ritz
Years ago

When can your child start playing basketball?

Hi guys,

I have a 5 year old son who wants to play basketball.
Can he play anywhere yet?

I did find one place www.getactivesports.com.au (which I think he'll enjoy)

He already does auskick, which lets them start at 5...

Topic #25685 | Report this topic

MB  
Years ago

"Aussie Hoops" down at pasadena on thursday and friday for 5-7 year olds. Ring up Sturt Basketball Club if you want more information. It's a 45 minute training session on both days .. I think it's like $4 a session.

Reply #320114 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Hang on there MB, Sturt isn't the only lolly shop in the street ....

Ritz, what suburb do you live in?

Check out the Basketball SA website and find your nearest club. There are plenty of Aussie Hoops clinics around this great state.

Reply #320116 | Report this post

Dirty Sturty  
Years ago

Lets Face it Jack, actually they are!

Reply #320122 | Report this post

MB  
Years ago

haha I apologise. Go to your nearest club.

...Though if you want your child to develop quicker go to pasadena. But Jack is right, there's a few out there.

Maybe you should try Aussie Hoops down at morphetvale for some of that Southern Tigers expertise.

Reply #320123 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

LOL,
We would hate to see a young player living closer to one club felt the urge to travel a long distance to another just because they didn't know about that other club. After all, we are all trying to limit our carbon footprint.

Reply #320126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ring you local basketball club they will help you or any rec centres that have basketball also

Reply #320128 | Report this post

BM  
Years ago

Southern Tigers run a great Aussie Hoops program that utilizes an experienced current district division 1 and Sasi coach. Not to mention someone who runs siginifcant number of clinics for children of this age on a weekly basis.

Oh and MB great way to promote Basketball in this state, really makes it look professional when misinformed statements such as that are posted.

People like you, are the one of the main reasons basketball in this state is faultering. Your a weak, small minded person, who has nothing better to do with their time than contribute to the political crap that district basketball has become. Your a joke.

Reply #320130 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

5?

Should have got a basketball in his hand the day after he could walk!

Reply #320134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if the above inquiry was genuine I would suspect a thinking parent might look at alternatives sports after reading the crap above

Reply #320137 | Report this post

MB  
Years ago

Haha woah I'm not sure if the punishment fits the crime there. Sorry for making a small joke about the Southern Tigers. I'm sure their Aussie Hoops program is fine.

And I personally don't think basketball in this state is faultering. But then again, if I supported the Tigers I might think differently.

Reply #320139 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

MB -- MEEEOW
You must have been "shafted" by Tigers, but it's good to see that all clubs are percieved to have problems

Reply #320140 | Report this post

Wayne  
Years ago

Victor Harbor and surrounds have 5 years old playing and training each week in some instances!

Reply #320141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL BM chill out.

Reply #320145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i would not let your child play district yet let them play social ball much to you

Reply #320155 | Report this post

ClownDog  
Years ago

Anyway, back on track.

I signed up my 3yo daughter for the Get Active Sports thing that the original poster mentioned. It was good because it's just at local schools around the place. Goes for 6 weeks at a time.

And nothing is funnier than the trainer trying to teach a bunch of 3yos how to dribble a ball. Child drops ball to ground, ball hits feet, ball rolls away, child laughs and chases ball ... the end result is balls and kids going in every direction.

Reply #320168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ClownDog - sounds like a 36ers training session!

Reply #320208 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

My boy was 2 days old when he went to his first sixers game, had a basketball in his hand the next day, he is now 19 months old and all he says is Bachi ball (basketball) i already have a hoop set up for him, just in reaching height and he loves to dunk it, so yeah I'm training him already hahahaha

Reply #320315 | Report this post

Ritz  
Years ago

Don't worry he's been playing at home since he could walk, will get him involved in a club somewhere. He's just eager to play! Plays Auskick, little athletics & karate...

Reply #320332 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:15 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754