Anonymouse
Years ago

Nicolas Batums thoughts on Patty Mills

"Do you think @Patty_Mills's gonna get 20 FGA before this end of the 3rd lol?...Keep shoting bala!" Nicolas Batum
Via twitter.

Keep shooting Bala: exactly what you want from a PG!
Boomers are in trouble.

Topic #28181 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

not if he doesnt play PG

Delevadova!!!

Reply #359913 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

He is a 2 guard in a point guards body, delly should start at PG i think

Reply #359914 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Patty currently has 22 points on 8/21fg with 4 assists in 30+ mins late in the fourth vs Phoenix

Reply #359922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I tend to agree with the idea that Dell' would run point while Patty can support him in the 2 slot, that would not be a horrible way to start a game in my books!

The great thing here is Dell' is 6' 4" and patty has good enough handles for them to switch it up when they need to or even give one another a short spell when they need to...

Flexibility is never a bad thing, is it.....?

As far as shooting the ball goes, well they can both hit the bomb, just depends on how they are at the time, who is hot or who is not - Pressure of the Olympics will be high, go for it boys I say...

Reply #359929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, an already undersized PG guarding an two guard will be great defensively!!!!

Reply #359932 | Report this post

Simon  
Years ago

anon, On Defense they could have Patty guarding the PG, and Delly Guard the 2

Reply #359936 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

What other options does Australia have, until we can find a couple of 6" 4' or 6" 5' guys that can shoot it from outside the arc and have the handles, plus the decision making ability of a PG / SG to take it to the rack in a crowd and score consistently, we have to go with the best we have!

These two have not really played a whole lot together outside of maybe College at St Mary's so we need to give them a go, see what happens....

Maybe they will surprise us?

Reply #359943 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I've been calling for a Delly/Patty 'combo' guard backcourt for a while now, the emphasis being more on Delly as a playmaker and Patty as a scorer. It would also allow Newley to come off the bench as an impact sixth man, and also enable Brett Brown's plan of having both Gibson and Martin in the team.

Reply #359944 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Bear - Patty and Delly did not play together at St Mary's. They would have if Patty didn't decide to leave early, but they missed each other by a year.

Reply #359946 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Thanks Vart, I guess it just proves my point to some degree mate, they have not had too much of a chance to show what they can do together and should be given that opportunity before we judge them too harshly...

Reply #359948 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

With Popovich also being rested, which assistant coach took over? With Mills hogging like that, I wouldn't be surprised if it was Brett Brown giving the green light.

Reply #359949 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Bear, you're quite right mate, they just need to chance. I think it could work out very well, especially defensively. Delly can lock down bigger guards, and Patty can go all out in the full-court harrassment of the opponent PG.

Reply #359954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We could start Patty at centre in the Olympics for all the difference it will make to where we finish as we're just making up the numbers anyway.

Reply #359959 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Good one Anon #359959. Thanks for your positive contribution and attitude.

Reply #359963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think that they gave patty the green light and will prob also for the last game of the season to give him some quality playing time leading up to olympics training camp etc, Brown would have that blessing from Pop and the spurs for sure

A good thing given that he will play almost zero mins in the playoffs unless neal or parker goes down with an injury

Reply #359968 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'm all for constructive suggestions (like Delly alongside Mills) but what's wrong with him jacking up shots in a completely different competition if the instruction was presumably for him to shoulder some scoring? Seems like simply looking for a gripe. The guy had his career high - surely we can appreciate that whether it was in a junk game or not?

A lot of NBA point guards get their shots up - Williams, Westbrook (3/22 FG recently), etc. Big deal.

Reply #359971 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The haters keep hating...

Well done Patty - and he nailed 2/2 from the line at the death to seal the win.

A new career-high, team high and as a starter. I'm sure Patty is doing what he has been told to do...

Reply #359978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why does critism= hate but complements don't = love?

Reply #359979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

look if he scored 5 points and had 15 asists people would still whinge... fact is none of you's are even at NBL level let along NBA let alone dropping 27 on steve nash so shut ya heads/

Reply #359980 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Sensational stuff. Career high,his undermanned team wins. What more needs to be said. I just don't understand why there needs to be any negativity about what Mills did today.

Reply #359985 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Good to see him get big minutes and make something of it. 9/23 isnt great but bad shooting nights arent as frowned on in the NBA if you get the numbers in the end, not to mention make the clutch FTs. Amazing step up from a couple of years back to now nail 27 in a meaningful game! Hopefully this will help him get some playoff minutes.

As for the lovez v haterz debate, seriously, it's a load of crap. If someone thinks 27p on 9/23 is amazing, theyre allowed to think that. If someone thinks he shouldnt be jacking up so many shots, that's perfectly fine too. Neither of those arguments are unreasonable.

Reply #359988 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

He seemed to shoot at a better clip as the game wore on and his AST/TO ratio improved.

Re the suggestion that using a starting combo of Mills and Dellavedova would enable having both Martin and Gibson in the squad as well, that to me would be a terrible decision. That'd be far too much dead weight in the team. In 2008 the Boomers seemed to do ok with just two primary ballhandlers (Bruton and Mills). If Mills and Delly are in the side I personally don't think you need either of Martin or Gibson. Though I would bring in someone like Crawford who can at least stretch the d.

Reply #360005 | Report this post

Oden08  
Years ago

I'm guessing that no one posting here has ever missed a shot while playing in an NBA game?

Reply #360023 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^

Have you ever been a politician? No? Then never say anything bad about a politician ever again.

Great logic, mate.

Reply #360025 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Jez, I was alluding to the Gibson/Martin issue purely because it seems Brett Brown likes to run with that many guards. He had Mills/Gibson/Markovic/Martin in Turkey, and continued the trend with Mills/Dellavedova/Gibson/Martin in the Olympic qualifiers last year, with three of those guys coming off the bench.

Reply #360058 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Issac, I agree totally with what you're saying. Given the big three were out I definitely think Mills would have been given the green light to make plays. And I don't think it was a junk game either, with Phoenix playing for the eighth spot.

In terms of pairing Mills with Delly, I just think we need to play to Patty's strength. He is obviously a world class scorer, so why should we force him into being a distributor? Take away the pressure of him having to run the offence, and just let him do what he does best.

Reply #360059 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Vart, the suns were only playing for pride, their lost to the Jazz the other night gave the Jazz the final playoff spot. It might have been Nash's last game as a sun though

Reply #360063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Christ- Delly guarding Chris Paul, Patty guarding Kobe. Love it.

Reply #360066 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Pretty sure it would be the other way around. We arent going to beat the USA though, so worrying about matchups with them is kind of pointless.

Reply #360070 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

HIGHEST INDIVIDUAL SCORING PERFORMANCES BY AUSTRALIANS IN THE NBA.

Andrew Bogut: 32 v Dallas, 2010
Patty Mills: 27 v Phoenix, 2012
Chris Anstey: 26 v Boston, 1998
Luc Longley: 24 v Milwaukee, 1998
David Andersen: 19 v Los Angeles Lakers, 2009
Nathan Jawai: 16 v Portland, 2009
Shane Heal: 15 v Seattle, 1996

Reply #360102 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Mills has 10 points in the first 5 minutes of the game of 4/6 shooting with 1 assist. That scoring record might be at risk!

Reply #360104 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

14 at the end of the 1st. 6/9 from the field.

Reply #360112 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Patty Mills has 16 points, 3 Assists and 1 Block Shot, 3 Turnovers, 1 Steal, 2 Rebs, shooting 6-10 (2-4 from 3pt) - 8 mins gone in 2nd Qtr!

Reply #360115 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Finished with 18 and 4 for the half. Let's hope he gets 30 and 10! Great game so far

Reply #360118 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

4 assists and 3 turnovers...if he can keep the TO's down in the 2nd half and keep shooting at the good clip he is - should be great numbers!

He also nailed a buzzer beater at the half-time buzzer!

Reply #360120 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Certainly speaks highly of the NBL that Patty can perform like this in the NBA. He is really showing he belongs.

Reply #360121 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

His halftime shooting clip is good. Hope he can keep it up.

At the half:
18 points (7/12 FG, 2/5 3pt), 4 assists, in just under 20 minutes.

Reply #360125 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Although we should point out that apparently Golden State has started 5 rookies. Not exactly great competition.

Reply #360126 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

rjd - Patty has 22 and 6 in just over a half. He's appropriately carving up those NBA rookies.

Reply #360131 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Up to 22 and 9 near the end of the 3rd

Reply #360138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

22pts 8ass 4to

Reply #360139 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

22 and 9 at the end of the 3rd. Any Aussies ever got a double-double in assists?

Reply #360141 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

22pts (9/17 FG, 2/7 3PT, 2/2 FT), 9ass, 1stl, 1blk, 4to up to 3 qtr time!

A big double-double coming up folks! He is shooting at more than 50% and has a great assist to turnover ratio so far...

Go Patty!

Reply #360142 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

LC, do you run Aussie Hoopla?

Reply #360146 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

24 and 12 now. Has 5 boards as well. Should see some highlights on NBA.com later - some assists led to dunks for team mates

Reply #360147 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Nope...

Reply #360148 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

24 points, 12 assists, 4 turnover's...6min to go and we have a 2-point ball game.

Reply #360149 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Oh, and 5 rebounds...

Reply #360150 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

30 points now, 5 mins to go

Reply #360151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3 goggles make a comeback in Pop's absence!

Reply #360152 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Wow! two massive triples to give the Spurs some breathing space...32 points, 12 assists, 5 rebounds with 4 TO's so far...

Reply #360158 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

34, 12 and 5 for the game. Congrats Patty on a huge game and another win for the Spurs!

Reply #360159 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Mills enjoying the PT against the tanking Warriors. Some clutch plays for Mills.

34 pts (14/25 FG, 4/10 3pt), 12 assists, 5 rebounds, 1 block, 1 steal, 4 turnovers in 43 minutes.

Reply #360160 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

So is that the Aus record for Mills then? Congratulations either way Patty!

Reply #360161 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Massive, massive game for Mills - a big double-double! He basically led the star-less Spurs to a second straight win.

34 points (14/25 FG, 4/10 3PT, 2/2 FT), 5 rebounds, 12 assists, 1 steal, 1 block and 4 turnovers in 43 minutes.

He shot just under 50% which is very good going and made the big plays and shots down the stretch to get the win.

Reply #360163 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Top Aussie individual scoring efforts of all time in the NBA revisited...

Patty Mills: 34 vs Golden State, 2012
Andrew Bogut: 32 v Dallas, 2010
Patty Mills: 27 v Phoenix, 2012
Chris Anstey: 26 v Boston, 1998
Luc Longley: 24 v Milwaukee, 1998
David Andersen: 19 v Los Angeles Lakers, 2009
Nathan Jawai: 16 v Portland, 2009
Shane Heal: 15 v Seattle, 1996

Reply #360166 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Even higeer than Kyrie Irvings high score of 32!

Reply #360167 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

And got the Spurs to 50 wins with #'s 49 and 50 coming with Patty as the starting PG, dropping 61 points over the two games! Amazing.

Reply #360168 | Report this post

Naph  
Years ago

LC: If you're going to list both Patty's high games in your list then Bogut is going to clog your leaderboard.

Bogut had 31 points in Dec 2010 against Orlando
Bogut had 31 points in Dec 2009 against Indiana
Bogut had 29 points in Dec 2007 against Phoenix

Numerous more 25+ games.

You can check his entire career of game logs at either Yahoo or ESPN.

Reply #360201 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Since LC produced the first list, I'd say he accidentally left in Mills previous performance when updating it.

Reply #360217 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Yep I did...

Reply #360229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Patsanity

Reply #360237 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:18 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754