curtleyambrose
Years ago

Jawai traded to Toronto

Nate sent to raptors as part of Jermaine Oneal trade, great international team.

Topic #16278 | Report this topic

curtleyambrose  
Years ago

Toronto's reported Indigenous population is 11,370, up from the 9,895 reported in 1996.

Well Nate makes 1 more, and yes i know he's a torres strait islander, not a native american but he's still indigenous ok.

Reply #191854 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Damn wiki is quick..

"He was drafted 41st overall in the 2008 draft by the Indiana Pacers however his rights were traded to the Toronto Raptors in a deal that also brought Jermaine O'Neal to Toronto"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathan_Jawai

Reply #191857 | Report this post

curtleyambrose  
Years ago

they have bosh, bargnani, maceo baston, primoz brezec and now jermaine oneal - all 6 ft 10 or over for nathan to be up against for a spot. He needs two to go down for a chance to get a run.

Reply #191860 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I was hoping he'd stay with the Pacers rather than having to compete with Jermo for minutes!

If they already have Bosh, Garbajosa, Bargnani, Nesto (or was he traded to the Pacers?) and whoever else (don't they have that guy from Portland too?) they won't have time for him. Will surely be sent back to Cairns or to Europe for a year or two?

Reply #191861 | Report this post

curtleyambrose  
Years ago

they also got hibbert who's 7 ft 1 and should start playing immediately. Man i was so hoping hed get picked by the bucks.

Reply #191862 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

nooo...

Primo is gone

Garbo is gone

Rasho is gone

THere frontcourt rotation is Bosh, Jermaine, Bargnani and Jawai. He is the much needed toughness, size and rebounding they need, will get minutes and be a high impact energy player (I hope). If Bargnani decides not to play in some games, Mitchell usually shows him the bench for the rest of the game and puts in Humphries for solid minutes - but with Jawai a definite upgrade on Humphries he can surely earn a spot there.

Reply #191865 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

curtleyambrose, they picked Hibbert for the Pacers

Reply #191866 | Report this post

curtleyambrose  
Years ago

ahhh ok, thanks for that, i knew 9am drinkin was a bad idea for my ability to pay attention. Much better news in that case, im sure he'll surprise some people, unless he gets injured i see him as being a big surprise and one of the better 2nd rounders to come out of this draft.

Reply #191867 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

I don't think we can expect Jawai to beat out Humphries straight away, he's a solid bench player. I think it's an ideal situation for Jawai...forget about on the court on his first season, he'll be going against one of the leagues best big men defenders in O'neal everyday, and have to guard one of the most talented offensive big men in Bosh. Still a 2nd round pick so lets wait til he makes the 15 before we place any expectations on him for the season.

Reply #191868 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

A mate made this comment about the Raps;

"sam mitchell will be a good coach for him - was shane heal's best friend at t-wolves, so might like aussies"

Reply #191870 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What's Garbo doing now? Wiki says the Raptors bought him out. He was doing really well - surely there's room for him in the NBA somewhere?

I was thinking of Viktor Khryapa. Was with Portland and then got sent to Europe by the Bulls.

Where's Primoz going? Another Euro that had some great moments (with Charlotte?) and now barely gets minutes.

Kad,

was shane heal's best friend at t-wolves
I think you spelled "only" wrong. ;)

Reply #191871 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I would like to think he will make the final 15 and see some minutes.

Reply #191872 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I think the chances of getting a gig will be more difficult in Toronto than Indiana.

Reply #191874 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

"was shane heal's best friend at t-wolves"

great, so he thinks all Aussies are dickheads..

Reply #191880 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Isaac, Garbo's heading back to Spain. That injury killed his NBA career. And now he is free to play at the Olympics.

Reply #191882 | Report this post

PHD in SHot  
Years ago

was that the deal involving TJ ford aswell?

Reply #191883 | Report this post

PHD in SHot  
Years ago

it actually says on wiki:

He was drafted 41st overall in the 2008 draft by the Indiana Pacers however it has been proposed that his rights be traded to the Toronto Raptors in a deal that will also bring Jermaine O'Neal to Toronto.

so its been proposed not actually confirmed he may still be a pacer there is no news of him being traded on NBA.com

Reply #191889 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

as Larry Bird said "it is all just speculation at this stage"

Reply #191893 | Report this post

PHD in SHot  
Years ago

also certain trades such as the jawai and oneal trade etc wont be announced until the 9th of july.

In interviews with a variety of media outlets, Jermaine O'Neal confirmed his widely reported trade to Toronto (along with possibly the No. 41 pick) in exchange for the No. 17 pick used on Georgetown center Hibbert as well as veterans T.J. Ford, Rasho Nesterovic and a player to be named, reported to be Baston. Neither the Pacers nor Raptors could officially comment on the deal because Ford's contract carries a base-year compensation tag which does not expire until July 1, which also happens to be the day the NBA's moratorium on transaction announcements begins. That moratorium lifts on July 9.

http://linky.com.au/ycmdg

Reply #191897 | Report this post

Jordan  
Years ago

The reason it is only 'proposed' is that TJ Ford is some-sort of special restricted player who cannot be traded before July 9 (I cannot remember the offical type!).

However, the trade is a done deal, NBA head office has no issues with it, so come July 9 Jawai will be a Raptor!

Reply #191898 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

MEDIA RELEASE

JAWAI SELECTED IN SECOND ROUND  NBA DRAFT

In exciting news for basketball fans across the country, Bamaga product and Skytrans Cairns Taipans star Nathan Jawai has been selected early in the second round of the NBA Draft at No: 41 by the Indiana Pacers. Indiana are now involved in a complicated trade deal with the Toronto Raptors which includes Nathan Jawai.

Skytrans Cairns Taipans head coach Alan Black; after speaking with Jawai's agent Mark Fleischer, said it is highly probable Jawai will be in Toronto Raptors colours next season;
"Jim Kelly who is the head scout for Toronto was in Cairns last year to see Nathan play and we know that the Raptors are very impressed with Nathan. After talking with Nathan's agent he has been told by Toronto that they want Nathan to play with the club in the NBA next season, which is fantastic news for Nathan. The full trade will take about a week to finalise, but it now looks highly probable that Nathan has achieved his dream and will be playing with the Toronto Raptors in the NBA."

The news is undoubtably the biggest moment in Jawais basketball career and in the Skytrans Cairns Taipans clubs history. Jawai could now line up alongside and against some of the worlds biggest sporting stars next season in the biggest sporting show on earth  the NBA.

Skytrans Cairns Taipans CEO Denis Keeffe said it was a great occasion for not only Nathan but also the Taipans and the people of Far North Queensland;
"We are all excited by Nathans selection. I know most of the staff arrived at work today excited and nervous and there was just this electric atmosphere in the office as we all watched the draft live on ESPN. To be selected in the top 41 young players on the planet is a great achievement for Nathan. He has worked extremely hard and to see how this kid has developed from a shy youngster from Bamaga through the Taipans Academy, AIS, US College system and last year with the Taipans in the NBL shows what tremendous drive and determination he has along with the amazing talent we have in our region. We have been saying for a long time now about what a fantastic basketball program we have in place at the Taipans  our youth development is first class through our Academy and we are moulding and giving our local youth a realistic shot at a career in basketball."

Skytrans Cairns Taipans head Coach Alan Black said the news on Jawais selection would now enable the Taipans to finalise its playing roster for next season;
"Everyone should be extremely proud of what Nathan has achieved in getting this far. He has overcome some massive hurdles and now it is all there in front of him. I know all the Taipans staff, owners, coaches and players are very proud of Nathan and we wish him well. Now that the draft is over we will be able to finalise our roster. We didn't want to announce anything until after the draft out of respect for Nathan, but I am sure that we will be able to announce our final two players within the next week. We will have an exceptionally strong team and are looking forward to the opening game."

Reply #191899 | Report this post

Jordan  
Years ago

Nevermind, PHD beat me to it

Reply #191900 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

I believe the term is a 'base year player'..not sure exactly the specifics but ill take a stab in the dark and say his contract doesnt kick in til July 9 hence him not being able to be traded. Larry Bird was very tight lipped but all reports are its a done deal, even Jermaine himself said so.

What was up wit Bird anyway he looked like his wife had just left him...

Reply #191904 | Report this post

WOODY  
Years ago

PRIMOZ BREZEC WILL GET WAIVED THE RAPTORS HAVE JUST WAIVED JORE GARBOSA AND AHVE TRADED RASHO NESTEROVIC

SO WITH JO AND BOSH STARTING IN THE FRONT COURT

JAWAI WILL MAKE THE ROSTER AND PLAY MINUTES ALTHOUGH HE WILL BE COMETING WITH BARGNANI

(Mod: Competing even....)

Reply #191907 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

DENNIS COMETING?

Reply #191908 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

no no DB Hayley's Cometing

Reply #191909 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Chad Ford's comment on Jawai:

The Pacers are selecting Jawai for the Raptors. The Raptors got big with Jermaine O'Neal and they just got bigger with Jawai -- a huge player from Australia who looks like a bigger version of Elton Brand. Even though he's wide, he's pretty quick on his feet. He was a player in Australia, but it's a big leap to the NBA.

Reply #191916 | Report this post

tickle  
Years ago

Jawai will be a good complement to Bosh and O'Neal. Kind of like Powe/Big Baby to Garnett in Bawston.

Reply #191926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i've said before he weren't gonna get picked first round.i would be conserved about him if i was aus media cos you read papers in the states, his name's hardly mentioned anywhere (bit like a nobody no offence)

Reply #191941 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

he has a chance to learn like Zach Randolph did from Sheed when he was at Portland... hopefully he can take the beatings in training and turn them into big games on the court... think he will surprise a few people over there, kind of like Moon did last year

Reply #191951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I doubt Jawai will get that many minutes in the NBA this year. He'll probably spend a fair bit of time in the D League I'd imagine.

Reply #191952 | Report this post

BarkoftheDog  
Years ago

at best Nathan Jawai will be Steven Hunter with Free Throws.

that's not bad from someone coming from the NBL.

Reply #191959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Except Steven Hunter has a totally different body shape, and doesn't rely on power like Jawai. He'll probabl;y be a poor man's version of Kendrick Perkins or Desagana Diop.

Reply #191979 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

Except for the fact Perkins and Diop have no offensive game whatsoever, and that Jawais game is more offensively gifted than defensively gifted

Reply #191982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I doubt Jawai will have that much of an impact at either end right off the bat.

Reply #192021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

that's RIDICULOUS calling Perkins and Diop having no offensive game...this is the NBA you're talking about, those guys coming to NBL they'll be killing it over here!

Reply #192032 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

Diop isnt even coordinated enough to have a half decent looking jumpshot, let alone make anything outside a layup or dunk. Yes its the NBA, but he made it because hes 7 foot with a ridiculous wingspan as well as being a token shot blocker and rebounder. Now Jawai is in the NBA because of his size/athleticism combo, matcheed with his skill, soft touch, jumpshot, post moves etc. Its a terrible comparison

Reply #192034 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Diop is absolutely putrid on offence. Probably one of the few NBA players that can brick a lay-up constantly.

If Jawai can make himself into a Perkins-type player then he'll be doing all right. If anything Jawai's offensive game is a little more developed than Perkins. Perkins relies on tip-ins, positioning, hustle and being the other big when teams are worried about KG, PP and Ray.

Reply #192044 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

NBA website:

http://linky.com.au/g2v90

NBA Director of Scouting Marty Blake analyzes this year's draft...

"Nathan Jawai  He's a big, strong banger. Worked out for a lot of teams. He's ready to play. I think he has the ability to play some minutes right away."

Reply #192061 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Raptors website:

http://linky.com.au/d7xyk

Reply #192062 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:36 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754