tickle
Years ago

Port sign college basketballer as rookie

Port Adelaide have circumvented the AFL draft system to sign 22-year old Melbourne-born Daniel Bass out of Metro State University. He stands 198cm and weighs in at 100kg.

They were able to do so, as you are able to immediately sign rookies that have not been registered to a club for 3+ years.

Pretty good loophole - recruit four-year college athletes with ready made builds. A lot of these guys would have played footy in their youth, although it would remain to be seen if Bass can do it at elite (or even state) level.

Details within
http://linky.com.au/halh0

Topic #21353 | Report this topic

Camel 31  
Years ago

That's got a lot of media TV and radio today.
More tomorrow when he gets interviewed.

(Brogan and Tippett) now Bass - might see more.

Reply #253756 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Don't forget Scott Pendlebury walked away from an AIS scholarship for basketball...

Reply #253759 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Brogan was given plenty of time to learn the trade and had great teachers in Lade and Primus. I'm not sure Bass will have the same comforts.

I would have preferred to see Bass playing top line basketball, the sport loses to many promising players to football already. Still I don't begrudge Daniel wanting to make some money, I just hope he doesn't get spat out with little more than memories.

Reply #253833 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

When I saw the headline I was expecting a 210cm+ bloke. At 198, when he hasn't played for that long, it's tough to see him being a legitimate league player any time soon.

Good luck to him though, it's the right type of gamble for them considering their ruck situation at the moment.

Reply #253844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was an Eltham junior and played in all the Vic Metro teams eligible for too I think. Was just a big solid body.

Reply #253848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bass was never going to cut it at NBL level and hence the defection...

Reply #253849 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

There is more money in Football. Didn't the same happened for Illman, Pierce, Dodman etc?

Reply #253870 | Report this post

rotateonthis  
Years ago

Would imagine that Dean will be able to teach and guide him better than most , passing on all the tricks that Primus and Lade have shared with him .

The fact that he has been thru the same situation and was close to All-Australian in a premiership season bodes well .

Think that Broges will relish the chance to have an impact and pass the baton as his career hits the twilight .

6 ft 6-7 athletic and competitive ruckman with around the ground skills are where it is at .

Reply #253952 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:34 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754