Years ago

NH - My Computer Turns Itself Off

I have a computer that is about 2 years old. Everything runs fine on it, and it doesn't have any viruses, but there's one problem - it randomly turns itself off.

I'll turn it on, everything will be normal, and then about 15 minutes later, it'll just turn itself off, just as though someone flicked an off switch. When I turn it on again, it'll run until just before the login screen, where it'll reset itself. It'll then run until just before the login screen again, until which time it'll then turn itself off again.
I've figured out that after this, I can leave it for about 6-7 minutes, turn it on again, and it'll work. But then, after about another 30-40 minutes, it'll turn itself off again, with the break needed before it works again being about 15 minutes.

I know it might seem a bit ridiculous to need to be using your computer for hours at a tme uninterupted, but sometimes I want to leave my computer on to listen to music, or to watch a DVD, to chat to friends on MSN, or even write up an assignment, and this obviously interrupts it.

I don't play games on my computer, or run any programs that would cause any problems as far as I can tell. My 80GB hard drive is barely 1/2 full as well. It doesn't really seem to be overheating or anything. I'm not real knowledgeable on the technical side of computers, so I haven't fiddled with anything there to cause this as far as I can tell.

Can someone with a bit of computer knowledge possibly please assist me with this very annoying problem?

Topic #13562 | Report this topic

bluey  
Years ago

Sounds like a heat problem. Open the computer up and run it without the case on, see if that extends the life of your computer. Then start looking around to see if any of your fans are full of dust.

Reply #158265 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Take it in somewhere for repairs - obviously something malfunctioning that might be beyond 'internet diagnosis'!

Reply #158298 | Report this post

Mel Gibson  
Years ago

I'm with bluey, heat or faulty power supply. Get it checked dude!

Reply #158302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I had an almost identical problem half way through last week (I made a thread on here as well, asking for help). I took it in to "Computer Depot" on Unley road and they said they have it back to me completely fixed (for $120) on Monday. They guys at Computer Depot really are brilliant so I highly recommend them.

Reply #158319 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Eh 3, did you have success with solving your shutdown problem? Dust, fans & Power Supply as mentioned should've been on the money.
Hope all went well.

Reply #164298 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:36 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754