Darius Rice likely to join Singapore Slingers

6'10" Small forward "Darius Rice has been invited to the San Antonio Spurs camp in July but will join the Slingers if he is not given a playing contract by the Spurs"

Darius Rice shot 52 points in the 2006-07 D - league final for Dakota Wizards. In that match he was in the team as Corey Williams

More details on www.singaporeslingers.com

Topic #15996 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is great news!
Only one more import left for singapore? Any thoughts DWG?
But they need a thug who can take on Chris Anesty
Any thoughts?
Dusty Rychart still isnt signed what about him?
Did Darius Rice play in the NBA, could he be a new Julius Hodge within the nbl?
hope to see more news about the slingers

Reply #188319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well I checked out his page on nba.com and it has a picture of him in a cavs singlet but no stats at all so I'm gussing that he was drafted by cleveland and never got a game.

Reply #188324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rice's last team was in the Philippines' PBA. He was a prolific scorer, racking up 52 points for his first game and averaging in the 30's. He was cut by his team since he was a bit of a ball-hog and stat-chaser-- he put up good numbers, but didn't let the other four guys on-court get involved.

Reply #188328 | Report this post

Anonymous . Re Rice time in the PBA it is important to remember that most PBA teams wants to have big import players who can primarily rebound and hence let the scoring be done by the locals. This is a major recent why most of the successfull imports in the PBA are in fact Centers and not small forward or guards. I have also seen the statements in the local press about Rice being a ball hog in the PBA but to be fair to him most of these statements were made mainly because he team (and the media) expecting him to be a role player and let some of the locals shine from his rebounding . No doubt Rice will play a different role in a NBL team and inparticular if and when the Slingers get their big import center .

Have a look at Rice's game on http://www.viddler.com/explore/jjg0290/videos/38/

Reply #188333 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

I would expect Rice to be a great 'publicity' player for the Slingers much in the same way Hodge was for Adelaide last year (he may not be as multi-talented as Hodge however).

I'd pay to watch him play because he has put some decent NBA game time together over the years. He is a D-League/NBA bench player who has called a number of destinations home for brief periods of time (including Miami during their Championship season..I think?).

I thought being stats conscious was a pre-requisite to being an import.

Reply #188346 | Report this post

Rice certainly is not as multi talented as Hodge but he offers some nice qualities.

He is mainly a good shooter (inparticular 3 pointers)but also a good ball handler who reads reads the game and runs the floor well. Rice still has work to do on defence and offensive rebounding if he wants to make it in the NBA so expect Rice to be more of quality role player than superman when he joins the Slingers.

Ultimately, like most imports, his real value will to a large extend depend upon his attitude and willingness to part of the team on and off the court -and here he has some big shoes to fill after Grizzard !

Reply #188347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can you please stop refering to Grizzard's shoes ... we know that he needs a new pair when he goes to the Tigers ...

Reply #188380 | Report this post

Fm  
Years ago

The fact that Rice played in the PBA is another good fans support point. As with Mike Helms, the Philliphino workers in Singapore already knew who he was and wanted to see him play. Darius Rice will no doubt bring in those crowds automatically.

Reply #188399 | Report this post

FM , any ideas about who the import center will be ?

Reply #188400 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:51 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754