meNOunderstand
Years ago

Zone press - what are the rules?

Is a half court zone press the same as a zone.
I know of an U12 Div 2 team that was warned for playing a zone on the weekend when they were playing a zone press.

They had 2 players pushing up the floor one at half way on a player and two in the back court on players but were warned for playing a zone.

I heard the UIC's explanation telling the coach that because the 2 players going back did not pick up a player they were in a zone (players from the onfensive team did get there eventually).

Is this the correct ruling because teams do this every week.

Topic #16854 | Report this topic

Skin  
Years ago

I would just suggest that the umpire has NFI!

Reply #198291 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

Dumb assed UIC.

If four players on the offensive team go and stand at half way and their respective defensive players have to go to "defend" them, does that mean the other offensive player can play one on one under the basket?

Reply #198311 | Report this post

DavidK  
Years ago

I can actually understand why they decided against zone at this age group.. and variations of it. It kills the game and doesn't let them develop their games and skills. Man on man only until the 14's.

Reply #198322 | Report this post

-  
Years ago

Arguably, any press is actually a zone based offense..
Not to say that I agree with this particular refs decision, as the ban is really aimed at stamping out 2-3 and 3-2 zones in the quarter court.

Reply #198325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What does everyone think of playing traps in Under tens?

Reply #198342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who does that in U 10's

Reply #198343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Extract from Junior by Laws.

For the purposes of simple identification of a "zone defence", once the
defence has moved into position in the opposition's front court, it must
be obvious that each player is defending an opponent, e.g., if a cutter
moves through the keyway in offence, a defensive player must move
with that player.

Reply #198350 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:55 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754