baller
Years ago

Fox Grand Final Coverage & Refs

How bad is the Fox coverage for the first half, they spend too much time replaying plays from 5 mins ago and miss the actual live footage. Just show the current replay and leave the other replays for timeouts or half time. The camera work is shit too.
And how bad have the refs been in the first half, they are hopeless. I dont really care about the result but just want to watch a game with decent coverage and decent refs.

Topic #19240 | Report this topic

HAHA  
Years ago

To be honest mate I'm not watching it- I just wish my girlfriend would stop giving me minute by minute updates from Fiba Live Stats!

Reply #227820 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Bradtke is shocking, but the highlight was playing "Holy Grail" for the closing credits...who would have thought a song like that could make such a great theme for a grand final.

Reply #227837 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Agree with everything baller.

The replay guy's an idiot.

The refs were disgraceful.

I have no clue why Bradtke was brought in for the GF. He is terrible and he's wearing out my mute button.

Reply #227854 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

Dito Dito - why is Scott Butler not on game 1 and for that matter all the GF games?
I am sure Carfino wants to jump into bed with Gaze. He just goes on and on about how great he was all the time. Bradke should be paying foz for a job he is soooo bad.

Reply #227870 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

Butler was and is unavailable due to work committments

Reply #227882 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Any team Gorj coaches, I hate.
Any team called Melbourne or the Tigers, i hate.
This Finals series, I hate.
I might need a hug.

Reply #227887 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Cowan made an official complaint asking that Fox not have ex Tiger players involved in the commentary of the grand final to remove any potential biase.

Obvisouly Cowan doesn't throw as much weight around as Seamus

Reply #227916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mystro,

Didn't know who to support - came down who I dislike the most Tigers and Anstey or Goor and Worthington.

In the end Anstey won by himself so im supporting the dragons!

Reply #227921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bradkte is as smooth as a cat's tongue.

He adds nothing to the coverage. Happy to hear the Dragons made an official complaint; to add yet another ex-Tiger to the coverage is a slap in the face.

Carfino's useless. Once again last night he was calling Donta Smith "Dontaye Draper."

Then when Mark Cowan came on the screen, he said: "There's Mark Cohen."

The worst thing is Gaze never corrects him, which just shows they're both as ignorant as each other.

Reply #227950 | Report this post

Raytri  
Years ago

Actually I don't mind Bradke needs to slow down when talking though. The thing I don't like is the umpires bias toward any team coached by Brian Goorjian, it was pretty obvious most of the season and very obvious last night. Also dont't like the bias of Andrew Gaze for the Tigers, although he didn't seem to be as bad as usual last night.

Reply #227966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That unsportsmanlike foul against Croswell was an absolute joke.

I think Gaze offers a lot to the coverage but Bradtke is a waste of time.

Reply #228015 | Report this post

TheFansMan  
Years ago

Raytri you're kidding aren't you????

Every year both the referees and the commentary team are bias towards the tigers. They are a protected species.

I think the reffing in the 2005 finals (Tigers v Kings) was one of the most bias series I've ever seen in my life.

The other night at the game it was funny because there were so many soft calls on the dragons that every time the replay came up on the big screen and it was obvious there was no foul all the tigers supporters around me went quiet and some of them were even laughing with eachother at how much the refs were screwing the dragons in the 1st half. The 2nd half they were just sh*thouse for both teams.

Reply #228017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The referees let a lot go - I'm not sure many soft calls were fouled on the dragons. Goorjian's teams are known for their physicality and often get away with a lot. What were your thoughts about the unsportsmanlike on Croswell - I take it you didn't notice that one?

Reply #228030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There was also the no call on Worthington's bump on Thomas which sent him out of court.

Reply #228038 | Report this post

TheFansMan  
Years ago

I thought the unsportsmanlike foul on croswell was a sh*t call, but if the refs called what they are supposed to on croswell he would be fouled off in 5 mins. The dude is dirty as and just holds in defense.

I thought it was a good no call (must admit have only seen it live and not close up on tv) on worthington.

I thought the no calls on many of Vukona and Burstons work in the key were much worse than the worthington one.

Reply #228050 | Report this post

TheFansMan  
Years ago

That last sentence reads wrong. I meant that the amount that Vukona and Burston were being hammered in the key in offense by Anstey and Hoare were much worse than the no call on Worthington.

Reply #228051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sporting leagues in Australia are all dirty.

I once heard a 36er complaining about the Central ABL being too physical and a 'cheap shot' league and that's why most NBLers refused to play in the Central ABL.

Anyone who watches NBL or even WNBL games would say that referees clearly allow illegal screens, holding of cutters, illegal bumping of cutters and slapping, hacking and holding of ball headers or guards trying to get free, especially in the back court.

Unfortunately the referees are in a no win situation.

Teams, fans and even the NBL wants the games to be as free flowing as possible so that it's enjoyable from a spectators point of view. But teams won't adjust the way they play so referees are forced to let as much 'insignificant' contact go for the 'better of the game'.

Anyone who has played would know that constant holding, hacking or bumping takes its affect and wears a player down. Even 'insignificant' contact can put a player at a huge disadvantage when put in context over a 48min game.

Maher is a perfect example. Try watching a 36ers game and ignore the ball and watch Maher on offence off the ball. He gets bumps and held everywhere he goes and 99% of it doesn't get called. Is this right? No. But if it's called you have Gaze and Carf complaining about soft calls, opposition coaches, players and fans complaining about Maher being protected or the fact its a soft call or even that its only called because Maher is a 'name' player.

One past 36ers coach told me while he was here that he blasted his big men when they didn't hold the opposition players on a box out. My response was that your telling your players to break the rules. His response was that I was right but for the 1 maybe 2 times they'd get called for it during a game, if at all, it was worth the extra 10 - 20 rebounds they'd get without much of a contest.

IMO the NBL, NBL referees and NBL coaches need to sit down together prior to the new season work out a style of basketball and standard of referee that is required. Coaches can go back to their teams and ensure they are structuring their rules accordingly, NBL and the NBL referees have a clear expectation of what is to be called and what isn't.

Referees need to stay strong enforce the rules and give teams the opportunity to adjust. If they don't then foul them out. When the starters are sitting on the bench the coaches will make the adjustments. Right now the coaches/teams have all the power and decide the way the game is going to be played, that's why one reason why Goorj teams will always succeed. For every hold, bump hack his players get called for they get away with 10, 20 or 30 of them. It's worth the price and gets the results.

Reply #228055 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"That unsportsmanlike foul against Croswell was an absolute joke."

One of the worst calls of the year.

The time where the shotclock was reset and the refs didn't think it hit the rim was a joke too.

Reply #228069 | Report this post

Graeme_LeBroy  
Years ago

Hard game to referee, both teams playing for calls.

Unsportsmanlike foul was correct, refer to the leagues points of emphasis.

Bump on Burston should have been a foul, referee was straight lined, so couldn't see the contact.

Hard game to call overall.

Reply #228091 | Report this post

Graeme_LeBroy  
Years ago

Hard game to referee, both teams playing for calls.

Unsportsmanlike foul was correct, refer to the leagues points of emphasis.

Bump on Burston should have been a foul, referee was straight lined, so couldn't see the contact.

Hard game to call overall.

Reply #228093 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:38 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754