s vidmar
Years ago

Mike Parsons not well

This was just posted on the North Adelaide Football Club website.

He was a coach of mine and a great team mate.

Sad news indeed, made a big impact on the early NBL and SEABL years, SANFL, AFL.

Gave me more elbows to thead than any player I have every played against.

Pull through big fella.

............................................................................................................

In Relation To Michael Parsons
This notice serves to inform Rooster fans that 1987 Premiership ruckman {and Jack Oatey Medallist}, Michael Parsons is gravely ill in Sydney.

An e-mail received by our Club this morning indicated that Michael is suffering from a brain tumour.

I am sorry to have to convey this sad news to our members / fans.

Topic #16423 | Report this topic

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

He was a very big part of the Murray Bridge Bullets giving the SEABL title a crack. Sad news indeed.

Reply #193424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

get well big mike. you were and still are a rooster
champion. north adelaide grog sqaud.

Reply #193541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

a champion at basketball and a champion at footie
but most of all a champion bloke.

get well big fella. regards barrel.

Reply #193543 | Report this post

d parker  
Years ago

you never gave up on the court, or the footie
field. so dont give up now big fella. show us
your fight to go on. plus i still think i owe
you one more drink.
keep figthing. spider

Reply #193544 | Report this post

Terry B  
Years ago

Good news! A very dear friend of mine spoke to Bristle yesterday. He had an operation to remove a tumour but had a stroke on the table. He came back and is on the road to recovery. The big tough bugger will keep on fighting! Go Bris!

Reply #194035 | Report this post

Leigh Smart  
Years ago

Hi Mike
sorry to hear you are in the wars, get well soon.
best regards
Leigh Smart

Reply #223777 | Report this post

Jim  
Years ago

Posted on the North Adelaide Football Club Website today..........

The North Adelaide Football Club is shocked and greatly saddened by the loss of one of its Premiership heroes in Michael Parsons. Michael passed away in hospital on 24 th April, 2009 {at approximately 7:00 am}, his sad passing caused by a brain tumour.

Born on 3 October 1960, Michael played some football as a child but chose to continue with a very promising basketball career. He was unlucky to miss a spot in the Australian team in the 1980 Olympic Games but by 1983 was discussing returning to football with some mates. The conversation was overheard by North Adelaide senior coach, Michael Nunan, and Nunan immediately approached Parsons to entice him to try out with North. He was an immediate success, playing only one reserves game before being elevated to the league team.

A giant of a man at 203 cm, Parsons partnered Michael Redden in ruck for North and the two formed a most formidable combination. They were a crucial part of North's revival through the mid-1980s, playing in three grand finals from 1985 to 1987. Parsons' effort in North Adelaide's glorious 1987 premiership where he played tough uncompromising football and kicked six goals was rewarded with the Jack Oatey medal for the best player on the ground.

So dominant was he in that game that he was recruited by the Sydney Swans and played in the AFL in 1988, 1989 and part of 1990 before returning to North Adelaide part way through the 1990 season. He teamed with Redden again in North's 1991 premiership team before retiring at the end of the 1992 season. He played 158 games for North Adelaide and kicked 196 goals in his illustrious career.

Parsons has lived and worked in Sydney for the last few years but returned to Adelaide in August 2007 to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the 1987 premiership with his teammates. He was interviewed at the celebration dinner and it was very clear that he held vivid and fond memories of that triumph. Equally clear was the enormous respect in which he was held by his teammates and the hundreds of members and supporters who gathered to honour the team that night.

Michael will be sadly missed by his many friends and colleagues at the North Adelaide Football Club. The Club extends its sincere condolences to his family.

The Club salutes one of its great champions........Vale Michael Parsons.

Reply #232769 | Report this post

beaniebear  
Years ago

Vale Mike Parsons. A big man but an even bigger presence.

Reply #232775 | Report this post

Paul G  
Years ago

I never meet Mike but watched with interest his footy career with North Adelaide and the Swans. I know how hard it is dealing with having a brain tumour and the effects it has on family and just every day life while you are going through treatment etc. Sorry to hear the passing and I extend my sincere condolences to his family.

Reply #232777 | Report this post

Deamer  
Years ago

Michael you where a great teacher, mentor and an inspiration to a lot of people and will be missed by your many friends and colleagues. You had a wonderful outlook on life which is evident by your many achievements, professionally and personally. Your where my best friend, always there to listen without judging, giving advice when you could, encouraging me in my own endeavours. I miss you very much.

Reply #233168 | Report this post

Ross & Sue  
Years ago

Bristle and I didnt see each other much in the last few years but it was great to catch up at the boat show. He was a good mate and distant cousin, we were good friends before we even knew we were related.
You will be sadly missed old mate. Love to your family.
Cheers Ross, Sue, Jess & Emm

Reply #233240 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:22 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754