Isaac
Years ago

36ers back-up big position

Pero V? Been training with them.

18.3 PPG, 11.4 RPG, 3.9 APG for the Rockets.

Wonder if they could sneak him through as a three-point player or whatever we'd need?

Topic #29074 | Report this topic

skip  
Years ago

Another Blaze player! (Not that he did much with them.)

Pretty certain we only have 13 points left, so If they have any intention to get an import, he would have to be 3 or less.

He would be a solid player. But you would only play him if the big guys are in foul trouble.

Reply #375990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I had been calling for it to be Pero V or Mottram and not some kid as most suggested.

Good to hear.

Reply #375992 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Massingale and Pero V unrated - probably 13points.

Reply #375993 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

Yeah I'm a big fan of Pero, i think he would be a good fit, and a top bloke who's always full of energy...

Reply #375994 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

I was chatting to Mitch Creek on Saturday night about him, and it seems he gets along with all the boys too, so thats a bonus...

Reply #375995 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Do we need a back up bigman given we have DJ, Luke, Petire and Weigh. We only play one game a week on average so why not just get a young big.

Reply #375997 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

We'd have some level heads in Schenscher and Petrie, and youth elsewhere, so whoever they get is a wildcard, IMO.

I assume he can still dunk pretty hard? If so, I feel sorry for whichever development players he got on against in garbage time.

Reply #375998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's the averge age for the 6ers? The got all these player's, it's not gona work

Reply #376000 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

If Pero keeps his head straight he could be useful.

Also, previous post says what now?

Reply #376006 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

It's a pretty good mix you'd think age wise.
I'll put in the ages of Pero and CJ Massingale, if the rumours are wrong, then so be it.

Here's the ages (as of 31/12/2012)

C Shenscher (30)/Pero (34)
F Johnson (24)/Petrie (27)
F Weigh (25)/Creek (20)
G Gibson (26)/CJ Massingale (30)
G Cadee (21)/Crosswell (31)

Reply #376007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

exactly great mix of young guys and experienced guys, id be very happy if that ended up being our team, looks a lot better than the past few seasons on paper anyway.

If Massingale is the import and he naturalises at somepoint in the next year or so (im pretty sure ive seen talk he is in the process) that could be a great advantage for us in the future, as it gives us great flexibility to replace say a Gibson and/or Weigh with a import next year if they decided to leave, I think they are the 2 free agents next offseason, so looks good for the next 2-3 years really.

2012/13 Line up

Schenscher/? Vasiljevic
Johnson/Petrie
Weigh/Creek
Gibson/Massingale
Cadee/Crosswell

Baring none of the young guys going to Europe the worst we should expect the following season (worse case our 2 main Free agents Weigh and Gibson walk and say Crosswell retires)

Potential 2013/14 line up

C Schenscher/Vasiljevic

PF Johnson/Petrie

SF Creek/ import sg/sf/pf if Massingale naturalised or a guy like Daniel Dillon/Brad Hill

SG star Import Combo guard/Massingale

Cadee/? Tom Daly/Shaun Bruce could be options (not huge mins required from this spot with a import combo guard backing up Cadee)

So the next 2 seasons look exciting to me, cant wait for the season to start

Reply #376014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe Pero has now been rated as a 3 which fits in nicely. Also we need someone bigger just in case Schensher gets a niggle through the season with his hips.

That team looks nicely balanced and getting CJ and Pero would not disappoint this season ticket holder

Reply #376021 | Report this post

???  
Years ago

Rahiem Brown, would be a great wild card. Has plenty of international experience. I also hear he will be a citizen soon.

Reply #376033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Personally I have always worried about a player that has his own name tattooed on his arm.

Reply #376035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Rahiem Brown, would be a great wild card. Has plenty of international experience. I also hear he will be a citizen soon."

In shit leagues. The hotdogs aren't much chop either.

Reply #376045 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

How close is CJ to becoming an Aussie? I'm sure Ive been hearing his name for 7 or 8 years now. Has he started the process?

Reply #376056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpbK6CtbmJo&feature=relmfu

Reply #376059 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

We have two import spots free - who cares about naturalisation!

Reply #376075 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Always thinking about the future!

Reply #376079 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Pero Vasiljevic confirmed as an option for the 36ers:

"We have three starting-quality bigs and we're looking for a fourth player," he said.

Clarke said North playing-coach and NBL journeyman Pero Vasiljevic was amid the contenders.

"He's a great guy, he's South Australian and he desperately wants to be a 36er," Clarke said.
Didn't know he was coaching North as well - good on him. And keen to suit for the Sixers. Grab him, I say.

Reply #376080 | Report this post

boss  
Years ago

get him!!!!!

Reply #376091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes get him - He is SA and passionate. At least you know he will give it his all.

Reply #376092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pero is a great guy and would help the 6ers. Adelaide boy as well!

Reply #376094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting that Clarke said a tall 2/3, guessing it's not massingale. Pero would be perfect bench big.

Reply #376098 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He said "undersize wing" in the article I read which doesn't suggest a tall 2/3 to me. Have you seen a different comment?

Reply #376100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry Isaac it's Friday. My bad.

Reply #376106 | Report this post

Justsayin  
Years ago

Anon earlier that was talking about Brown playing in S$&t leagues, firstly check the teams he has played for and secondly, the NBL is such a 'tough' league in the scale of world wide leagues isn't it. Regardless of if you think he would suit the sixers or not, bagging someone on here is cowardly.

Reply #376201 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Anon earlier that was talking about Brown playing in S$&t leagues, firstly check the teams he has played for and secondly, the NBL is such a 'tough' league in the scale of world wide leagues isn't it.

--------------------------------------------------

The only league he has played in comparable to the NBL was nine years ago in Italy, where he averaged 9p and 5r. Other leagues he has played in are Argentina, Portugal, Kazakhstan, Philippines, China, New Zealand (14p and 7r) and Egypt.

But I agree, he shouldnt be bagged out, especially given we are taking about the 10th spot on the 36ers' roster not a starring role.

Reply #376207 | Report this post

Justsayin  
Years ago

Exactly Paul, but that said, I don't know to many even 6th men in the NBL that would get import jobs in any of those countries. Who is the best Aussie player at the moment in the NBL? Would they get an import job? Not a criticism, just a question to put the league in perspective.

Reply #376216 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That's a good question. There will probably be five or six imports coming off the bench in the NBL this season who could get jobs in some or all those leagues (except Italy).

Many NBL players would be good enough to be imports in Kazakhstan, Egypt and New Zealand. Brown's last stint was in NZ producing 14 and 7 which is a similar level to Jeremiah Trueman last season.

Reply #376229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CJ is in the mix.

Reply #376306 | Report this post

???  
Years ago

Paul, if 'many' of the current NBL players are good enough to be imports in those leagues mentioned, why aren't they? Those leagues pay way more for imports than simple NBL wages that are taxed high and include other expenses as all part of the cap? I think that there would be very limited amounts of players in the NBL that would pick up import spots.

Reply #376368 | Report this post

???  
Years ago

Secondly Paul, what is your experience with these other leagues? are you a sports agent?

Reply #376369 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

if 'many' of the current NBL players are good enough to be imports in those leagues mentioned, why aren't they?

Because it's Egypt and Kazakhstan. Anyone from Australia would pay not to have to live/play there. And NZ wouldn't pay more than the ANBL.

Look at Chris Anstey, had a stint in Israel, returned home. Australia is a decent place to play and a great place to live, that's worth something. Don't forget there's being close to family etc. as well.

Secondly Paul, what is your experience with these other leagues? are you a sports agent?

At the very least he's an intelligent hoop fan who's one of the more respected regular contributors.

Reply #376376 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

...And in the situation that NZBL is more lucrative for the less talented ANBL players - they do go over there and play anyway. Several ANBL players play in the NZBL as well, because it's during our offseason.

Reply #376377 | Report this post

win  
Years ago

KET, the money paid in thos countries far surpasses that paid in the NBL. playeers that want to make some money go their, guys that can't pull those types of contracts don't.

Are you saying that someone who is on $80k-100k here (gross so more like $65k)would turn down a 6 month contract at 250K?

Please educate me then with a list of current NBL players (not imports) that can get gigs there.

Reply #376488 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

???, I think paul writes now and then for FIBA and seems to follow international leagues a lot more closely than almost anyone else posting here.

Brown's last stint was in NZ producing 14 and 7 which is a similar level to Jeremiah Trueman last season.
Couldn't have found a Miles Pearce comparison?

If Brown wanted to play basketball in the NBL, he'd be training (for free), dominating ABL, tearing up NZ NBL. Until he's doing that, I presume the passion or opportunities have slipped by?

Pero seems to be doing the right things - playing locally, doing pretty well, showing serious interest in the 36ers, etc. It's a bench role and the last thing we need is someone who doesn't know their spot in the team. I get the impression that Pero has matured a bit over the years to know his spot, defer to others when needed, etc.

Remember how long David Cooper played NBL. Smyth/etc were a big fan of what he brought to teams that fans didn't always see.

Reply #376490 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

You're asking for a list of players that can get a gig there - by offer? That would be like saying LeBron James couldn't pull an ANBL contract because he hasn't been offered a contract from an ANBL team. The mere lack of an offer is probably more because it's unlikely an ANBL player would want to actually play there.

By comparison? We've never seen an Aussie NBL club play against a team from Egypt or Kazakhstan. Do we need to see the Los Angeles Lakers v Adelaide 36ers to know who would be better?

By player movement? This is the only way to (sort of) prove the bleeding obvious that any intelligent hoopster would know.

Anatoly Bose signed Team Astana in the Kazakh National League. Is Bose the best Aussie from last season's NBL? Is he the only one visibly superior and able to get a contract?

Is Bose significantly superior (or superior at all) to Thomas Abercrombie? To Daniel Johnson? Cameron Tragardh?

What about Aussie Boomer Damien Martin? Olympians Crawford and Gibson? Worthington who has played in Germany and Serbia (superior European leagues), what about Julian Khazzouh (Netherlands, Israel)

We've got several Aussie players who have played in far better European leagues. You think they wouldn't be able to compete in a Kazakh or Egyptian league?

Do you think because Brett Maher spent his career playing for the Adelaide 36ers (with a small off-season stint in Turkey), that he wasn't good enough to play in Europe for most of his career instead?

We've seen historically Australian players return home in the middle of Euro stints;

Martin Cattalini played with the Adelaide 36ers in the middle of stint in Spain. Chris Anstey played for the Titans after playing in the NBA and prior to a stint in the Euroleague/VTB league (before returning home again).

There's a reason to give up big cash, and if you aren't in an average team in a good league in a decent country, playing in Australia for less cash closer to family is a much more appealing option. The ANBL has enough talent to be superior to the European leagues that aren't Euroleague, VTB, Italian, Greek, Lithuanian, German, Serbian etc.

Reply #376493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Employee of FIBA as an in-house journo.

Reply #376497 | Report this post

Justsayin  
Years ago

KET, how many of those contracts by Aussies were due to the fact their visa allowed them to be a local? I'm sure if you went through the history of the NBL you would find many to could play as imports. But currently, I don't think there are as many local stars playing here as there used to be. In saying that, there are still some quality players, I just don't think as many.

Reply #376502 | Report this post

Justsayin  
Years ago

Isaac, I don't disagree that Pero will get the spot as right this moment he is the best option, but there was a swipe at a player and I think that player is of a calibre that would allow him to be at the 10th spot on an NBL roster.

KET, comparing Lebron James' ability to get an NBL gig with an Aussies ability get a contract as an import (not a local) is crazy. Name some current names that would be at a standard to be an import in the mention leagues.

Reply #376504 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Sadly not an employee of FIBA, but do some contract work for them at tournaments around the world (and now a weekly piece) and contract for AAP covering basketball in Aus.

The money on offer in Egypt and Kazakhstan (except new club Astana) isnt higher than in the NBL from what I know. Egypt's per month is generally low by world standards and the season is exceptionally short. It's nice stop gap work for a month if nothing else is on to keep paying some bills.

In the Middle East there are two leagues I know of that pay decent money and have long seasons, Lebanon and Iran. Other places like Saudi Arabia and Kuwait pay good monthly rates but their seasons are very short (2-3 months) so the total is small. Some of their clubs also play in tournaments that offer good money for a week or two's work.

It is good for an older American who cant/doesnt want to play in more intense leagues like Australia or good Euro comps and dont obviously have a home league they can make decent money in.

They can pick up decent money for a short amount of time and then move onto the next short gig.

For an Aussie though, they can earn guaranteed money for one long season in their home country in a much higher standard league.

Why would they ever want to risk playing as an import in those short-term leagues where they may well end up earning around the NBL minimum wage if a deal falls through and they end up with only one 2-3 month deal for the entire season?

Reply #376513 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

1. Pick an alias and stick with it
2. I mentioned 8-9 players
3. Read Paul's latest post

Reply #376522 | Report this post

win  
Years ago

Daniel Johnson as an import?????

Reply #376583 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:31 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754