PHD in Shot
Years ago

OKC team name

OKC announced last night the team name would be the "thunder" new logo and colurs were also released

http://www.nba.com/thunder/

linky didnt work

what does everyone think?

Topic #17204 | Report this topic

oooh  
Years ago

thunder sounds too scary. How about something spicey amd gorgeous like Panthers, Pumas or Flamingos

Reply #202725 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

I think the team name is a bit too "WNBA D League", that the colour scheme is lame and the logo sucks. The NBA's decision to move the franchise license was bad one imo, I would have run with one less team in the league until the Seattle Supersonics brand returns which they inevitably will.

Reply #202736 | Report this post

oooh  
Years ago

there's nothing wrong with the WNBA honey. it's great that there is a merge (in glorious colours and design and fashion). it's equality for all things. it's not the 19th century. a touch of pink in the sunset would be nice but orange is good second best. The only thing is the name Thunder is not too good perhaps call them the Sunsets or Comets instead

Reply #202738 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

Lucky they're not an Australian team, opposition fans would be calling them the "OK Chunder" in no time.

Reply #202739 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Is this a WNBA or NBA franchise...

Sounds very much like WNBA.

Reply #202740 | Report this post

Bulldog  
Years ago

They should have gone with the Oklahoma City Bombers

Reply #202743 | Report this post

curtleyambrose  
Years ago

Hey Bulldog, i suggested that nickname ages ago and anyone who laughs at your suggestion needs to realise that i came up with it first. I wonder if they'll be over-playing thunderstruck by AC/DC at every home game. By the way they stole the Gold Coast Blaze colours.

(Mod: Not sure if this was intentionally funny, but it did make me laugh.)

Reply #202752 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Broken record alert, but this annoys me more than just about anything else in professional sports.

Why a special meeting of the United Nations hasn't been convened to discuss - and more importantly, act on - the world going to immediate and eternal hell for its continual use of team nicknames that don't end with 's' is beyond me.

How is Kevin Durant meant to introduce himself: as an Oklahoma City Thunder? A Thund? It just doesn't make sense. (Saw a proposed alternative nickname on the web for OKC as the 'Durantulas', which I quite liked).

I'll even start with a draft wording of a resolution:

'We, the United Nations, hereby resolve to ban immediately forthwith the insidious blight of using singular titles instead of plurals for sporting team nicknames.

'Offending organisations will be forced to field the people who came up with the name as their actual team, rather than the players they would have otherwise used.'

Reply #202754 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

What will they nickname their stadium - "The Thunderbox"?

Reply #202755 | Report this post

william 13  
Years ago

Take it easy curtley - it's just a joke. Who cares who came up with it first? Now get back to class, your primary school teacher is calling.

Reply #202757 | Report this post

curtleyambrose  
Years ago

I'l start taking it easy when my tasteless humour is acknowledged.

Reply #202807 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You got a ball, so you can relax now!

Reply #202826 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Suddenly that name is looking awesome compared to the Gold Coast... somethings.

Reply #202974 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:22 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754