Anonymous
Years ago

Video of the technical - Proof it was Radford

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQgdzQ7C0FY&feature=related

Watch from the 12:30 mark onwards.

McDonald points at Radford for the tech. Radford points at the baseline referee as if to say "I was saying it to him not you."

Looks like Radford got the technical for talking to the baseline referee after McDonald told him to shut it.

Also if you listen quietly at the 13:07 mark you can hear the microphones on the referees: 'Radford....Radford...he doesn't know when enough's enough."

Says it all really.

Topic #27420 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Looks like a fair assessment. Radford's body language suggests it was him.

Reply #348436 | Report this post

Pug42  
Years ago

The fact that the coaching staff even hinted at a player being responsible is a complete disgrace.

Radford's reaction says it all.

If the tech was on a player, you can bet he would have received a mouthful from the coaching staff.

Audio after the call all but confirms it was him.

Reply #348440 | Report this post

kobe24  
Years ago

This is really ugly to view, considering everyone stayed mum on the issue. Cameras and audio dont lie, 6ers coaching staff does, but not the technology haha

Reply #348442 | Report this post

very old  
Years ago

Hey, they could have just been talking about Radford's carb loading before ( and after ) games.

i am certain that Radford would have owned up to it rather than use a Bartism like "it wasn't me, I didn't do it".

I mean , how could any of the players keep respect for a coach who will not take clear responsibility for the consequences of their own action ?

Reply #348444 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

What's also quite amazing is just how well cairns capitalised on the whole sequence... 3 point play, 3 free throws all made and then a triple... When it rains it pours!

Reply #348448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont think that is conclusive, looks like the ref points further down the bench. Radford does react though.

Reply #348450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can hear the referee say "Radford...Radford, he doesn't know when enough's enough."

What isn't conclusive about that? Add all that up to the body language of the Sixers bench and it's very damning.

Reply #348451 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Did you read what u just wrote 'very old'!!

Reply #348461 | Report this post

dud  
Years ago

Thank God Clarke and Radford dont coach my team. Really feel for Adelaide.

Reply #348462 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

If you watch it Radford is actually engaged in talking with the baseline ref.

The T is called and Radford clearly points that he was talking to the other ref

No doubt something was said but as Brett said on the commentary the game should be decided by the players and not the refs

Reply #348477 | Report this post

Julian  
Years ago

No wonder Beveridge didn't want him.

Reply #348479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont get this whole let the players decide.
Does that mean I can say whatever I want, do whatever I want, and the referee cant call a technical foul on me?
No - If you do something that is stupid enough after being told not to, then you should be penalised.
We clearly see here the referee telling the coach to tell him to shut up, and he kept going!
Stupid Red-heads

Reply #348485 | Report this post

MikefromtheK  
Years ago

Are you sure the refs weren't talking about Radford's food intake?

Reply #348486 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

No what i am saying is that Clarke and Radford where having 2 seperate conversations with the different refs

Radford got T'd up by the ref that was talking to Clarke

If what Radford said was T able then why didnt the baseline ref call it?

Too many games this season have been decided by refs decisions.

As Maher said the refs should have managed the situation better and let the result come from on court play rather than through a whistle

Reply #348487 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Pretty hard for a ref to call a tech if you don't back chat them and whine all the time though

That's the problem as I see it, both Radford and Clarke spend too much time riding the refs whe they need to concentrate on actually coaching the team.
When they played up here it was laughable and at one point Clarke had to ask what happened on a play as he missed it due to concentrating on the ref.

Reply #348490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You peanuts who believe that The T wasn't deserve, and let the players play and the refs shouldn't decide the game, are a fucken cop out. You simply add to the reason the sixers are so terrible at the moment. You defend the actions of a useless coach, who after the head coach discussed the issue with the referee had to open his mouth. Fact is the teams decided the result, as the 6ers deserved the T and Cairns capitalised.

The excuse he was talking to the baseline ref is a cop out. The baseline ref is over the other side of the keyway.

Suck it up, 6ers should own up to the T and actually get some respect from the fans.

Reply #348496 | Report this post

kobe24  
Years ago

All this really has done, is turn the issue away from why to guys ran at one shooter, and fouled a jump shooter, then no one closed out on the Grabau 3. OUCH

Reply #348498 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I wonder if Leeanne Grantham has heard the audio? It seems clear from the evidence that the T was on Radford and his big mouth, regardless that he might have been saying it to the baseline ref. Fact is that if he hadn't opened his mouth the T wouldn't have been called.

Seriously, if what we can clearly hear there was true (the T being on Radford) and then Clarke & Radford have gone to Grantham and said it wasn't them but they can't say what 'player' it was because they don't know that does it for me, I have lost total confidence and respect for them. Players being accountable for their own performances is needed but so the should coaches.

Sure, the game is over and the result is in the book but this is just bull$hit. Someone (the person or assistant coach...) responsible needs to man up and come clean.

Reply #348500 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Also just looking at the footage you can clearly see Radford's head moving as he's saying something (in the direction of the baseline ref) right before the T was called. As soon as its called Radford points straight at the ref on the baseline saying he was talking to him.

Doesn't matter who he said it to, fact is that outburst caused the T to be called.

I don't normally swear like this in a public forum but for Clarke & Radford to then go to Grantham and plead ignorance is a fucking joke.

Reply #348501 | Report this post

Take Luck  
Years ago

Spoke to the umpire involved during the week. T was on radford coz he wouldnt shut up. plain and simple. was told multiple times to do so, didnt and resulted in the tech.

Reply #348507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I didnt see anything to make me think it is radford and I dont know waht you guys are on about. Watched the video about 5 times and in slow motion and there is nothing there to suggest it was radford and even amazed ref could hear him from where he was with all the noise going on...

Reply #348517 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I hate the thought that a Tech can be called outside the court. Fouls of any sort should be a penalisation of players of the game only and not refs or anyone else who is not playing the game. Instead of issuing a Tech, why not deal with problem and disrespectful coaches by eliminating them from the arena. Let the players decided for themselves how they are going to play out the rest of the game. In Adelaide's case, they would be doing us a favour.

Reply #348520 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Nothing to suggest it was Radford? Ok Anon you're either Mark Radford or in dire need of getting your eyes and hearing checked.

Reply #348524 | Report this post

aiden  
Years ago

i actually agree with anonymous ... radfords sitting down, whilst marty clarke is standing and arguing with the ref. The audio in my opinion says "Radford, Radford, be quiet. HE doesn't know when enough is enough". It sounds like the refs are explaining to radford that marty doesnt know when enough is enough... Hence the tech was on marty. Inconclusive.

Reply #348537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aiden, the only problem with your theory is that at that point the referees are at the opposite side of the court and talking to each other.

Reply #348540 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

And in assessing the tech, they clearly point away from Clarke.

Bit rough to get one in that situation if he was talking to a different ref, BUT it looks to have been on him and some level of responsibility should've been taken for it. Hell, even if it was on a player, there are still ways to step up and cop it for them publically without throwing them under the bus.

Reply #348550 | Report this post

Baseline ref is on opposite side of key way, so why even discuss it from 25ft away?

Radford's head is moving and it appears he's speaking out loud, and just before tech is called, Radford's head turns towards McDonald.

Don't ever recall McDonald as a frivolous tech fouler, and clearly A please explain required from 36ers coaches to the management.

Reply #348561 | Report this post

Achtung Baby  
Years ago

Was at the game, and it was clearly on radford, at the end of the timeout, radford attempts to stare down Benny from the other side of the court for a good 20 seconds, then shook his head, said a few quiet words to himself, then walked back to the bench still shaking his head.

Reply #348567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Radford saud a few words to himself and got Tech'd?

Reply #348581 | Report this post

Achtung Baby  
Years ago

I said after the Timeout anon, the tech foul was called on Radford before the timeout, if you had paid attention.

Reply #348614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

obvious it was on Radford and as a number of people have tried to say - pathetic of the coaches to try to infer it wasn't them. But are we surprised, coaches take no reponsibility for tech, they never take responsibility for game losses - just listen to Clarke in Apollo Rest (if you don't fall asleep) Even if it wasn't them they always set us up for a T, both coaches don't shut up, how they ever expect to get any 50/50 calls with their continual riding of the refs and don't know what team rules are, but if the coaches are doing it aren't they setting the example.

Reply #348617 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Regardless of which ref the comment was aimed at, that comment caused the T to be called and the culprit needs to man up and come clean. And I still say the culprit is Mark Radford.

Reply #348629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If I was Mitch I would up the creek withoout a paddle.

Reply #348646 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Creek - " It was a bench tech foul. " He kept saying to every question Cornesy asked , for a coupla minutes.
" How can it be on a bench , like you keep on saying ?
It has to be on a person. " - Cornesy , kept at him for a few more minutes , trying get Creek to say something else besides it was a bench tech foul, for five minutes.
Eventually , whew.. Cornesy : " So , the person has owned up to it and apologised to the group and it's gonna be kept at that , a bench tech foul statement."
Creek " " That's correct. "
Rowie : " You knew all along it was one of of the coaches , Cornesy and kept grilling him for a name.
Hard for the coaches to expect discipline from players , when they do this. "

Reply #348937 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Good on Creek for sticking to the group line when interrogated like that. If it was Radford and he's apologised to the group and they have collectively chosen to keep it at that, to maintain unity, that's something. Still think in a season without public accountability, the two coaches could worn it whether it was them or not.

Reply #349004 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:47 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754