Degenerate
Years ago

Sam's Report - 'Sutton shuts down Southern'

Sam's Report
Volume 2
"Sutton Shuts Down Southern"

I went down to Wayville tonight, to a surprisingly large crowd, Brad Newly's appearance got the youngsters excited, and the focus in this report is the youngsters who attend.

The Kids
A lot of kids attend ABL matches, which is great. Most of them either shoot around or watch the game. Though I think a lot of people forget about the kids, as my next header will explain. I sat next to a few kids who wouldn't have been older than 6, that loved the Warm-Up plays and would "Whoo" every dunk.

Swearing
I think that the language used at ABL matches is not needed or acceptable. This is a family occasion for some and they come to the match to see some quality basketball and not have swearing and other offensive language coming out. I think that swearing, though not a big problem gets out of hand and you have to remember who is around you and when to use it.

The Women's Match
Glad I got their to see most of this match, I was glad to see a large crowd attend and watch, usually more show up only for the men's match.

Brad Newly, Again!
Show Time! Newly played well as usual and slammed down a HUGE! Dunk early, this got the fans and especially the kids roaring for more. Brad did one play that he missed a lay-up then rebounded and shot it back in, the weird thing is it looked like he did it all off one jump.

The Roaring Tigers
The Tigers actually played a great game; I think it surprised a few at how much they stayed alive, they kept fighting back and looked to have a strong line-up. I don't know much bout the tigers but I wouldn't count them out just yet.

Matt Sutton
Tonight I give him the best on court. I asked a few their opinions and they all said Matt Sutton. Good game Matt as usual even though you're a little sore in the shoulder you manage to get through and play a top game.

Week in Review
The NBA playoffs are heating up, Steve Nash certain to win MVP, and I think Houston will get across in the Final against Miami. A Shaq Vs Yao Grand Final?

FINAL SCORES
F/Ville Women Win (Don't Ask For Score I do not remember as usual, I blame TV!)
F/Ville Men 91 def. Southern Men 79

Topic #2826 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Sutton was 2-13 from the field. Must've been doing the little things that mattered!

Dix certainly had the best statline! 63 HSA (equal second best in the league this season) - 23 points (9-13, 2-4 3P, 3/3 FT), 11 rebounds, 6 assists, 6 blocks(!), 1 steals, 4 turnovers. in 43 minutes.

Newley had 40 HSA for 30 points and 8 rebounds. His lowest turnover count for the year too.

Reply #32108 | Report this post

Degenerate  
Years ago

Isaac,

It would seem that yes Sutton didn't hit too well from the field, but it was what doesn' show on he stats sheet that helped tonight

Reply #32109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The womens score was Forestville 71 / Southern 62.

Reply #32110 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Forestville look to have been without Jenni Screen, but Southern seem to have missed a starter also. Much closer scoreline than I would have expected.

Reply #32111 | Report this post

Sutton was no where near the best tonight. He had alot of missed shots, ones that were wide open, and a few late turnovers along with some pretty ordinary defence at times as well!

Dix was by far the best! I think people just expect great things from him now so when he does play well he doesn't get the recognition.

Newley was great also. A bit lazy defensively at times but when he put his mind to it, he looked very tough to play against.

Hardiman best for the tigers. Ben Hodges should have played more. When you are struggling to score you need your best scorer out there, and Ben is their best scorer so bad coaching in my opinion. Bowley worked hard, along with Gerlach, but just not enough fire power...

The Tigers look passive and heartless at the moment. Not where near the team of last year. I think they will struggle to win more than a couple more games this season.

Reply #32115 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

Degenerate - you gave sutton best??? surely not for the game against tigers. Dix was a standout, and even without the HSA, i would have picked dix by a country mile. He dictated the tempo of the game, was very vocal in offense and defense, and when needed, sacrificed himself out of the game for the benfit of the team. In the third he played the point (well brought the ball up, and lead from the top of the key), which drew Bowley out and create space for Newley, Sully, Sutton, and Wilson to pentrate. Was a great game tho.

In the womens, Forestville seemed to have the game, but tigers kept pegging it back to be within 4 points in the last 2 mins.

Reply #32122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

was matt gange not well to play or is he just out of favour at the moment? the kid has been playing some great ball and played only 9 mins by far his lowest of the season! wat was the go?

Reply #32135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

must have been injured, i was at the game and he was really slow.

By slow, i mean he couldn't move up and down the court with the big guys! Was getting caught too easy pushing the ball on the break, and couldn't get a step on his penetration.

His ball skills were acceptbale, but had no where near the athletiscm needed to compete at that level!

Reply #32137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

just spoke to a mate of mine from the eagles and his thoughts are that ganes has been crook all week with gastro as he even looked sluggish in ressys during the week. so im sure he will be back to his best next week.

Reply #32138 | Report this post

pickle  
Years ago

degenerate,
generally speaking i enjoy your reports to date, but you must be joking about sutton. he was not in the best five players on court. dix was clearly best on court.
please continue the reports though.

Reply #32143 | Report this post

Degenerate  
Years ago

To answer most of you,

It is what I asked of people.
I actually went off and shot for about half of the game.

Anyway. can you give ya thoughts on the swearing issue

Reply #32148 | Report this post

Mr Hair Machine  
Years ago

Matt Gange was not sick. The loss of his flowing dreads to a No1 is the cause of his ills! (Is that a thumbprint I see on the forehead?)

Reply #32152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Matt Sutton single cos he's a cutie?!

Reply #32219 | Report this post

Satish Dogra  
Years ago

Hey Degenerate,

I wasn't there, but I asked a few people and apparently Germany won the war.

Reply #32238 | Report this post

potatohead  
Years ago

Well done degenreate again for writing up an impressive report after the game! Dix definetly to win mvp at the end of season. Good to see eagles winning and hopefully making it to the finals. When you you were talking about the swaering, is it the spectators or the players? Good to see a good turnup agreat game and is fun for the younger players than come to watch! Go Eagles!

Reply #32255 | Report this post

What swering?  
Years ago

I too would like to know what swearing was heard at the game. I was in the stands and didn't hear any.

Reply #32360 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:33 am, Mon 6 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754