Borris
Years ago

Mount Gambier Pioneers - Coach or Smith

I have some trouble coming to terms with the Mount Gambier Pioneers letting go of one of the best players and community people that they have been able to attract to the mount for some time.

It disappoints me that the board was able to terminate a contract based on one sponsor withdrawing money that was pledged. How were they to pay for the rest of his contract, lets say the other $15,000.00 for example. Financially if you were running a business and you didnt have the rest of the contract money to begin with, then why fly the player out and tell hime that he is guaranteed to see out the term of his contract. Only to terminate it two weeks later???

It also is concerning that when the coach of the team is recruiting players (total of at least two) and signing them after they called it a financial decision to let smith go?? Where is the money coming from??

It smells fishy to me that this has occurred. I would like to know if the coach was actually going to allow Smith to stay anyway? Setting up offensive plays for all of the team except for Smith tells me that the coach does not want Smith to score, thus making him look bad and giving him a reason to send him home with the blessing of the current board for non performance.

I believe that the coach should have been let go and Smith should still be here, the coach is only interested in himself and would say and do anything to achieve his goals (whatever they may be). If I were on that team list, do not turn your back on the coach!!!!!

Topic #22368 | Report this topic

anon  
Years ago

well happy campers at the mount

Reply #268396 | Report this post

Player23  
Years ago

Yeah you are right there Borris the coach is only there for himself and to achieve his goals...which would be to win a Championship! YOU IDIOT!!!
Seriously if the bloke isn't performing (watched him play a couple of weekends ago and he scored 1 point!) then why not make a swift decision to get rid of him whether it be financial or not! I'm pretty sure that Burdon wouldn't be costing the club anywhere near what Smith was costing them! Do you understand how much it actually costs to have an American? You not only need to pay him a minimum wage per month you also need to provide a house for his family and a car to get around in. This is not chicken feed either and it wouldn't be anywhere near the $200-$250 a game they would be paying someone like Burdon.

Reply #268404 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Coach.

Getting in Burdon and Sutton sounds like they're moving in the right direction to me.

Reply #268407 | Report this post

Vesta 57  
Years ago

It's pretty obvious the Coach didn't want Smith in the first place. That's fair enough in isolation, then for a sponsor (and grapevine says also board member) to link significant sponsorship dollars to a particular player would understandably annoy a coach trying to make his mark on a team.

This was always going to end in tears. If Smaith had not been invited back in the first place nothing would have been said just like 90% of the other imports that come and go.
Smith was ok, but Sedlock or Holmes he isn't.

I don't see this as a fault of the coach at all.
If the team he puts together is no good, different story.

Reply #268409 | Report this post

Gheorge Muresan  
Years ago

Well here we go again. The Pioneers are at it again and the season hasn't even started.

So Smith directly cost the club sponsors? How many sponsors did the former coach deWit cost the club? How many people did deWit put offside last season and how many people now refuse to go to home games because of the antics of Pioneers board members last season???

The Pioneers are almost completely down the drain. It's a sad, sad tale of woe for this once professional and respected sporting brand.

Two years ago the board made the worst decision in its history and it will not recover.

Lot of people to blame, but no one is willing to stand up and say 'we got it wrong'.

Bye bye Pioneers, thanks for the memories.

Reply #268414 | Report this post

Vesta 57  
Years ago

Isaac, tend to agree with you there.

I haven't seen Burdon play but watched Sutton against Forestville and was impressed.
Played the PG spot like the Pioneers have needed since Sam Fotu and Damien Smith left.
This coach does have some experience and is organised, it shows.
Some of the shuffling on the bench during the 2nd o/t indicates that the assistants are on the bottom end of a really steep learning curve to back him up with the right subs etc.
Has to be an improvement on last year surely.
I don't agree with George that Ray cost sponsors, after all it was he alone that brought Allan Scott back on board as major sponsor.
He just wasn't experienced or organised enough to coach at SEABL level.

Reply #268431 | Report this post

Borris  
Years ago

Player 23, you sound like a real tool! When do you think that everyone is going to wake up to the crap,bombastic foolish attitude that the coach is throwing around at the moment? I say around Game 4.

Vesta and Isaac, Yes, I agree that Sutton and Burdon are filling some big holes that the team has had left open for some years now.

I unfortunately dont know if Tipton is going to be able to fill roles that are asked of him.

Will be interesting to see if the team can come together and 'win' a championship Player 23.

Reply #268443 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

PLayer23, it wouldnt be chicken feed they are paying these guys like Burdon and them....they need to be housed also and guys from out of town would need cars and such. I watched the game that Smith only scored one point in but didnt anyone see the defensive assignments he was given? And pretty much played the whole game as Tipton had his hands on his knees and Ricey in foul trouble. Also, one pre season game and he is under performing? Give me a break - he came up big for the Pioneers last season and averaged good numbers in a offense that also had no plays run for him.
Anyone can see this coach is trying to get rid of guys he didnt sign to bring in his own, which is fine, but in a town like Mt Gambier with the financial situation the Pioneers are in seems like he is making promises to players and no money to back it up.

Reply #268469 | Report this post

Deimos  
Years ago

Would love to know who is posting on here , Player23 did you sit the whole game that Smith scored 1 point and only take notes of his points as those stats were never released. Gotta be part of the coaching staff or someone directly connected........so if you guys believe his release was fair why sit on here trying to justify it?

Reply #268470 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Annon and Deimos, please pick an alias and stick to it. Thanks.

Reply #268473 | Report this post

Player23  
Years ago

Yes Annon and Deimos (the same bloke) I was at the whole game and no I am not one of the coaching staff, I have no involvement with the Pioneers whatsoever.
I didn't get a chance to see Smith play last year so I can't comment on his performances. I did however see him play a couple of pre season games this year though and he hasn't done much.
If I was a new head coach and I had an idea as to what brand of basketball I wanted to play and a player who was already signed was on my team it would be an issue. If he doesn't fit in then why spend $30k and keep him? It's a waste of money and detrimental to the team and club. No matter how nice a bloke he is, it's still a business and it's a business decsion! We are not playing in a social competition here kids, there are people's jobs and income on the line. In business sometimes you make one hard decision to sack a bloke to save those other employees and the company. I know at my work they had to retrench 3 blokes (all top guys) because of the GEC just to save some dollars to keep going.
There are also 1000's of supporters who want to come out and watch a team play. How would you feel if they kept Smith on and went broke and you don't have a team to watch? Are you going to go out and watch the Bulldogs and the Roos play on a wednesday night? Is that going to be good enough?
Finally, the reason i'm on here commenting is because this is a forum. You have your opinion and I have mine the only difference is yours is wrong... ;)

Reply #268568 | Report this post

Player23  
Years ago

The other thing I forgot to mention is that Tipton is a very solid player. Needs to probably go inside the three point line a bit more on offence but can run the floor very well, is athletic as hell, can shoot the 3 and is very good on the boards. Watch him a couple more times and you would almost think you are watching Sedlock. The only difference is he lacks the post game of Sedlock but can shoot the 3 better.

Reply #268570 | Report this post

Vesta 57  
Years ago

Player23, Now you sound like the party line that is coming out of the board over Tipton.
Before you start comparing anyone to Sedlock think about well over 200 hard tough games. One of the clubs best and longest serving players.

I watched the Millicent game against Forestville and I thought Tipton was solid.
It will be a long time before I would be making the Sedlock comparison.

Reply #268572 | Report this post

Borris  
Years ago

Vesta 57, I agree.

Player 23 actually sounds like the coach? defending and attacking left, right and centre.

You need to understand Player 23, that if a club has no money and they let him go for financial reasons then why continue getting players that equal the total amount of the sacked player?

The excuses that were made for sacking Smith still smell like horse shit!

Reply #268579 | Report this post

Player23  
Years ago

Vesta, I know Jason very well and know how good he was, so there is no arguement there. What I stated was he reminds me of Sedlock with a couple of differences that's all. People compared Harold Miner to Michael Jordan and look how that turned out!
I'm just saying he is a very solid player from what I have seen and will be very handy. My assessment of him playing like Sedlock was supported by none other than the greatest of Pioneers players...
Borris, they had signed all but Burdon prior to the sacking and like I have said previously $30k compared to about $7k is a big BIG difference, especially if you have had one or two sponsors pull out.
I will state honestly that I am not the coach and have no immediate involvement with the club. I think Isaac can confirm this as well if you like!
I guess if the coach gets the team playing finals again then what he did was a smart move. If he wins a Championship i'm assuming you won't be there to celebrate the win? If the don't make finals i'm sure you will be the first in line to say "I told you so!"

Reply #268582 | Report this post

Vesta 57  
Years ago

Player 23 I don't think you're the coach far from it, and I don't think the obfuscations around the "contract withdrawal" of Smith are of the coaches doing. From what I've heard he is much more blunt than that (probably been gagged in that case).
It is no secret within the board that the coach did not ask for Smith to be brought out or offered a contract.
And now for the tongue in cheek bit.
As for the greatest Pioneer of all time, the only ones putting their hand up for that title, probably wouldn't be in my personal mix anyway.
But that's subjective and will probably invite a rant.

Reply #268587 | Report this post

Player23  
Years ago

Vesta27, if the coach didn't want him from the beginning why not terminate his contract before he got to the Mount, which could of been done when they signed a new coach? So is it not financial now? Do you believe there will be pay cuts to other players?

Reply #268595 | Report this post

Player23  
Years ago

IMPOSTER!!! Who is this fraudelant poster who is using my alias!!! Nothing wrong with the last post but what are you up to???
Vesta, I can gaurantee you the greatest pioneer wouldn't actually think he is the greatest, so I would be happy to wager that we are talking about the same player!

Reply #268633 | Report this post

bolks  
Years ago

I saw these guys train the other night and what i saw i was impressed (especially compared to with last season). The Coach Summerville demanded respect from his players, which i liked a lot (however this was just one training so don't anyone fucking rip me a new one).

I reckon as long as the players respect him, i believe that the players will improve indiviually, as a team, and as an association. Summerville reminded me alot of Warrick Kettle and his awsome Town Team teams - Tough love earnt him respect, and as a result got the best out of everyone.

Reply #268637 | Report this post

Summers  
Years ago

Player 23 you are extremely opinionated, you obviously have some unfinished business in Mount Gambier?

Sounds and looks like the Pioneers will start the season at this stage?

I wonder if they have found Smith another gig as suggested in the local rag?

Reply #268804 | Report this post

Gheorge Muresan  
Years ago

Pay cuts to other players for sure. Club in real survival mode now.

Reply #268898 | Report this post

Vesta 57  
Years ago

Grapevine has it Smith was found a place by the former coach, believed to be Mildura.

Current starting 5 players will be refused permission to play in the local comp finals series.
This blows the comp wide open.
Bad luck to Roos, finishing in second spot now no Tipton.
(Croc tears)
Same with Cougars, sorry Bolks!

Reply #269267 | Report this post

Kermit^  
Years ago

I miss Sam Fotu.. started his career in WA but really got it going in Mt Gambier...

Reply #270318 | Report this post

Jennifer  
Years ago

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=527304&id=709840480#!/group.php?gid=74812136626

Plz go to this page and read.. I am looking for my three half sisters who I think may have been born in Mt Gambier:)

Reply #296792 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:13 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754