LC
Years ago

National Junior Classic & Nunawading Tournament

So who is going to make the trip across to Melbourne for the National Junior Classic and the Nunawading Tournament on the Queen's Birthday weekend?

Junior Classic Website: http://linky.com.au/6zary
Expressions of Interest closed on 24 April.

Nunawading Tournament Website: http://linky.com.au/tunod
Entries close on 18 May - not far away!

Topic #19808 | Report this topic

Blue & Gold  
Years ago

Every Eagles team that played state champs except for U14 boys.

Reply #234530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe we could have just one continuous tournament all year round and save the bother of having different names.

Reply #234537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mavs Girls and Boys 12's, 14's & 16's all accepted for Classics. Have other teams going to Nunawading.

Reply #234543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who will be the teams to beat in Vic on the boys side?

The times may have shifted from the regular Dand, Melb and Nunnawading.

Any thoughts ?

Reply #234554 | Report this post

Inbound  
Years ago

I say NORTHS from NSW will defend their crown from 2 years ago..
They beat all comers then and are a good chance again..
Assuming they bring the top team..

Reply #234619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SA has some great chances with everything going well.

12 Boys Sturt
12 Girls Forestville and Sturt
14 Boys West
16 Girls Sturt and Eastern
18 Boys Sturt

Reply #234660 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

What about 16 boys Sturt?

Reply #234695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt U/16 Boy's wont be a threat.

Reply #235438 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Coz why?

Reply #235441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because they are not good enough. I also have reservations about Sturt U18's. Despite adding a gun from West the team has slipped from when it was the best team in Oz in U14's.

Reply #235443 | Report this post

Moose 17  
Years ago

I don't know about that. They didn't win the State Champs in 14's but won in 16's and 18's. They didn't win Eltham in 14's yet won it in 18's and they went out in the QF's in 16's. They had the same Classics results in 14's and 16's (4th). I think they have actually improved if you look at it purely from a results perspective.

Reply #235460 | Report this post

flinders 16  
Years ago

anyone heard a list of entrants yet?

Reply #236721 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Are Sturt 18 girls going?

Reply #236884 | Report this post

egalitarian  
Years ago

Sturt U18 girls finished fifth in state champs and are off to Nunadwading. I should shed a tear for them but then again not.

Reply #237416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

werribee in 18s are a good chance at taking out the title

Reply #237752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

18's will be pretty hotly contested i think being as Nationals are over with, kids are solely focused on club duties. Think it will be Norths that win.

16's (boys) will be lacking a bit, lot of Vic Metro kids are injured and struggling to be on the floor. Don't be surprised if Knox, DV, Werribee, Keilor all field less than full strength sides. Think Sturt should probably win that age group.

Reply #237868 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

868 - thats a bold statement saying that Sturt should win!

Reply #237872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Sturt's Under 18 boys can't win the Classic with Four State players, 3 Starters then there are serious problems not only in that team but in Junior basketball in this State.

Reply #237874 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Sturt 16's had some tough games in the Norwood Carnival against interstate teams and not the toughest came to Adelaide!!

Reply #237888 | Report this post

Ostrich 34  
Years ago

237874. So the entire state of basketball in this state depends on this team winning this weekend? I don't think so and I don't think you appreciate how difficult it is to win or even medal in this tournament.

Yes, they are a good team, but the Classics is full of good teams. Northern Suburbs have 3 Australian players! Melbourne, Dandenong, Waverley, Werribee, Diamond Valley are all super tough. Forestville were within a basket of winning it all last year and are good again. Horsham have great talent and are very well coached. SA Metro finished behind Vic Met, NSW Met and Vic Country whose major players will be there as well.

You need to play 5 or 6 great games to win it and that is difficult. They are capable but so are about half of the 16 team field.

Reply #237891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually forgot to include their S.A. Country kid. So make that 5 State players, 4 of whom we're major contributors to their team at Nationals.

My point is this team has been built to win, both from within and from the addition of probably the best player in the age group.

This Sturt team is on paper, the best Under 18 boys club team from S.A. in a long time.

Reply #237893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WHAT A JOKE!!!!!!!!!

Reply #237895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#874 , you obviously do not have a clue how tough classics are. You are probably from a club that does not even regular participate in the classics.

Reply #237899 | Report this post

Ostrich 34  
Years ago

893, yes they are built to win. That's what all clubs and teams that aspire to achieve do. That doesn't guarantee winning or mean that they are failures if they don't. That fails to give credit to the 15 other teams (many of whom are very talented as seen by their performances at Gawler) that have exactly the same aspirations.

Reply #237905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very odd that the pressure appears to be on the Sturt teams, these are the sort of expectations that the Vic teams usually go in with.

Sturts 16's made finals at the Eltham tourny, and if the perceived lack of players is accurate from the Vic teams, should go well again.

Clearly they have a strong 18's team, but a lot can happen over the space of this weekend.

Reply #237908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt 16s made the QUARTER finals of Eltham (ie top 8), and lost by 30-odd. Hardly the form to suggest they are favourites...

Reply #237911 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:41 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754