KB3
Years ago

Kobe to Turkey?

Eurobasket is linking Kobe to Besiktas. Jason Terry has tweeted about all the NBA players headed to Turkey. Why aren't the NBL making noise about getting players here. Using the Beckham model imagine how many Kobe winglets would be sold to pay for his wage.

Just imagine the profile of the sport if we could land one legit big name to the league.

Topic #25936 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just imagine how broke our teams could go!

Reply #324611 | Report this post

rw  
Years ago

Start trending on twitter #kobe2australia and see if we can get any NBA players responding to it including the great man Kobe. See if we can get a top 10 trend.

Reply #324621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Istanbul has 5x the population of Sydney.... Lots more money, a much bigger market than Australia to attract these players.

Reply #324630 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Turkey have $$$, and in particular Fenerbahce Ulker and Besiktas along with a few other teams.

I doubt Kobe will head to Turkey, but a few other players may.

Reply #324638 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Why would Kobe even bother? He's not broke, and his body broke down towards the end of last season. An extended break is EXACTLY what he needs to get his body right and rediscover his killer instinct.

Reply #324642 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Kobe was turning down $500k/mo last I heard and asking for double that. Besiktas are embroiled in a bit of a financial controversy right now and can't pay him anyway.

Something I learned in Istanbul, the Ss in Besiktas are pronounced "sh" - imagine you're Sean Connery when saying it. My iPad keyboard won't allow me to write it the correct way though, needs the little tail like this ç.

Reply #324648 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Just double checked - called a cedilla/cedille.

Reply #324649 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Turkey Airlines is the main sponsor of the Turkish Basketball Federation.
And Kobe has a 2 year deal to endorse Turkey Airlines (i.e. They are sponsoring him)

A lot of people are saying that Turkey Airlines could easily fund a large proportion of his salary as a 'third party' payment.

This could happen..

Reply #324653 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I agree Libertine, R&R is exactly what Kobe needs and the same would prob go for some other players. I realize that pro athletes only have a short window to cash in on their talents but not when you are an International Superstar of your chosen sport and will go down as one of the best, ever. Kobes window to make $ will never fully close if he finishes his career with dignity, he will have the option to coach, manage and numerous T.V opportunities when he retires all of which will make an offer from Europe during this lockout a small waste of time. The only positive that I can see is that he would be able to secure more marketing $ from Europe now and in the future with a higher profile over there from playing. I can't see it happening though, solely based on his injuries last season and the fact his team got swept out of the playoffs.
Would be great for Basketball in Europe, imagine the crowds they would get with a name like Kobe on the court.

Reply #324654 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Agree that the rest would be best for him.
But were talking about Kobe Bryant..
In 09 (think it was 09-10 season), he played with a broken finger, ankle sprains, inflamed knee, a bout of plantar fasciitis and severe back pain.
After he broke his finger at Cleveland, a reporter asked him will he play the next game, and his reply was: "What do you think?"

I don't think Kobe listens to those people that say he needs to sit out and take time off.
He has that Jordan instinct and I love it about him.

Reply #324656 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/basketball/news/article/-/9921817/locked-nba-star-eyes-beach-volleyball/

Kevin Love is looking at playing Beach Volleyball during the lockout in L.A

Reply #324822 | Report this post

titan 28  
Years ago

"Bish e tarsh" = Besiktas

Reply #324981 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:31 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754