Ingles13
Years ago

Blaze's Hawkins out for season

Spotted this on nbl.com.au

"Gold Coast Blaze small forward Juaquin Hawkins has suffered a minor stroke and will be unable to play for the rest of the HUMMER Championship season.

The Gold Coast Blaze stressed that the very popular American is resting comfortably at home with his family and it is expected that he will make a full recovery.

Hawkins has indicated that he will stay in Australia for the rest of the season to be close to his teammates while he recuperates.

The Blaze will replace Hawkins for the remainder of the season and have already started their search. The club will make an announcement about Hawkins replacement very shortly."

That seems like a major blow for the Blaze. He has fitted in well and the new import might create some chemistry problems.

Topic #14120 | Report this topic

D16  
Years ago

That is horrible, i hope he has a quick and speedy recovery.

Reply #165409 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bad news for Hawkins

even worse for the Blaze

Reply #165411 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

New import will be with the team within 24 hours

Also reported that Hawkins career is over as it is not expected he will be able to play at a comptetative level ever again.

Horrible news for Hawk and also the Blaze - he was a genuine nice guy and crowd favourite who brought all the little things to the team that you need to be a success.

Reply #165414 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wonder if they or the Cats would go for Josh Pace? I just want to see if he can cut it at NBL level! Edit: Cats are already trialling Shipp, so maybe not them.

Reply #165416 | Report this post

TP  
Years ago

This has been a season for some serious health problems. First Shannon collapsing, now Hawkins suffering a stroke. Lets hope thats the last of it!

Reply #165417 | Report this post

drB  
Years ago

Very sad news, i wish him and his family all the best.

Reply #165422 | Report this post

Max  
Years ago

Isaac, are you kidding me?
Of course Pace can compete at ANBL Level. He was an integrate Part of leading Syracuse to the NCAA Tournament and a Final Four spot. He was MVP of last year'S NZNBL ahead of guys like Jason Crowe, Pero Cameron, Casey Frank. And all those 3 players are capable ANBL players, therefore i see why you think he cannon cut it.

Reply #165427 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Orien Greene played in the NBA and has been a mixed bag to date, right? Sometimes the style of the league doesn't fit as well as you think it might. I'd just like to see Pace play in the league first to know for sure.

Reply #165435 | Report this post

Max  
Years ago

I understand in a way. Overall I am actually tending to agree with you about Pace. If he came into the NBL, He might actually struggle more than what people think. This is because he has such a bad jump shot, and he relies heavily on getting to the rim. He shot 50 % from the FT Line at Syracuse in each of his four years, and barely attempted a 3 point shot(He has limited range)

At the end of the day, He might really dominate the NBL but smart teams and smart players will tend to play off him and give him that jump shot. Once that happens he has nothing.
He can compete at NBL Level, but I don't think he will dominate like Imports such as Williams and Hinson have.

Reply #165449 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

How did anyone know how Hodge would fit in the NBL. That is a risk that Adelaide has taken. To date, I still don't think we know the answer to that.

Reply #165456 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

I was of the understanding that Pace wanted to stay where he was to have the best shot at an NBA gig........

Reply #165486 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Pace's agent was eager for him to stay so he could line up the commission. Pace would take a gig if it were offered. That distinction arose after Adelaide had Hodge's signature.

Reply #165490 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Isaac is right, having played NBA these days or even at a big college does not guarantee an import will make it in our NBL. In fact I would say some of the more enduring and successful imports to have had an impact in the NBL have come from small US college programs. The best example of this is a player from a few years ago who came from a div.2 college and is a legend of the game here. Who is it? None other than Leroy Loggins!

Reply #165520 | Report this post

Tap Twist Snap  
Years ago

Sad for the Hawk that his time with the Blaze has ended the way it has. His form had dipped over the last month or so though, to the point where I thought he might have been cut and the "sickness" last week was just an excuse. It's a shame for him but might be a blessing for the Blaze and their chances in the finals. I really hope the blaze replace him with an import with a bit of size who can play in close.

Reply #165586 | Report this post

LongShot  
Years ago

They've found their replacement. It's on their website.

Reply #165737 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:51 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754