Nutwork
Years ago

Adelaide in the New NBL

Has anyone put a bid in?

Can Mal afford that much cash on his own?

Has Mal get any interested backers?

Is anyone out there going to put in a bid without Mal?

As far as I know the answer to all of the above (to date) is NO. I hope I am wrong, does anyone have any information to the contrary?

Will South Aussies have to go to VIC to watch a New NBL game?

Topic #19037 | Report this topic

BINGO  
Years ago

Most of the teams cannot get the required cash. The NewBL is dead before it even began. Bad timing, considering we are in the midst of our greatest economic collapse since the 70s.

Reply #225457 | Report this post

Number 44  
Years ago

I don't believe Adelaide will have a team in the comp next year. However over the next 2-3 years I think a team may be entered if all is going well. I don't think anyone in Adelaide is willing to take a chance of this new venture. I believe Brisbane are in the same boat, sitting back to see if all goes well.

Reply #225462 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

We have to be there or there is no New NBL. Simple
There also will have to have both or either Bris. or Syd. Wont work otherwise

Reply #225466 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Adelaide 36ers will be in the league next season....IF there is a league next season.

Reply #225467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And no, Mal cant afford on his own.

Reply #225468 | Report this post

COOPZ  
Years ago

I know that these conditions are in place for club security, but if it turns out to be the difference between having a league and not having one, hopefully they might have a closer look at the new conditions, and maybe change some to help clubs like adelaide who have been around for a long time.

Reply #225472 | Report this post

why not help out woolongong as well hell they been in since day one
go the gong - rally

Reply #225477 | Report this post

COOPZ  
Years ago

i was eluding to wollongong, brisbane sydney etc when i said maybe they could bend the rules a bit for iconic NBL teams of the past.

but the problem then lies with where to draw the line, and will it put off potential new club owners.

Reply #225480 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Definately needs to be policed better.
Hawks are a prime example of a team way past it's use by date and struggling every season.
Brisbane and Sydney who haven't only just scraped together enough finance to survive by the skin of their teeth, should fit the bill of teams that ran into trouble (for different reasons) and deserve a lifeline, rather than the Hawks who want YET ANOTHER lifeline.

Reply #225483 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

Brisbane folded with the help of Eddy Groves, Sydney Kings with the help of Tim 'the crook' Johnston (Mr Firepower). Sydney Spirit with the help of their location/name/general crapness, The Gong opted out cos they cant afford the new league guidelines, Cairns likewise. I'd be very very surprised if someone didn't keep the 36ers in the new league - as an existing team however don't they forego the 1million dollar joining fee?

Reply #225487 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

We heard the same thing when the A League was first starting up. Adelaide would not have a team, no one could afford to invest in the league and look at what happened, Adelaide United was created and the league was a sucess.

If there is a league Adelaide will have a team however i am not 100% convinced that there will be a league at all at this stage.

Reply #225490 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Has anyone registered the "Adelaide Buffalos" as a name?

We might be back to the semi-pro's, the good ole SEABL.

Reply #225491 | Report this post

Number 44  
Years ago

Joe M,

Adelaide United are losing thousands of dollars per year.

They too are up for sale but if a sale doesn't happen the current owner is happy to hang onto the team for a couple of years.

That is the difference between soccer and basketball, the soccer owners can afford to have losing seasons where as basketball owners seem to come and go.

Reply #225492 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

44 - that wasn't the point. The point was, at the time we were hearing all this negative crap about how the league would fail and how Adelaide would not have a team in the league.....but as we now know, we do.

If there is a league, Adelaide will have a team because if Adelaide cannot make bassketball work, no one else in Australia can. We are the basketball benchmark and with no adelaide = no league.

Reply #225497 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

As much as is dissapointing to see them go the Gong dont get the supporters anymore although might for last game .
2 weeks ago their crowd was 1550 . Not good enough for any top league. If Cairns Sydney or Brisbane can get decent owners they will pull acceptable crowds.
I can remember going to Sixers - Bullets game at Boondall with well over 10k there .
Lets be positive that the league can get going as qlty of Aust. plyrs is high.
Wouldnt it be sad if we could not experience another game like we had on sat night. I know there wont be another Brett type retirement game but had some great games at home this year

Reply #225503 | Report this post

Years ago

1550 people though in a semi-pro league with a realistic salary cap and appropriate hire cost venue may very well be sustainable. That's the way the NBL began and looks to me the only option to revert to. The 'New NBL' as proposed, will not work with a higher salary cap and even less games than now to fund this salary cap.

Reply #225511 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

The salary cap was to go to $3mil but is now $1.2mil.

Reply #225541 | Report this post

I am Mutley  
Years ago

I would be sad to see the NBL fold. I agree, no Adelaide, no NBL. The NBL, IMO, is little more than a heart beat away from being resigned to a distant memory.

That said the one thing we do not want to do is compromise on the conditions of joining.

You can bag the current administrators of the NBL for any number of things; however the one thing they seem to have got right is to impose tough qualifying requirements to be in the NBL from next year. If there is going to be some gain, there will inevitably be some pain.

I will be quite happy to concentrate on ABL if I have to, but I don't want to see another NBL fiasco like we have had for the last 5-10 years.

Reply #225590 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Agreed Mutley, the NBL has been in an horrendous state for far too long. It's hard to take seriously, with teams folding, players coming and going all the time and ex-superstars playing well past their prime because there is no young talent to push them out to pasture.

I hope the new league can get its entry requirements right and that means all teams that are involved must be able to demonstrate a sustainable business plan - even if that means a semi-pro league like we had until the early 90s. I remember guys like Mike McKay used to work and did not rely entirely on a basketball salary. Didn't seem to stop him from being a pretty good player. I'd watch players like him again.

I also hope that the new league does only start with 8 teams, because we need to consolidate the talent, so we get consistently high level games.

A related issue I have been thinking about again lately is that clubs need to start seeking money for developing players. Part of a sustainable business model might be to change the age old attitude that sees contracted players like Newley walk away from the team to further their careers in Europe or the NBA.

As I'm sure many of you know, this is the way smaller European clubs and leagues survive (both in football and basketball).

The old attitude about not standing in the way of players making the NBA or Europe was fine while the league was semi-professional, but if we want a serious, professional league, you can't keep undermining its value by giving away talented players for free.

Reply #225999 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Good insight Mutley and Beantown great point re contracts. what is the point of a contract . Yes NBA but not Europe so many leagues of diff. standards. Most good plyrs could get some sort of Euro league spot. Brisbane and Sydney is the key if someone can get teams up there and with only 8 teams and suitable guidelines and agreements NBL can move fwd.
Always shudder when a glorified ABA is mentioned .
If we let the NBL go it is gone like Baseball and even Frank Lowrey is struggling to make soccer work .
As previously posted so much Aust. talent around

Reply #226006 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:44 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754