skip
Years ago

Taj McCullough released by the Kings

Just announced on their Twitter.

Which import will be next I wonder?

Topic #24456 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Here's the link. The article by the Kings doesn't keep it too fluffy at all!

Head Coach of the Sydney Kings, Ian 'Moose' Robilliard, said that the team had persevered with McCullough, hoping that he would lift his game and make a stronger contribution to the team. He said that McCullough had been given considerable leeway and a number of opportunities to improve his game, none of which had been realised to date.

"The axe fell for Taj in the game against the New Zealand Breakers on Sunday night. It was always going to be a tough game and we really needed everyone on the team to play with passion, pride, and as a team," Robilliard said.

"In fairness to Taj, he himself acknowledged that he had not provided the necessary contribution to the team that everyone had expected," he added.

"The Sydney fans have lost faith in Taj, and with that hanging over his head and Patrick Sanders having such a standout game after just one week of training, I have to say the tough decision was a little easier to make," he added.

Reply #298412 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Disappointing given his record against top Euro teams, but a good move by the Kings.

Reply #298415 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Jesus, Moose certainly is honest. I wonder if he'd like to be chairman of selectors for the Australian Cricket Team?

Reply #298419 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

The writing was on the wall in that timeout towards the end last night when Taj got roasted by Robilliard for arguing with the ref all the way up the court after a foul wasn't called and NZ went coast to coast for a layup off his turnover.
"I can't Coach EFFORT"!!!

Reply #298423 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

I loved that comment by Moose regarding not being able to coach effort. He put the responsibility fair and square on the players on national television on and they responded accordingly.

I thought Taj played ok last night.

Reply #298439 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

I loved that comment by Moose regarding not being able to coach effort. He put the responsibility fair and square on the players on national television and they responded accordingly.

I thought Taj played ok last night.

Reply #298440 | Report this post

you could say that again Big Ads!

Reply #298462 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

The tough decision that needed to be made; and honestly the best decision.

Too indecisive on making offensive plays and he blew some pretty big shots against the breakers; especially the few post layups and tip ins he could have made.

There's much more breating room to grow and expand for the local talent, but imports are expected to fire instantly.

Reply #298467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I cant coach effort" what a joke, it is code for:

"I have no system and I am offering you no solutions on how to play against these guys because I really don't know myself, I will however give you generalised coaching jargon to hide the fact that I am struggling to coach at this level because I am completely out of my depth, so keep your man in front of you and get out there and play for the pride of the singlet"

He talks about being accountable, well how about the HC be accountable for what he is putting in place

Reply #298516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The quality of imports in the NBL is disgraceful

Reply #298531 | Report this post

tyrell  
Years ago

anyone got a video link on the "i can't coach effort" comment

Reply #298544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i actually thought effort was about the only thing taj was giving. many imports that come out here dont really want to be here or buy into a system but it really seemed like he was trying but it just wasn't happening for him.

interesting that they weren't so upfront when they cut grizzard.

coach starting to get a little edgy??

Reply #298552 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I think anon #298516 pretty much hit the nail on the head... Robilliard is way out of his depth in this league.

Reply #298555 | Report this post

Red  
Years ago

Henry will be head coach next season

Reply #298571 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I laugh at people who watch a couple of games on tv and claim the level of NBL imports is bad. McCullough averaged 15p, 5r and 4s in 3 games against Euroleague team last year, and 16p, 6r and 1s in 10 games against Eurocup teams. He averaged 18ppg in the NBA D.

He was in a situation that obviously didnt suit him, but he can obviously play the game. The price you pay for our local talent being good is that not just any import who was good in college our in a European league will succeed out here.

Reply #298575 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Good call that ^

Reply #298578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah and Jerome Beasley tore up the D-League and was a fat joke out here with the Kings a few years back. The D-League is crap look at Winder.

Back to Latvia, Taj.

Reply #298580 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I suppose Euroleague teams are crap too, anon?

Reply #298589 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Iverson's start in Turkey has been mixed. He's averaging 9.6 points and 3.6 assists after five games.

Reply #298592 | Report this post

hoiboy  
Years ago

They did sign a player who looks like a better fit for the roster though - http://www.asternwarning.com/20101207867/articles/nbl/sydney-kings-sign-former-nbaer-trey-gilder.html

I've watched the Kings a few times and was pretty disappointed with Taj, floated out of the game way too much which is a killer for an import. Having said that, can't blame it all on him - the Kings offense looks ghastly at times and that's definitely on Moose's head, I mean the half court offense has been a joke when not throwing it into Khazzouh. Not having a solid PG (Luke Martin just working his way back) doesn't help either.

Hopefully with Gilder and Sanders they can get out into transition more.

Reply #298680 | Report this post

hoiboy  
Years ago

BTW I actually thought Taj's effort level has been pretty solid in the games I've watched. He did get beat down the floor in the Breakers game when he complained to the refs, but that happens to everyone once in a while.

The fall in the coaching standards from Goorjian to Moose has been staggering, LOL. Every Goorjian Kings team were obviously well coached.

Reply #298684 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:27 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754