Years ago

Maher out six weeks

just learnt

out 6 weeks

2.5 cm tear behind the calf

Topic #13422 | Report this topic

Quasi  
Years ago

Well, good luck to the rest of the guys, but I'd say that's any finals chance going out the window

Reply #156439 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

Get rid of Chappell now or we're looking at another season at the bottom of the table.

Reply #156441 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Get rid of Chappell and get a quality import guard that can play in the 2 or 3 spot

Reply #156442 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

36ers Skipper out for six

Darren Ng likely to replace Maher in the starting five.

No plans to replace Chappell that I'm aware of. Big opportunity for him now against Singapore.

Reply #156443 | Report this post

Boom Patrol  
Years ago

mmm heres phil smyths new excuse for losing...

Reply #156446 | Report this post

someamateur  
Years ago

Dench needs to go

Chappell needs to go

Dodman to get any minutes that were reserved for dench. As it would be nice to think that phil might start to try and develop him for future years.

Option for Chappell

Full Name:
Joshua Pace

Nickname:
JP

Born:
23/05/83

Birthplace:
Griffin, GA

Ethnicity:
American

School:
Syracuse

Height:

Weight:

Position:
Gd/Small Forward

Reply #156447 | Report this post

Boris Diaw  
Years ago

No I dont think this will help Phil. More reasons to get rid of him now. The season is now stuffed! Get someone else in there to blood the young troops, and give the 6ers a fresh start or die a sad, slow death.

Let's salvage something out of the season.

Reply #156449 | Report this post

someamateur  
Years ago

More information About Him

Played in the New Zealand league in the championship winning team. 24 years old. Played in the finals against guys like Jason Crowe, Pero Cameron, Luke Martin

Semi Final game had 37pts 8rebs and 7ast

He is young athletic and quick and has good size.

Reply #156450 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Do the 36ers rely more on Maher than any other team does on a single player?

Reply #156451 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

No chance that Newley is sick of Greece and wants to come back is there??

Reply #156452 | Report this post

someamateur  
Years ago

Here is another you should look at phil. I wonder if he has done any home work on other possibilities

How about this guy

Reply #156456 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Newley's season only begins this week!

Reply #156459 | Report this post

JRay  
Years ago

Some may call it 'Karma' but the laws of the universe have come to collect. Phil cannot fight it and will be gone years end.

Reply #156462 | Report this post

Mott the Hoople  
Years ago

I would like to see Dodman get his chance and Spud to replace Brett. Davidson and Spud in the back court would be a sight to behold.

Reply #156465 | Report this post

brock  
Years ago

How bout we wait until after they play the slingers before passing judgement

Reply #156470 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

156451, Isaac. IMO 36ers three top class key players and if one of those goes out it is a sruggle.

Reply #156471 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Same isn't as true for other sides though. Hawks were missing an import and Campbell and did OK for a bit.

Reply #156472 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

That is it, three class acts, then next best probably mottram.

Reply #156475 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Isaac, I think our problem is we do rely on our stars too much, and much more than the other teams. With Farley and Horvath that made us seriously exposed. With a better depth this year, it just makes us 'at risk'. But in reality, I think the drop off in depth of our team is one of the worst in the league.

I agree, Maher, Davidson and Ballinger are a core group that you can build a team around. Mottram is a solid role player to round out a starting 5. Coops is fine for the limited minutes he is being asked to field this season. Sutton, Burdon and Dodman are reasonable choices to round out the bench.

In the firing line: Chappell, just not doing what an import needs to do in this league. Seriously, no more slack can be cut.

Ng, as much as I like the guy, he is not a first option guard off the bench at this level, period. Unfortunately I suspect he never will be. D Joyce is the only other guard coming off the bench as a first option from any other team that is as one dimensional. Maybe Singapore also, but I am yet to see them play.

Dench, a known quantity, just doesn't give us what we need. I think we should take something from the fact that the unbeaten Tigers did not want him back. It is obvious why, he doesn't defend, doesn't rebound, doesn't go into the paint, and otherwise does what all the rest of the team bar Coops can do, which is shoot the three at a reasonable clip. Unnecessary.

Copes, well, he is adequate one week and entirely inadequate the next. It depends what form he comes out in, how long Smyth persists with him, how much foul trouble Chappell is in, and who he has to guard, but he is exposed badly in some games.

My mid-season shakeup would be to release Chappell and Dench, use the money to spend big on a 40 mpg 18 ppg 7 rpg 3-man with good defensive fundamentals and elevate Dodman into the 10.

Reply #156497 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I fail to understand why the club is putting up with under performers. What's the problem in replacing them. Surely they would not have to payout contracts of players who are not delivering what they were hired to deliver. At the same time, surely they would not think it was a risk to introduce new players when they are to replace those not performing anyway. What have you really got to lose. Other teams have made a success of replacing players mid season.

Reply #156505 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Besides Chappell, who else could you replace? Not a whole lot of quality Australian players sitting around waiting for a call. Newley, Kickert, Nielsen, Andersen and Ryan are all playing in Europe. Who did you have in mind?

Reply #156512 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Well the Kings have successfully looked overseas in a short amount of time. Perhaps we could get some tips from them. Don't laugh at this suggestion, but if Farley was free and prepared to come and play out the season with us, I would prefer him over Chappell.

Reply #156518 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

I agree with the suggestion that its not so much that we rely so much on Brett but rather after our first four players, the drop off to the next tier of players is immense.

Brett was never supposed to play so many minutes, but then Davidson got injured, and the other guards have just not advanced that much. Brett just had to bleed for his club once again. And those torn calves, they are an absolute pain to rehab.

Reply #156545 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

This would be the time to grab some young kid from SEABL or the Big V and give him a burn for 6 games. Tell him he's playing for a contract next year and remove the reins.

Hell, this season is shot anyway. Lets develop (is that a curse word with the 36ers) some young guys for next year.

I see a name from the past is playing in the SEABL, David Smith (ex Tiger). He was a great talent, give the SEABL rebounding champion Jason Eversteyn a run, or Daniel George from Hobart. DJ Taylor could be another guy.

Reply #156593 | Report this post

what the?  
Years ago

Why would Phil do this?

If he isn't going to be in Adelaide next year, why would he develop players for anoter coach?

Reply #156599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1 his job is to serve the club
2 might still be coach

Reply #156600 | Report this post

what the?  
Years ago

Blooding players isn't going to help him win.

He can only keep his job if he wins now.

I agree that he shoud have developed players like Hill, Holmes and Foreman.

He might be in a position where there was sufficient depth to not run Maher into the ground, or need to sign Dench or Copeland.

Unless you are expecting Mal to tell him who is going to play, he will only play thoes guys that give him the best chance of winning now and keeping his job.

Reply #156601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

shouldn't he have the clubs interest in mind first? longterm as well as shortterm?

Reply #156605 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

What plyers have in fact been developed by Phil to any large degree? Can someone please give me an answer to this question.

Reply #156609 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Search around. Has been discussed a number of times in the past. Subjective issue and doesn't really get anywhere in a hurry.

Reply #156610 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

Thanks Isaac, I just get sick of seeing guys sitting on benches during games where we are either being killed or actually way out front in a game (like last Saturday late in the game). I am sure that the fans actually enjoy seeing the younger guys get on court in those circumstances. You can drill guys all you like at practice, but nothing beats real minutes.

Reply #156612 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

One other thing too Isaac, you do a great job with this site - thanks from all the contributors.

Reply #156614 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not disagreeing re young guys getting garbage minutes at all, just pre-empting the Smyth development argument (I could pre-write 10 comments which would cover much of the gamut of opinions on the issue).

Used to like seeing Truslove get a run and enjoyed watching GOAT Dodman play in the pre-season FWIW.

Reply #156616 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Dodman playing would spell the end of the season.

Reply #156722 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What did Burdon playing spell?

Or are you saying that the season was over in the pre-season? :P

Reply #156724 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Hey Issac has Oscars game improved or developed since leaving his stats dont show it and his last game here didnt so is his coach worse or just a better bs artist.

Reply #156755 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hello there troll. I think it's improved incrementally, just playing a different role and not shooting very well in all but a couple of games this season. I do know that he's happy over there with his role, rapport with the coach, etc - wouldn't have signed for three years away from family and friends otherwise.

I can see that you've posted a few anonymous diatribes against Stacker today, many posts in support of Smyth in the past, against Paul Bauer (including one giving him crap for not making the Members Day when he had a very good reason for not being there), against Ryan Kersten (still believe what you said about him months ago? Looks like he's doing OK to me.) and Scott Ninnis. Vendetta?

Reply #156781 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:01 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754