Isaac
Years ago

36ers vs Taipans, Jan 16

Here's the NBL's Fast Facts for the game:

CAIRNS TAIPANS VS ADELAIDE 36ERS
Cairns Convention Centre
Friday January 16

2009 meetings: Round 8: Taipans 71 def Sixers 70 @ Adelaide; Round17: Sixers 107 def Taipans 86 @ Adelaide

All-time record: Taipans 12, Sixers 17

Adelaide are just the second team to attempt the 'Sunshine Swing' this year on consecutive nights. In Round 12, Sydney beat Cairns on Friday night but went down to the Crocs on the Saturday. New Zealand won both games in Round Nine but did have a three-day break in between matches.

This will be the sixth time that the Sixers have attempted this road double and they have never won both games. Their first three attempts, (2000, 2002, 2004) they split the results but their last two (2006, 2007) have seen them return with two losses on both trips.

In the four matches since new coach Mark Beecroft has taken over and the loss of imports Larry Abney and Dave Thomas, Cairns are averaging just 83.8 ppg with Ian Crosswhite leading their scoring and rebounding over that span at 14.8 points and 5.5 rebounds per game. Luke Schenscher's 16 rebounds last week was the equal most anyone has boarded against the Taipans this year.

Since the start of the 2003 season, Adelaide have played 16 games in far North Queensland and won just four games with identical 2-6 records against both Cairns and Townsville.

Even though new Adelaide import Rod Grizzard has joined the team for their first trip to North Queensland for the season, he should be able to give the directions to the hotel as this will be his third trip this year  he has already visited twice as a Tiger and is undefeated as a player in Cairns after winning with Singapore there last year. His perfect record in Cairns does not extend to Townsville though where his form has been the opposite with three losses from three trips  twice with the Slingers and once with Melbourne. Grizzard's next match will be his 50th in the NBL.

With the minimum seven games to play to qualify for the finals, Rod Grizzard will have to make sure he does not get injured if he wants to qualify for this year's playoffs. It has not been uncommon for clubs to bring in a player so late in the season but few have been able to help their club rise to the next level in time.

Recent late changes:

2008: Luke Whitehead played the last nine games for the Blaze to replace Juaquin Hawkins and helped them to their first playoff match where they lost to the Crocs in Townsville

2006: Sydney introduced Sedric Webber to their team with seven games to go to replace an injury suffered by Rolan Roberts in the All-Star Slam dunk contest and he helped them get to the Grand Final, where they lost to the Tigers 0-3.

2004: Chris Carrawell came to the Kings with 11 games to go after another import Joe Brown was released after just two games to fill a whole left by a season ending injury to Jason Smith, and was a part of the Championship team when they defeated the Razorbacks 3-2 in the league's first best-of-five Grand Final series.

2004: Brisbane brought in Ben Walker with seven games to go to following Kevin Freeman's departure and they defeated the Tigers 1-0 in the Quarter Finals before going down to the Kings 0-2 in the Semis.

2003: Dusty Rychart had been released by Victoria after 14 games but was recruited by the Sixers to play the last seven games of the regular season and they lost the Elimination Final to Perth 1-2.

Topic #18722 | Report this topic

hereschenes  
Years ago

Nice write-up here from the Cairns Post, featuring an interview with everyone's favourite hair-puller:

http://linky.com.au/3cfie

Reply #221463 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

2009: The 36ers brought in Rod Grizzard to replace the best import in the league, Julius Hodge. While Hodge was busy playing X-Box and looking for an alternative gym to workout in Grizzard helped the Sixers to 5th spot on the ladder and a sweep of the Breakers in the first round of the finals. The Sixers then went on to win a nail biting series against the Tigers and then defeated the Dragons in the grand final series thanks to a Grizzard facial on Mark Worthington in the dying seconds of the game.

Reply #221466 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

I'd go back one more year Isaac: Matt Garrison at Adelaide in 2002.

Reply #221468 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

So Cat doesn't beleive we use our size well. Interesting.

"Luke Schenscher's 16 rebounds last week was the equal most anyone has boarded against the Taipans this year."

Something about POTW springs to mind as well.

Here's hoping the boys stay focussed and intense. Oh, and juror, you made my morning dude ;)

Reply #221469 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

OT - was the elimination final loss to Perth mentioned there the one when Anthony Stewart won it with a 3 from the corner? Painful memories... coming... back...

Reply #221475 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wasn't that the Cairns game?

Reply #221478 | Report this post

Coady  
Years ago

Not too mention Rod grizzard coming into the team as our second tallest player, so if they want height oh boy they got it!

Reply #221504 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Coady even if they have him at 207cms I doubt he is taller then Cooper and Ballinger. Maybe he is the same height as Ballinger but certainly not taller then Cooper.

Reply #221531 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

NBA site lists him as 203-204ish. Coops isn't as tall as some think - probably around the 204cm mark?

Reply #221547 | Report this post

kman  
Years ago

Anyone know why Crosswhite chose to shoot that free throw under arm last weekend against us. I saw the coach go off at him and bench him but don't know why the hell you would do that at that stage of the game.

Reply #221569 | Report this post

Bfresh  
Years ago

Coops is just one lanky shot blocker! Interesting I didnt know that Grizz was that tall, we are going to have some serious height. Look forward to hearing what he can do in his first few games.

Reply #221587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cooper is a waste, wont get any minutes with Grizzard coming in, and neither should he. When you try and block every shot your bound to get a couple of em. Must be the worst offensive player in the league.

Reply #221602 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Grizz confirmed he is 204cms.

Reply #221606 | Report this post

Coady  
Years ago

OK i was only going by the the 36ers website, and yeh they have him as 207,

Reply #221643 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

' Someones bumped me up a bit ' he said.

Reply #221663 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Sounds like the game is going ahead, despite exCyclone Charlotte.

Boti's Article

Schensch not training all week with the flu is a bit of a worry.

Reply #221669 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Ahh yes, that's right Isaac - that was Cairns.

More fresh Boti: http://linky.com.au/e51j3

Is it just me, or is that headline a non-sequitur? What does Perth have to do with it? Or is it supposed to be some sort of amusing pun on the word "Cat", because Cat used to play there? I'm confused.

Reply #221677 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think it might relate to Cattalini saying in the Perth media last week that he'd like to finish his career with the Cats, all while still playing for Cairns and before the Taipans are even confirmed to be gone.

Reply #221684 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

I see. Boti's always one pun ahead of me.

Reply #221730 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:08 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754