Player23
Years ago

Pioneers announce Major Sponsor

The Pioneers today will announce a new Major sponser who will in reality save them from becoming extinct! May also allow them to get another American!!!

Topic #22460 | Report this topic

Mookie  
Years ago

Great news, add Dwayne Cross and Andre LeFleur into the mix and boom the Mount will be rocking.

Reply #269852 | Report this post

wizzel08  
Years ago

Well who is it. I am tipping its not one of the local Painters lol

Reply #269861 | Report this post

knox  
Years ago

shadows nightclub.

Reply #269862 | Report this post

Borris  
Years ago

why get another american? you clown! You know as well as we all do that financially they are just about hagged. They are barely going to be able to pay who they have at the moment, yet there last years debts also have to be considered.

Sounds as though you know a hell of a lot about finances! I would hate to be in business with you Player 23, you would send us bust within 2 weeks!

Pioneers are still not out of the woods yet.

Reply #269863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Mod: Unnecessary sniping.)

Reply #269867 | Report this post

Kris C  
Years ago

And what's your name and what SEABL / CABL team do you play for? oh that's right your an anonymous chump that plays with himself.. If you are going to rag on him then put your real name up.. If not then just SHUT UP!! Belal had an opportunity to try out for Pioneers, he made it through the try-outs and got offered a spot on the team , regardless of what he played like in 'div 3' last season, He has made the move to Mt Gambier and has been given the chance to give the SEABL a crack. It's funny to me that you talk shit on here no problems under 'anonymous' because you are a jealous coward with no talent trying to make yourself feel better by putting him down...

grow some balls :)

-Kris Castledine

Reply #269875 | Report this post

Player23  
Years ago

Trust me Borris, this is a very attractive sponsorship package and will go along way in paying any outstanding debts as well as player payments.

Reply #269879 | Report this post

bolks  
Years ago

could it be de Bruin??? It's not like he short on money.... and he likes seeing his name written everywhere and anywhere.

Reply #269881 | Report this post

bolks  
Years ago

I'm not a coach or anything but i'm not sure if bringing an american in this late in the season is a good idea.....

Reply #269883 | Report this post

change it up  
Years ago

maybe the sponsorhsip will allow them to put their website back up. pretty poor effort, it is down for repair and has been so for ages.

Reply #269889 | Report this post

change it up  
Years ago

Pioneers welcome new major sposnor
Posted on March 5, 2010, 7:07am
The Mount Gambier Pioneers have lured a new sponsor?—?Castec Rural Supplies?—?on the eve of the 2010 South East Australian Basketball League season.

The announcement was made official in Penola yesterday morning and the team will now be known as the Castec Rural Pioneers.

It has been another busy off-season for the club on and off the court, highlighted by the additions of new coach Andrew Summerville, former Adelaide 36er Matt Sutton and American import Andy Tipton.

It also parted ways with American forward Kevin Smith two weeks ago due to a lack of finances and has introduced a new board, headed by president and life member Dave Bowden.

Chris Castine, director of Wennerbom and Hoole, Casgas and Castec Rural Supplies, said the company was excited to be associated with Mount Gambier's only national sporting team.

"We see the Pioneers as a major sporting group in the South East and we’re happy to be the major sponsor in 2010 and show our commitment to the local community," he said.

“Our company has always supported the local rural industry and put money back into the community.”

Castine said he and his staff enjoy basketball at all levels, which helped make the decision easier for the company that has stores in Mount Gambier, Penola and Naracoorte.

“We’ve all pretty much played basketball most of our lives and we follow basketball,” he said.

“We see this as a great opportunity to support the Pioneers with their school visits and work in the community.

“Castec is pleased to support the team when they make these visits across the South East.”

On the court, the Pioneers head into the new season looking to regain respectability after a difficult two years that saw the side struggle against most teams.

But with coach Summerville working hard to put his own mark on the team, player confidence is rising and while no one is promising a championship, a return to the playoffs is a realistic goal.

One player who is looking forward to the start of the season in two weeks is American forward Andy Tipton.
Tipton, the 203cm power forward from Maryville Tennessee, has been with the team for five weeks and has adjusted well to life in Mount Gambier.

“Mount Gambier is pretty much like my home town,” he said.

“My home town has 30,000 people, so it’s easy to get adjusted too. It’s not like I was coming from a major city.”

Tipton, who worked with Summerville when he played college basketball for Chuck Benson at Carson Newman, said the decision to continue his career in Australia was an easy one.

“It was real easy,” he said.

“It was another chance to play ball and the first time I had played overseas, so it was a good opportunity.“
Tipton did take some time to adjust to the Australian game, but is now more comfortable with his teammates.

“It’s a lot different?—?the guys here play real physical,” he said.

“All the guys are great guys and the team is coming together.”

The Pioneers open their season with a tough road double against Frankston and Ballarat and then hit the Icehouse court for the first time on March 19 against the Hobart Chargers.

Reply #269890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is Eze definately at the pioneers - press announcement didn't mention him whereas the mentioned another ex 36er

Reply #269891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://hobartchargers.com.au/main/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=195&Itemid=53

sorry for the format of the link but when I saw Hobart Chargers mentioned looked at their site to see if Nashy still playing. The link is to an article that the Tassie government if re-elected will ensure that as part of an upgrade to a school will incorporate a 2000 seat stadium for the Chargers to use.

Now where else is there an election!!!!

Reply #269893 | Report this post

Vesta 57  
Years ago

Credit where credit's due, good work from Darryl Starick to get Castec on board.
My mail is there won't be a second import, Burdon has arrived and is settled. Jenkins arrived yesterday and will train as of next week.
As for Belal, I hear he has a bench and training spot but won't get a contract.
He may get some minutes either way I guess it's good experience at SEABL level, good on him for having a go I guess.
Need to resolve the bunfight with ex sponsors before it festers out of control.
Pioneers should have fought harder to get more home games early on before footy starts.
Late run of home games does you no good when noone comes.

Reply #269894 | Report this post

Borris  
Years ago

Player 23, unless you know that the new major sponsor has gifted the club approx $??,000.00 for this year, then get a new opinion!

Outstanding debts from last year, lost sponsorship from this year, plus anyone else that they decide to import eg another american.

Again, i wouldnt go into business with you!

The Pioneers are on the right track, but it needs more money, yes Daryl Starick has gone cap in hand and been able to get the major sponsor, this is good work on his behalf, but they need more money to survive long term or at least the season!

Reply #269896 | Report this post

Vesta 57  
Years ago

Borris, I understand it has been agreed that there is no money for another import. They're very lucky they weren't saddled with international airfares for Smith.

As for LeFleur and Cross that's and outstanding idea.
Maybe Cross'y could sort out the terrible music coming out of the commentary box, maybe an Akon drop in!
LeFleur and Sutton sharing the point, I might even pay to see that!

Reply #269897 | Report this post

Player23  
Years ago

Borris mate, I know exactly how much they have sponsored, I question if you have any idea at all champ. To me it sounds like you may be one of the angry sponsors who has left and has sour grapes, maybe you need to build a bridge and get over it. You are constantly asking for the coach to be sacked because it's his fault that they are in financial trouble. He had one falling out with a previous committee member who stood down, it was that former member who got his ego in the way and decided to try and convince as many sponsors who were mates to pull out of the club. The club has pulled a rabbit out of the hat to keep them afloat, maybe with better management from different board members they will continue to move forward. But move on buddy, there is a season starting (thanks to CRT) in a week or so and if your not going to be there to support them I really don't think the team will give a shit!

Reply #269924 | Report this post

Vesta 57  
Years ago

Player 23 I don't doubt you know the amount of the Castec sponsorship.
My problem is that if you aren't a board member then you bloody well shouldn't know!
The internal bickering is no secret and has been brewing for a while now. If the board had always acted prudently and within it's own constitution then I suggest it wouldn't have gone this far.
I really hope they can get over all of this and move on.

Does anyone know if Mason got a contract?

Reply #269958 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Erik is definately at Pioneers - eat 'em alive mate!

Reply #269979 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Dont mean to go against what the post is about but watched the game in Mildura this weekend with the Mildura heat against the Adelaide team that apparently beat the Pioneers in pre-season. All I wanted to say is thank you Mount Gambier. Kevin Smith had at least 40 points and 18 rebounds against them, not only impressing the crowd but also helping the heat win the game. Hes going to be bringing fans back to basketball in Mildura and we couldnt of had that without the Pioneers doing what they did............so thanks!!!!

Reply #270088 | Report this post

Borris  
Years ago

Player 23, sounds like you know the financial loss that was made last year as well then? I certainly dont. Why as a board and I agree with Vesta 57 on this, do they convey such information to a non board member? Very professional isnt it.

Yes I am a sponsor, financial as well. But do you realise that if the coach does not pull his head out of his arse, then more sponsors will leave. The bloke has no personality skills at all.

I want the Pioneers to succeed in what they do, on and off the court. It is an institution here in the mount.

Reply #270134 | Report this post

wizzel08  
Years ago

I must also thank the Pioneers for sending Mildura not only a very good player but an even better person for the area.
GO HEAT

Reply #270135 | Report this post

Player23  
Years ago

Borris, like all things these days, it's not hard to find things out. Being the small town Mt Gambier is, news travels very fast. I reckon if I knew your name I could probably find out how much you earn per year within about 30 minutes! ;)
It's great to hear that you are a sponsor and you understand the importance of supporting the team. Just keep in mind, you don't sponsor the coach you sponsor the club and the team. I know a lot of people seem to be having "run ins" with this bloke, but withdrawing sponsorship effects 12 other blokes more so than it effects him. Take Smith for an example, but luckily for him he was able to find another team and it seesm things have worked out ok. I would hate for that to happen to 12 more players.

Reply #270148 | Report this post

Borris  
Years ago

Player 23, Oh how you changed your tune when you know that I am a financial sponsor!

Player 23, Stop kidding yourself, you are not the chief of Mount Gambier, I reckon you would be hard pressed to find out how much I get paid!

Ask yourself this, how do you put up money to something that you have trouble in beleiving in?

If the coach is being a dickhead, why support that by paying his wage? I have no problems with supporting the hardworking, unsuspecting players who have no say financially where the club sits (allbeit upon their performances being the only way).

I wish the Pioneers good luck for the season ahead just like all other supporters. I hope they come out on the right side of the season.

Reply #270199 | Report this post

Player23  
Years ago

"Player 23, Oh how you changed your tune when you know that I am a financial sponsor!"

I don't really see where I have changed my tune. I have nothing to do with the club, so realistically it's not going to effect my life if you sponsor them or not. I am a basketball fan, and a friend to some of the players down there, so I understand who it effects. I have been on both sides of the fence, a sponsor, player, coach, spectator, i've done it all, but if I was in the position to sponsor them I would do it again. I would just make sure that if I wasn't happy with something I would go down the correct path and either speak to the committee, or put my hand up to be on the committee. I would not be happy with the Sixers if they appointed Brendan Joyce, but I wouldn't not buy a season ticket.

"Player 23, Stop kidding yourself, you are not the chief of Mount Gambier, I reckon you would be hard pressed to find out how much I get paid!"

Come on Borris, you don't need to be the Chief of Mount Gambier to find something out. With enough persuasion I could probably find out who you are without too much trouble and probably likewise. The internet is an amazing resource these days so don't go getting all tough about it, exhale and let your chest back in!

"Ask yourself this, how do you put up money to something that you have trouble in beleiving in?"

It's a good question and you either take it from a business perception to see if you are getting a decent return for your money, or it's a passion thing. For me i'm passionate about the sport and would sponsor. I think by your posts you are too and at the moment are simply frustrated. My guess is you are friends with one of the former sponsors and are looking at it from their point of view, that's entirely up to you.

"If the coach is being a dickhead, why support that by paying his wage? I have no problems with supporting the hardworking, unsuspecting players who have no say financially where the club sits (allbeit upon their performances being the only way)."

How do you propose to do that? Pay the players directly?

"I wish the Pioneers good luck for the season ahead just like all other supporters. I hope they come out on the right side of the season."

Good to see when the dust settles you are still there to cheer them on. Nice chatting to you again!

Reply #270205 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Borris I agree with you.....it is hard to believe someone not on the board knows as much as Player23 - and if Player23 is not on the board - or the coach then he should not know some of these things!!! These are some of the reasons I will not be sponsoring the Pioneers this season - I have no problem with the players, not that I know them but I do have a problem with the way the coach has been treating people in this town and how the board is conducting the business side of things. Very unprofessional and definately not in the best interest of players and people here in the Mount.

Reply #270262 | Report this post

wizzel08  
Years ago

Good on you Annon, no one should be treated like crap by any player , coach or official of any sporting team it should always be treated as a houner to be able to represent a team not a god given right.
So if the new coach is rude and cocky,he will soon find out it does not go down well in rural towns and its a long and lonely ride home.

Reply #270403 | Report this post

Vesta 57  
Years ago

I'm sure Mark Lampshire, John Burns and Sonya Knight put a few burrs under saddle blankets as well.

Hell I know Knight and Burns certainly did, probably wouldn't go as far as to say arrogant though, then I'm not sure this guy is arrogant either.

I'll make my judgement if and when we meet.
And if he's a tool well so be it I guess, nothing I say will change the status quo.

Reply #270751 | Report this post

wizzel08  
Years ago

Kevin Smith - 60 points and 38 rebounds for the 2 games over the weekend and packed the Mildura Basketball stadium. They just LOVE him in Mildura.

Thanks MG

Reply #271427 | Report this post

wizzel08  
Years ago

Pioneers looking great this year. NOT lol

Reply #274125 | Report this post

wizzel08  
Years ago

Hey the new Supercoach has got the Pioneers on a roll now. LOL

Reply #282146 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:07 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754