Starks
Years ago

Distant Sons - Maher replacement options

Watching last night's game, I was struck by just how much Maher means to this team.
What Maher gives to the team is the intangible qualities like confidence and leadership.
With his imminent retirement, I was wondering who would take up the role of "Heart and Soul".
You've got to think that Maher's retirement frees up a considerable amount of cash and points.
I think the Sixers need a local born and bred hero. The (basketball and broader) community loves to embrace a local.
Two names spring to mind, Brad Newley and Joe Ingles.
How is Newley doing OS? Will he ever play in Sixer blue? Do the Sixers have an option upon his return?
Is there any chance of luring Ingles from the Dragons' stable? Where is he at contract-wise?
Maybe only in a perfect world...

Topic #18818 | Report this topic

coopz  
Years ago

no chance for joe ingles i think.

he has it made over there, and now is being coaching by the boomers coach, therefore will always be in the national squad, cos goorj loves his own players.

also, he is electing for the NBA draft next year, so may end up in the same fate as newley. 2nd round pick, who is sent to europe where he will make decent money for the next 10yrs+.

newley would be great option, but i think its only a reality if hes homesick, even mahersys wage wouldnt compare to an NBA drafted player in greece.

Reply #222986 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

It would be awesome to get Newley back for sure. The big problem is getting Luke to stary here, i can't see him turning down big offers from Europe... not that i would begrudge him at all, his window for making money is small and every member of his family should be telling him to get overseas, earn coin and return for the sixers when he is older.

The team for next year must look to develop Bruce and Hill, with imports to fill the wing and at center. Not mega stars- i again pray we sign athletic players to complement the options Ballinger gives us with scoring.

Reply #222989 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

I think your star and "Heart & Soul" player might be a tad taller than that.

Assuming they can re-sign him.....Big Luke maybe?

Reply #222990 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

The ace in the hole for the sixers is Ballinger naturalising.

If Schensch goes you get after an Abney type replacement

If he stays you get a combo guard to complement the aussie talent

Reply #222992 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You've got to think that Maher's retirement frees up a considerable amount of cash and points.
Cash sure, points, not really as Maher is capped at 5 points.

I think Adelaide might need to look to Bruce or Hill to fill one starting spot in the future, and run an import in the other. When Ballinger naturalises, we will have two spots then to spare depending on what's needed at the time.

e.g., if Luke goes, use one at C, and one as PG/SG. SF is probably a pretty flexible position to fill with either Holmes, someone else, or an import.

Reply #222993 | Report this post

lilleyton  
Years ago

matthew knight, luke whitehead, liam rush i would love these type of players in the sixers.

matthew knight should def be a priority i think

Reply #223001 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

I honestly believe a lot of people all look at Bretts numbers and how we can replace him. But it is so much more. It is in leadership and standards set on and off court along with a irreplaceble ability to score when needed and when all else is failing and he suddenly gets it all going again.
But also that steadiness this team needs in setting up play etc and I must be a bit slow but this year really noticed how good his defence work is .
Dont drive past Brett too often or get easy shots.
I really dont know how this team is going toeven get to push top 4 without him. Espec. if people see Bruce as the answer as he has a long way to go before becoming a good point guard before becoming the next Brett
Convinced after seeing him last night that he could easy go another year but also hate him to go on too long like Heal.

Reply #223002 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Strange - I had the exact same reaction and discussion after last night's game.

My conclusion was the same as Isaac's - Ballinger naturalised at PF, Holmes in the other F spot (more than likely as Captain), recruit an import center to complete the front court.

In regards to the backcourt, neither Bruce nor Hill will be adequate to run the show for a whole season, especially if Davo reduces minutes or retires. I'd throw an import SG/PG in there to sure it up.

One other option came to mind - how cheap would a naturalised Darnell Mee be as a back up PG with reduced minutes as required?

Reply #223004 | Report this post

lilleyton  
Years ago

i would try sign robbins or damo martin if davo retires as they are all similar players

then try replace maher with a import like farley who can score/get to the rim when needed.

bruce isnt a maher type player more of a pass first point guard which was evident in last nights game when he passed up open looks.

i doubt grizz will b there next season unless he come up huge either in the play offs or up 2 the play offs, but he has only been here a week so things can only get better

Reply #223009 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I think say if we lose Maher, Davidson, Cooper to retirement and naturalise Ballinger, assuming eveyone else we want stays i would be promoting Burdon and Hoban and getting a import combo guard in the farley/Cortez groves mould. If we have a few points to score we could let winitana go and grab a guy like a mottram or someone of that level who is available or go for a college returnee is magden coming back??

Reply #223013 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

It is interesting that Rod Grizzard is telling anyone who will listen that he wants to stay here as long as possible.

Not sure if here is Adelaide or Australia, but i think he means both.

But yeah, i agree with Dicko, i think BiG LuKe is a heart and soul type of guy. Defensively he is already a leader, and he has shown that he wants the ball down the stretch.

Reply #223019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what about getting Ng back to fill the 2 spot, i know he may not be able to carry the team but he has really kicked on now.

Reply #223042 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Is Maher DEFINETLY retiring next year?

I dont think there is anyone who will replace that "captain courageous" feeling that Brett provides to the club and the state, unfortunately the respect and adoration that is given to Brett can only be earnt over time..and so sadly, its at least another 3-5 years before someone can step into those shoes. (Luke has potential, but..time)

Brett Maher...the ONLY sports persons name i have ever worn on my back.

what a loss he will be...is there a chance he will play limited minutes next year?

Reply #223056 | Report this post

nounsa  
Years ago

in a dream maybe me... unless he has a major MAJOR change of mind. but he's had a good non injury iterupted season to this point so i think going out fit and healthy would be ideal for brett.

Reply #223060 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

I wasnt going to say it, because so many before me have and summed it up better then my lazy typing will ever allow me to. You just CANT replace a guy like Brett Maher. Not only does he bring composer, experience, ability and leadership and Respect to the game. He is a genuine Role Model, there is no other sportsman I would want my kids to look upto as much as I would want them to respect him. Previous topics posts had the saying..."Trust in Mahersy", and when you want honesty you cant look any further.
You know with him your going to get an honest statement that will talk up everyone else in the team over himself.
He has put his heart and sole into this team, their are alot of teams around the world that would LOVE to have a player with his personnal attributes. You just cant replace 18years of dedication.

Now to see him out with a bang...WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN!!

Reply #223082 | Report this post

Shirley Schmidt  
Years ago

EC, you haven't suggested a naturalised Dusty yet ??

Reply #223083 | Report this post

The Minx  
Years ago

If we don't win it all this year - which is how things will probably turn out, I would like Maher to keep on playing and I'm wondering if he might be flirting with the idea also currently?

Reply #223099 | Report this post

Graeme_LeBroy  
Years ago

I like Bruce... give him time he could be a similar type of player like Maher, if he is near to equal or better we would be very fortunate. But I think he has the qualities to give it a shake, pity he is Victorian ;-) and not the true SA boy like Maher.

Eze could give it a run as well, but is in a similar catagory to Ng, not bad on O but gets exploited on D by bigger and more physical players in that position who start.

Reply #223107 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Starks, Joe Ingles does not = heart and soul. There is one qualification he lacks already. Brett started his rookie debut with the 36ers, Joe Ingles shunned the 36ers. The one person that comes to mind that fits that mould is Erik Burdon (Brett Maher rookie mould that is). It would be fantastic if Brett stuck it out another year giving Erik a bit more experience. Brett still has an enormous amount of value to give to the team and his time has been managed well this season meaning he has been free from injury for the most part.

Reply #223108 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

From what I recall, Joe didnt shun the 36ers, but more the other way round when he was only offered a development spot.

Reply #223113 | Report this post

The One  
Years ago

How about Isiah Victor, he would fit in well with the team. His Girlfiend is also Al Green's daughter that would be a good for both parties.

Reply #223175 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Playing what position? Bit slight for C and already got PF and maybe SF covered.

Reply #223184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If small Forawrd isn't covered then small forward, I saw Al at the Wollongong/Adelaide game and he said he would like him to come to Adelaide, if there was a spot for him. Rumour has it, he is up for 6th man of the year award.

Reply #223210 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:16 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754