Isaac
Years ago

Eastern beats North

Eastern beat North by less than 10 after holding a lead of around that margin for much of the game. Brad Davis seemed to be the main scorer for Eastern. McKay was hitting shots when we arrived in the second quarter, but dried up in the final period. Hambour was calling for the ball, but not getting it.

North had a chance late, getting back to four down, but couldn't snatch it from there.

Good crowd -- a lot of people left standing even with the provision of temporary stands.

Topic #298 | Report this topic

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Jacob shot 12/29, 35 points, 22 boards. Davis had 29, Trebilcock 16 & 16, Campbell 15 off the bench. Warhurst had 8 assists.

Hawkes hit 34, 4/5 3s. McKay 21, Zorich was good for 19, Hambour 11 & 17.

Good crowd, good idea by North to get the stand, shame Church Bball have no concept of the bigger picture and wouldn't let them set up before 6.

Goodluck to Eastern in the final, it should be a cracker. Jacob was 'average' tonight and still had 35 & 22, so if he plays well next week... watch out!!

Reply #2234 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

"shame Church Bball have no concept of the bigger picture and wouldn't let them set up before 6."

It depends on who you talk to. Some clubs have excellent relationships with Church Bball, some don't. The way I see it, it comes down to reciprocity. If you help them, they help you. Offer to help with Junior Coaching clinics, appear at trophy presentation nights as guest speakers etc - and you'll be amazed at how much they can do in return.

Maybe North aren't the co-operative type in return - I dunno. Is a good point though - would've been good to allow the extra time.

Can't wait for the final. Look for Woodville to triple-team Holmes for 48 minutes.

Reply #2236 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I've said it before and still can't believe that they would hold preliminary finals in this tin shed. Particularly at Men's ABL level. The erection of a temporary stand did little apart from fit more spectators in and at the insistence of the Mavericks supporters as they alone had 250 coming for this game. The real problem is danger through lack of space. Men at ABL level play too fast and too furious. The danger is there not only for spectators who are only 2 feet away from the court but also to the players themselves. They bash into the walls at high speed without any space whatsoever to slow down before impact. The walls aren't even smooth and level with many steel beams protruding. Their game would have to be very much restricted also knowing the wall and spectators are so close. While North had an advantage because they are familiar with playing in such poor conditions, they still should not have to put up with these conditions. Perhaps that's why this club is so successful in both Men's and Women's ABL, they can deal with these restrictions better than the visiting club (just a thought).

Well done Mavericks, a great performance from the whole team under difficult conditions. Good luck against the Warriors.

Reply #2237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All this complaining about the stadium, its district basketball remember.

Not all clubs have the money to have great stadiums.

Most of the guys playing ABA were brought up playing in old stadiums around Adelaide, so they should be used to it.

I understand it isnt that spectator friendly, but at least they are close to the action.

Reply #2242 | Report this post

incognito  
Years ago

I understand that its just district basketball and not the nbl. BUT the point is it is district basketball and at this level hillcrest is not acceptable. Why dont North and Norwood join together (not merge) and lobby local councils, business, BASA, Government to get a stadium sorted out. Hillcrest just does not cut it and its no secret that one of the reasons Norwood is held back is because of its "mars" relationship.

Reply #2244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another stadium just as bad is Marion, and the lighting at Morphett Vale is terrible.

Dont forget that before it burnt down, Sturt had a pretty terrible stadium, and now only have one of the best because of its deal with Pasadena High.

Reply #2246 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Incognito, it's a good thought that North and Norwood get together to use Mars but I don't know if there is any problems in doing this. I would say that North needs to atleast get its ABL teams out of Hillcrest and into a better stadium as this level of basketball warrants a better stadium. North can continue to use its stadium for junior training and games and also for church clubs but definitely NOT for ABL level of play.

Reply #2247 | Report this post

Wake up!  
Years ago

It's district basketball and you're talking about BASA/privately run venues. This comes up all the time in here and yes North, Norwood, South should be helping BASA and their local Council to find new venues but blaming the clubs for the state of their home stadium is crazy.

Reply #2248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i was at the game last night and the stadium wasnt the only bad thing there the mc was horrible and personally girls shouldnt be doin it, it just doesnt sound riught and the only thing she said last night was "Nathan Hawks". on the stadiumsubject i remember at one stage of the game nick cambell ran into the wall then fell over into some spectators. i think its pretty stupid having it there when they could of had it at a neutral stadium like the dome. also the refs were horiible i can recall at least 10 - 20 travels and some of the fouls that were called and missed it was real bad. 1 positive though they were consitant all night with what they were calling. ne thoughts

Reply #2253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

does anyone have coments on the game and know why joel goddenough didnt get on much in the last half and why mike mckay didnt play much of the last quater when he was running hot

Reply #2254 | Report this post

bigfan  
Years ago

Joel had a stomach virus and was throwing up at half time. Tried to come back on but was not good. He will be fine next week. Cant wait for the final it should be a great game. Mavs by 10.

Reply #2273 | Report this post

Court Marshall  
Years ago

North lost because of 1 reason... Scott Loveday.

1. Why have McKay sitting on the bench in the 4th quarter, and then finally put him in with 2mins left. He didn't play much in the second half at all. He had Brad Davis in his hip pocket in the first half and I reckon he had 17 points in the first half (can anyone confirm this?) yet Loveday in all his wisdom, decides to sit him out when it is the 4th quarter of the preliminary final. You could tell McKay was fuming when he came out. He finished with 21, but could have easily had 30.

2. Hawkes fouled out without being told how many fouls he had (could tell by his reaction). He was the main reason North were doing so well and making the comeback. Also, good onya Nathan for sticking it up "j bags" and playing a heck of a game.

3. Loveday always takes way to long to decide to put his 2-2-1 full court trap on. Why is it only in the last quarter when they are down by over 10 that he decides to do it?

4. Eric Burdon was a flop for the play offs, yet Loveday had him in over McKay. If my memory serves me correctly, he made 2/20 for the play offs. Hello, McKay anyone??

5. Joel Goodenough was guarding Frangers in the second quarter, yet no one on the bench did anything about it. Mis-match anyone?

Credit to the North guys, they played their guts out. I thought the story in yesterdays paper was flattering to the Mavs, because North put a scare into them. Great game, good on North for putting up the extra stand, but where are your fans? Half of Mt. Barker was there and they made shit loads more noise than the 30 North supporters.

Reply #2274 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think McKay was taken off because he was missing shots. I don't know if Parrot Burdon was a better option because he has hardly been lighting it up, but he didn't underperform. Good game from Zorich who had the ball on the break a fair few times in the fourth quarter -- finished with a great 3-point play that was well-deserved.

The game was over, for me, when Bubble Bobble Bronson passed up a short-range jump-shot with no pressure. He later took and made a 3-point shot, so was it nerves or lack of range? Anyway, that missed opportunity would've made it a real contest.

As it was, it went down to fouls and free throws. Anyone catch any of the talk between Hawkes and Holmes?

Jacob goes into the GF averaging 38 and 20+.

Woodville to win, Ng with the high score, but Mavs get to have a run in Geelong anyway.

Reply #2277 | Report this post

Raab Himself  
Years ago

Saturday nights 'other' game was a fantastic contest. The crowd started building early with a good amount of support for both teams.

After a cracking start, the Eagles settled into a slower rythym and the Sabres were able to execute well on the break, the pinnacle, a transition triple from B. Bowley that ignited the Sabres. Flanagan was hot early for the Eagles and when she splashed a triple from the top, signs were ominous for the Sabres.

It wasn't until late in the second that the writing was on the wall. Screen started to up the ante scoring a majority of her first half 10 points in the final 3 minutes. Screens' defense was unrelenting, and even though my count is vague, would have taken 6 or more offensive fouls, albeit a couple were VERY questionable. This was a game breaking factor as she had 3 fouls early in the second half and had one of these gone the other way, the pressure would have been on.

In the end, it was a tight and scrapy contest with the girls constantly on the pine after lose balls.

Overall an unsatisfactory result for the Sturt girls who had more in the tank then the final score allowed. I think they finished the game with 44 points, surely that would be close to a season low. Credit to the Eagles defence.

As for next week, could it be one of the most one sided GF's of recent memory?

Reply #2280 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Only stat I can remember from the paper yesterday was that Newbold had 11. No one else in double-figures for Sturt unfortunately.

Reply #2285 | Report this post

X_factor  
Years ago

One sided? Don't think so.This is the Forestville girls 4th consecutive grand final. If any team knows what its all about it's the lady eagles, and this year, with nothing to lose, and heavily rated underdogs, they will be in the game for the whole 40 minutes. This one is going down to the wire.

North are definately a 15 point better team at Hillcrest, the eagles are a 10 point better team in grand finals, think that pretty much erases the margin of the first final these two teams met in two weeks ago, favouring the eagles.

Should be a ripper!

Reply #2287 | Report this post

Dog Nuts  
Years ago

i agree X factor!!!

Reply #2293 | Report this post

j bags  
Years ago

Hail-o-king Jacob!
Your crown duth awaiteth you, Oh great one!
Yee steller post season hath brought forth thou wonderous performances, and thus alloweth thee to challenge the great warriors of woodvillia!

Yee not so greateth showing by the rocket men from the North! As they arr outsted from thou finals race! Seems as though they dath put in a good showing! Too be sure, to be sure!!

The hawke hath changed his toon for a big game, which was a right royal change for the good. Arrrrrggghh!

Bags you are on crack!

Reply #2307 | Report this post

your_#1_fan  
Years ago

Isaac, what do you mean by "Parrot Burdon" and "Bubble Bobble Bronson" ??

Reply #2323 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hah, nothing. I just think Burdon looks a bit like a parrot. And Bronson's hair looks like one of those cartoon dinosaurs from Bubble Bobble. Good players, don't get me wrong, but I didn't know if they already had nicknames.

Reply #2328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha, okay Isaac.. If you dont know that Burdon's nickname is Eze, then where have you been!? Funny though.

Reply #2400 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:47 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754