alfred College Open Boys. Then at half time of the 36ers, local BMX and Skateboarding stunt crew, "Da Klinic" will put on a show not to be missed.

Doors open at 6.00pm with the curtain raiser at 6.30pm. The 36ers open their 2007/08 campaign at 8.00pm.

Reply #149398 | Report this post

pulteney 17  
Years ago

Doubt Slambour will be happy with the entertainment. I hear a rumour he busted his wrist skateboarding yesterday...

Reply #149400 | Report this post

Moose 89  
Years ago

WOW the curtain raiser will be awesome..... pity PAC aren't the best when it comes to basketball...

Reply #149402 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Sixers by 23. Too big for Hawks.
Chappell 24 points

Reply #149404 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Is Mottram playing?

Cooper / Dench
Ballinger / Mottram
Chappell / Copeland
Maher / Ng
Davidson / Sutton

If so, that team looks pretty darn nice.

Reply #149412 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

I hope we can be up convincingly most of the game so we can rest our key players who have clouds over their heads ie Chappell and Brett and also give Dodman and Burdon some court time also.

Reply #149443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks by 5. Kidding yourself if you think a team is gonna lose opener by 22.

Reply #149445 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Is there going to be ABC radio (online) coverage again this year????

Reply #149448 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Certainly is - hit the 36ers site, go to the Schedule and follow the link. All games are live on the net - great work by the ABC.

Reply #149456 | Report this post

SuperBad  
Years ago

The Hawks will definitely win games this year....starting with tonight (by 9).

Sixers haven't showed much this preseason and haven't put a full team together in any game. I believe they are seriously underdone and the Hawks will run them off their feet.

Two players the Sixers can't match up on:

James Peters
Is one off those once in a decade athletes who will get at least 5 dunks & 5 blocks tonight.

Kavossy Franklin
My MVP this year.
Maher is not 100% and won't be able to guard the K man.

Reply #149459 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

I think Adelaide will just scrape over wollongong winning by less than 10 points.... Kavossy and James peters will dominate for the hawks as adelaide havent had the best pre season aswell as the fact taht they havent had their whole lineup for any pre season match....

Reply #149481 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Adelaide by 12 point tonight, with Ballinger to have big one against his old team.

Reply #149486 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

By most people's tips, I would say the Hawks were very underestimated tonight. I myself got quite a shock to see that they were not going to be the pushover I thought they would. They are a team of great shooters and if they do nothing else well, that sometimes is enough to get them over the line. They certainly did cause a few headaches tonight. We were never safe until the final seconds on the game ticked over.

Reply #149643 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:38 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754