EC
Years ago

36ers please help Wollongong, throw last game

The last 2 games of this season are pretty useless to the 36ers so I think they should try and help Wollogong make the playoffs by allowing them to win the last home game. Below is a quote from Ninnis regarding the last 2 games

We're not `done and dusted' and we certainly aren't going to be mailing in our last two games.

Ninnis desperately wants to avoid finishing last on the ladder but any pride left should have been shown long ago and is pretty worthless at this late stage of the season. With what Wollongong have done this season in getting a team back into the league and then making a success of it despite only using 75% of the cap makes them worthy contenders. I hope Adelaide does the honourable thing and help another team as their season is shot to pieces and they have nothing left to salvage.

Before anyone questions my loyalty, the loyal thing to do is help someone else worthy of it when there is no hope left for yourself.

Topic #22261 | Report this topic

Statman  
Years ago

So your suggesting the team should lay down and 'throw' their game against Wollongong?

That is absolutely pathetic and goes against everything that you are taught as a kid growing up, that you should always do your best and give 100%. and lets not even start the ramifications of what your saying in the sports betting arena..

As for helping a more deserving team? If Wollongong are deserving of a spot in the finals they will get that spot on their merits. (and the way they have performed ALL season they will get there and hardly need "help" from the team anchored to the botom of the ladder)

You also say its the honourable thing to do? The way see it is that what your suggesting is far from honourable and in fact is flat out disrespctful to the Hawks.

Reply #267164 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

I dont think they will lay down, let Ninnis coach to the best of his ability and the 'Gong will be fine....
:)

Reply #267165 | Report this post

Oden08  
Years ago

I say throw the game so we have more chance of winning the lottery. John Wall would look awesome in 36ers colours!

Reply #267166 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Dumbest post of 2010 so far.

Reply #267167 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Statman

That is absolutely pathetic and goes against everything that you are taught as a kid growing up, that you should always do your best and give 100%. and lets not even start the ramifications of what your saying in the sports betting arena..

Is this the same 36ers you are talking about having done their best and giving 100% all season? Why start now?

Reply #267168 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

any suprise there skip

Reply #267169 | Report this post

confused  
Years ago

Ballsy post, and a really really stupid one.If the Gong are good enough they will make it, no aliances, this isnt an episode of survivor.

Think of those Lowery free throws, and how much that hurt watching Hawks fans celebrate. Screw them, if the get there make it as hard as possible i say...

Reply #267170 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

So EC, are you suggesting that the Sixers have not tried to win some of their games this season? That they have deliberately lost?

There is a vast difference between not playing well/making bad decisions/stuffing up/basicaly not being good enough and deliberately putting in a sub par performance in a game.

You started out in this thead by disrespecting the Hawks, but not happy with that it seems your now out to call into question the integrity of the players and club that you supposedly are passonate about.

Quite frankly your attitude and comments are nothing short of disgraceful.

Reply #267172 | Report this post

two  
Years ago

mate the way the 36ers are goin hawks will have to try and lose

Reply #267174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

move over gold coast, let a real team into the playoffs

Reply #267175 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Statman,

Questioning whether they put in 100% is totally different to suggesting they deliberately lost their games. For someone that thinks he has a certain level of intelligence, I find that rather stupid. And yes, trying to label someone as unintelligent does suggest you think you are more intelligent. I will have you know that I raised this question with many people that don't post here and mostly agreed. One such person was a grand master of the game himself who advised me that he had others say the same thing.

You say I started this thread by disrespecting the Hawks. That may be your interpretation but definitely not mine so don't state it as a fact as you have no idea. I was at the last home game of the Hawks last season when they announced to all their fans that it was the end of the road for them. I stayed behind with friends after the game and spoke to a lot of the fans who were genuinely hurting over the loss of their team. After reading about the efforts of Mat Campbell and the community support behind him, you couldn't help but wish them every success in the new season. Don't talk to me about disrespect as you are doing a great job yourself.

Reply #267176 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

EC - you state in your first post

"I think they should try and help Wollogong make the playoffs by allowing them to win"

The way I read that says you want the team to lay down, not put in their best effort and deliberately let the Hawks win. How else should I be interpeting your post?

You then quote part of one of my posts and take it out on context to try and suit your own arguments. Nice try.

Now in your final post you have really outdone yourself. What your little rant on intellegence is about or what I said to inspire it I have no idea, care to enlighten me on that one?

And you have consulted a grand master of the game on what exactly? That you think the team should throw the final game of the season to 'help' the Hawks? and they agreed with you? Get serious! What sportsperson worth mentioning would entertain throwing a game?

Finally you think going on a road trip and meeting the Hawks in their final game last year makes you somehow a 'higher power' is quite franky laughable.

Noone is saying the Hawks players, staff and supporters have not done a great job in geting their team back on the court this season. But do these efforts mean they deserve a free ride into the finals? Not a chance. If they are good enough they will get there, and thats the way they would want it not with 'handouts' from other teams.

Reply #267177 | Report this post

G  
Years ago

Statman. Right on.

Reply #267179 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Statman, please read properly before raising more questions. Where did I say that a sportsperson worth mentioning would entertain that idea. I said he had others say the same thing and that most of the people I spoke to agreed. No where does it suggest that this sportsperson was one of them. Nice one from you.

my quote

Is this the same 36ers you are talking about having done their best and giving 100% all season? Why start now?

your response
So EC, are you suggesting that the Sixers have not tried to win some of their games this season? That they have deliberately lost?

I don't know where you get that from, all I said about that was to question whether they had put in 100% all season. It does not mean they deliberately lost.

"Higher Power" NO - just a sense of sympathy having seen it first hand.

In response to your last paragraph, I have suggested that the 36ers assist if needed for them to make the playoffs but beyond that they have to prove themselves and will get there if they are good enough.

On another note, I think the insult to the Hawks comes from the $100K offered if they win the championship. That is suggesting that they need that incentive to do it as they would not work hard enough otherwise. Everything they have done from the end of last season suggested differently and $100K will not make any difference.

Jeez, you've gotten yourself pretty worked up over this subject. I hope you don't lose too much sleep over it. Its bad for your health. And for your health's sake, this is my last comment on the subject. I suggest you do the same.

Reply #267180 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Ohhh my God! It's useless Statman, don't even bother. Just know that we all agree with you.

Reply #267182 | Report this post

dave  
Years ago

If the 'gong' cant make it themselves, they arent worthy of playing finals basketball. Why would you want a team to flounder or deliberately lose?
You betchya the NBL would go hammer and tong at the club for dropping the game. EC, would you be paying the fine if that was imposed of losing a game so another could get in? Me thinks not!

Really not a smart post

The Tigers cant make it so all is well and Hodge, cya later mate. You were good but your a crap player with an awesome jumpshot that makes a U10's team look awesome. You gronk!

Reply #267184 | Report this post

JMAC  
Years ago

Definately agree with skip. Dumbest post so far of 2010

Reply #267185 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Dumbest post all year I agree! Lets see its probably Ninnis job on the line and you think we should just throw the game lol Must stupidest idea ever! If I am Ninnis i want to win that game so we dont have to finish last. I dont care if it means the Hawks don't make it!

Reply #267186 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

stupid thread

Reply #267187 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

+1 to XztatiK last post where with you stats

Reply #267190 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Last game of the season and last time we see some of the sixers - so they will give it all they've got to go out on a high.
What did Groves get - about 800points for Wollongong one season, 44points first game for the Dragons,career average about 20points and only 10 for us. like to see him and others go for it.

Reply #267191 | Report this post

Blazefan  
Years ago

Supporting a team that won last year's wooden spoon, that was coached by a person not too many liked, I think I'm reasonably qualified to offer my opinion on this thread.

While the result of our last 08/09 game (incidentally against the Hawks) was not going to influence the playoffs, there were a lot of people thinking the Blaze should let Woolongong win as it was going to be (at the time) the last ever game for the last NBL foundation franchise.

From memory the Blaze won comfortably but what I remember the most is coming home from the game with a sense of hope for the next season. We had had such a crap season but we had won our last three games. Apart from the Champion Dragons, the Blaze were the only team to win their last game last season.

Rather than agree with everyone else and say that this is a dumb thread, I put this to you EC.

You say "the loyal thing to do is help someone else worthy of it when there is no hope left for yourself"

Aren't the Adelaide fans more worthy of seeing their team win their last game of the season?

Aren't Adelaide fans deserving enough to see their team play their guts out and try and finish the season Win Win?

As much as you hate Ninnis as much as I despised Brendan Joyce, doesn't he deserve to finish his season coaching a winner?

In this upcoming offseason are you going to be thinking "yes it was a crap season but at least we helped the Hawks into the finals?" No figg'n way.

You'll be reading every Boti Nagy article you can find, speaking to every grand master of the game that will talk to you, and reading every blog on this and other NBL forum sites just to find out when, what, who, and how in relation to the 2010/11 Sixers.

So stop this rubbish about the sixers intentionally losing. Even if you had the power of Mark Lewis, Ben Fitzsimons or Scott Ninnis combined, you couldn't make this happen so why raise this issue in the first place?

Stop trying to make Statman look the fool because if you didn't realise it by now, this just makes your hole bigger.

And finally get behind your damn team. If they could snag a win against the Crocs next week combined with an almost certain home win by the Hawks over the toothless Tigers, Woolongong are definitely in regardless of what happens in the last Dome game.

Reply #267193 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Yo are all talking about it like the Sixers will have a say in the matter - as much as it pains me they will get thumped - 20 points at least.

Reply #267194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The way you look at it EC is shameful. What the 36ers may want to do is, for the benefits of next year, test out the three players who have been sitting on the bench (Garlepp, Molitor etc.) Give them some more time, give a little less time to the older players, or ones that have ongoing injury issues.

- Give younger guys a chance and test their abilities
- Prevent possible fatigue/end of season injuries from players
- Try some new tactics that could be used next year

Does that mean purposely lose? No. Does that mean sitout our star players for these matches? No.

If Wollongong wins because we are trying new things, good for them, they make the playoffs and maybe make enough cash to help sustain their club.

If Adelaide wins, we successfully tried some new things which could help us next year.

Reply #267196 | Report this post

Hems  
Years ago

Wow - I've seen some stupid stuff on here, but this is a ridiculous post. There is absolutley no honour in going out there and "giving" the game to Wollongong, and in the process ensuring we collect the wooden spoon.

Reply #267200 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Got my vote for most stupid, pathetic thread of all time to be honest. What you are suggesting is effectively match fixing. Grow up.

Reply #267204 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hoping to see Wollongong succeed as something of an off-season underdog is one thing. Thinking that your team (or any team) should effectively throw a game to help the cause of another is no good. Fixing, throwing or tanking a game is often illegal or at the very least strongly frowned upon when detected or suspected.

Reply #267205 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

No-one's mentioned the obvious. Throw some hard-earned on Wollongong first, then lose deliberately ..... but alas, Wollongong will win regardless because based on form-to-date, they're the better team.

I wouldn't say this is a useless post. In fact, it's been quite entertaining, a bit like Michael Jordan's HOF speech. It was a loathsome, offensive speech yet I couldn't look away.

Reply #267209 | Report this post

hanging round  
Years ago

Show me the MONEY!!!!!!

Reply #267211 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

EC you have embarassed yourself with this thread. I suggest you ask for this thread to be removed.

Poor form.

Reply #267213 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

30 responses to this thread and no one has bothered to read carefully what I actually wrote. This forum is full of people like the ones who have responded who only want to put down others. Its quite easy and polite to say I don't agree with you because of this, that and the other. But no that is not the method adopted here. Suggests to me too many chips on shoulders.

No where have I said the 36ers should throw the last game. If they play the way they have all season, chances are they are going to lose it anyway. What prompted this thread was reading Boti's article about Ninnis going into the last 2 games with pride and play to win. If they play any differently in the last 2 games that brings the win, then I will be disgruntled that its too little too late. It should have been done a lot sooner. Ninnis is trying to salvage some respect for this season but nothing changes the fact that its the worst in club history. A bit like closing the gate after the horse has bolted.

I proved the point that I was not suggesting they deliberately lose a game in this response to Statman earlier on;

Questioning whether they put in 100% is totally different to suggesting they deliberately lost their games.

All I meant is that nothing should change to the the game plan (or lack thereof) that has been adopted all season to help Wollongong to win the game. If I feel like they haven't put in 100% all season, why do they want to do it in the last 2 meaningless games. If anyone disagrees with this statement, then read the 10,000 or so posts that have been posted all season about how poor the team and certain individual players and playing. And no I haven't counted them all so there may be a slight discrepancy in count.

Footnote - thomo, you're welcome to add something meaningful to this argument instead of acting like someone else's puppet.

Reply #267226 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

EC - I really cant be stuffed breaking down your last attempt at saving face so all I'll ask of you is that you re-read the first sentence of your initial post.

Now Im an engineer so cant lay claim to any high level of expertise regarding the English language but I do like to think I have resonable comprehension and to me, your first sentence says that you think the 36ers should allow the Hawks to win. If thats not what you have writen, then please let me know!

Reply #267231 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Yes they should allow them to win by playing as they normally have played this season and not by my interpretation of what Ninnis said about going out there with a must win attitude. I have always felt that the team was much better than what they achieved but held back by the coaching, I felt that Ninnis was planning on pulling a rabbit out of a hat in the last 2 games. If he has finally found the answer, then its too late. Why ruin someone else's chances. Also by your reasoning that if Wollongong are good enough they will make it anyway, then if the 36ers win they are good enough to be given a 2nd chance. That is not going to happen.

Reply #267232 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

EC, that is the worst attempt at back-tracking I've seen in a long time.

So, the you started a thread to say "I hope the Sixers play similarly to the season so far, and in doing so, the Hawks should win."

Don't think so. Your first post talks of the Sixers doing the "honourable thing" which suggets the Sixers actively (and honourably, in your opinion) assisting the Hawks to win.

That's called THROWING A GAME! It's illegal.

Agreed - worst thread of 2010. Top 5 all-time, possibly #1. EC, there's still time to claim you are drunk, high, or both.

Reply #267253 | Report this post

BettyLeadfoot  
Years ago

I expect my team to go out and play the best game they can and if Ninnis has finally found the answer then I want to see it. That's how I expect the rest of the season to be played. If we loose to the Hawks then so be it but they will have to earn it. Can we make them is the question.

Reply #267274 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

What the hell?! LOL

Anwyays even if Scotty has found the miracle cure to get the boys pumped and playing to their potential you are suggesting he shouldn't do it/push them/succed?

IF (I doubt it) he has found what can make this group click and be the best they can be than HELL YES I WANT TO SEE THAT doesn't matter if we are playing a game that has no bearing on our soon to be acquired spoon.

There are still fans to be entertained, still bills to be paid and still hopefully returning customers to put on a good show for.

The Hawks have already made it and probably would have made it on their own merits anway.

I will be interested to see your first post on the odd chance the Sixers come out and blow the Hawks away for 20+points!?

I do belive the Sixers were one of the first to knock the Hawks off at home (by quite a margin) earlier in the season when the Sixers were written off on that game.

Reply #267319 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Herbert maybe Coops Tez last games for us - maybe.

Pre - season Gilchrist was feeding Burston.
Burston was killing Schenscher Ballinger and the like.

Burston got injured - Ballinger played centre.
Gilchrist was doing to much himself.

Maybe Ninnis has got Groves feeding Burston Ballinger
penetrating - amongst other plays.

Reply #267324 | Report this post

Down you sixers  
Years ago

For advice on throwing games contact Salim Malik on +91 3333131 or Kapil Dev +92 2233131. If you don't get any answer SMS Shane Warne or Mark Waugh.

Reply #267486 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

...or Terry Wallace and Dean Bailey.

Reply #267489 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

DJ

"I will be interested to see your first post on the odd chance the Sixers come out and blow the Hawks away for 20+points!?"

Hindsight is such a wonderful thing but unfortunately I am not blessed with that gift. After the last 2 games, I could have easily not bothered to start this thread. Silly me actually gave the 36ers and their coaching team credit for being better than that and actually finding some magic in the last 2 games to save some pride. They didn't have to take any notice from me to ignore that instantly found magic that would win those games. They did a great job completely on their own to lose those games. Perhaps it wasn't the Hawks I was insulting but the 36ers I was complementing beyond merit.

Reply #267886 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

Ha Ha Oden08 - you just actually made me LOL.

Reply #268121 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:35 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754