Isaac
Years ago

NBL Players' Assoc: NBL not doing enough

Mat Campbell, veteran of the NBL, player for the Wollongong Hawks and a representative of the NBL Players' Association says the league must not forget the 2008/09 season.

"All this new stuff's coming out and they're worried about what's going to happen next year, and they should put more effort into focusing on now.

"How do we generate some support?

How do we generate some enthusiasm media-wise, on the bigger scale for the NBL?"
He correctly notes that it will make for an easier transition if fans from the current NBL do not fall away and make for a bigger deficit that a new league needs to make up.

He also expresses frustration at feeling kept in the dark on some matters relating to the future of the league.
Campbell said the NBL wasn't sufficiently keeping players up to date with the latest developments.

"There are questions I passed on to the NBL myself, and they don't have any answers for that at the moment, and that's sort of the problem," he said.

"They're going to have us in on the talks when they actually have them, but they need to start feeding those kinds of things through now, and reassure people out there that we're going to have jobs. You've got guys with mortgages and kids that are worried now because we don't know how many teams are going to be there.

"You don't want to have guys playing professional basketball at the top level in Australia worrying about what's happening next year. For the competition to survive, you need people focusing on playing hard and giving the best spectacle we can for the fans so they keep coming back and the sponsors come."
It might, however, be a case of the league not being able to say much at this stage.

A vote by stakeholders, scheduled for sometime in October, has been pushed back to November 8.
The Illawarra Mercury has more comments from Campbell.

Topic #17645 | Report this topic

HAHA  
Years ago

Isaac, what has come of the Oct 11 Board Meeting and discussions on whether anything has been agreed upon with the Review findings?
I am following up but am yet to hear anything thus far.

Reply #207288 | Report this post

Number 44  
Years ago

From all accounts that I have been hearing the 36ers will not be in the new nbl. The amount of money required to get the team started and continue is beyond the current owner and I can't see anyone in SA wanting to pump the approx 4-5m needed.

The new NBL I believe will consist of the following 8 teams, if they start well Adelaide could be one of the extra two to come into the league 1-2 years later.

Perth
Melbourne Tigers
South Dragons
Sydney
Brisbane or Gold Coast
Cairns
Townsville
New Zealand

If GC and Brisbane have seperate teams then the Cains and Townsville would have to combine or one leave.

Reply #207298 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

HAHA, got postponed until Nov 8. Maybe some concerns about the money expected of owners?

Number 44, you don't want to buy them?

Reply #207300 | Report this post

Mal  
Years ago

Maybe I should have sold when I had the chance, rather than just hold out for more $$.

Reply #207302 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

No 36ers?
You've got to be ******* joking!
SA and VIC are pretty much where the bulk of ballers come from.
Anything less than the 36ers in the new League will be a stab in the heart to Aussie ball.
I wonder if they can get the new League to be popular without a heart?

Reply #207309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That would be a great start to the league, get rid of the team which has been most dominant, consistently best crowd numbers and sponsorship.

Basketball Australia isn't that incompetent...

...oh wait

Reply #207311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If it comes to money, i think you will see a new owner for the 6ers....there a re a couple lurking around...i have already heard of offers o the 6ers but they refused asking for a $2M profit on what the current owner paid...

Reply #207316 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

I don't think it comes down to wanting to get rid of the Sixers, it's about the almighty $.

Under the new NBL I believe that owners are required to give the league in the order of 4-5million to get the league started. Very similar to the A-League.

I can't see many current owners liking this idea, they lose their current license and have to spend a crap load on a new one.

Reply #207317 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

I think Campbell really has a point; personally I've lost a whole lot of interest in NBL cos it seems so much a joke (no offence but you look it, how the hell you can have a tigers current line up etc) have actually turned more to WNBL recently (and of course can't wait to start of NBA) which isn't quite as exciting as men's however at least it's on ABC and somewhat more organized than those guys in NBL...

Reply #207323 | Report this post

HeadacheScottie?  
Years ago

A restructured NBL without an Adelaide based team ?

It's an effort to keep in touch with the league as it is now, if this rumor were to come to pass my interest in Australian basketball would be non-exsistant.

Here's hoping that's a joke, right ?

Reply #207334 | Report this post

Number 44  
Years ago

It is not a joke. And as for Mal wanting $2M more then he paid, that is utterly not true. If you offered Mal $1 for the team he would take it. He can't afford to keep losing money as it is for another season.

Unfortunately there is not many people in Adelaide with the amount of money that is needed for the new league and those that do have the funds just aren't interested in basketball.

It has to be someone with pockets full of cash that would outlay the $4-5M that is needed plus take on any other losses. Right now corporate Australia just aren't spending any money on sponsorship so it will be a tough road for the new NBL to move forward.

Reply #207344 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

#44, depends how you judge what the owner paid and if you include the upgrades made since purchase.

Reply #207345 | Report this post

ExWhy  
Years ago

I'm quite sure the offer was for the original price tag Mal got the team for...as for expenses since then, thats all well and good,,,but you can ask for total refund and some....not in the nbl anyway...

Reply #207349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

6.5m

Reply #207353 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Who was saying $3 mil next season and about $7 mil the year after?
What are those figures based on?

Reply #207355 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I've been going on some numbers mentioned on OzHoops by a potential investor. They are not as exaggerated as what you've just quoted, but not insignificant either.

Reply #207390 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Ok thanks Isaac- I just remember hearing something along those lines but couldn't trace where I'd heard it.

Reply #207408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide have..

> Lewis Family
> Ron Bassett/Paul Bell Consortium
> Peregrine Corporation

It would be a great oppurtunity for them to come together and have a stake. I think Adelaide has the potential to generate $8 million for a license, but it would take alot of work.

Reply #207456 | Report this post

ExWhy  
Years ago

In todays paper the team was $3.9 with the dome yeah? Mal and Groves pitched in to buy it....wonder what it they would get for it now...

Reply #207484 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:58 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754